What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lophophora Williamsii (Peyote) cactus growing

elchischas

Veteran
That would be a strong dose for one person if prepared correctly.
Hi bro...
Usually this kind of plant isn't for consume
This rare specimen can happens 1-10000 so if You find this better take care as a truly jewel.
I Discovery a isolate population of giant lophophora,the plants can be really huge, one that I saw on habitat it was 10 inch wide! Thats crazy! I took one specimen to know more about it this rare form
IMG_20210728_151700.jpg

Somatek

Hi bro...
Usually this kind of plant isn't for consume
This rare specimen can happens 1-10000 so if You find this better take care as a truly jewel.
Thanks for the info, I know san pedro is a lot weaker then peruvian torch but couldn't remember how much exactly. I only grow peyote for the joy of them, luckily living in Canada it's legal so I can always buy dried buttons if I want to trip.
I Discovery a isolate population of giant lophophora,the plants can be really huge, one that I saw on habitat it was 10 inch wide! Thats crazy! I took one specimen to know more about it this rare form
That's a pretty spectacular plant, how long have you been growing it? It's obvious you're passionate about these magnificent cacti, absolutely loved your pics of the plants in the wild, absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

nono_fr

I find an explanation on grafting :

Grafting peyote onto faster growing species such as Trichocereus can increase the speed of growth. The process is not difficult, but it needs to be done well. Cutting the head of a peyote reveals a ring of fibrous material. This ring contains all the capillaries that the plant uses to transport water and nutrients. Cutting the tip of a trichocereus reveals a similar ring that performs the same functions.

Ideally, both rings will be the same size, but this cannot be guaranteed and depends on the size of the cut on the plants you have available. Place the cut side of the peyote flat against the cut side of the trichocereus. Make sure that the fibrous rings are well bonded together. If the rings are different sizes, make sure they overlap properly.

The peyote graft now needs to be held firmly in place. Use rubber bands to secure the head and hook to the spines of the trichocereus. A scar will quickly form and the peyote graft will begin to feed on its substitute shortly.

Somatek

They’re a relatively slow growing species but grafting will speed them up a lot. This L. williamsii has been grafted onto a T. peruvianus for seven years and still blow’s my mind with the size and growth rate.
I can see why, what an incredible specimen. I haven't seem many pics of peyote grafted onto T. peruvianus (I can't remember the species I typically see it grafted to on the subreddit I follow), any particular reason you choose it or just a hardier stock to support a bigger plant on top? I have to bulk out a seed order as the Ma Huang (Ephedra sinica) don't meet the minimum amount, so I'll be picking up some more L. williamsii seeds to try my hand at growing some from seeds. If you have any tips beyound the usual I'd love to hear them, always appreciative to learn from others experience.

Montuno

...como el Son...
I have several growing in my garden and they take may years to grow to maturity, if i was intending to take it I wouldn't bother growing it as it just takes too long. As @Somatek says, if you want to get high then look to T. Peruvianus. They grow real quick in comparison; Our local garden centre has them; 3 or 4 in a little pot for about 3euros. I have many protecting our cortijo from evil spirts.
They grow really well and quickly from cuttings.

The garden centre also sells Peyote buttons but they are only a couple of years old and you need many for a trip. I have them growing at the base of my San Pedros.

You've gone and got my mind working now ad I'm thinking, "?maybe its time to do some San Pedro again"

Can you (or samebody) tell me what species it is?
Best regards.
IMG_20220805_200410.jpg

VenerableHippie

A family member just came back from Mexico. Sonora, I think. He'd gone there to meet Mescalito. He told me there was an issue with availabilty because so many people were stripping the plants.

Castaneda (Don Juan series) says he ate a number of buds (are they?) at a time, three times. According to Castaneda Mescalito announced himself with a loud roar like a jet plane.

Castaneda experienced being showered in golden light when 'playing' with Mescalito. In the morning when he told Don Juan about the light shower, Don Juan rolled around laughing at the story because while Castaneda was lying on the verandah tripping out of his skull, a dog had walked up and pissed on him!!!

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew this Peruvian Torch from seed, I got the seeds from the back of a high times magazine in the mid 90's came from spiritual church of medicine or something like that in New Mexico. It's actually 25 years old but cut off the top & gave the bottom 5 ft to a guy that did our landscape he knew exactly what it was & was stoked lol I recently attempted growing some peyote seeds i had ordered but the little buggers died from a variety of things, I'll have to give it another try in the near future i also have some san pedro going but i believe that they are the non/low active variety.

IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_2052.jpg
IMG_2053.jpg

Last edited:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
A family member just came back from Mexico. Sonora, I think. He'd gone there to meet Mescalito. He told me there was an issue with availabilty because so many people were stripping the plants.

Castaneda (Don Juan series) says he ate a number of buds (are they?) at a time, three times. According to Castaneda Mescalito announced himself with a loud roar like a jet plane.

Castaneda experienced being showered in golden light when 'playing' with Mescalito. In the morning when he told Don Juan about the light shower, Don Juan rolled around laughing at the story because while Castaneda was lying on the verandah tripping out of his skull, a dog had walked up and pissed on him!!!
LOL, golden shower indeed.

island_organics

I can see why, what an incredible specimen. I haven't seem many pics of peyote grafted onto T. peruvianus (I can't remember the species I typically see it grafted to on the subreddit I follow), any particular reason you choose it or just a hardier stock to support a bigger plant on top? I have to bulk out a seed order as the Ma Huang (Ephedra sinica) don't meet the minimum amount, so I'll be picking up some more L. williamsii seeds to try my hand at growing some from seeds. If you have any tips beyound the usual I'd love to hear them, always appreciative to learn from others experience.
I used the peruvianus as i had plenty of it and it's a good stock plant. I think you're referring to pereskiopsis as a common stock for grafting which is fast growing but not able to hold heavy scions. It's used mostly for grafting seedlings. germination is fairly simple for all cacti...most people use flourescent lighting or led's for propagation. i use a 50/50 mix of coir and fine grit which i rinse with boiling water. You don't need to sterilize the medium, just clean it up a little. You want high humidity and temps of 75 to 80f. Seeds sown on the surface, not covered as they need light for germination. With those conditions and fresh seeds you'll see germination in a week to ten days .I like to mist them with water daily at that point until they are about six weeks old, and then you can begin hardening them off by lowering the humidity and slowly increasing light levels.

Somatek

I used the peruvianus as i had plenty of it and it's a good stock plant. I think you're referring to pereskiopsis as a common stock for grafting which is fast growing but not able to hold heavy scions. It's used mostly for grafting seedlings. germination is fairly simple for all cacti...most people use flourescent lighting or led's for propagation. i use a 50/50 mix of coir and fine grit which i rinse with boiling water. You don't need to sterilize the medium, just clean it up a little. You want high humidity and temps of 75 to 80f. Seeds sown on the surface, not covered as they need light for germination. With those conditions and fresh seeds you'll see germination in a week to ten days .I like to mist them with water daily at that point until they are about six weeks old, and then you can begin hardening them off by lowering the humidity and slowly increasing light levels.
You're dead on about the pereskiopsis and thank you for the info, it's greatly appreciated (as much or more then those gorgeous pics).

nono_fr

I have ordered some lophophora seeds, I am waiting for the delivery.

My seedlings of the spring, I started them in a small greenhouse in the vegetation tent ( 18 light / 06 night ) . I kept them wet until I could not see the cotyledons anymore. Then I alternate watering and letting them dry.:tumbleweed:

here some seedling in mothers plant box:
DSCF0006.JPG

and now they have 14 hours of light - cactus mix :
DSCF0001.JPG