What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Having another go at cobbing, this time with two proper sativas.
Khmer gold and green honduran haze.
Both flowered for 19 weeks
Khmer gold was made into fake thai sticks and the green haze blocks.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74919&pictureid=1990628View Image Khmer gold being loaded https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74919&pictureid=1990627View Image Some of the very stringy green haze https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74919&pictureid=1990629View Image

For the inspiration and information to follow through I will always be grateful to you, Tangwena.
Thank you much.
Thank you my friend its what its about spreading the word.
Those are perfect for this type of cure best of luck my friend.

BoldAsLove

Veteran
Hey Tangwena, hope all is well. The recipe keeps getting better! My first attempts were at the beginning of the thread, but I read through again and gave it another shot. Here are the results of my latest attempt:

1980 Santa Marta Colombian Gold x PCK
Plant #7. The smell at harvest is citrus, bananas, and sunscreen.
picture.php

This one was dried 2.5 days, sweat for 24 hrs and this is after a one week ferment. The smell was oranges, chocolate and flowers.
picture.php

This is after a 4 week ferment and 2 weeks aged. Smell was lemon lime soda, root beer, chocolate—very sweet, complex and addicting.
picture.php

You have done an excellent job working towards the top shelf cob cure Tangwena. This last cob tasted and smelled great. The effect of this plant just dried is very euphoric and dreamy but not so trippy. The cob was euphoric to the point of giggling. Really great effect. I couldn’t keep my hands off it long enough to get a proper aged sample though.

I cobbed another entire plant from that line, but experimented with a one day dry instead of your recommendation. The bag stained amber with that liquid, and the smells never developed like that first cob. It has mostly smelled like olives and pickles, but a faint smell of the freshly harvested plant - fine hand soaps like rich people have - still exists. I think I should have stopped the ferment on these after two weeks. The effect was spacey with some visual shimmers. I let it ferment a full month before drying though and the effect became more subdued and not as trippy. I will get a well aged sample from these though. I still have a cob and a half of it, it has aged one month now. Right now it is just very spacey, I suppose some could call it trippy but I always look for visual effects as the hallmark.

Here’s a shot of that plant growing, #5:

picture.php

Here’s a shot of those cobs at their best, the two week ferment point:

picture.php

I see that you recently said to age them at that same warm temp as when fermenting. I switched them back to the warm temp after I read that. Room temp was where they were aging for the first month around 21 degrees C. Now around 27-28 C.

I appreciate you Tangwena. Thanks again.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tangwena, hope all is well. The recipe keeps getting better! My first attempts were at the beginning of the thread, but I read through again and gave it another shot. Here are the results of my latest attempt:

1980 Santa Marta Colombian Gold x PCK
Plant #7. The smell at harvest is citrus, bananas, and sunscreen.
View Image

This one was dried 2.5 days, sweat for 24 hrs and this is after a one week ferment. The smell was oranges, chocolate and flowers.
View Image

This is after a 4 week ferment and 2 weeks aged. Smell was lemon lime soda, root beer, chocolate—very sweet, complex and addicting.
View Image

You have done an excellent job working towards the top shelf cob cure Tangwena. This last cob tasted and smelled great. The effect of this plant just dried is very euphoric and dreamy but not so trippy. The cob was euphoric to the point of giggling. Really great effect. I couldn’t keep my hands off it long enough to get a proper aged sample though.

I cobbed another entire plant from that line, but experimented with a one day dry instead of your recommendation. The bag stained amber with that liquid, and the smells never developed like that first cob. It has mostly smelled like olives and pickles, but a faint smell of the freshly harvested plant - fine hand soaps like rich people have - still exists. I think I should have stopped the ferment on these after two weeks. The effect was spacey with some visual shimmers. I let it ferment a full month before drying though and the effect became more subdued and not as trippy. I will get a well aged sample from these though. I still have a cob and a half of it, it has aged one month now. Right now it is just very spacey, I suppose some could call it trippy but I always look for visual effects as the hallmark.

Here’s a shot of that plant growing, #5:

View Image

Here’s a shot of those cobs at their best, the two week ferment point:

View Image

I see that you recently said to age them at that same warm temp as when fermenting. I switched them back to the warm temp after I read that. Room temp was where they were aging for the first month around 21 degrees C. Now around 27-28 C.

I appreciate you Tangwena. Thanks again.
Hi brother beautiful work both on the plant and that first cob.
You are on the right track with that first one the colors and smells guide you as you get better with this style of curing.

The results speak for themselves in the fact that you loved the taste smell and most importantly the high.
Thats what its all about getting the result you like your own taste.

I am still learning every harvest.
There are members not to far away who have access to large harvests who are doing multiple variations on starting dryness and sweating times.
Its all about sharing our results the more people experimenting the finer the cures.
Most important is documentation so 6 months down the track you can reproduce something that has excelled itself and ticked all the boxes.

You know when your on the right track as you found with your first cure in this post. Hats off to you my friend thanks for sharing you excellent results

S

Sertaiz

gorgeous plants and cobs!! thanks for posting.

i just made a cob from some lambsbread×original haze.... let it sweat for 3 days, probably too long, it looked pretty at 24 hours.... but now a little drier and fermenting a bit cooler.

Tangwena

Veteran
gorgeous plants and cobs!! thanks for posting.

i just made a cob from some lambsbread×original haze.... let it sweat for 3 days, probably too long, it looked pretty at 24 hours.... but now a little drier and fermenting a bit cooler.
Any pics brother?
I am flying so high on some Mulanje cob when I come down I forget how sweet this trip is ha ha.
Life is so cool just cruising along in a hollywood movie.
I feel motivated to go for a long walk in the sun and experience all the sublime telepathic messages I pick up from all the beautiful creatures I interact with ha ha.
Snap back to your post, pictures paint a thousand words especially today ha ha.

Hi Tangwena!

Have I understood this instruktion correctly, tjat you furst sweat 6 h at around 40 degrees C. Then you ferment for 5-7 days at 25-30 degrees C. And then? The following 3-4 weeks, are they at 25-30 degrees or cooler, eg. roomtemp at my place is around 18 degrees.

Thanks!

You can see the perspiration in the bags and the calyx have changed to a tan color.
These will now be opened and dried with paper towels before being resealed in a dried bag to carry on the process.
In 5 to 7 days they will be opened again and dried gently until they feel dry to the touch on the outside skin but still moist inside.
Then resealed and this process repeated weekly for 3 to 4 weeks.

Around the 3rd or 4th week depending on the smell they will be sealed and left for a month after drying to start the aging process.

View Image View Image View Image View Image

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena!

Have I understood this instruktion correctly, tjat you furst sweat 6 h at around 40 degrees C. Then you ferment for 5-7 days at 25-30 degrees C. And then? The following 3-4 weeks, are they at 25-30 degrees or cooler, eg. roomtemp at my place is around 18 degrees.

Thanks!
That will work fine 18 degrees just means slower curing.
Dont forget to inspect them every 5 to 7 days open the bag and dry them until they feel dry on the outside then reseal them.
Good luck once you smell a very sweet hashish smell dry them to keep them nice and smelly.

'Boogieman'

If somebody likes the cold paranoid high from some sativas (it gets me even higher when I'm paranoid) would this not be recommended?

Tangwena

Veteran
If somebody likes the cold paranoid high from some sativas (it gets me even higher when I'm paranoid) would this not be recommended?
I'm not sure what you are saying forgive me if I have misunderstood you.

If a person doesn't like a particular type of effect its real easy to grow something that they do like.
Not all sativas are cold and paranoid.
I myself do not like cold or paranoid type of highs I like happy spaced out trippy types.
I know of a few strains that I would not grow due to being too nervy and cold thats not my idea of a good high. But to each his own as they say.

If you like getting that sort of high then curing this way should make it even more enjoyable for you, the main benefit is smoother smoking thats the reason to cure it in the first place as you know.
The resin is aged/cured as well during this process and that effects the high obviously, its just a case of whether you like the changes.

It also makes it worked chewed without having to decarb it first for some reason.
I have had to stop smoking after 40 years of hitting it hard my lungs are stuffed. So I am really happy that I can still get high from chewing a piece of cob and like most edibles it lasts for ever lucky me.

Thanks Tangwena!
Good to know it works in 18c.
But you leave them at 25-30c for The full 4 weeks then?
That will work fine 18 degrees just means slower curing.
Dont forget to inspect them every 5 to 7 days open the bag and dry them until they feel dry on the outside then reseal them.
Good luck once you smell a very sweet hashish smell dry them to keep them nice and smelly.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks Tangwena!
Good to know it works in 18c.
But you leave them at 25-30c for The full 4 weeks then?
After sweating you inspect them weekly if after 2 or 3 weeks you like the smell of the curing buds you can dry them to stop the cure at that spot or leave them for 4 weeks its up to you.

As you get more experienced you will develop your own technique every type of bud cures differently.
Use your nose when it smells sweet and like hashish or fermented fruit and flowers when you open the bag then its done nicely.
If you allow it to continue past that point it will loose a lot of flavor and taste.

The recipe is just a general guide experience makes it easier but the recipe will get you a good result.

Once you have done a few cures you will learn how to get it exactly the way you like it for your taste.

S

Sertaiz

away from the cob for a bit but will put one up when i return.... my dog and i miss each other....can feel her... much love to all.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I tried this two years ago and kinda messed it up. But now I have researched it again since so many are reporting great results.

What is the absolute minimum amount that people have cobbed successfully?

I just tried 1/4 oz of 3 day dried Ethiopia x Malawi. Wrapped in parchment paper because I have no corn husks. I do have a vac sealer though. It has been sealed.

It is winter and the house is cold at night. I decided to fill a large thermos with hot water and give it a sweat at 100f in the hot water bath. I think this should work well.

S

Sertaiz

moisture content matters more than amount, imo.
just different issues with different sizes, have to be precise with drying after the initial ferment and not over dry. i usually dry about 2 days before my initial ferment but its hot where i am and i dry fast...

Tangwena

Veteran
I tried this two years ago and kinda messed it up. But now I have researched it again since so many are reporting great results.

What is the absolute minimum amount that people have cobbed successfully?

I just tried 1/4 oz of 3 day dried Ethiopia x Malawi. Wrapped in parchment paper because I have no corn husks. I do have a vac sealer though. It has been sealed.

It is winter and the house is cold at night. I decided to fill a large thermos with hot water and give it a sweat at 100f in the hot water bath. I think this should work well.
What Sertaiz said is spot on the easiest way is just put as much as you can spare in a vacuum bag bunched up into a ball.
The bag will flatten it when the vacuum is pulled and go from there nothing could be easier should work a treat just sweat open and dry as per recipe and bobs your uncle.
In a clear bag you can see the color change occurring so its easier to get the timing right until you get good at it.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
My thermos is working great! About 12 hours in and I can see some moisture in the bag so it is definitely sweating. I will give it a day, see how it smells, then dry it a bit and give it more sweat time. I grew up on a farm so I know what fresh fermenting sileage smells like, as well as the final product. :)

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I have a small Panama that will be coming down in a couple of weeks, and also a nice Zamaldelica that is a week or two from done. So lots of opportunities to get this right are coming up.

Tangwena

Veteran
The thermos trick is excellent, just in case no one else has tried it. Just hot tap water and it will stay hot for hours, especially if you have a good thermos which this is not because it's really a coffee cup...The cob has definitely got a sweat going on though.

View Image View Image
Looking good my friend the yogurt makers on ebay are just the ticket $60 and they keep a perfect 40c good for small batches.
It doesn't matter how you do but warmth is the secret good luck looking good so far.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks man. I will check out the yogurt makers if I decide I want to do a lot of this. I want to master it though so I can add it to my bag of tricks...I'm trying to get better at curing this year. Also hash making and I've been learning a lot from Frenchies videos on YouTube.

Latest posts

Latest posts