What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tang you're the fucking best man... I'm so god damn high off a cob right now that I need to go lay down and try to fall asleep. This purple haze x honduras is playing tricks on my mind. Been laying on the floor giggling like an idiot pissing my wife off.
How does the song go "thats the way aha aha I like it aha aha thats way aha aha I like it aha aha"
love your work brother.

Hi everyone & Hi Tangwena!
Thank you for the beautiful thread!

Sorry for interrupting..

recently I decided to reg here in the forums and would like to thank you with all my green passion, Tangwena. The method you share with us is almost another separate universe in curing!
I'm always cobing ~half of each crop for few years (not very much :) ).

I've been stalking for several years now and experimented with mainly indica hybrids such as NL, Blue Mystic, GSC (dif seeds), WW.

Now for the first time i took some pictures which i wanted to share.

picture.php

2 White Widow cobs
I put in some socks, behind the radiator for a day or two

picture.php

rolled the natural way - with hands like playing with clay

picture.php

white widow, carefully removed almost any possible sticks

picture.php

One last piece (~2g) from the previous white widow cob (from the same mother) - it was about an oz
I think the material was lil too dry when went into the cob.
After 40h at ~50C - 4 months later - this is it

Tried my best with the phone i got. Hope you have blissful weekend!

Peace and love

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi everyone & Hi Tangwena!
Thank you for the beautiful thread!

Sorry for interrupting..

recently I decided to reg here in the forums and would like to thank you with all my green passion, Tangwena. The method you share with us is almost another separate universe in curing!
I'm always cobing ~half of each crop for few years (not very much :) ).

I've been stalking for several years now and experimented with mainly indica hybrids such as NL, Blue Mystic, GSC (dif seeds), WW.

Now for the first time i took some pictures which i wanted to share.

View Image
2 White Widow cobs
I put in some socks, behind the radiator for a day or two

View Image
rolled the natural way - with hands like playing with clay

View Image
white widow, carefully removed almost any possible sticks

View Image
One last piece (~2g) from the previous white widow cob (from the same mother) - it was about an oz
I think the material was lil too dry when went into the cob.
After 40h at ~50C - 4 months later - this is it

Tried my best with the phone i got. Hope you have blissful weekend!

Peace and love
Thanks for the kind words and glad you are finding such great results. For some reason I cant see the pics on your post.
Is it just me or can anybody else see them?

pardon me - i meant that cobbing is totally another universe in curing - i just saw my mistake...
:respect:
and also - changed the album to public from private, hope this changes the state of the images so you can see them. I'm new and not sure if this may change a thing :|

Regards

Tangwena

Veteran
pardon me - i meant that cobbing is totally another universe in curing - i just saw my mistake...
:respect:
and also - changed the album to public from private, hope this changes the state of the images so you can see them. I'm new and not sure if this may change a thing :|

Regards
Thats better I can see them now looking good my friend that chunk looks cool.
I also do cures like that, less moist going in gives a nice aromatic result.
I will be doing something similar with the Punto Rojo cross I have going at the moment.
I will probably do both a wet and a drier cure to see which suites the high better.
please feel free to post as many of your cob cures as you like its nice to see others work and we are all here to learn from each other.
Hats off to you my friend nice job.

Kaskadian

Veteran
I think someone posted a pic of a cob from Chipote in Zambia on the Malawi border exact same color man thats dead authentic.
Nice one brother LOVE your work.

Thanks man! Good teachers go a long way! ;) You taught me the way of the cob.

A little goes a long way with this stuff. I rolled a pin joint with some of this earlier today, smoke is so smooth it feels like it's vaporized. Electric in the head right from the beginning. Gradually creeps up on ya even in small doses. Becomes trippy pretty fast with things out of the corner of my eyes playing tricks on me (damn shadow people!). Anything more than 0.5g can be terrifying when chewed.

Gave myself a legitimate panic attack the other night when I bit off a wad without weighing it like a dumbass.

Big Nasty

Time for a smoke report:
picture.php

The first cob is one of the most potent pot i've ever smoked:the first hour is overwhelming,lots of visual effects,waves,a bit of anxiety and paranoia,blurred vision and super red eyes,it's speedy and i feel the need to move but then(1 hour later) i take a loooong breath and suddenly everything is cool,big smile on my face,munchies out of control.Crazy stuff,taste and aromas are similar to jar cured weed,not really smooth to smoke.
picture.php

The second one is not very potent but is so damn tasty,the smoke is fresh and balsamic,spicy and earthy:it hits me immediately,like 20 seconds and a big grin shows on my face,this must be a great anti-depressant and the high is so comfortable,great for watching a good comedy,the downside is sleepiness.I misjudged it initially,i can't stop smoking this cob,it's really pleasant.
This cure never cease to surprise me,thanks to master Tangwena and the fellow cobbers.

Tangwena

Veteran
Sounds like you have found the great mystery of this cure. Its very hard to reproduce the exact same results in every cob.
You can make 6 cobs on the same day from the same plant and every cob will have a different character.

The ones you like the most for whatever reason be it taste or smell or effect will get you hooked trying to reproduce it forever.
I have pieces of cobs that I keep and only sample occasionally because I love the effects so much and I know they are unique and never to be reproduced.

All you can do is keep detailed notes of everything you did on all your cobs and gradually build up a recipe over time that produces the results you desire.
You are always learning and seeking improvements its the way of the cob a life time seeking perfection.
Those cobs look amazing I love the colors its very hard to get that level of cure my friend hats off to your creative work.

F

Fermented

A couple of fat ones by a friend the bigger one is a half pound.

Next week there will be a photo of pound sized cob, 3 days later another will post a kilo cob...lol

F

Fermented

I'm experimenting with a longer initial sweating phase....24 instead of 12~24 hours I've done previously.

I've also tried several cobs I've made recently, the ones that were made from B grade material (early picked due to mold damage, storm damage, die off, breakages etc) were still crappy B grade after cobbing and storage for several months.

As mentioned in this thread, crappy material won't magically turn into fantastic smoke with this method, but the bud that was made into cobs from well grown, mature plants will produce a high that would be rated as better/higher/stronger etc than the bud from the same tree than wasn't cobbed.

Happy Cobbing!

F

Fermented

editing is not possible for members with less than 50 posts

edit : I will be sweating for 48 hours this time, not 12~24 hours I've done previously

Tangwena

Veteran
editing is not possible for members with less than 50 posts

edit : I will be sweating for 48 hours this time, not 12~24 hours I've done previously
Depending on the bud structure that can be the way to go. Large calyx heavy buds it works ok but airy sativa type buds it can over ferment them and you loose a lot of the terps.

F

Fermented

ok but airy sativa type buds it can over ferment them and you loose a lot of the terps.

I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the advice, but this time I intend to try a longer sweat and will leave it on heat for the full 48 hours (it's been on heat for 35 hours so far) even though the bud was airy and sative-ish, it was also very aromatic but then, unfortunately, it rained for the last ten days of flowering which seems to reduce potency and terpenes. I also let this bud dry an extra day, which I won't do again, I much prefer a higher moisture content for cobbing.

Another point worth mentioning is that I don't vacuum the cobs during this sweating stage, but I do place the cobs inside three seal-able sandwich bags with the air sucked out on 35~42 C..but it's a dry heat from an electrical device. A vacuum bag will hold the vacuum, but the standard type sandwich bags around here will sometimes allow the moisture to escape during this sweating stage which will dry out the cob and prevent fermentation from taking place then all you are left with is compressed bud. But if you use three bags, you won't have a problem with the cob drying out so long as the bags are properly sealed.

F

Fermented

If an ounce of bud was hung, dried, cured then bottled stored for 3 months and an ounce of bud from the same tree was cobbed and stored for 3 months, what would be the difference in the resulting weight (after 3 months) between the two types?

Latest posts

Latest posts