What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks! I let it dry for about 5 hours, sealed it again while having moisture inside, when the surface started to feel drier. Will open and check each week eagerly :tiphat:
Thats the secret you both have to feel the love.

Mick

Veteran
Good post you got me convinced I feel them alright lovely friendly things, its when they migrate to your head that they start really doing the job though ha ha.
This Panama x Honduras is crazy stuff I feel so high but so super confident I could talk my way out of anything its crazy mind controlling gear.

We have a second brain of sorts that's located in the gut and that brain is in constant communication with the brain in our head and is responsible for our health, moods, digestion and more. Seems our sense of happiness and well being is down in large part to the health and composition of our own personal gut microbiome. You seem to be a happy, well adjusted guy, and I'm thinking that maybe all those trippy little weed bacteria's from all the cob you've digested may be working in your favour:) Can't wait to jump on the bandwagon.

SweetSue

Good morning gentlemen. Forgive my jumping in without trying to read this entire thread, but you have the community over at 420 Magazine all excited about trying this method. I for one desire this trippy buzz all of you are describing. Lol!

Mick, I've been studying the endocannabinoid system for the past couple years and I'm pretty certain the happier you are the faster you'll heal and the healthier you'll stay. It seems we evolved to operate in a constant state of joy, and the further we wander from that place the more dicey health issues become. The health of the gut is of paramount importance in this formula of homeostasis. The gut has the unique ability to spread its inflammatory displeasure with your food choices all through the body.

Tangwena, first, let me thank you for the dedication you've shown in getting this method out there and sticking with it for the long term. I'm going to do my best to get our community at 420 Mag just as excited. I have a Malawi coming down in four days, and we've at least two other members right now ready to jump in within the next couple weeks, one of whom did take the time to read all of the work your team put into this and worked up a lovely flow sheet on your technique.

I have a couple questions that require some clarification, If you don't mind. I don't have access to fresh husks, and so I've ordered some from the rain forest site. Is it recommended to allow these dry husks to be somewhat hydrated before wrapping the buds?

Is there any reservations on what kind of twine to use? I'm figuring not, but I want to be sure of that.

Have you determined an optimal weight per cob? After all this time experimenting it may have occured to some of you that there's a sweet spot.

If I understand this correctly you begin the process directly after harvest by cobbing, sealing and then sweating in the yogurt maker. I want to be certain that there's no drying time before that process begins.

We've been experimenting with drying low and slo in the refrigerator. I'm wondering if those buds, fresh out of the drawer, might be acceptable. I'll have to play with that. I jarred my last harvest just yesterday. When my husks arrive they'll be at 62% RH, but dried like this they're fresher than when air dried. Hmmm... may be too late for that crop, but I'm thinking a week in the drawer might be a perfect starting point. Another game for another day.

Right now the adrenaline is starting to flow as my harvest window opens. Let's see..... was there anything else? I don't think so. I'm purchasing the vacuum sealer today and I'll have the rest of my supplies by Friday. I'll have my thread on the process, with full credit and directions on how to find this thread, up by the time I start my cob experiment on Sunday.

I can't adequately express how excited I am to get started on this. We thank you for any clarification you can offer.

Tangwena

Veteran
Good morning gentlemen. Forgive my jumping in without trying to read this entire thread, but you have the community over at 420 Magazine all excited about trying this method. I for one desire this trippy buzz all of you are describing. Lol!

Mick, I've been studying the endocannabinoid system for the past couple years and I'm pretty certain the happier you are the faster you'll heal and the healthier you'll stay. It seems we evolved to operate in a constant state of joy, and the further we wander from that place the more dicey health issues become. The health of the gut is of paramount importance in this formula of homeostasis. The gut has the unique ability to spread its inflammatory displeasure with your food choices all through the body.

Tangwena, first, let me thank you for the dedication you've shown in getting this method out there and sticking with it for the long term. I'm going to do my best to get our community at 420 Mag just as excited. I have a Malawi coming down in four days, and we've at least two other members right now ready to jump in within the next couple weeks, one of whom did take the time to read all of the work your team put into this and worked up a lovely flow sheet on your technique.

I have a couple questions that require some clarification, If you don't mind. I don't have access to fresh husks, and so I've ordered some from the rain forest site. Is it recommended to allow these dry husks to be somewhat hydrated before wrapping the buds?

Is there any reservations on what kind of twine to use? I'm figuring not, but I want to be sure of that.

Have you determined an optimal weight per cob? After all this time experimenting it may have occured to some of you that there's a sweet spot.

If I understand this correctly you begin the process directly after harvest by cobbing, sealing and then sweating in the yogurt maker. I want to be certain that there's no drying time before that process begins.

We've been experimenting with drying low and slo in the refrigerator. I'm wondering if those buds, fresh out of the drawer, might be acceptable. I'll have to play with that. I jarred my last harvest just yesterday. When my husks arrive they'll be at 62% RH, but dried like this they're fresher than when air dried. Hmmm... may be too late for that crop, but I'm thinking a week in the drawer might be a perfect starting point. Another game for another day.

Right now the adrenaline is starting to flow as my harvest window opens. Let's see..... was there anything else? I don't think so. I'm purchasing the vacuum sealer today and I'll have the rest of my supplies by Friday. I'll have my thread on the process, with full credit and directions on how to find this thread, up by the time I start my cob experiment on Sunday.

I can't adequately express how excited I am to get started on this. We thank you for any clarification you can offer.
Thank you for the kind words my friend. I have been lucky to have met some very special people via these forums and the energy we create when we share our thoughts and findings has driven this thread.
The maize husks can be used dry or green it does not matter its just a wrapper. I use green buds dried for between 24 and 72hrs on the branch of the plant.
I like to think of them as still alive when they are sweated rather than dead.
The twine can be anything but hemp would be awesome you could use the bark from the stalks to be really authentic after all they use them to make rope dont they.
The best weight is between 1 and 2 ozs wet, once dry you will end up with from half to two thirds that weight.
I like the sugar leaves to be limp not crisp these days for best results but all buds as you know are different as far as moisture content goes.
It sounds a lot more complex than it is. Once you get a few behind you you will do it as second nature and just go by touch and smell.
The properly fermented smell of good pot is something you will never forget and is one of natures most beautiful aromas.
I wish you luck and all the best, please post pics here if you care to. We can help with any questions just think of it as natural product and everything else will follow.
Its the most beautiful rewarding experience after the thrill of growing the plant you can then play medicine man/lady and explore the full potential of the pot and your mind.
Believe me when you get it right you will know.

SweetSue

Oh, I'm so stoked Tangwena. I have something of a presence on our site, so the thread should draw a curious crowd. Lol!

I like the idea of using the stripped bark as the wrap. Very cool. I'll be sure to share some photos. We are a visual medium, aren't we?

This'll be a great addition to my fresh harvest oil, which turned out to be the most potent, in large part we believe, to fact that making oil at harvest retains many more of the terpenes and flavonoids.

This fermentation process fascinates me though. We don't consume enough fermented foods in our societies.

I'm wondering, has anyone in your group done comparative labs on samples? We have a group actively testing to refine infused oil methods for terpene retention, and I bet I could get someone there interested in having some tested to see what's really going on here.

SweetSue

It was brought to my attention that the flow chart was created here. My compliments to the creator. Do you have any problem with me reproducing it on our site? I'll understand if you'd rather not, and if so we'll create something similar.

If there's no problem, to whom do I give the credit?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
It was brought to my attention that the flow chart was created here. My compliments to the creator. Do you have any problem with me reproducing it on our site? I'll understand if you'd rather not, and if so we'll create something similar.

repuk Created it, but I think he's tweaking or adding to it. Just a few minute details to add for newcomers. For example: Harvest and hang dry for 2-3 day before cobbing.

But it's definitely usable as is. He did a great job.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8215898&postcount=2372

SweetSue

repuk Created it, but I think he's tweaking or adding to it. Just a few minute details to add for newcomers. For example: Harvest and hang dry for 2-3 day before cobbing.

Thank you. I'll be sure to keep tabs over here and update. And we'll be adding that notation in. I've already alerted all the current players to this.

You all have a wonderful day. You made mine sparkle just a bit more. :thank you:

SweetSue

repuk.... I have to say, it's a beautiful flow chart. Clear, concise and easy on the eyes. Great balance of space.

That's all, for now.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran

Thanks!

No problem at all, glad to be able to contribute :tiphat: but I just "consolidated" Tangwena's Labour of Love so that others felt confident to try it!

yours truly, Repuk the Hazy Frog :biggrin:

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
repuk.... I have to say, it's a beautiful flow chart. Clear, concise and easy on the eyes. Great balance of space.

That's all, for now.

:tiphat: glad to hear that :thank you:

I had some help from Beyond the Brain... don't pretend by any means to be a graphic designer, just tinkered here and there in Keynote until I "felt" I liked it :biggrin:

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran

Wow thanks my friend! I'm gonna blush! :biggrin: :thank you:

I thought on that, but wanted it to be as simple and error-prone free as possible... thought also on raising the minimum RH to say...80%, but I know Tangwena wants everybody to try en experience it, and at 65% I understood from this thread would be the minimum to be worthy trying in order to get less pronnounced results.

I preferred specifying a minimum RH point for good potential results for starters, because I have plants slowly drying that are more than three weeks and still > 70%, drying time and ending RH% is too tied to too many factors: the plant matter, local conditions...

After trying 80% I'd say maybe that's an optimal point RH% to experience cobbing and going to a "safe harbor" in terms of results, some don't have that steady supply so it's pretty understandable cannot afford to screw, every gram counts...

But I find Tangwena has expressed in his truly artisan way:

Tangwena said:
I like to think of them as still alive when they are sweated rather than dead.

Note taken :tiphat:

I'm sure there should be great graphic artists around here, it would be nice to have a more handcraft, "artisan" approach at the chart, reflecting (something I'm still thinking about) also the effects on varying points at sweat or ferment times, curing, etc.

Last edited:

SweetSue

We’ll be playing with the variables over at 420 Mag too. There a bunch of brainstorming cannabis nerds too. Lol!

80% RH... thanks. That’s about what my low and slo buds are when I usually take them out of the fridge to finish the dry with rice, so I’ll be sure to do some of those buds when I have them available next. I have another plant coming down in about two weeks, a 2:1 CBD-dominant. That’ll be an interesting experiment too. It’s a wild Jamaican strain I brought back seeds of when I visited the island. I wanna see what this process does to enhance that chemovar.

The big challenge is leaving it alone so it can cure properly. Lol! We’ve been down that path before in my virtual neighborhood. They’ll do it again.

Mick

Veteran

Gidday SweetSue, I agree, joy is where we should be and that it is our natural state.
I'm fascinated with the gut and its role in well-being and health and it's a weird and trippy field. Example, Faecal (poo) Transplants are on the verge of being mainstream and used for a whole raft of diseases, and research into the gut biome is taking off big-time. Faecal transplants are used to transplant healthy bacteria from the bodies of healthy people into the bodies of those who are sick. Some weird things are happening when people get these transplants; example, skinny people getting a transplant from a fat person donor can end up getting as fat as the donor and visa versa. Same same with emotional health. A depressed person might get a transplant to fix a gut issue from a happy person and end up happy themselves. Or someone might get a transplant to fix one issue and have a seemingly unrelated health problem disappear as well, like getting a transplant for gut problems and have their heart disease disappear. We're got trillions of these little microbes and bacteria's in our bodies and science suggests that humans are 90% microbial but only 10% human. Makes me sit back and reevaluate what it is to be human.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
We’ll be playing with the variables over at 420 Mag too. There a bunch of brainstorming cannabis nerds too. Lol!

80% RH... thanks. That’s about what my low and slo buds are when I usually take them out of the fridge to finish the dry with rice, so I’ll be sure to do some of those buds when I have them available next. I have another plant coming down in about two weeks, a 2:1 CBD-dominant. That’ll be an interesting experiment too. It’s a wild Jamaican strain I brought back seeds of when I visited the island. I wanna see what this process does to enhance that chemovar.

The big challenge is leaving it alone so it can cure properly. Lol! We’ve been down that path before in my virtual neighborhood. They’ll do it again.

With a little luck that Jamaican was touched by a Lamb or King. :)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Oh, I'm so stoked Tangwena. I have something of a presence on our site, so the thread should draw a curious crowd. Lol!

I like the idea of using the stripped bark as the wrap. Very cool. I'll be sure to share some photos. We are a visual medium, aren't we?

This'll be a great addition to my fresh harvest oil, which turned out to be the most potent, in large part we believe, to fact that making oil at harvest retains many more of the terpenes and flavonoids.

This fermentation process fascinates me though. We don't consume enough fermented foods in our societies.

I'm wondering, has anyone in your group done comparative labs on samples? We have a group actively testing to refine infused oil methods for terpene retention, and I bet I could get someone there interested in having some tested to see what's really going on here.

Sue, here are a couple of posts you will find useful.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7700074&postcount=899

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8202570&postcount=2300

G

Gr33nSanta

Thanks for this post, I do wonder though if while fermenting the cobs, there might be bacteria and yeasts that are not healthy to smoke.

I am just saying because, I am so impatient, I have been digging in my cobs as early as hours after the initial 24 hour sweat, I mix with tobacco so the high moisture is not a huge problem. What I have found so far, with not properly cured cobs, is that it seems to leave some sort of weird feeling on my throat but it could be that I am getting a cold. I do think the flavors I have sampled so far are very interesting, certainly different from glass cure but not smooth yet. The high does appear more trippy and more long lasting. It is very subjective for me as I smoke so much weed every day all day and my bioassey could be biased from the placebo effect.

One thing for sure is not smooth yet.

Anyway, I can not wait to try the real deal with full ferment and full cure.

I plan to experiment with a new technique that does not require a vacuum sealer, only small glass jars.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Tried to complement the diagram:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Any graphic artist around here? Have and idea I think would be a great homage to Tangwena :biggrin:

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Tried to complement the diagram:

View Image

View Image

View Image

Any graphic artist around here? Have and idea I think would be a great homage to Tangwena :biggrin:
That's awesome. It's all in the details. Great match for the flowchart!

---

Thanks for this post, I do wonder though if while fermenting the cobs, there might be bacteria and yeasts that are not healthy to smoke.

I am just saying because, I am so impatient, I have been digging in my cobs as early as hours after the initial 24 hour sweat, I mix with tobacco so the high moisture is not a huge problem. What I have found so far, with not properly cured cobs, is that it seems to leave some sort of weird feeling on my throat but it could be that I am getting a cold. I do think the flavors I have sampled so far are very interesting, certainly different from glass cure but not smooth yet. The high does appear more trippy and more long lasting. It is very subjective for me as I smoke so much weed every day all day and my bioassey could be biased from the placebo effect.

One thing for sure is not smooth yet.

Anyway, I can not wait to try the real deal with full ferment and full cure.

I plan to experiment with a new technique that does not require a vacuum sealer, only small glass jars.

Look at the links directly above your post. (postcount=899). There's the analysis.

Last edited: