What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro photography 101

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I believe I took those shots with a SMC Pentax FA 50mm f2.8 macro lens, but my camera is the Sony A6000. I may have used my Extension tubes in the shots as well. Can't recall. Eventually Id like to get a Sony macro lens, but Ive been pretty happy with the Pentax Macro.

A remote trigger and tripod are your best friends though.

I didn't use any stacking software in those images. Ive only used that type of software once before.

Here is my first attempt at using stacking software.

Afropips DPF2 Quadrifoliate.

picture.php

Crowmax

Veteran
Thanks for the information Dave
Lovely quality out of the pentax lens, would bet its a canon 100mm L or Canon MP-E 65mm or similar !

How do you focus stack with manual focus lens?
Was reading that focus stacking rail is kind of essential gear, so i gave up the idea without even trying.

:wave:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thanks for the information Dave
Lovely quality out of the pentax lens, would bet its a canon 100mm L or Canon MP-E 65mm or similar !

How do you focus stack with manual focus lens?
Was reading that focus stacking rail is kind of essential gear, so i gave up the idea without even trying.

:wave:

Sounds like you've more experience with macro lenses than I do. :shucks: Ill just have to take your word for it. :biggrin: That Canon MP-E is damn pricy. Makes me a lil prouder of my $200 used macro lens.

Im probably the last person to ask questions to about focus stacking. Ive used the software once, and watched one 3 minute youtube video..lol.

I dont even think I quite did it right either. I ended up starting at the max aperature, and working my way back in increments of two f-stops. The focus plane would shift with each change in f-stops. I later watched a video, and the person described using a single aperture setting and changing the plane of focus manually with each shot.

I took some shots of a rootball using the latter method last night. Will prepare them tonight and see how they came out. Hoping I did it right. :laughing:

I dont have any rail gear set up on my camera. I think you should give it a try without and see how it goes. Turn off any fans or anything that will cause vibration, etc. Remote trigger is a must though.

St. Phatty

Some of those cameras sound like a scanning electron microscope.

So do any of you guys have macro lenses on your smart phones ?

Would love to hear more about that.

Especially if there are some lens for $20 to $40 that actually take decent up close pics - on a cheap smartphone.

I'm using a TCL LX smartphone, so maybe that is part of it. It's a $30 smartphone.

Do any of you have iPhones ? I could buy an used iPhone to use as a Cannabis Camera.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Some of those cameras sound like a scanning electron microscope.

So do any of you guys have macro lenses on your smart phones ?

Would love to hear more about that.

Especially if there are some lens for $20 to $40 that actually take decent up close pics - on a cheap smartphone.

I'm using a TCL LX smartphone, so maybe that is part of it. It's a $30 smartphone.

Do any of you have iPhones ? I could buy an used iPhone to use as a Cannabis Camera.

The pics I posted were from a $10ish clip-on lens for my Android.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
@ Crowmax,

Here is my second attempt with focus stacking. This is a rootball from Afropips DP x GN Thai Stick. The seedling is a lil over 2 weeks old. Pretty good root development, and definitely over due to be transplanted.

picture.php

Friend

Veteran
Finally got a macro lens... here's one of the very first shots i took with it, doesn't really even do it justice. More to come as i get more practice

picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
a couple of my latest shots, I'm really kinda frustrated that I don't seem to be getting better results. But I'm so busy growing that playing with the camera really isn't an option right now.

picture.php

picture.php

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Bump for 2020

Some seeds
picture.php

Some trichomes
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And a mantis.

picture.php

Love me some macro. Plan to get an objective some time soon hopefully...

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Dawn Patrol mentioned that there are some excellent photos here.

You guys make me sick.

:D

and envious obviously.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I bought a phone advertised as 13mp with macro lens. Bastards. The main camera lens is 13mp, the macro lens is separate and 2mp. You get better shots cropping the 13mp photos down. Just a heads up on phones advertised as having macro lenses.