What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

0x942

Aging... Christmas gonna be fun time, haha !
Happy COBbing to everyone in this thread ! :bump:

zcheese-cob.JPG

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Tangwena,

Well i made one yesterday (40% fresh/60% dried). Even if it doesn't work completely, the wet bud should still ferment and I'll end up with an interesting smoking cob. I also made up 3 larger SMH cobs. Unfortunately I don't have access to a camera at the moment, so can't put any photo's up.

So far we've only tried the Panama (1st harvest) cob and the Zamaldelecia cob. The Panama was our first harvested and therefore the first of the cobs to be made (20/10/21) and it is more ready than the Zamal. My wife is using it most days and is getting a euphoric, motivated high from as little as 0.13g. I'm taking 0.5-1.0g and feel it still lacks something, but it is only a few weeks old, so i have no concerns. The Golden tiger that came down a couple of weeks ago, is already really powerful and the cobs made from her are going to be dangerous. The early samples from the SMH buds...wow!, so again the cobs will be very strong. I might try a little of the first of the Caledonia cob later today when the wife gets home.

We are spoilt for weed here at the moment, 2 different phenos of New Caledonia, Zamaldelicia, Panama, Golden Tiger (my all time favorite weed) and Super Malawi haze. Plus i have a few small samples of friends weed. I have so many cobs!, different ferments, different temps. Next year is going to be crazy here in our little mountain hideaway. Once the cobs are properly ready, i want to stop smoking it all together and just eat a piece of cob with my breakfast; Where we live it's acceptable to walk around in an altered state. I remember reading one of your posts in which you said something to the effect of, "Only Witch doctors eat it", I like the idea of that. I can see that if I covert to eating cob only, then i have enough cobbed weed to last us several years. Thinking about it, even if i don't stop smoking, we still have enough to last a couple of years. A good position to be in. I'm already thinking of what to grow next year. I wish I'd grabbed a packet of the Old Timers Haze before they all went; On a good year we have the climate to grow really long flowering plants and once we get past the end of October, the chances of being ripped off are minimal. Any suggestions would be welcome; I particularly want one that is especially racey with a little anxiety (at least initially).

My mission for the year is to convert as many of the hardened smokers/growers that I know to cobbing. Last year, I only used a little of my harvest for cobs and didn't have enough to give lots away. For months now I've been telling people how strong cobbed weed is, and that just 1gm will have them flying all day. Soon I'll be in the position to dispense little packets of goodness to them!. Most of the growers here are either Indica or hybrids. I don't know anyone else who only grows Sativas. Recently I chap said to me that he used to grow Sativas, but that he found that he didn't get high after a while and now grows Indicas exclusively; I'm thinking that a well aged Golden Tiger or some Super Malawi Haze ought to rectify that for him. It also means that I'm able to swap a little of my stash for some good "glue you to the chair" Indicas.

Mallitlahuani

Hi Tangwena,

Well i made one yesterday (40% fresh/60% dried). Even if it doesn't work completely, the wet bud should still ferment and I'll end up with an interesting smoking cob. I also made up 3 larger SMH cobs. Unfortunately I don't have access to a camera at the moment, so can't put any photo's up.

So far we've only tried the Panama (1st harvest) cob and the Zamaldelecia cob. The Panama was our first harvested and therefore the first of the cobs to be made (20/10/21) and it is more ready than the Zamal. My wife is using it most days and is getting a euphoric, motivated high from as little as 0.13g. I'm taking 0.5-1.0g and feel it still lacks something, but it is only a few weeks old, so i have no concerns. The Golden tiger that came down a couple of weeks ago, is already really powerful and the cobs made from her are going to be dangerous. The early samples from the SMH buds...wow!, so again the cobs will be very strong. I might try a little of the first of the Caledonia cob later today when the wife gets home.

We are spoilt for weed here at the moment, 2 different phenos of New Caledonia, Zamaldelicia, Panama, Golden Tiger (my all time favorite weed) and Super Malawi haze. Plus i have a few small samples of friends weed. I have so many cobs!, different ferments, different temps. Next year is going to be crazy here in our little mountain hideaway. Once the cobs are properly ready, i want to stop smoking it all together and just eat a piece of cob with my breakfast; Where we live it's acceptable to walk around in an altered state. I remember reading one of your posts in which you said something to the effect of, "Only Witch doctors eat it", I like the idea of that. I can see that if I covert to eating cob only, then i have enough cobbed weed to last us several years. Thinking about it, even if i don't stop smoking, we still have enough to last a couple of years. A good position to be in. I'm already thinking of what to grow next year. I wish I'd grabbed a packet of the Old Timers Haze before they all went; On a good year we have the climate to grow really long flowering plants and once we get past the end of October, the chances of being ripped off are minimal. Any suggestions would be welcome; I particularly want one that is especially racey with a little anxiety (at least initially).

My mission for the year is to convert as many of the hardened smokers/growers that I know to cobbing. Last year, I only used a little of my harvest for cobs and didn't have enough to give lots away. For months now I've been telling people how strong cobbed weed is, and that just 1gm will have them flying all day. Soon I'll be in the position to dispense little packets of goodness to them!. Most of the growers here are either Indica or hybrids. I don't know anyone else who only grows Sativas. Recently I chap said to me that he used to grow Sativas, but that he found that he didn't get high after a while and now grows Indicas exclusively; I'm thinking that a well aged Golden Tiger or some Super Malawi Haze ought to rectify that for him. It also means that I'm able to swap a little of my stash for some good "glue you to the chair" Indicas.

hey hombre, I wanted to share an experiment that I did with some very oily wet jack herrer and some too dry, stem snapping jamaican that was sun dried, I made a dense inner core of the jack and then rolled the dry bud of the Jamaican on the outside. After 2 months I did notice that the Jamaican began to turn a goldenish color and the high improved a lot.

i just wanted to share because I believe that if the fresh plant juices can penetrate into the resin glands of the dryer herb your using it will totally cob, just takes longer.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hombre del mont you are doing gods work brother I just hope this time next year your still sane ha ha.
Golden Tiger and SMH should be able to cut through even the most dyed in the wool Indica user ha ha.
When you open the cobs to test please please beg or steal a camera and post picks I'm dying to see your work.

Tangwena

Veteran
Love this thread Tang.. have read every page, I have currently got growing super Malawi haze, Panama x Thai and my own cross of mango Thai X OTH. Think I should get some good cobs out of these.
First two pics are old mango (mango Thai X OTH) and the last is my Panama x Thai

Holy crap those buds look insane for indoors brother making my mouth drool just looking at them.
Cobbed they will be fantastic your in for a real treat.
Good on you I wish you every success.

Tangwena

Veteran
hey hombre, I wanted to share an experiment that I did with some very oily wet jack herrer and some too dry, stem snapping jamaican that was sun dried, I made a dense inner core of the jack and then rolled the dry bud of the Jamaican on the outside. After 2 months I did notice that the Jamaican began to turn a goldenish color and the high improved a lot.

i just wanted to share because I believe that if the fresh plant juices can penetrate into the resin glands of the dryer herb your using it will totally cob, just takes longer.

Thanks for posting we learn something every day my friend the beauty of the internet.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity

We're thinking on similar lines.😊

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Happy Christmas to you all and wishing you all an awesome forthcoming year!

Here in the Mountains, our year is going to be the year of the cob.

So today i opened up a couple of Goldern tiger cobs that were made a few weeks back. I forgot the date ( it's on the bag, but that's in another room and i've just sat down. The gram of Panama cob that i took an hour ago is coming on real strong.). They hung for 4 day's, 12hrs at 40c, no real sweet but very moist, touch dry and then 35c for 6 days. Dried for several days, before being sealed up for... a while, ( i can't remember, i'm not standing up and for some reason my head is pulsating and from above my eye's it's expanding about 50cms in all directions!). So earlier today I took them out for a sniff and a photo for you guy's.

Firstly the smell. Very sweet leather, with a little bit of petrol. It's so sweet! Intoxicating. Very sexy and exotic, it's something that you instictivly know is special.

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

The photo's look exciting, but the smell is something else!.

So now these 2 will dry for several days before being vacced up again to start to age.

Enjoy the festivities! I'm off to try and walk now!

Saludos

funkyhorse

Hi Tangwena
Merry Christmas and enjoy all festivities
This picture is from mexcurandero420 instagram
The fastest cans took 9 months to arrive to shore, the ones which went southwards took more than a year
They all were on tropical open ocean at a constant water temperature of around 25C. A very slow cooking sous vide or bain marie if you like

This picture is Fumo da Lata, photo taken in year 1988. What do you think Tangwena? Did it ferment on the way to shore???
0002.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Happy Christmas to you all and wishing you all an awesome forthcoming year!

Here in the Mountains, our year is going to be the year of the cob.

So today i opened up a couple of Goldern tiger cobs that were made a few weeks back. I forgot the date ( it's on the bag, but that's in another room and i've just sat down. The gram of Panama cob that i took an hour ago is coming on real strong.). They hung for 4 day's, 12hrs at 40c, no real sweet but very moist, touch dry and then 35c for 6 days. Dried for several days, before being sealed up for... a while, ( i can't remember, i'm not standing up and for some reason my head is pulsating and from above my eye's it's expanding about 50cms in all directions!). So earlier today I took them out for a sniff and a photo for you guy's.

Firstly the smell. Very sweet leather, with a little bit of petrol. It's so sweet! Intoxicating. Very sexy and exotic, it's something that you instictivly know is special.

The photo's look exciting, but the smell is something else!.

So now these 2 will dry for several days before being vacced up again to start to age.

Enjoy the festivities! I'm off to try and walk now!

Saludos

Oh my word brother I wish I was there for a sniff they look stunning and after a few months aging will no doubt make your life seem like another galaxy far away ha ha.
I love the cobbed effects of Panama myself, its a big surprise or it was to me after reading all the reports of how spacey and cruisy the effects were I was not ready when it hit ha ha.
It did get cruisy around 4 hours later but it was initially a strong trippy out of control mind expanding trip. I remember getting lost in my own house on the darker ferments ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena
Merry Christmas and enjoy all festivities
This picture is from mexcurandero420 instagram
The fastest cans took 9 months to arrive to shore, the ones which went southwards took more than a year
They all were on tropical open ocean at a constant water temperature of around 25C. A very slow cooking sous vide or bain marie if you like

This picture is Fumo da Lata, photo taken in year 1988. What do you think Tangwena? Did it ferment on the way to shore???

Def wouldn't of hurt thats for sure, I would have liked to have tried some thats for sure.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
So, yesterday i took out the 3 Super Malawi Haze and the experimental, fresh Super malawi Haze mixed with 2 yr old bud, cob. They are all ready for drying out a little more, before sticking them away at room temp for a month or thereabouts, (the experimental bud will get much longer i think).

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​

Regular cob above. These guy's have a lovely deep rich fruit cake sort of smell and despite being a different pheno from last year, the smell does remnid me of last year's SMH cobs.

And the experimental dude below

This little guy is lighter in colour and also lighter in smell. It has a lovely, light sweet smell, almost perfume of some sort. It's still fruity but a much lighter fruit cake, one made with white sugar rather than a dark brown sticky one. It reminds me of somethinng, but i forget what. No worries.

3 day's ago i did a strange thing. I woke up in the morning and thought, " i don't want to smoke anymore" and haven't since. I was smoking a small amount of tabacco, about 20%, in my spliffs, so not a lot, but 50 yrs of it can't be good. I was intending to do this in a few weeks, when the cobs are a little more aged, but here we are, 3 days down the line. I have been struggling, especially in the mornings, but eating the cob really helps, Plus i'm loving the intensity, but also the clarity that eating cob brings. I have been vapping a bit a well.

Today has been a strange day. I've been nibbling on different cobs every few hours!
A friend visited this morning for coffee (I make Good Coffee!), just as i was starting to come up on the Panama cob. I appologised to him if I seemed crazy today, but i was flying!. He said "Hombre, your always crazy!". I took it as a big compliment.

Talking of coffee, The morning after Christmas day, some younger friends had invited us to their house for coffee. They live in the middle of nowhere, up a silly mountain track. Just as we're about to leave our house, Mrs DM gets a message, "Ask Hombre to bring some of his good coffee". I get there after a hideous mountain track drive and they say "Hombre you make it, you make good coffee". it turns out that their pot for 4 had a broken seal and the pot for two had no handle. I ended up making 2 batches of 2, using oven gloves and also
givnig a tutorial on the finer point's of Moka pot coffee. Everyone enjoyed the coffee. The gentleman of the house also had 0.5g Panama cob. When we left an hour and a half later, he was getting silly high. Eveyone had a lovely time!

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my storries, but i blame the cob.

Have a great new year people.

Sending good wishes to you all from Mrs Dm, Our 5 pussy rats, the mountains and myself

Tangwena

Veteran
So, yesterday i took out the 3 Super Malawi Haze and the experimental, fresh Super malawi Haze mixed with 2 yr old bud, cob. They are all ready for drying out a little more, before sticking them away at room temp for a month or thereabouts, (the experimental bud will get much longer i think).

​​

Regular cob above. These guy's have a lovely deep rich fruit cake sort of smell and despite being a different pheno from last year, the smell does remnid me of last year's SMH cobs.

And the experimental dude below

This little guy is lighter in colour and also lighter in smell. It has a lovely, light sweet smell, almost perfume of some sort. It's still fruity but a much lighter fruit cake, one made with white sugar rather than a dark brown sticky one. It reminds me of somethinng, but i forget what. No worries.

3 day's ago i did a strange thing. I woke up in the morning and thought, " i don't want to smoke anymore" and haven't since. I was smoking a small amount of tabacco, about 20%, in my spliffs, so not a lot, but 50 yrs of it can't be good. I was intending to do this in a few weeks, when the cobs are a little more aged, but here we are, 3 days down the line. I have been struggling, especially in the mornings, but eating the cob really helps, Plus i'm loving the intensity, but also the clarity that eating cob brings. I have been vapping a bit a well.

Today has been a strange day. I've been nibbling on different cobs every few hours!
A friend visited this morning for coffee (I make Good Coffee!), just as i was starting to come up on the Panama cob. I appologised to him if I seemed crazy today, but i was flying!. He said "Hombre, your always crazy!". I took it as a big compliment.

Talking of coffee, The morning after Christmas day, some younger friends had invited us to their house for coffee. They live in the middle of nowhere, up a silly mountain track. Just as we're about to leave our house, Mrs DM gets a message, "Ask Hombre to bring some of his good coffee". I get there after a hideous mountain track drive and they say "Hombre you make it, you make good coffee". it turns out that their pot for 4 had a broken seal and the pot for two had no handle. I ended up making 2 batches of 2, using oven gloves and also
givnig a tutorial on the finer point's of Moka pot coffee. Everyone enjoyed the coffee. The gentleman of the house also had 0.5g Panama cob. When we left an hour and a half later, he was getting silly high. Eveyone had a lovely time!

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my storries, but i blame the cob.

Have a great new year people.

Sending good wishes to you all from Mrs Dm, Our 5 pussy rats, the mountains and myself

Brother I love reading your stories please dont stop to me they are the spice of life its exactly how I roll while high on cobs even the most mundane things you have done every day your whole life take on a new joy EVERY time ha ha.
You have been elevated to the brotherhood my friend its a group of fellow chewers who know the joy of life from this wonderful medicine bless you are Knighted and arise Sir Del Mont ha ha.

There are some styles of cob cure that have a very perfumed exotic smell usually the drier style. I have never been able to reproduce them. I have an idea in my head of how they were made but never have enough buds to play with.
Along with a few other exotic styles they remain in my to do list its a life long project ha ha.

dreaded

Happy New Year everyone....
my first attempt at cobbing went well. So, here we are again. This time some strawberry Diesel & sssdh.

20211229_083807.jpg

Above Pic is after the fermentation stage. If you look at the top cob you can see resin/ moisture coming through. I took out, dried & put back in vac bag without putting back in cob for a week. Next day I come back to see this.....

20220101_000900.jpg

:laughing:.
Hadn't seen that before. Soooo, I took out & dried the best I could & wrapped back in cob hoping that if still to wet the cob would suck up some moisture.
they are still under temp for 5 more days. I think these will be better the second time around. Checking moisture levels daily now. The cob smells very nice. My cobs so far all have turned dark, still nice though.

Here's a Pic of the cob that was to wet after the fermentation stage.

20211231_115355.jpg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Dreaded, how many days did they dry before being cobbed?.

If after fermentation my cobs are very wet, then i will let them dry in a warm room for sevral days before resealing them for 2nd ferment. The drier i make my cobs, the lighter the colour.

In a few days I will have some new vaccum roll and will be opening up most of this years cobs for inspection and possibly then drying out even further before being sealed up for .....? .

I will be uploading photos!