What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Luang Prabang

sso

Veteran
well, these old time sativa growers, did also mention shortened flowering time 10/14 11/13, to yes, shorten the flowering time, speed up the process.

didnt really notice that much difference, ran the male i got first, 10/14, then the female later 12/12, didnt measure the time, but kinda in hindsight, the female actually seemed quicker showing maturity, funnily enough.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Another tuyau could be said i think is that "well nitrogen fertilized" is effective in limiting the reporting of male flowers in moloecious plants... An old recipe from Grandma, i have not yet scientific sources ! ;)

Wibes' Inquest' :smoke: good luck in your LPs projects bro

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Thanks for the input guys!!

Yes, I have them on a 10/14 schedule. Only got two hermi's out of 16 plants. Not too bad IMO. :) I have separated them from the others and plan to see what kind of things come from 'em. ;) Up untill the repot they were mostly pistilate but after that they are popping out many more stamens.

The productive female pictured I'm going to see if I can reverse part of her and let her pollenate another productive girl plus pollenate herself. I'd like to lock down that trait in a satalite line to the main Luang population.

Nice looking plant Mat!! Mind if I ask what your setup was/is and how was the smoke??

The smoke from her was ok for a tropical outdoor sativa grown indoors for the first time,from seed she was a pain to grow and took a while to start flowering but once she started she took around 15-16 weeks to finish and the smoke wasn't to good(without cureing) so i decided to run some cuttings from her and they turned out 5x better after being cured for 2-3 months.Smoking her as soon as she's dryed out gives a very mild heady high with a strong lemon grass aroma but after a cure the lemon is replaced by a woody pine peppery spice and the smoke is stronger with a clear energetic ceilingless high,proper wake n bake daytime smoke,a unique high.
I've run her under both 1000w MH and HPS and its no suprise that the MH produced the better quality buds(not much but noticable) with yields being the same under both lights give or take a few grams and the lower the humidity the better.

matt:tiphat:

inquest

High guys!! Here's the two hermis:

picture.php

They have the nicest structure of all of the Luangs.... figures. On an up note, They seem to be 95% male, what DJ short refers to as a reverse hermi..... I think...
He seemed to like them at any rate. I, however, do not get to sample them now. It looks like I'll get a dozen seeds from them though. :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The leaves are so beautiful!!!

Can't wait to see them growing!! I have some Laotians and Thais in my fridge, can't wait to pop them as well! :tiphat:

inquest

Updates! :) lol,

Ok, for anybody looking to grow these;
1, have some room to grow. heh heh, these fuckers will use it ALL and more!
2, Dont throw out the males/hermi's! Last night I had two hits off my mostly staminate herm's and was the highest I've been in about 15 yrs. Tachycardia, the 'noids, walking around totally spaced out, it ruined my plans for the rest of the night. Would have been great if I could have planned for the effects!
3, Most of the hermi's that popped up were about worthless for yield potential.
4, Buy/run more than one pack..... I should have!!!

The STS I've been hitting the top bud of the smallest, most dense girl has taken effect. She's popping a few nanners in the top three or four buds. None elsewhere. Just where the STS hit her. ;)

I'll try to get a pic of the reversal up this weekend.

Stay safe guys!

inquest

Oh yeah,

Shortening a tall plant:

original:
picture.php

Stem crushed in two spots, tri-secting an area of the stem with no buds, and folded upon itself:
picture.php

Adjusted height:
picture.php

sso

Veteran
lol thats what i did with my vietnam sativa strain when i revegged it, just folded the stems in on themselves, its a bit of an artwork now (10 stems that were folded in on themselves.)

inquest

#6, STS treated top buds

picture.php

So far there are 4 productive girls and two non-productive girls that haven't hermi'ed. One non-productive male that pollenated all of the girls. Two productive mostly staminate hermi's. Two or three non-productive hermi's that were culled. Lastly, one mostly pistilate hermi.

I've had some early samples of the productive girls and the productive hermi's. The hermi's were by far the most potent and had the most psychedelic high of the bunch. The girls all had a nice, clear, sativa type high. Two were lower strength and two were respectably strong but not mind blowing or anything.

The girls have a nice sweet aroma to 'em. One is a bit grapey smelling. One has a kinda old school brick weed scent in the background and a hint of black licorice/anise to the exhale. Nice smoke all in all, considering the growing conditions and their heritage.

Again, all seed will be kept seperate according to who their mother was and weather they're reg, fem, or hermi. I definately want to see if I can reveg the hermi's. I'd like to reveg and reverse the girls to cross to each other. I'm really not a fan of using just ONE male or female regardless of how many partners they may have. If you dont have equal numbers of "male" to female parents it really cuts down on your Effective Population (Ne). 4xNmxNf / Nm+Nf = Ne
I'd also like to see if crossing the herm's to a strong female will get me a girl with the hermi's crazy high.... I kinda doubt it though. I doubt I'm the first one to cross a hermi to a girl in this line, and all the girls were mellow by comparison..... Wish I had boughten more packs! :( Maybe there's a psycho-bitch out there just waiting to be planted!!??

I'll try and get some group shots up next weekend. Not too much happens during flower with the sativas... Veg... that's another story all together! Well, have a good week guys!

stay safe

sso

Veteran
ive heard (and so far found it to be true)

that if you allow pure sativas to mature (alternate branching)

before 12/12, you wont run into hermies so much (or at all.)

cant remember if told you that :)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
ive heard (and so far found it to be true)

that if you allow pure sativas to mature (alternate branching)

before 12/12, you wont run into hermies so much (or at all.)

cant remember if told you that :)

No offense, but that sounds like some mumbo jumbo. If a plant is intersex its gonna show whether the branches alternate or not before flowering.

Ive flowered out mature sativas that were 3+ months old, and they still hermied in flowering, while others did not. Its just the luck of the draw whether you get an intersex plant or not.

inquest

Hey, nice to see ya GP, Guava!

SSO, The closest I've come to seeing maturity affecting gender is my mostly male herm's. They've just recently started throwing a few buds..... They started this after I trimmed all of their pollen sacks. ....Maybe it's a maturity thing or, maybe they cycle through male then female then male, etc. as they age.

What's up Dave? Hope you're enjoying the show!

Group shot:
picture.php

Big leaf:
picture.php

Sativa spear
picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hey Inquest, Im enjoying the show. Thanks for doing a thread on these sativas. Im a sativa lover thru and thru.

sso

Veteran
well, its just what i heard from long time sativa growers. :)

i doubt its universally true for every sativa, but it might influence the chances of getting hermies.

Manivelle

Veteran
hi
i've grown a personal strain from luang prabang and it was close/the same to this one .
same leaves same structure and same fluffy buds .
got to be very patient with this one :)
peace
mani

Latest posts

Latest posts