What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lophophora Williamsii (Peyote) cactus growing

Somatek

They grow very slow, which is why most people grow T. Peruvianus for personal use as it grows much quicker despite having lower alkaloid concentrations.

Reactions: Gry

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
They grow very slowly, even in the desert environment they come from. It IS still growing... right!!?!? lol

The size of your palm? Bigger? Not sure really.

Wait... you eat these?? What kind of a hero? lol

I only know the natives around here make tea out of it. I have no personal experience with it, just brief conversations on the subject.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
What he sez, very slow to grow. I believe on the internet they have other types of cactus available in the quantities needed. If you can get the Vice Network on cable, look for streaming of Hamilton's Pharma as they have episodes about all sorts of drugs. Among the episodes are a show about Peyote and also one about a South American cactus.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I have several growing in my garden and they take may years to grow to maturity, if i was intending to take it I wouldn't bother growing it as it just takes too long. As @Somatek says, if you want to get high then look to T. Peruvianus. They grow real quick in comparison; Our local garden centre has them; 3 or 4 in a little pot for about 3euros. I have many protecting our cortijo from evil spirts.
They grow really well and quickly from cuttings.

The garden centre also sells Peyote buttons but they are only a couple of years old and you need many for a trip. I have them growing at the base of my San Pedros.

You've gone and got my mind working now ad I'm thinking, "?maybe its time to do some San Pedro again"

Last edited:

nono_fr

This year I pop some cactus under light - this is a cheap way to have cactus
not very good pics because battery are low
DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

I build an open box for them with a 36 W chinese led
DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

I will give them 14 hours of light until fall , after they sleep for winter .

I have pop astrophytum mix to have mandala/star shape, they born but after the died - the don't like too wet .
I will try again next year

the astrophytum :
s-l1000.jpg

for psychedelic there is the san Pedro - Echinopsis pachanoi ( mescaline ) grow faster than peyotl
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_pachanoi
Starr_070320-5799_Echinopsis_pachanoi.jpg

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Indeed, San Pedro grows very well in many places. Now that you mention it, I probably have 40+ cuttings at the moment. lolol I sell them at the local market for $5 each. I tasted one once and it was suuuper bitter. Not my bag, but like I said before they do sell well. :)

nono_fr

@ elchischas : I find the lophophora Friccii on a site which says that it is also known as false Peyote because mescaline in it, is low !!! -> https://psychonautwiki.org/wiki/Lophophora_fricii

@ Douglas.Curtis :I bought a 50 cm long one in San Sebastian ( Euskadi - north Spain ), but we took it as tea with sugar to 5 people and the effects were too light . May not be the right way to take it.

@: mean mr.mustard Read up on grafting. : If a cactus flowering once, it will flowering all the time and his cutting too !

🌵

Last edited:

Somatek

@ elchischas : I find the lophophora Friccii on a site which says that it is also known as false Peyote because mescaline in it, is low !!! -> https://psychonautwiki.org/wiki/Lophophora_fricii

Peyote growers are usually more obsessed with the cacti then getting high, what makes that plant rare/valuable is the size, shape and beauty of it. Not the mescaline content which is easier/more efficient to produce by growing T. Peruvianus considering the growth rate and mescaline concentration.

I'd guess you had a light experience when you and your friends tried it in Spain was from taking a light dose more then taking it improperly as you need to take a lot of san pedro/T. Peruvianus due to the low mescaline concentration.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Peyote growers are usually more obsessed with the cacti then getting high, what makes that plant rare/valuable is the size, shape and beauty of it. Not the mescaline content which is easier/more efficient to produce by growing T. Peruvianus considering the growth rate and mescaline concentration.

I'd guess you had a light experience when you and your friends tried it in Spain was from taking a light dose more then taking it improperly as you need to take a lot of san pedro/T. Peruvianus due to the low mescaline concentration.
I grow Peyote for the reasons above!

San Pedro is a slow burn but kicks ass when done correctly; Similar to Ayahuasca, but also very different, as I'm sure you know.🌵

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity

@ Douglas.Curtis :I bought a 50 cm long one in San Sebastian ( Euskadi - north Spain ), but we took it as tea with sugar to 5 people and the effects were too light . May not be the right way to take it.

@: mean mr.mustard Read up on grafting. : If a cactus flowering once, it will flowering all the time and his cutting too !

🌵
That would be a strong dose for one person if prepared correctly.

Somatek

I grow Peyote for the reasons above!

San Pedro is a slow burn but kicks ass when done correctly; Similar to Ayahuasca, but also very different, as I'm sure you know.🌵
I'm not surprised there's another loph head on ICmag, sadly I just have a couple wee babies and nothing magnificent to show off. Just two wee L. Williamsii and 3 L. Diffusa that are horribly etiolated from neglect. Maybe once the pot garden is set up I'll look at expanding with some Peruvian Torch. It's been years since I had a mixed entheogenic garden and what better use of space then to grow your own trip.

Attachments

• 20220727_112824.jpg
    20220727_112824.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 90

nono_fr

This is a virtual visit of a cactus grower . ( english subtitles are not too bad ! )

For winter time, he have a greenhouse at 5°C ( 41 °F ) for cactus that don't like too cold . And the pthers stay outside, but he cover a lot of them because they can resist very cold if the soil is not wet .
Survival requirements are necessary to make them flourish .

A15'20, he shows us his mothers cactus . He keep preciously one of each species . He take cuttings from them to have some cactus which can bloom to sell them .

same visit at summer time :

Yes, I lived near field where there was psilocybin ( some cow fields ) when I was teenager . But you're right to say to be careful !