What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LOTS a lights

Green_science

DIRT>HYDRO

-less setting up
-less maintenance
-ease of use
-failure rate
-mixing food
-PH
-getting others to take care of large hydro grows with a 100 plugs and 10 tanks that need precise doses of frerts and ph (HARD)
-sturdier plants
-no time waiting for rooted clones to root through rock wall, or having to take to a new system, upon transplant.
-being able to easily move plants around, out you're way, remove, gain access to.
-superior product?

HYDRO>DIRT
-supply and disposal of dirt......
-no dirt dwelling pest, easily avoidable by using superior dirt.

Now I am not saying I swear by the things listed above, or I may even disagree with some of them upon reflection however they were just a few things that sprung instantly to mind.

TBH the reason why I got on to dirt was because this specific strain (that I very much like, and will continue to grow exclusively for some while) much prefers it, and I promise you thats not because I can't dial in a hydro setup, I love hydro, and have been pretty much hydro exclusive up until lately, since using dirt I feel ,(YMMV), it has more going for it, the proof is in the pudding, so much so that I am starting to convert some other places, a couple of which are REALLY BIG, (that are very successful and productive) from hydro to dirt,
Heres a smaller hydro setup

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=234757

Kiloz

I love growing in dirt, but im kinda forced to grow using hydro now, people will start to ask way to many questions if i start transporting all that dirt.

Very nice nft sog :)

Pangea

Veteran
Great thread, thanks for sharing Green_science!

What square footage are you covering per 600w?

"specialty" bulb or generic GE, philips, sylvania?

Have you looking into commercial style air handling units for environmental control in larger rooms? Obviously you've got it dialed and understand what you need to do to tweak your system from season to season but perhaps certain aspects of such a system could be useful.

Love the no walkway, pure sea.

Respect.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
In for the EPICNESS!

Lovely work as usual GS, maybe it's because its late and I'm high but I don't see where you have your oscilatting fans placed.

What are the temps outside when you are using 2 x 12" passive intakes with a 12" extractor (what m3/hr?) to keep 8/9/10 600's cool? I'm assuming your intake air comes directly from outside

Thanks for showing this has gave the lift I needed ;)

Green_science

Great thread, thanks for sharing Green_science!

What square footage are you covering per 600w?

"specialty" bulb or generic GE, philips, sylvania?

Have you looking into commercial style air handling units for environmental control in larger rooms? Obviously you've got it dialed and understand what you need to do to tweak your system from season to season but perhaps certain aspects of such a system could be useful.

Love the no walkway, pure sea.

Respect.

About 55w psqft, my fav 600w bulbs for flowering are sylvania grolux's, I have used and have friends that use OptiClima's, AC and c02 etc, and mostly their yields are the same as mine, larger grows equipped for c02, offer suffer from problems and "for me" is not worth it, I grow LOTS of smaller buds. Doing things the way I do, I usually make 1gpw, without the hassle, maintenance, problems, that such things you mention can lead to, I am happy with mentioned benchmark and this is using genetics that definitely aren't focused on yield. I am a believer, in not trying to reinvent the wheel, or, not fixing what its not broken, what I am trying to say is, I hit the benchmark which most growers consider high end yield, and produce a premium product that commands, where I am from, top dollar, until this changes I have no need to. Simplicity is key, not that I am not for tech, I am a technology freak, BUT I am also realistic, and until a far better way to grow, i.e. a new generation of PROVEN and TESTED lighting comes around, I won't be the pioneer that wastes time and money.

In for the EPICNESS!

Lovely work as usual GS, maybe it's because its late and I'm high but I don't see where you have your oscilatting fans placed.

What are the temps outside when you are using 2 x 12" passive intakes with a 12" extractor (what m3/hr?) to keep 8/9/10 600's cool? I'm assuming your intake air comes directly from outside

Thanks for showing this has gave the lift I needed ;)

Thanks bud OSC fans are there, hard to spot I'm the pics, MOST of them are on the floor angled upwards

Temps around 15f and extraction at 3200m3/h, will deal with 8 600w bulbs placed 3.3 ft sq apart.

No problem, good luck bro

I know its hard to see the girls from the rubbish photography so heres a closer pic
picture.php

The rooms a bit big to get in a photo I can barely get half of it, but heres the girls packing it on.
picture.php

picture.php

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Thank you for you're kind words DHF, not sure I mentioned 1k bulbs bud, if I did I didn't mean to, there is 364 plants under 64 x 600w in the flowering room and 16 x 600w in the veg chamber, making for a total of 80 x 600w or 48KW, I must admit to never reading a Heath Robinson thread however I have glimpsed at some of his pics and am aware of who he is, over the years I just come to the conclusion that sacrificing air exchange for temp control was/is not the best solution, and that if it is possible, and I understand it isn't for everyone, then maintaining high air flow and using heaters is preferred.

Now for air exchange, I have been using the same extraction fans for a good many years along with growing through a good many summers and winters (which here are pretty consistent from year to year) I nearly exclusively use 600w bulbs and my setups in way of light>space and extraction/intake are nearly identical from the smaller ones right up to the bigger ones, that being 2 x 12" passive intakes (or just under) to each 12" extraction and 1 extraction per 8/9/10 lights I always space lights very similarly in my ops, the height of the ceiling won't really even be considered unless it's extreme, (very tall/short) as it doesn't make much of a difference as everything, in terms of dictating environment, is happening below that level and I use osc fans, along with careful placement of intake/extraction heaters, to keep things consistent throughout the space.
In bloom I run my lights through our night times I know that using my usual method with familiar equipment and scaled setups,that I can cool the room even on the warmest summer nights.

So that's how I control high temps during the hotter season, of coarse this makes me explaining controlling high temps during the winter months redundant, which leaves controlling low temps during hotter and colder seasons needing explaining, what I usually do is have 2 x 2kw rads per extraction.

In the winter months 1 of these rads will be set for example, to 79 degrees on a digital thermostat the other set to for example 73 degrees, also on a digital thermostat.

Now in the winter if the room drops below 79d then 1 radiator will come on, this keeps my grow room day time temps fluctuating around 79d, once lights go it means it is day time outside of the grow room so I have the benefit of warmer air coming in during lights out, once temps drop below 73d in the room during lights out (which they will do in winter) then rad 2 comes on, now I know 2x2kw heaters set up like this on a winters day (aka grow rooms night) is sufficient, relevant to my intake/extraction (which is always the same), to keep the room above 70d but not powerful enough to warm it to or above 79d, of coarse we don't want a negative temp DIF, if it were an extremely cold winter I may have a 3rd rad set to for example 71d.

Does all this cost a lot more than a fan controller....yes of coarse,
but for me the benefits far outweigh the negatives, constant strong negative pressure, abundance of co2 at all times, lots of high flowing air movement keeping plants thick and strong, the ability to run higher room humidity (if you so desire) all whilst protecting you against mold, and finally (which is very important to me) being able to (safely) really dial in your day/night temp DIF, which of coarse you know all about DHF, but for others whom don't, closing that gap between night/day temps is used throughout the horticulture industry to keep internodal spacing to a minimum.

So thats pretty much it DHF using my usual methods I can get really damn close to a very good replicated environment before tweaking which can then finish it off (if need be), playing with radiator thermostats, as you say aux fans which can of coarse be plugged in to fan controllers , adjusting heights of lights, etc etc, but thanks to pretty predictable weather where I live and a little experience doing these things, I can pretty much go into a room measure it and write a list off the top of my head, more than capable of summers, and oversized for winters.

Respect for you're questions DHF and everyone else. hope I have answered them and shed some light on my methods.
GS

Excellent write-up! This was an extremely helpful post.
Esp the part about sacraficing airflow vs temp control.
Great read!
You must have a serious electric bill every month. LOL

Naturally Wired

AHWW.. WHAT A NICE LITTLE GROWCHAMBER..:biggrin:
I mean, it could be a bit short if you consume too much, anyway, nice own needs grow.

ok ,fun aside , this is a GREAT Place , NICE Strains , and it really looks like you (and your helping hands ) gonna have some REAL Work @harvest
And i dont see ANY kind of Problems , like spidermites (HORROR @ this Size ...)or Plant deseases , Congratiolations!!
:tiphat:

GReen dreAM

Veteran
Impressive !!

How many days will take You and ur team <propabaly> to harvest 384 plants....??

RESPECT !!!

gd

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
you are for sure the green science..i have to say that im
imprest and i want to give you wishes for the best...
take care and do whats you do, safely and dont forget that you
are human person..
amazing job ,respect bro....lots of lights :woohoo:

Every once in a while you find a thread like yours (and jackmayoffer) that is far and above all others in terms of production. Thanks for sharing. Would you care to elaborate on what kind of soil mix and fertilizer regiment you have found to work best?

Latest posts

Latest posts