What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for that PINE!

EastCoastGambit

Hello everyone, please be patient as this is my 1st post and I signed up because after reading a few things this community seems well informed. A little background, I have been "hobby growing" for about 3 years or so. I have a little 2 x 4 tent and have also dabbled with a couple outdoor plants here in there. I live in MA.

Anyways I am on the hunt for genetics for my next grow. Currently I'm early in bloom on my second run of Sundae Driver X Grape Cream Cake (Bloom Seeds) Previous to that I was running "The Get Down" from (Solfire Gardens) I also had some "Cookies" freebies called Mendo Cookies which I really enjoyed. All these have seem to invoke those fruity/sweet/gassy flavors with Indica leaning profiles though the GCC X SD is fairly balanced.

I am looking to change it up and some of my favorite reminiscent toking experiences were both the 2004-2010 Upstate NY OG Diesel strains and local to me I believe someone was growing this "Christmas Tree" weed with heavy pine flavor back in the day.

Upon light research it appears Pinene terps are not necessarily correlated to that taste but I like the idea of the anti-inflammatory and anxiety reducing effect. Some strains claimed to have that pine flavor and smell include OG Larry, Green Crack, and Pine OG. So seems like specific OG Kush phenos.

I guess I am looking for something that isn't so sleepy and more balanced that still has a heady pine flavor? I saw one breeder, (Kaiser Selects?) Came up with Ashy Larry which is listed as Green Crack x LarryOG x Sky Walker OG. This sounds delightful. It appears most of these base genetics are hard to obtain in seed form. Does anyone know a breeder who is working on these piney crosses that offers seeds? The whole thought of selectively breeding for the pine almost makes me want to dabble in trying my own crosses but obviously I don't have the set up or experience to make that happen at this time.

Miasa Mura

Hey East Coast Gambit,

that Pine “Christmas Tree” smell is from the Terpinolene terpene. A lot of the breeders have been selecting against it, but if you look for Haze’s, Dutch breeders, and strains with genetics like Jack Herer, Durban Poison, Dutch Treat, Ghost Train Haze, XJ-13, Golden Goat, J1 are all very high in Terpinolene, which is a strong genetic and seems to be one of the most dominating terpenes in The plant when breeding with. Hope this helps you on your mission!

EastCoastGambit

Hey East Coast Gambit,

that Pine “Christmas Tree” smell is from the Terpinolene terpene. A lot of the breeders have been selecting against it, but if you look for Haze’s, Dutch breeders, and strains with genetics like Jack Herer, Durban Poison, Dutch Treat, Ghost Train Haze, XJ-13, Golden Goat, J1 are all very high in Terpinolene, which is a strong genetic and seems to be one of the most dominating terpenes in The plant when breeding with. Hope this helps you on your mission!

Thanks Miasa - Its funny how things go in and out of flavor and that the Terpinolene is being breeded against. I did hear that it was a Dutch quality as Dutch Treat was mentioned. And also thanks for the welcome to the forum. I will be poking around a bit in my free time to take advantage of this resource. Quick newb question, I do not see the way to "like" a post. I clicked on the button that said "# likes" and nothing happened.

Not sure if anyone agrees with these sites or not- I suppose one way would be to procure some samples and see if they are what I like. https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/strains-for-people-love-pine-terpenes and another: https://wayofleaf.com/cannabis/best-picks/the-5-best-cannabis-strains-that-have-a-piney-flavor

One thing to note: As I've grown older I've become a little more of a lightweight. Strains that are really potent and very cerebral have the ability to trigger light panic attacks in me. For that reason I have generally been steering clear of dominant Sativas but I know that could be folly. Any thoughts on this. I do like a body buzz with a little bit of alertness and energy packed in. That's why the OG Kush pine tasting Phenos like Pine OG and Larry OG have peaked my interest in this hunt though a cross with a haze sounds like it could counter the couch lock effect.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
my skywalker has super pine funk on the nose great kush flavor and high. came acroos this stuff called christmas pine 04ish never forgot that bud it was killer. wonder if its the same you speak of im in upstate

goingrey

One thing to note: As I've grown older I've become a little more of a lightweight. Strains that are really potent and very cerebral have the ability to trigger light panic attacks in me. For that reason I have generally been steering clear of dominant Sativas but I know that could be folly. Any thoughts on this. I do like a body buzz with a little bit of alertness and energy packed in. That's why the OG Kush pine tasting Phenos like Pine OG and Larry OG have peaked my interest in this hunt though a cross with a haze sounds like it could counter the couch lock effect.

I've never found OGs to be super couchlocky. If anything a very balanced hybrid. Can be really potent and very cerebral though - if that is what you want to avoid, probably something else is a better option.

Red October

Satori from mandala from the latest batch released gave me a very indica leaning pheno that is straight pine in smell and flavour, for me it's stronger than the more sativa phenos as it gave more body effect and doesn't give you any heart fluttering or paranoia. What I like about her is that you don't build resistance fast and has a nice mood enhancing effect, just something else to consider, maybe some different genes in your pool would be welcome.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Welcome to ICMAG!

I was growing that NYC Diesel you speak of back in the day..

image_1336713.jpg

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Was going to tell you Pirates of The Emerald Triangle offer both Pine Tar Kush and ’79 Xmas Bud; but I checked first and both are out of stock at the moment. Might want to keep an eye out as I have seen them come in stock and go out a few times. And either or both may be available elsewhere, that I am not aware of.

I plan to do a (heavy) pine hunt. It’s on my short list and I am actually behind schedule as I had hoped to already be doing it… I will be looking through PTK and ’79 Xmas Bud as well as Romulan. I am guessing a potential (heavy) winner is more likely to be found in PTK or Xmas Bud but Romulan reportedly produces some plants with a good pine nose.

Best of luck in your search!

browntrout

Veteran
Terpinolene is not what I associate with pine flavours personally. Have worked with it a long time and seen it in different variations. It’s really hard to get it to play nice in hybrids and never seems to create any novel smells. Terpinolene dominant strains are extremely dominant and easy for most to get bored or 99% of the time you won’t get the taste to match the smell, unless your making bho. I’ve seen one pheno of one strain that was balanced and had extraordinary flavour sweet/spiced/terpinolene/hash doubt it’ll ever be seen again. I get pine out of more earthy/skunky strains, LA confidential was earthy/piney lime, intoxicating and yet still different from OG’s I’ve seen.

pre kush era the pine nose seemed more dominant.

could definitely see it coming from the 90/00’s haze hybrids as others said.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to mention Mullumbimby Madness x Nevil Haze as the Mullumbimby leaners is 1 of the most piney strains i ever tried. Its an extreme up potent Haze though so i see you said Haze can bring on panic attacks so probaly not for you. There are many Indica leaning Mullum X's like Strawberry Madness ( Strawberry Cookies x NH x Mulum , Casey Jones x NH x MM , Purple Cheddar OG x NH x MM and many more so maybe look into those. Pm me for info

EastCoastGambit

Found a couple more Pirates of the Emerald Triangle crosses still available with '79 XMas Bud in them. One is with Mendo Purple I think and the other is Girl Scout Cookies. I think I may start with the ladder if I can't get the pure '79XMB. CoolBeans has them.

Thanks ojd for your suggestions as well. I will look into Mullumbimby as well.

For some reason I am daydreaming about attempting a '79 Xmas Bud X OG Larry X Pine Tar Kush. Getting enough material to work with and selective breeding is obviously the challenge but something to keep in mind for the future. I think a little lemon freshness in with the pine couldn't hurt, could call it "Lemon Scented Pine Sol"

For now I may need to just find something with enough pine in it to satisfy my initial cravings for personal use.

Latest posts

Latest posts