What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Luang Prabang

inquest

Update time! :D

I hear ya Mani. Patience, patience..... lol

Here's the two late bloomers:
picture.php
picture.php

I chopped the one that only has preflowers. I gotta draw the line somewhere! Jeez! The other was so late she missed the only true male pollen I had..... I might cross some haze to her but that still means she's out of this gene pool..... Or, I could reveg her and try a second time. I'm running out of space in my mum cab, though.

Here's a few pics of the bunch:
picture.php
picture.php

They've stopped putting on weight now. No new pistils, except the late girl... I just have to keep checking for nanners! A few more weeks and I think they'll be chopped, I should have plenty of good seeds in there.

Anyhow, I'll drop a few more updates as they progress and get sampled.

Have fun guys!

Guava

Thanks, Inquest. Looking good, man. A challenge, I'm sure, but hopefully one that will end with pleasant, unique reward. At the very least, you get a fresh batch of beans.:)

All the best-

inquest

Thanks for stopping in guys! I have to say from my earlier smoke tests these girls are pretty nice! Nice and clear, pretty good potency. Even from the hermi's. ;) The hermi's actually scared me a bit when I had some after enjoying some Malawi or Haze! They seem to build on what's already there.... A day or so after that incident I tried them by theirselves and they had a nice clear high just like the girls, which I had smoked all by theirselves.

I will be rerunning this little experiment with them all once I chop them down. ;)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Inquest, exactly how long have they been flowering? I ask because those plants do not look anywhere near ready. Long flowering sativas will go through multiple bloom phases. 2 or 3 is very common for Haze Hybrids, and I expect this strain do it just as much, if not more.

I dont even see any foxtails yet. I think you've got at least 2 months tbh.

inquest

Hi Dave!

These girls are severly nutrient/rootspace deprived and heavily pollenated. Some of the bracts are browning out/dying back and exposing their seeds, which are huge btw! I would imagine there's not much nutes left for additional flushes. If they come, they'll be pathetic for sure. :) So the plan is to take 'em after this first flush when most all seed looks mature. Earlier tests had shown two more-potent girls. I'm interested to see if they are still the strongest. This may help me make earlier selections for a more efficient use of resources. A reveg and later-date sensi grow is also planned for the keepers. I'll also get some close-ups of the buds soon. They are one to two inch long strings of bracts.

I usually see foxtails with an addition of nitrogen and/or rising temps. Environment control seems key..... My 2 cents.

Inquest

p.s. I chopped the girl I treated with STS yesterday. I saw more nanners on her near the application area, which had been removed over a month ago. Apparently, the sodium thiosulfate allows for much more mobility of the silver nitrate. She has the most petite structure of them all and is revegging currently.

inquest

She's shoulder height, 5'ish, from a 1liter planter. I guess you could say I like large asian ladies??? :laughing: I'd love to see her under the tropical sun! She took some HazeThai pollen today.
The late bloomer:
picture.php

Seeded bud:
picture.php

Those pistils have been there for about a month...

Seeded cola:
picture.php

I have two girls that are mostly sensi. A petite lady and the late bloomer. I'll put a few pics up of them in a month or so. Both are nothing but fresh pistils. The petite girl has nice girth and solidity, too. She will be revegged and crossed to herself and the other petite reveg.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hey Inquest, I see the value in going ahead and chopping after seeds mature and giving it another go if she is heavily pollinated. If she is lightly pollinated, she'll still flower quite nicely for you while the seeds mature.

Now the foxtails you'll get with a long flowering sativa wont happen if a calyx is pollinated. If left unpollinated, they just stack on top of each other over and over and over. Its a lovely sight to behold, but it is a slooooooowwww process. :biggrin:

Alot of people dont let a long flowering sativa go long enough and they end up chopping it long before its ready. Even 50% Haze Hybrids generally need a long time to develop proper bud development, and a pure Thai Sativa is going to take even longer.

Im posting a picture of MangoHaze at day 113. Its a good closeup of how the foxtailing occurs if left unpollinated. If she had gotten pollinated long ago, this would not occur. This lady went through two or three different bloom cycles. I sorta lost count as I sat and waited and waited and waited. This one had too much amber to my liking at harvest though, so a slightly earlier harvest may be recommended.

picture.php

congrats on the seedrun inquest, did the STS work how it was meant to.... put some pollen sacks on the ladies?
also stunning pic dave, and interesting to hear about the stacking effect of hazey genetics, something I knew nothing about

inquest

Yes, the STS works like a charm! Even when it's way too strong a solution. If it's too strong it may burn the leaves a bit and the male flowers will have a hard time dropping pollen. But, once your stock solution is cut about 1/9 into a working solution you'll have shitloads to use and less issues with nonviable pollen sacs. 500 grams of sodium thiosulfate is like 6$ and 10 grams of silver nitrate is about 30$. The silver nitrate will stain the shit outta everything so be careful when handling it.

Beautiful flowers Dave!! The MangoHaze has been on my list for a long time! Would love to grow some one day! I seem to remember Dj Shorts Blueberry foxtailing for a grower here at the 'mag. Of course, we both know my memory is not the best! lol :)

inquest

Dave, I've heard stories of equatorials having multiple flushes of blooms, with subsequent dips in potency/maturity due to fresh calxys and trichs coming in. I also like my trichs cloudy/clear vs amber/cloudy. It's nice to hear it straight from a grower who has seen it first hand. My VietBlack grow is my first experience with tropical sativas and I've been busy making seeds vs sensi. I've built up a nice little nest egg now, though. ;)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
congrats on the seedrun inquest, did the STS work how it was meant to.... put some pollen sacks on the ladies?
also stunning pic dave, and interesting to hear about the stacking effect of hazey genetics, something I knew nothing about

Thanks BudPreacher. I appreciate that. Not every haze plant will develop foxtails like this one. Ive flowered almost 40 different Haze Hybrid ladies, and some will foxtail crazy like this, while others may lend more towards NL, or Skunk in terms of bud structure depending on genetic makeup. I did have one MangoHaze that had rock hard golf ball sized buds but that has not been the norm with Haze Hybrids. Haze bud structure has always dominated in the 4 Haze Hybrids Ive grown, but the NL & Skunk help alot with calyx size and density.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Dave, I've heard stories of equatorials having multiple flushes of blooms, with subsequent dips in potency/maturity due to fresh calxys and trichs coming in. I also like my trichs cloudy/clear vs amber/cloudy. It's nice to hear it straight from a grower who has seen it first hand. My VietBlack grow is my first experience with tropical sativas and I've been busy making seeds vs sensi. I've built up a nice little nest egg now, though. ;)

Im glad you liked the lady. If you ever run the MangoHaze, I have to stress how important it is not to stress the ladies. I had serious nanner issues with mine the first run, but they were quite stressed. The MHaze in the pic went 113 on her second run with not a single nanner. This isn't limited to MangoHaze though. I find Haze lines have a tendecy to Hermie rather easily if stressed. Sam's Haze x Skunk #1 was the same exact way.

Those are not stories you've heard, its the truth. Long flowering sativas do go through multiple bloom phases. The first phase will be coming to end with most of your white pistils having turned brown. You may have 5-10% white pistils at this time, a week goes by, and all the sudden there is a sudden surge of fresh pistils, and its like you're back at square one, except your calyxes are stacking on top of each other, and given enough time you can get some really nice long foxtails. Not every sativa will foxtail though like the MangoHaze pictured.

I dont think there is a dip in potency though. Ive found trichome maturity from clear to cloudy(for peak thc) takes a long time. Its not like the early resin glands from the first bloom phase will all be amber by the time the second or third bloom cycle is over. The resin glands mature much slower than a faster finishing Indica that will just have one bloom cycle.

Enjoy the VietBlack. I think once you've run a few long flowering sativas, you'll enjoy em so much that you'll always make room for a few.

mantilla

Cool!
Landraces which spark off my imagination.
Must be my love of travel.
Really keen to see how these go.
Good luck!!

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
inquest,next time you run them use much larger pots cos sativas have got the longest root systems,using the pots you've used only helps to stress the plants and that leads to hermis and other problems like nutrients building up like you can see in some of your pics with the leafs clawing over from alittle to much nitrogen.
Growing sativas is alot more problematic then 8-9 week indica/sativa hybrids and it can be a hard learning curve but once you've got it right you'll reap even better rewards from the plants and revegging and using mature clones is the way to go cos from seed they can take twice as long to fully flower properly.Haze is one of the worst plants for this,i grew aload when i first started getting into sativas and i grew them from seed on a 13/11 vegfor 4-5 weeks then 11/13 bloom for nearly 9 months so they took 10 months from seed to harvest but once i'd taken clones and flowered them after a weeks veg after rooting they flowered perfectly and only took around 4-5 months to flower and the end product was 3 times better then it was from seed,so always run clones from sexually mature plants.

inquest

LP5, chugging along. I hit her up with Malawi pollen a couple of weeks ago and pulled a lower bud to sample this week. Hope she's strong and clear like a few of her sisters are.
picture.php

LP20 - the big late bloomer, I hit her up with Malawi too! :)
picture.php

Mat, Thanks for the info! Since this is a breeding project stressing the plants out is a good thing! :) While I dont plan to throw out hermis for being hermis, I would like to know who's who. My collected varieties are getting split into multiple lines. Each line will be stabilized for that trait (if possible) then combined with one another. The intent is to have a half-dozen or so traits that breed true while the remaining traits have a chance to retain variety. That'll probably take the rest of my life but atleast I'll have a something to keep me occupied! lol

inquest

Not too much to update except that #'s 5 and 13 picked up some mites along with a Haze/Lebanese cross I had going. Oddly, nothing else in the room shows signs of mites. I check under everyones leaves daily now.

#5 and #13 were chopped a few days ago and are revegging currently. These guys reveg quick!!
I plan to reveg #20 as well. I definitely want to utilize her "gets gigantic" genes in some crosses and make S1's as well. She grew 5 feet tall out of a 1 liter pot and had the biggest leaves out of the bunch. :) She also has pretty decent sized colas, too!

Regardless of how far along everyone is, they are all getting the chop in about two to three weeks, since I have vacation plans fast approaching. ;) I need to get them all micro sized and in pots big enough to stay moist for a week or so...

I plan to scrog a clone of #20 in a 5 gallon pot once vaca is over. Really wanna see what she can do! Out grow my set up, most likely!!! lol Plus, next round will be getting into winter so I shouldn't be bringing mites in from my yard any more. That will be nice!

I'll get some pics up in a week or two, probably right before the next round of harvesting. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts