What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LST training in detail. Why bushes are better

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Bondage Session...

Bondage Session...

Well, here are my two Seedsman Malawi Golds at 25 days flowering - trussed up and still struggling to get out! They are definitely easier to manipulate pre-watering, so I got in there while they were dozing, and bent a few more back. I'll keep doing this until they stop stretching. Which could be a while! I've not grown a pure sativa for a long, long time and they make a nice contrast with everything else - and make me realise there's virtually nothing out there now that doesn't have some indica in it!

I still got two phenos, despite it being a pure strain - #1 is less tall than #2, and a little more delicate-looking with slightly more branches. Other than that, they look like sisters to me.

Pheno #1:

Pheno #2:

Both:

if i were u i would get a more intense light or kill those plants its not worth the risk for the amount of bud i could roll in a blunt.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
OK - let's be clear. These are 25 days into flowering on an 84-98 day flowering schedule. So they've barely started budding. Sativas take a long, long time to flower. And they're under 1200W of light in a 2msq reflective space. Total overkill light-wise.
So I have no intention of killing these plants for any reason, especially 'the risk'. If that were the problem I would have stopped years ago. And I suspect if you rolled a blunt of this stuff when it's finished you wouldn't sit down for a month.

Will these all fit in a your blunt? Worth the risk? :)

Last edited:

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
lol..

those look pretty awesome Elevator Man.. great training. you've got some impressive stuff going!

:joint:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
So I got a question. I've got some plants taht are beginning training, and I've already bent them in one direction. I'm not sure where I should train the stem due to the shape of the pot. Any suggestions?

Tunefull

Hi bounty
How big are your plants and pots?

When i pot/repot my plants i like to plant more to one side(rather than in the middle)
Then can just train across the pot,Gaining you some inchs(in a short space it all adds up)
I also like to try and train around the pot(Can use the lip of the pots to anchor your tie's)
Off the main stem you get side shoots,and coz u tie the main down,U have to tie these down aswell(ideally u always want your main stem a inch taller than the rest(To keep it as the main)))
So Any space u have on the pot,Train these side shoots to go there(see what i mean?)

Basicly its up to you where you have your main shoot and stems,Just try and keep a even canopy(with your main a bit above the rest)

I love LST(Enjoying dabbling in Topping aswell)
Dont be afraid to get stuck in.as i said in a diff post wait till they need a water(Makes the stems more flexi)
And if worst happens and u snap a stem,Just splint it up and give it time to recover(it will!!)
I Aint been growing to long(about 6 grows)And aint snapped a stem by accident yet(there sturdy things)
Being a experementer tho i have snapped a few on purpose to see how they recover.And as long as splint them up and support it for a week or two and there back on track(A bit stronger infact(But with a time delay))

Anyway have fun with them m8*smileS*

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Well, here are my two Seedsman Malawi Golds at 25 days flowering - trussed up and still struggling to get out! They are definitely easier to manipulate pre-watering, so I got in there while they were dozing, and bent a few more back. I'll keep doing this until they stop stretching. Which could be a while! I've not grown a pure sativa for a long, long time and they make a nice contrast with everything else - and make me realise there's virtually nothing out there now that doesn't have some indica in it!

I still got two phenos, despite it being a pure strain - #1 is less tall than #2, and a little more delicate-looking with slightly more branches. Other than that, they look like sisters to me.

Pheno #1:

Pheno #2:

Both:

heh heh!

tie them down at 90' angles and get your lights much closer or better lights!

what are you using? :chin:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Yeah I wanted to plant them towards one end of the containers but then I forgot, oh well. I think I'm going to just pull them towards one corner and then circle them around, and flower them once they've made a complete circle around the container. The containers are 6qt sterlite tubs, I just transplanted them about a week ago from 16oz cups and they're doing great.

I won't have my camera until Tuesday but I'll definitely take some pictures of my LST thus far when I get it back.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
HighOnTheChronic - check the post and pics I added above your post.
The Malawis are squeezed in the corner of my growroom at present, which is pretty full - you can just see them at bottom right - from two weeks ago. I have many plants on different schedules. I have 1200W light, so there's no shortage. They are 11 weeks old too, so they should be getting pretty big. I'm harvesting all the big plants on Sunday at eight weeks. That will give the Malawis and my Skunk#1s the whole room to themselves (to be joined by two Flos). The Skunks are on 2 weeks flower currently, so I expect all three varieties to finish at exactly the same time on Dec. 15th - just in time for Christmas :)

Last edited:

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Pheno #1:

Pheno #2:

Both:

Nice! this is what I'm going to do with my sativas that I grow. I only run a 250 and you gotta keep them short and lst them. With sativas I'm sure there is going to be some trimming and tying down for sure. I think my acapulco gold x nepalese strain is going to be a stretcher. I plan on growing the Love Potion too. I never have grown any sativas yet and I think it's going to be a learning experience. Good job on keeping that Malawi short.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
"Ooh, you don't want to be growing sativas with a 250! if I were you, I would kill those plants right now!"

Just kidding...:)

Good luck with them though - I'm sure they can be 'corrected'! Acapulco X Nepalese sounds really nice - is that a seed variety or a personal cross/clone?And I'm glad someone can see what I'm trying to do here. I mean, I know nothing about LST an' all, but I hope to - one day...:)

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
The Acapulco Gold x Nepalese is actually Apple Pie from Reeferman. It seems to me that your doing a hell of a job with the LST.

Tunefull

Aye does look good with you elevator(and all the others)

Bounty
Deff do some picks(maybe even a grow dairy(there very handy))
ITs nice to see diff ways of LST(And tie down methods(Like the guy who hooked up some nuts to the end of some wire(Handy))))Saw another guy ages ago who was useing bottles/cans...And he would fill the cans until he had the results he wanted(again clever)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
'Apple Pie' eh? Sounds even tastier now! Can't find it in Reef's list though - an older variety?
Those growing supports I use are one of the best things I have ever bought - at £6 ($10) each, they're a bargain. Of course it's only spot-welded steel wire, so you could easily knock them out - if you have a welding kit and powder-coating facility obviously. The shop I bought them from closed down and now I can't find any more...:(
But a pack of cable ties and you-re off - even better are the adjustable/re-usable ties as you can slacken them off again if it all gets too much...;)

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Alright so... I'm growing a couple bagseed plants, and I've been traning pretty aggressively. I have a limited amount of vertical room to work with, so I want to keep the plants low. From the dirt to the top of the plant is about 8 inches on each plant, but I've kept the stems on the ground for the most part, winding them around the pots. Is there any harm in having the main stem within like, a quarter inch of the dirt? I'm getting new growth everywhere, it seems to be doing okay but I just want to make sure. I'll get some pictures in a few days, when I get my camera back.

Tunefull

Hi bounty
Like you i dont have much height(just over 4 ft)
So yep i have to train them so the stem runs very close to the soil(cant help but have some parts touching the soil)
Just make sure nothing stays on the soil long enough to rot(or harbour invaders so on))

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Elevator Man said:
'Apple Pie' eh? Sounds even tastier now! Can't find it in Reef's list though - an older variety?

Yea I don't think it's available right now. I think Reef is bringing it back soon, I'm not sure though.