What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LOTS a lights

mack 10

Veteran
Know it well bro, rocking its sister cut the Psyco diesel both great work from the brother lovelightpower!

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
One of the bigger grows I've seen posted on the boards in a while 'crept from med states here in the US. You must have a wheelbarrow to carry those nuts. Sweet setup, looks like it's running smoothly too. Running an op that size I hope you have time to drop in once in a while and show us a few things.

A couple questions since im currently building out a similar grow

1. The large ducting you seen to have running to the floor. Is that intake? How are you dealing with pest prevention and variance in wheather outside coming in. Example what are you intaking if its 40 degrees or 110 degrees outsite?

2. Do you have a pic of your beds and how the PVC and drip is setup? Maybe a diagram? Looks great!

3. Does the lack of being able to move around in there concern you since you really can't treat the plants in the middle or even see them?

and of course..

4. What would you do different if you had it to do over again and how often are you feeding vs just watering?

Wow great pics..I agree you must have balls of steel.I agree it would seem hard to tend to the ones in the middle.But im sure this isnt his first rodeo by any means.If you have thing dialed in set and forget i guess.If i had an op like this anywhere in the world i wouldnt post it.So thanks for taking the time and security risk.

Green_science

Know it well bro, rocking its sister cut the Psyco diesel both great work from the brother lovelightpower!
Nice one mack I did not realise the person responsible for one my very fave cuts inhabited the boards, perhaps hell drop by this thread, and they can make their father proud.

very nice..good job bro...
Cheers buddy.

One of the bigger grows I've seen posted on the boards in a while 'crept from med states here in the US. You must have a wheelbarrow to carry those nuts. Sweet setup, looks like it's running smoothly too. Running an op that size I hope you have time to drop in once in a while and show us a few things.
Thank you, and I try to make my setups as least time consuming as possible, (once they are up and running of coarse).

A couple questions since im currently building out a similar grow

1. The large ducting you seen to have running to the floor. Is that intake? How are you dealing with pest prevention and variance in wheather outside coming in. Example what are you intaking if its 40 degrees or 110 degrees outsite?

2. Do you have a pic of your beds and how the PVC and drip is setup? Maybe a diagram? Looks great!

3. Does the lack of being able to move around in there concern you since you really can't treat the plants in the middle or even see them?

and of course..

4. What would you do different if you had it to do over again and how often are you feeding vs just watering?

1. Luckily I am from a place where winter is winter and summer is summer, and seasonal temps remain pretty consistent, this doesn't mean our temps don't change, winter is cold and summer is warm/hot.
What this does mean is that I only really have to prepare for 2 different climates, cold/warm.
I am not a massive fan of fan controllers on larger ops for a couple reasons, I use passive intakes and I like constant pressure/airflow day and night, for safety, abundance of co2, general plant health and prevention of botrytis.
The room has a circuit of plug sockets dedicated to lights, if things get really cold at night, then you can of coarse plug a few extraction fans in to this circuit which of coarse means that said fans will only run during day hours and will turn off with the lights. This coupled with heaters on timers, (or even for the really cold months, heaters on at all times) controls the cold side of things, and for me is much preferable over fan controllers.
For the hot months, well I have been doing this a little while so I when designing rooms I tend to be pretty good at knowing how much extraction>lights>space will be needed/acceptable to maintain 80f during our summers, a quick example would be, I know that if a 600w light has at least 1m2 around it, with a 8ft high ceiling, that I can have 9 of them per extraction that I use and maintain desirable temps with very little tweaking. As you noted intakes of, which there are 14 x 12" of in the flowering room, exactly twice as many as extraction, are facing the floor, this coupled with a well insulated LARGER room, the fact I can turn some extraction off whilst maintaining an equal amount of pressure from intakes, have heaters I can control on the floor, able to cut certain intakes off if needed simply be facing face down on the floor, (intakes touch the floor and bend 90 degrees), lots of air movement above and below, and finally adjusting heights of lights if needed, means they can be setup the way I want and not worry about adjusting for AT LEAST 3 months of the year or i.e a whole run.
Of coarse if you are in a place with summer is extremely hot then, you would just add split AC's to the room and just employ my techniques when/where needed.

2. I am not using beds I use pots/trays, 11 litre ones in the flower room, the system is setup as mentioned above here is a non scaled diagram

picture.php

3. Absolutely not, if I want to walk I will go to the park, if I had walk ways in my ops they would make for one hell of an expensive stroll haha.
A proper environment, the right genetics, that you know well, and lastly experience, and you should have no need (if you so desire) to have to care for anything after a certain point in bloom.
For example the op in this thread I would be there once every 12 days.

4. When it comes to feeding/watering in bloom, I feed every time, 3x a week, this may alter slightly from place to place, but for example these pumps on timers, would come on

Monday 3 minutes
Wednesday 2 minutes
Friday 3 minutes

Hope I answered you're questions, if not let me know

Wow great pics..I agree you must have balls of steel.I agree it would seem hard to tend to the ones in the middle.But im sure this isnt his first rodeo by any means.If you have thing dialed in set and forget i guess.If i had an op like this anywhere in the world i wouldnt post it.So thanks for taking the time and security risk.
As for the balls of steel my gf says that all the time, I don't think she is referring to my ambition though, as for middle plants well I am not one for wasting space, or at least thats how I see it, and sure you are right this isn't the first grow I have done, i.e. I didn't go out on a whim hoping this technique works, as for security risk Canna is un-regulated in my country, so all this is perfectly legal, and finally you are welcome.

D

DHF

Just wanted ta stop in and show respect where it`s due GS.....Fortune favors the prepared mind , and I love to see a monocropped room.......:peacock:.....

Obvious knowledge and experience shines through , and even better that you`re legal and doing 1 helluva job in production mode......now.....

You said 384 plants in bloom , but you also said 48K in 1K lights x 6 plants per light is 288 plants , not 384......and....48 K in 600`s is 80 lights with 480 plants total , so I`m confused or I`m missing something......regardless....

I`m humbled by your attention to detail , not to mention in the Heath Robinson style of no a/c`s OR dehueys.....just constant major air extraction FTW....

I`d love to hear you elaborate on how many air exchanges per minute you use to maintain perfect environment...lights on AND off....

Heaters on timers , or auxiliary inline fans ready to plug in to maintain heating OR cooling if need be , just shows how much time that`s already been spent dialing said grow area , or rather how many similar areas in the past kept getting dialed and tweaked to end up where we are now.....anyways....

Respect....DHF.....:ying:......

Green_science

Just wanted ta stop in and show respect where it`s due GS.....Fortune favors the prepared mind , and I love to see a monocropped room.......:peacock:.....

Obvious knowledge and experience shines through , and even better that you`re legal and doing 1 helluva job in production mode......now.....

You said 384 plants in bloom , but you also said 48K in 1K lights x 6 plants per light is 288 plants , not 384......and....48 K in 600`s is 80 lights with 480 plants total , so I`m confused or I`m missing something......regardless....

I`m humbled by your attention to detail , not to mention in the Heath Robinson style of no a/c`s OR dehueys.....just constant major air extraction FTW....

I`d love to hear you elaborate on how many air exchanges per minute you use to maintain perfect environment...lights on AND off....

Heaters on timers , or auxiliary inline fans ready to plug in to maintain heating OR cooling if need be , just shows how much time that`s already been spent dialing said grow area , or rather how many similar areas in the past kept getting dialed and tweaked to end up where we are now.....anyways....

Respect....DHF.....:ying:......
Thank you for you're kind words DHF, not sure I mentioned 1k bulbs bud, if I did I didn't mean to, there is 364 plants under 64 x 600w in the flowering room and 16 x 600w in the veg chamber, making for a total of 80 x 600w or 48KW, I must admit to never reading a Heath Robinson thread however I have glimpsed at some of his pics and am aware of who he is, over the years I just come to the conclusion that sacrificing air exchange for temp control was/is not the best solution, and that if it is possible, and I understand it isn't for everyone, then maintaining high air flow and using heaters is preferred.

Now for air exchange, I have been using the same extraction fans for a good many years along with growing through a good many summers and winters (which here are pretty consistent from year to year) I nearly exclusively use 600w bulbs and my setups in way of light>space and extraction/intake are nearly identical from the smaller ones right up to the bigger ones, that being 2 x 12" passive intakes (or just under) to each 12" extraction and 1 extraction per 8/9/10 lights I always space lights very similarly in my ops, the height of the ceiling won't really even be considered unless it's extreme, (very tall/short) as it doesn't make much of a difference as everything, in terms of dictating environment, is happening below that level and I use osc fans, along with careful placement of intake/extraction heaters, to keep things consistent throughout the space.
In bloom I run my lights through our night times I know that using my usual method with familiar equipment and scaled setups,that I can cool the room even on the warmest summer nights.

So that's how I control high temps during the hotter season, of coarse this makes me explaining controlling high temps during the winter months redundant, which leaves controlling low temps during hotter and colder seasons needing explaining, what I usually do is have 2 x 2kw rads per extraction.

In the winter months 1 of these rads will be set for example, to 79 degrees on a digital thermostat the other set to for example 73 degrees, also on a digital thermostat.

Now in the winter if the room drops below 79d then 1 radiator will come on, this keeps my grow room day time temps fluctuating around 79d, once lights go it means it is day time outside of the grow room so I have the benefit of warmer air coming in during lights out, once temps drop below 73d in the room during lights out (which they will do in winter) then rad 2 comes on, now I know 2x2kw heaters set up like this on a winters day (aka grow rooms night) is sufficient, relevant to my intake/extraction (which is always the same), to keep the room above 70d but not powerful enough to warm it to or above 79d, of coarse we don't want a negative temp DIF, if it were an extremely cold winter I may have a 3rd rad set to for example 71d.

Does all this cost a lot more than a fan controller....yes of coarse,
but for me the benefits far outweigh the negatives, constant strong negative pressure, abundance of co2 at all times, lots of high flowing air movement keeping plants thick and strong, the ability to run higher room humidity (if you so desire) all whilst protecting you against mold, and finally (which is very important to me) being able to (safely) really dial in your day/night temp DIF, which of coarse you know all about DHF, but for others whom don't, closing that gap between night/day temps is used throughout the horticulture industry to keep internodal spacing to a minimum.

So thats pretty much it DHF using my usual methods I can get really damn close to a very good replicated environment before tweaking which can then finish it off (if need be), playing with radiator thermostats, as you say aux fans which can of coarse be plugged in to fan controllers , adjusting heights of lights, etc etc, but thanks to pretty predictable weather where I live and a little experience doing these things, I can pretty much go into a room measure it and write a list off the top of my head, more than capable of summers, and oversized for winters.

Respect for you're questions DHF and everyone else. hope I have answered them and shed some light on my methods.
GS

B

BredForMeds

man do I wish I could work in something that big!!! mad respect.

Green_science

Thanks for the replies!

Are you growing in Coco?
No sir dirt, but I do grow in coco, clay, nft, aero, dwc, hell i'll give anything a try, but lately I am enjoying dirt, which I am relatively new to and am coming round to think is the best option for the larger ops.

man do I wish I could work in something that big!!! mad respect.

Yeh it's cool the first time, but then soon after it becomes like any other job, a chore. Growing weed is a, well paid, full time job to me, I actually get more enjoyment out of running 2 light tents and doing cool experiments, DO NOT let this dissuade you, if you have you're heart on turning this into a full time job, then go for it, its one of the the best jobs out there imo, and one of the only ones I would do ,but , it is to be treated like a job none the less i.e. you get out what you put in.

D

DHF

Heath always ran mostly smaller fliprooms but bunches of em at multiple locations Bro , and I learned a lot about environment from him , but A/C and dehuey`s as insurance in deep summer have always had to be part of my dialed setups in the deep south regardless of his rule of air exchange twice per minute that took care of my runs 9-10 months a yr....

He also taught me about redundancy equipment and keeping things simple with less moving parts to dial a setup with , that ended up affording me the opportunity to actually have a real life outside of growing when only having to go to each of my locations once a week....that said....

I`d imagine that MOST if not ALL of the "legal" med-ville growers on this site that rock ops HALF your size , Hell , 1/3 of your size would LOVE to have that extraction knowledge and experience to cut down on the 1000`s of dollars a month they spend on A/C and CO2 supplements , but I digress.......

Just know how much I myself appreciate you showing up here outta nowhere , and proving
FIRST hand with a LARGE grow what I`ve been preachin for yrs and yrs for smaller flip/flop rooms turning on and off every 12 hrs a month apart in age for max crops per yr perpetually......and again....

Respect....DHF....:ying:.....

Last edited:

Green_science

Heath always ran smaller fliprooms but bunches of em at multiple locations Bro , and I learned a lot about environment from him , but A/C and dehuey`s as insurance in deep summer have always had to be part of my dialed setups in the deep south regardless of his rule of air exchange twice per minute that took care of my runs 9-10 months a yr....
I hear his name all over the place, as I say I am aware of him, just never took the time to investigate, perhaps you could point me in the way of some of his interesting threads, tbh the only persona online I ever really took time out to actually follow , (who's style of growing is nothing like mine), was Krusty, if for nothing but the pure comedy genius. As I mentioned I am just lucky enough to live in a place that makes it possible to avoid AC's, you can have all the air exchange in the world, but if you're source is 100d
and then you are heating it up (lights), logic clearly shows us we aren't going to end up with 80d room temps.

He also taught me about redundancy equipment and keeping things simple with less moving parts to dial a setup with , that ended up affording me the opportunity to actually have a real life outside of growing when only having to go to each of my locations once a week....that said....
Could not agree more, intact it's not even an option, I simply would not have time to take care of everything, let alone have a life, if things were not mostly automated.

I`d imagine that MOST if not ALL of the "legal" med-ville growers on this site that rock ops HALF your size , Hell , 1/3 of your size would LOVE to have that extraction knowledge and experience to cut down on the 1000`s of dollars a month they spend on A/C and CO2 supplements , but I digress.......

Just know how much I myself appreciate you showing up here outta nowhere , and proving
FIRST hand with a LARGE grow what I`ve been preachin for yrs and yrs for smaller flip/flop rooms turning on and off every 12 hrs a month apart in age for max crops per yr perpetually......and....

Respect....DHF....:ying:.....

Well like you say DHF, some places are of coarse impossible to avoid AC, but sure I bet LOTS and LOTS of people waste LOTS and LOTS of money.

No Problem DHF but if by perpetual you mean sections of the flowering room being harvested at different times, I must disagree, this is a backward method for a commie grower, I explain below.

picture.php

Doing it the way in the diagram, simply means you are 6 weeks behind me at all times, so if something goes wrong ETC ETC, I had the better run and done less work constant cloning/harvesting potting up etc etc.
I imagine I misunderstood you, either way, from my perspective mono cropping a single harvest, provided you have the facilities to take and fully vegetate clones ready to go again straight away, is much more sensible, for the larger guys anyway.

mack 10

Veteran
Thank you for you're kind words DHF, not sure I mentioned 1k bulbs bud, if I did I didn't mean to, there is 364 plants under 64 x 600w in the flowering room and 16 x 600w in the veg chamber, making for a total of 80 x 600w or 48KW, I must admit to never reading a Heath Robinson thread however I have glimpsed at some of his pics and am aware of who he is, over the years I just come to the conclusion that sacrificing air exchange for temp control was/is not the best solution, and that if it is possible, and I understand it isn't for everyone, then maintaining high air flow and using heaters is preferred.

Now for air exchange, I have been using the same extraction fans for a good many years along with growing through a good many summers and winters (which here are pretty consistent from year to year) I nearly exclusively use 600w bulbs and my setups in way of light>space and extraction/intake are nearly identical from the smaller ones right up to the bigger ones, that being 2 x 12" passive intakes (or just under) to each 12" extraction and 1 extraction per 8/9/10 lights I always space lights very similarly in my ops, the height of the ceiling won't really even be considered unless it's extreme, (very tall/short) as it doesn't make much of a difference as everything, in terms of dictating environment, is happening below that level and I use osc fans, along with careful placement of intake/extraction heaters, to keep things consistent throughout the space.
In bloom I run my lights through our night times I know that using my usual method with familiar equipment and scaled setups,that I can cool the room even on the warmest summer nights.

So that's how I control high temps during the hotter season, of coarse me explaining this makes me explaining controlling high temps during the winter months redundant, which leaves controlling low temps during hotter and colder seasons needing explaining, what I usually do is have 2 x 2kw rads per extraction.

In the winter months 1 of these rads will be set for example, to 79 degrees on a digital thermostat the other set to for example 73 degrees, also on a digital thermostat.

Now in the winter if the room drops below 79d then 1 radiator will come on, this keeps my grow room day time temps fluctuating around 79d, once lights go it means it is day time outside of the grow room so I have the benefit of warmer air coming in during lights out, once temps drop below 73d in the room during lights out (which they will do in winter) then rad 2 comes on, now I know 2x2kw heaters set up like this on a winters day (aka grow rooms night) is sufficient, relevant to my intake/extraction (which is always the same), to keep the room above 70d but not powerful enough to warm it to or above 79d, of coarse we don't want a negative temp DIF, if it were an extremely cold winter I may have a 3rd rad set to for example 71d.

Does all this cost a lot more than a fan controller....yes of coarse,
but for me the benefits far outweigh the negatives, constant strong negative pressure, abundance of co2 at all times, lots of high flowing air movement keeping plants thick and strong, the ability to run higher room humidity (if you so desire) all whilst protecting you against mold, and finally (which is very important to me) being able to (safely) really dial in your day/night temp DIF, which of coarse you know all about DHF, but for others whom don't, closing that gap between night/day temps is used throughout the horticulture industry to keep internodal spacing to a minimum.

So thats pretty much it DHF using my usual methods I can get really damn close to a very good replicated environment before tweaking which can then finish it off (if need be), playing with radiator thermostats, as you say aux fans which can of coarse be plugged in to fan controllers , adjusting heights of lights, etc etc, but thanks to pretty predictable weather where I live and a little experience doing these things, I can pretty much go into a room measure it and write a list off the top of my head, more than capable of summers, and oversized for winters.

Respect for you're questions DHF and everyone else. hope I have answered them and shed some light on my methods.
GS

You know your stuff. Great info.
When I scale up to a warehouse, your the dude i'm coming to for advice. I can only imagine harvesting and drying all that herb, how do you go about it?

Also LLP will be over the moon to see his girls getting rocked out like that!
big ups once again.

D

DHF

I see what you`re talking about GS , but I was limited in wattage and amperage draw due to living in an illegal state and having to look like the rest of the houses up and down the street as far as power consumption went to avoid LEO......and...

I was able to pull minimum 10 crops per yr from 1 location with 5-6 lbs per room every 4-5 weeks so perpetual worked well for me due to being a 1 man show , and....

It allowed me to trim once a month per location and keep product flowing regularly since I was the only person that knew I grew...regardless....

Funny you mention the krazy ass klown , cuz that`s the setup I ran for almost a decade before moving on to Ebb and Flow bucket setups in fliprooms that Heath showed me , and yeah.....Krusty was full of himself huh.....

Heath`s retired from the forums raising a family in the UK , but his setups are in google search I`m fairly sure....He was all about getting more weight out of less light and hiding from LEO as well , although I know he rocked a few SOG runs in his early days....anyways....

Welcome and glad to have you here....Keep killin it GS....thanks for your time....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Green_science

You know your stuff. Great info.
When I scale up to a warehouse, your the dude i'm coming to for advice. I can only imagine harvesting and drying all that herb, how do you go about it?

Also LLP will be over the moon to see his girls getting rocked out like that!
big ups once again.

Cheers bud, and I'm happy to help where I can, no secrets over here I will tell you what I can.
For harvesting its all hands on decks, some hired help and of coarse we have a few TrimPro Automatik machines to hand for the more leafy stuff.
Maybe Ill shoot LLP a message and ask him a few questions about the plant.

Wowzas, NICE!!!!!!!
Cheers

I see what you`re talking about GS , but I was limited in wattage and amperage draw due to living in an illegal state and having to look like the rest of the houses up and down the street as far as power consumption went to avoid LEO......and...

I was able to pull minimum 10 crops per yr from 1 location with 5-6 lbs per room every 4-5 weeks so perpetual worked well for me due to being a 1 man show , and....

It allowed me to trim once a month per location and keep product flowing regularly since I was the only person that knew I grew...regardless....
In you're circumstance that of coarse makes sense, you pretty much didn't have another option, I just thought I would throw that diagram out there, to help me explain my preference, of coarse we have to do what we can, fortunately I have the facilities and help to be able to do it the way I do.

Funny you mention the krazy ass klown , cuz that`s the setup I ran for almost a decade before moving on to Ebb and Flow bucket setups in fliprooms that Heath showed me , and yeah.....Krusty was full of himself huh.....

I honestly thought the dude was hilarious, his obnoxiousness and reckless attitude bordered insane, all said and done I see the guy pull down some MONSTERS, no doubt about that he had HIS art pretty much down to a T, I don't think people honestly give him enough respect in the sense of what he pushed before its popularity, in sense of growing system, but hey I liked him was a cool dude at heart or else he wouldn't have been online "trying" to help people lol.

Heath`s retired from the forums raising a family in the UK , but his setups are in google search I`m fairly sure....He was all about getting more weight out of less light and hiding from LEO as well , although I know he rocked a few SOG runs in his early days....anyways....

Welcome and glad to have you here....Keep killin it GS....thanks for your time....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....
Most of his stuff I flicked through, before now, was stadiums and vertis right? Impressive clean optimised setups, I imagined he was/is a plumber, either way good to hear he done well enough for himself to retire :tip hat:

As for being here, the pleasures all mine, just here to share and learn, and thank you for you're time, Peace
GS

Latest posts

Latest posts