What's new

Looking for that PINE!

BC*Dankster*

Old northern lights genetics were known for their pine flavour... I think it was the #1 , but I may be mistaken. You can search for some of those beans?

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
stoney917 Thanks stoney for confirming I am headed in the right direction. Thankfully I already have the seeds in hand, it’s just a matter of time and space. Still hope to get to them before the year is out. If nothing else PTK will be ran this year and the other two may have to kick off 2023.

Found a couple more Pirates of the Emerald Triangle crosses still available with '79 XMas Bud in them. One is with Mendo Purple I think and the other is Girl Scout Cookies. I think I may start with the ladder if I can't get the pure '79XMB. CoolBeans has them.

Thanks ojd for your suggestions as well. I will look into Mullumbimby as well.

For some reason I am daydreaming about attempting a '79 Xmas Bud X OG Larry X Pine Tar Kush. Getting enough material to work with and selective breeding is obviously the challenge but something to keep in mind for the future. I think a little lemon freshness in with the pine couldn't hurt, could call it "Lemon Scented Pine Sol"

For now I may need to just find something with enough pine in it to satisfy my initial cravings for personal use.

Shoot an email to Humboldt CSI and ask if PTK and or Xmas Bud will be restocked. I grabbed my pack of Xmas Bud when it said 3 packs left. Then I saw it sit at 1 pack for awhile and then it jumped up to 14 (don’t recall exact number but it was restocked). Saw it out of stock for a bit and then show 11 packs (again, not exact number). Watched it do the up and down and out of stock for a few months. Maybe they’re completely out of stock now, maybe not. Worth a shot to ask.

Also, check with The Landrace Team for PTK.

Happy Times

Thanks Miasa - Its funny how things go in and out of flavor and that the Terpinolene is being breeded against. I did hear that it was a Dutch quality as Dutch Treat was mentioned. And also thanks for the welcome to the forum. I will be poking around a bit in my free time to take advantage of this resource. Quick newb question, I do not see the way to "like" a post. I clicked on the button that said "# likes" and nothing happened.

Not sure if anyone agrees with these sites or not- I suppose one way would be to procure some samples and see if they are what I like. https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/strains-for-people-love-pine-terpenes and another: https://wayofleaf.com/cannabis/best-picks/the-5-best-cannabis-strains-that-have-a-piney-flavor

One thing to note: As I've grown older I've become a little more of a lightweight. Strains that are really potent and very cerebral have the ability to trigger light panic attacks in me. For that reason I have generally been steering clear of dominant Sativas but I know that could be folly. Any thoughts on this. I do like a body buzz with a little bit of alertness and energy packed in. That's why the OG Kush pine tasting Phenos like Pine OG and Larry OG have peaked my interest in this hunt though a cross with a haze sounds like it could counter the couch lock effect.

On the OG theme:

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...6-what-seed-company-can-make-the-best-og-kush

EastCoastGambit

stoney917 Thanks stoney for confirming I am headed in the right direction. Thankfully I already have the seeds in hand, it’s just a matter of time and space. Still hope to get to them before the year is out. If nothing else PTK will be ran this year and the other two may have to kick off 2023.

Shoot an email to Humboldt CSI and ask if PTK and or Xmas Bud will be restocked. I grabbed my pack of Xmas Bud when it said 3 packs left. Then I saw it sit at 1 pack for awhile and then it jumped up to 14 (don’t recall exact number but it was restocked). Saw it out of stock for a bit and then show 11 packs (again, not exact number). Watched it do the up and down and out of stock for a few months. Maybe they’re completely out of stock now, maybe not. Worth a shot to ask.

Also, check with The Landrace Team for PTK.

I shot them a message on InstaGram. I will let you know if I get a reply. Might try via there email as well. Thanks

EastCoastGambit

I may just start acquiring what I can and will play around on my mission to find or breed the traits I am after. A local seedbank has the Romulan so I might start there. https://wellgrownseeds.com/Romulan-Genetics-Romulan-“BX1”-p314766219

I will keep my eyes peeled for PTK though it appears the landrace team could have some - though I wonder if the Tom Hill selections could be better? https://www.tltseeds.com/pine-tar-kush-ptk/

From there I could also explore Larry OG and will also have my eyes peeled for Xmas bud.

I will grow out as many as I can and will keep the keepers alive to try my 1st crosses.

I will be reading up a lot. thanks all

Amynamous

I may just start acquiring what I can and will play around on my mission to find or breed the traits I am after. A local seedbank has the Romulan so I might start there. https://wellgrownseeds.com/Romulan-Genetics-Romulan-“BX1”-p314766219

I will keep my eyes peeled for PTK though it appears the landrace team could have some - though I wonder if the Tom Hill selections could be better? https://www.tltseeds.com/pine-tar-kush-ptk/

From there I could also explore Larry OG and will also have my eyes peeled for Xmas bud.

I will grow out as many as I can and will keep the keepers alive to try my 1st crosses.

Humboldt CSI has PTK and Xmas bud.

Happy Times

Pretty fun Romulan thread:

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...g/345943-canadian-romulan-vs-american-romulan

and I saw some legit looking descriptions from Romulan Genetics in the recent past, no personal experience though

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
VerdantGreen Is the PTK gone for good? I am late to the party trying to relive these genetics from my youth.

i doubt i would do another repro for a while. i thought Nspecta had done a bigger one soon after i did mine ?

if it's pine you are looking for i would recommend the Pine Tar Gush cross that i did (gorilla bubble x PTK )in collaboration with Tonygreen - i just grew out the F2s to make F3s and the pine comes through really clear and strong with a slightly fuel/solvent edge that seems to amplify the Piney-ness.. also more potent than the straight PTK (which had decent potency for what it was, i would say).

just about to send some of those F3s seedbay and over to Tony as well

VG

EastCoastGambit

So CSI Humboldt has re-stocked their PTK and '79 Xmas Bud. I ordered some Romulan "BX1" already. Now I'm kind of getting to thinking which qualities does each have and is PTK a land race strain? Also since these are open pollinated there is the chance for hermies, how do I work through that if I am attempting to breed my own crosses?

Also wondered if '79 Xmas Bud has a chance of being a relative of Romulan since they are both old school strains.

I have more research to do, but just wanted to update folks that CSI has re-stocked those packs on their site - don't buy them all though.

goingrey

Also since these are open pollinated there is the chance for hermies, how do I work through that if I am attempting to breed my own crosses?

Stress them out and see how they react. Things like heat, small containers, underwatering... Don't use the ones that throw nanners.

Or just don't worry about it. Are those hermie-prone lines even?

44:86N

Or just don't worry about it. Are those hermie-prone lines even?

What goingrey said.

Just don't worry about it!

You have some great stuff there!

Read up on the DJ Short articles in the breeder's lab and have a blast!

Learning as you go is the best teacher, for sure.

I think if a plant really wants to make some seed, it will find its' sneaky little way. But once again, just don't worry about it!

See what you get and take it from there. I would recommend taking clones, and keeping them in veg for future work once you've gone through a grow cycle with the parents, if you really want to be sure you are making some good crosses.

Other than that, enjoy!!!

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Sowah PTG is excellent too!
atalavera201_20220130111847.png

EastCoastGambit

Most pine I’ve come across recently is the Loompa Headband aka Underdawg OG…

Rosin is like dabbing pine sap. Jar smells like pine cones… Not pinesol but pine forest.

Vegging up that Bodhi Pinesoul cut now, we’ll see how it stands up.

-DD

Sounds excellent - keep me informed on the Pinesoul. If you have any extra Underdawg OG seeds I'd be down to trade.

EastCoastGambit

So I got some new gear in to try to hunt the PINE and make new PINE heavy crosses. Thanks for all the input everyone.

I got some Romulan "BX1" that I will 1st grow out (once my current run is finished) and will look to select the most pine like one. Then I got some '79 Xmas bud and I will do the same. Then I select a male of the 79 XMB and cross them together. Once I find a good cut from that cross I will try and introduce another genetic (thinking OG Larry, Pine Tar Gush, or Underdawg OG) Then maybe back cross to a strong XMB female.

Probably getting ahead of myself as it sounds like this could take years to develop. My process might not even make sense. I'm down for the challenge though.

G

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hope you have better luck with the '79 Xmas bud than I did.
I was excited when I picked up a pack last summer from CSI Humboldt. Grew some out and the plants were about 1ft tall (zero stretch), mostly big leaves and almost no bud.
I went online to see if I could find any more info about these seeds. I found a thread on a board that I wish I had bookmarked. It described exactly the same thing I saw in these plants.
What the poster in the thread saw and what I was seeing, totally aligned.
He said these grew out like Steele Savage's un-worked Ancient Afghan line.
I totally agree with this.
Steele Savage sent me some of those Ancient Afghan seeds many years ago to test. I grew them out at the time, and they grew out 1ft tall plants that sucked. Steele didn't ever release those seeds commercially because they needed a lot of work to get them to be worthwhile.
This is the exact growth, height, suckiness, as the '79 Xmas bud plants I grew from the seeds last summer. None of the plants I grew from Steele's Ancient Afghan, nor '79 Xmas bud had any kind of pine smell.
I do hope you find the pine! I know I've been searching for that true pine for many years and still looking.