What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro photography 101

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doobs in the house...

Doobs in the house...

Hey, how nice to see some ol friends here sharing, improving, with some excellent macros. Thought I would share a couple new ones from me, I'm working on it man. The first two are Probation Violation, then also two from goat and monkey seed CaliO88.

Attachments

• 0494-probation-W.jpg
    0494-probation-W.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 0431-probation-V-W.jpg
    0431-probation-V-W.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 0185-XO-calio-88-g13-W.jpg
    0185-XO-calio-88-g13-W.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 060-XO-calio-88-g13-W.jpg
    060-XO-calio-88-g13-W.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old photographer still learning it!

Old photographer still learning it!

To help Phenome and myself, don't know what went wrong here. If this doesn't work they are in my gallery, thanks for looking..

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone

PDX you're doing a great job...
Some new images of Brothers Grimm Rosetta Stone, Happy Holidays everyone.

marmarb

Amazing photos what's a decent camera for a beginner. Will probably purchase off offer up seems most say anything with a 10-50mm lens will do the job.

PDX Dopesmoker

get a good camera body and a true macro lens
/also budget for a tripod and a focus rack

Thats one way to skin a cat, another way to get fantastic cannabis macro photos at far less expense is to breed plants with such outrageously large trichomes that the burden of expensive photography equipment can be done away with. Also if you avoid Durban and those other strains with zillions of tiny trichomes growing on zillions of tiny calyxes then you won't need to spend as much buying cameras with advanced technical capabilities.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
how large are these massive tric you are breeding?
by definition macro photography means a 1:1 aspect ratio to the live subject
but hey, you can always just us the zoom, i guess

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Thats one way to skin a cat, another way to get fantastic cannabis macro photos at far less expense is to breed plants with such outrageously large trichomes that the burden of expensive photography equipment can be done away with. Also if you avoid Durban and those other strains with zillions of tiny trichomes growing on zillions of tiny calyxes then you won't need to spend as much buying cameras with advanced technical capabilities.

LOL!!! I mean the whole post. We gon need some larger micron bubblebags... lol! Im all for it tho go head on and make some giant trichome producing plant n pass me a cut I’ll grow it! :good::laughing:

Heres some tiney durban trichomes...
picture.php

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i was going to ask if you were doing some stacking there, are you using helicon software?
lovely plant man and i bet it smoked good

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
i was going to ask if you were doing some stacking there, are you using helicon software?
lovely plant man and i bet it smoked good

I use zerene. Yeah it was a nice flavor, a cross i made called flamethrower x to watermelon zkittlez.

PDX Dopesmoker

how large are these massive tric you are breeding?
by definition macro photography means a 1:1 aspect ratio to the live subject
but hey, you can always just us the zoom, i guess

I'm not prioritizing the enlarged trichome head issue yet, I got bigger fish to fry first. Breeding plants to grow nicely outdoors at 45.5ºN is higher on my to do list, but if you're looking for big ones, try Subcool's stuff or crosses of it. Bradley Danks' Macob Kush has huge ones, its half Micky Kush & my JillyBean bagseed line has big ones too. My O-haze bagseed also has nice sized trichs. If you like plants the flower fast and do well in the outdoors then Durban crosses are worth looking at.
I'm not sure if that old film days 1:1 definition of macro is still as meaningful today as it used to be, we used to be able to used the same films in just about every camera back then so focal plane size was somewhat indicative of the final image quality, these days nobody is swapping out their digital detectors based on the shooting conditions. My first digital camera was an SBIG ST-6, it had 24 micron x 27 micron pixels in an array that was something like 400x300, fantastic for low light work, but not much for details. A 100 micron wide trichome head would occupy a 4x4 pixel space on the focal plane at 1:1 of that camera. My current camera doesn't do 1:1 because it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, but the pixels are 1.3 microns wide and a trich head is about 20 pixels wide at best so I can guess I'm getting something like a 1:3 ratio of IRL size to focal plane size, but I still get better images than I would with an ST-6 at 1:1, however not as good of a picture as I'd get if the trichomes were 200 microns wide.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
My current camera doesn't do 1:1 because it doesn't have interchangeable lenses...

then its not a true macro camera
im not here to argue but it helps to use the real definition of words
/fwiw, i think ive rep'ed your stuff before so i like your shots
my first digital camera was a sony mavica that shot to a floppy disk!
its amazing how much things have changed

Latest posts

Latest posts