What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

dreaded

Hello Hombre, you have beautiful cobbs. They dried for 2 days, i didn't think they were to wet. I was wrong. I was thinking to leave out to dry, & looking at them today, i think i will. Thanks for input.

dreaded

Pic from today. Taking out to dry for a day.

20220101_111934.jpg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
2 days is quite soon. I've done a couple like that but, like you, end up with very dark and initially very wet cobs. I'd be inclinded to let themdry for sevral days before doing any further fermentation.

Tangwena

Veteran
Wise words my friend when you get that much juice coming out of the cobs its a sure sign they were too moist in the beginning.
The good news is there is no resin lost in the juice, the juice has no psychoactive properties you may loose a bit of taste but not effect.
Best to dry as much as possible and go straight to the aging process as Hombre del mont has already suggested.

Yesterday was New Years day here and I decided to start the year with some Mulanje cob from my second Mulanje plant that I grew last year.
The effects lasted 12 hours I was full of energy and manicured a 3mtr high hedge that I normally loath doing as its about 25mtrs long.
I was actually enjoying the work and chatting to all the people passing by on the street ha ha. I was full of shit and had them all laughing at my observations.
when I returned inside my house my wife commented that she hadn't seen me in such fine form for a very long time.
She had tears rolling down her cheeks from the crazy shit I was spouting ha ha.
Feeling like king of the world doesn't even begin to describe how confident and on fire that high is.

Below is a pic of the plant in question the cobs are a lovely golden brown and have a flowery taste very pleasant but boy do they kick your ass into gear.
The high comes on as I chew them very fast acting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0613-web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	193.7 KB ID:	18029378

LostTribe

Premium user
Hey Tang!

I was thinking about making a cob out of some haze but its just now dried. A little too dry too. 50 RH. Can I still cob it?

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tang!

I was thinking about making a cob out of some haze but its just now dried. A little too dry too. 50 RH. Can I still cob it?

Best to just try it and see my friend RH numbers dont meen that much to me as I dont have a meter to measure them but bind it up and seal it and give it a go you have nothing to loose.

Here is some Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian I got out yesterday speed tripping all day long full of power and energy no paranoia just cock sure of myself I love it.
Smell is off the charts floral sweet pine and tastes the same like perfume.

IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG

LostTribe

Premium user
Best to just try it and see my friend RH numbers dont meen that much to me as I dont have a meter to measure them but bind it up and seal it and give it a go you have nothing to loose.

Here is some Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian I got out yesterday speed tripping all day long full of power and energy no paranoia just cock sure of myself I love it.
Smell is off the charts floral sweet pine and tastes the same like perfume.

I know they have dry mexican corn wraps locally is that ok or do they need to be fresh?

Holeshot51

Wise words my friend when you get that much juice coming out of the cobs its a sure sign they were too moist in the beginning.
The good news is there is no resin lost in the juice, the juice has no psychoactive properties you may loose a bit of taste but not effect.
Best to dry as much as possible and go straight to the aging process as Hombre del mont has already suggested.

Yesterday was New Years day here and I decided to start the year with some Mulanje cob from my second Mulanje plant that I grew last year.
The effects lasted 12 hours I was full of energy and manicured a 3mtr high hedge that I normally loath doing as its about 25mtrs long.
I was actually enjoying the work and chatting to all the people passing by on the street ha ha. I was full of shit and had them all laughing at my observations.
when I returned inside my house my wife commented that she hadn't seen me in such fine form for a very long time.
Feeling like king of the world doesn't even begin to describe how confident and on fire that high is.

Below is a pic of the plant in question the cobs are a lovely golden brown and have a flowery taste very pleasant but boy do they kick your ass into gear.

Hey Tang, what a beauty she is.!!
it’s been 2 years since my last grow. What a change Of life I have had.
I’m just trying to pop a few c5 haze x kalichina.
they are 2 years old , so hopefully they can sprout.
Hope you are doing well

Tangwena

Veteran
I know they have dry mexican corn wraps locally is that ok or do they need to be fresh?

Dry is fine my friend though some I know re hydrate them first, maybe as you think yours might be a little dry re hydrate the husks it cant hurt.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tang, what a beauty she is.!!
it’s been 2 years since my last grow. What a change Of life I have had.
I’m just trying to pop a few c5 haze x kalichina.
they are 2 years old , so hopefully they can sprout.
Hope you are doing well

Sounds like a good plan they should be really powerful with those genetics.
They say a change is as good as a rest.
I might have to change my cob tomorrow 5 days straight on this Mulanje is starting to unhinge my mind ha ha.
I might have to try the Panama x Honduras as its totally different but equally good if you get my drift ha ha.
Make 2020 your year my friend it already feels like its mine ha ha.

Sunshineinabag

I see a donkey dik

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
A couple of cobs that i opened for sniffing the other day.

Firstly a New caledonia cob that I made for a friend.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0981.JPG Views:	2 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	18032973

This cob was made with weed that had been dried for only about 24hrs! It was sweated fast and hard. It was very wet and unpleasant smelling when it was opened after about 8hrs, but as well as the unpleasant smell, i could detect fermentration. It was well dried in a warm room for some days, before getting sealed up for a week, dried again, sealed and left for another week before redrying. This went on a couple of times until i liked the smell. Now its a lovely deep fruity smell. Although the photo doesn't show it, crystals are starting to form on the outside. It's now sealed up and will age for several month's before being given back to it's owner in the summer.

And for comparison, here is a Panama cob made at the same time

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0981.JPG Views:	2 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	18032973

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0983.JPG Views:	2 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	18032976

This was made with weed that had hung drying for 4 days before doing 23hrs at 43c. Dried, sealed up, 5 days at 35c, dried and left for several weeks.

These are some of our cobs that are still in the "4-5 weeks curring" stage. I intend to open these over the next few days and dry them further for ageing. We also have others that are still in the earlier stages.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0983.JPG Views:	2 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	18032976

we also have some that we are eating! and today we've both had zamaldelicia cob, and very nice it is too. Mrs DM has had a small dose today, only 0.1g and says she's "nicely high, but i prefer the Panama". I'm very high!, but then I've had 3 doses of 0.5g over the course of the day ( i was working and didn't want to be too high too early in the day). As I sit here typing and melting into the keyboard, i'm starting to wonder if i actually needed to consume the most recent dose; I've been a Psychonaut all my life, so, no worries.

LostTribe my friend, as long as there is still some moisture in it, ie not yet fully ready to smoke, it'll ferment, albeit more slowly. I've done it with weed that had been in the jar for several days and had been "snap dry" before going into the jar, just dont expect to see moisture on opening the bag. I'd be tempted to seal them up, with or without the corn wrappers (i dont use anything), start them off nice and hot (45c) but after 12hrs reduce that to 35c for a week. Open them, sniff them, If moist, then let them dry to touch dry, before sealing up for a 4+ cure. If they are not moist, then just seal them back up, but leave them somewhere warm for several months as they'll take longer to cure. The smell will be somewhat lighter than that of the more moist cob.
From my experiments(Mad professor!) it seems that as long as there is some moisture ie the bacteria that do the magic are not dead( if it is indeed bacteria and not fairies?, who knows?) , then given a sealed enviroment and warmth, they'll do their magic, but just more slowly. When i made my first few cobs, i was a little worried that it might not work if everythig was not 100% right; Now i see that it will work, as long as there is some moisture, but that the results will just be different, still good, just different.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Taima-da

Enzymatic decay would be my guess. Once the plant is dry the enzymatic activity ceases and stuff don't cob, but I have found that, if you feel your material is getting too dry before you can cob it, you can stick the plant in to a bag to slow down initial moisture loss and it will still cob fine quite some time after harvest(opening daily to inspect and allow a little air exchange to prevent mould!).
I have been able to bag plants after five days hanging and cob clean mould free material at 9-10 days post, though as mentioned above, it may take longer for the initial ferment become apparent .
Sometimes I do the lazy persons cob and just strip off the stems or even just cob the whole plant. You have to pick out the leaves and stems before use but works fine. Best of last year was a "rustic" block that turned gold

Tangwena

Veteran
A couple of cobs that i opened for sniffing the other day.

Firstly a New caledonia cob that I made for a friend.

This cob was made with weed that had been dried for only about 24hrs! It was sweated fast and hard. It was very wet and unpleasant smelling when it was opened after about 8hrs, but as well as the unpleasant smell, i could detect fermentration. It was well dried in a warm room for some days, before getting sealed up for a week, dried again, sealed and left for another week before redrying. This went on a couple of times until i liked the smell. Now its a lovely deep fruity smell. Although the photo doesn't show it, crystals are starting to form on the outside. It's now sealed up and will age for several month's before being given back to it's owner in the summer.

And for comparison, here is a Panama cob made at the same time

This was made with weed that had hung drying for 4 days before doing 23hrs at 43c. Dried, sealed up, 5 days at 35c, dried and left for several weeks.

These are some of our cobs that are still in the "4-5 weeks curring" stage. I intend to open these over the next few days and dry them further for ageing. We also have others that are still in the earlier stages.

we also have some that we are eating! and today we've both had zamaldelicia cob, and very nice it is too. Mrs DM has had a small dose today, only 0.1g and says she's "nicely high, but i prefer the Panama". I'm very high!, but then I've had 3 doses of 0.5g over the course of the day ( i was working and didn't want to be too high too early in the day). As I sit here typing and melting into the keyboard, i'm starting to wonder if i actually needed to consume the most recent dose; I've been a Psychonaut all my life, so, no worries.

LostTribe my friend, as long as there is still some moisture in it, ie not yet fully ready to smoke, it'll ferment, albeit more slowly. I've done it with weed that had been in the jar for several days and had been "snap dry" before going into the jar, just dont expect to see moisture on opening the bag. I'd be tempted to seal them up, with or without the corn wrappers (i dont use anything), start them off nice and hot (45c) but after 12hrs reduce that to 35c for a week. Open them, sniff them, If moist, then let them dry to touch dry, before sealing up for a 4+ cure. If they are not moist, then just seal them back up, but leave them somewhere warm for several months as they'll take longer to cure. The smell will be somewhat lighter than that of the more moist cob.
From my experiments(Mad professor!) it seems that as long as there is some moisture ie the bacteria that do the magic are not dead( if it is indeed bacteria and not fairies?, who knows?) , then given a sealed enviroment and warmth, they'll do their magic, but just more slowly. When i made my first few cobs, i was a little worried that it might not work if everythig was not 100% right; Now i see that it will work, as long as there is some moisture, but that the results will just be different, still good, just different.

Lovely classical colours there brother the first picture looks like some I just scored off my gardener in Malawi ha ha. AND he always scored the BEST!
That Panama will only get better and better if you like it now wait until its 7 to 9 months aged spacey will not even describe it ha ha.

Seeing were in the mood for show and tell heres a few I made earlier from my Mulanje and Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian approaching 5 month to 6 months primo cure time and they are all powerful.

This first one on the left in the pic is super powerful smells like pine hash and hits hard straight away and lays me out I'm so out of touch with reality as I'm going up I'm numb all over.
After about an hour or so I start leveling out into an unreal world where I'm in it but out of it at the same time ha ha.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0981.JPG Views:	2 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	18032973

You can see the salts on this one big time its way to strong I need only 0.2g to loose control of my day love it.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0981.JPG Views:	2 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	18032973

These others are the mixed cobs Mulanje x Malawi Ethiopian they have a wonderful floral hashy sweet pine smell and taste. I haven't had much chance to play with them but the ones I have tasted are potent in the extreme real day changers.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Wow! They look so good! Very sexy!

The Panama cob that we're using is getting better week by week. Thankfully we have several, so will have plenty for later in the year/s.

Not much to report today; We're both cruising nicely now 5hrs into our daily dose. The intial first hours are extremly strong.

Tangwena

Veteran
Wow! They look so good! Very sexy!

The Panama cob that we're using is getting better week by week. Thankfully we have several, so will have plenty for later in the year/s.

Not much to report today; We're both cruising nicely now 5hrs into our daily dose. The intial first hours are extremly strong.

I just love the first 3 or 4 hours going up as well the cruise once you reach altitude is just the cream on the cake brother.
Panama is deceptive in its power especially on higher doses. The Panama x Honduras is a lovely mix of crazy and energy you can tell its got Panama in it but the extras are what makes it special.
Once the cobs have a few more months aging you will see and feel the difference.
Wish I was there to try them myself looking at the pics I just want to slice off a piece ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
So now is much later in the day, in fact it's evening time, just after diner and the fire is burning nicely.

Earlier this afternoon I took out a few more cobs for sniffing and drying,
IMG_0986.JPG

Panama

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

Zamaldelica

IMG_0990.JPG

New Caledonia
IMG_0992.JPG

More panama
IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG