What's new

Looking for that PINE!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Only popped 3 of the Xmas Bud due to limited space but I have 2 that are twins and one much taller and lankier that I thought would be male that actually is female. The other two are squat and bushy.

Nice! I understand about limited space... PTK giving me nine girls hasn't helped my space situation at all. It's actually put me in a spot where I do not think I will be popping any Friesland next. Instead I am pretty sure I will pop two of the Romulan S1s and six of Romulan regs. More than likely toward the end of November but really depends on how soon current girls finish up.

I do have a couple PTK that have piney smells from the stem rubs. But unfortunately none of them are really packing on the resin. Can't even really get a decent rub for stinky fingers. Five weeks into flower and they look to be a good ways from the finish line. I am seeing some differences in flower formation with one looking very interesting. And it's too early to say but I think the first one to show and most different from the rest - most BLD looking - might be black pheno.

Group, wk5:

Group, wk5.jpg

Lack of resin on the two outliers:

#1, wk5:

#1, wk5.jpg

#10, wk5:

#10, wk5.jpg

@browntrout combining '79 Xmas Bud and PTK is what I am planning to do. I have a cutting of the one PTK male. I plan to keep him until I pop '79 to see what I find there.

linde

Interesting. My PTK are resin monsters. I've got 4 slightly different phenos definite indica structure but stretchier than the 79'. Smells range from fruity sweet to skunky pine to lime. But none have that illusive sharp floral skunk pine that seemed to have been bred out in the mid 90s. The search is still on!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Interesting. My PTK are resin monsters. I've got 4 slightly different phenos definite indica structure but stretchier than the 79'. Smells range from fruity sweet to skunky pine to lime. But none have that illusive sharp floral skunk pine that seemed to have been bred out in the mid 90s. The search is still on!
That is interesting. Especially since these are still lacking resin at 9wks. Was your PTK from Nspecta? I am still struggling to come up with an accurate likeness for the nose on these plants. Almost all are the same. At the moment there is really only two that smell differently. One a skunk/pine nose and another makes me think of Andes Chocolate Mints... the rest a minty/turpentine like nose. I mean, they all smell great and are rather pronounced... they smell better than some Chem '91 and Wolf Pack plants that are sharing the tent with them. Maybe after drying and curing more of a pine nose will come through. But not a one of them really looks ready, very little pistil coloring/withering.

Here's two (#4 and #5) of the nine:

Wk 9, #5.jpg

Wk 9, #4.jpg

#10, pictured above at week 5, is fox tailing. Some interesting plants.

Won't be long now and I will pop some Romulan and see if there's some potential there.

EastCoastGambit

Those look a bit frosty to me. Mine have a similar thing going on, bud look like they are going to be smaller, though I'm not putting enough effort into the grow. They almost appear a little haze like in the bud structure for an Indica dominant plant.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Very nice! Four weeks is still pretty early so it’s promising that you are getting some pine coming through already. Maybe it will intensify. At least there’s room to hope.

Those look a bit frosty to me. Mine have a similar thing going on, bud look like they are going to be smaller, though I'm not putting enough effort into the grow. They almost appear a little haze like in the bud structure for an Indica dominant plant.

They are sporting some frost, I just expected greater resin coverage from this line. But have recently read where others have reported less than stellar coverage. Plus it might not help that another plant is doing much better in that regard, amplifying the difference.

#1, day 65.jpg

"Haze like" you say...

#10, day 65.jpg

:bigeye:

(Did not expect anything like that to come out of PTK!)

MIGreenman

Beautiful plants here and interesting conversation. I can tell you that I have popped hundreds of seeds in the last few years alone and being a fan of the original gorilla glue, I somehow ended up with a free seed of sticky glue I think it was from compound genetics. This one seed actually produced a keeper plant and most of you know how unusual that is. It is a strong, strong pine oil smoke that coats the mouth and tongue. Absolutely delicious. I would call it more of a full spectrum effect where the OG forms the foundation with some upbeat euphoria laid over the top of it. Good to excellent potency and the yield was actually really good too for a tiny plant. I got over 6 oz off of it. Recommended for pine lovers everywhere. Stay frosty my friends.

EastCoastGambit

Beautiful plants here and interesting conversation. I can tell you that I have popped hundreds of seeds in the last few years alone and being a fan of the original gorilla glue, I somehow ended up with a free seed of sticky glue I think it was from compound genetics. This one seed actually produced a keeper plant and most of you know how unusual that is. It is a strong, strong pine oil smoke that coats the mouth and tongue. Absolutely delicious. I would call it more of a full spectrum effect where the OG forms the foundation with some upbeat euphoria laid over the top of it. Good to excellent potency and the yield was actually really good too for a tiny plant. I got over 6 oz off of it. Recommended for pine lovers everywhere. Stay frosty my friends.
I think that is part of what we all remember from that back in the day pine bud. It was easy going (no paranoia) but still uplifting and energizing. My hunch is the terpenes played a role in the high due to the entourage effect, I also liked the freshness of the smoke. It literally kind of tasted like puffing xmas trees. Imagine capturing that with modern day tech like live rosin from fresh frozen or just some great full melt dry sift.

Another funny thing while on the topic. I have some dry sift I made (not from pine) and it smells great. Was cooking the other day and sprinkled some ginger powder in something and I was like, hey...that kind of smell like my hash puff cloud. Would not think to associate ginger with a weed taste but my mind made the association when I was cooking.

Radicle Rye

Well after growing out 4 female friesland m33 from kwik seeds I have to say that I'm not sure I found the pure pine that everyone is looking for. But with that said I have found some amazing pine with a hint of citrus in a couple along with a citrus chocolate profile. I had a friend remark that one tastes just like a pine cone. I do think pure pine s in the line somewhere just might take a couple packs. Very pine adjacent terps on a amazing plant. I real winner for northern growers! Hope this helps!

Last edited:

EastCoastGambit

Thank you RR. Seems like the friesland is popular for outdoor. I guess it would be equally good to grow indoor if that is one's preferred method.

I'm wondering what to try next? So far I have grown out the Skywalker OG, Romulan BX1, and have '79 X Mas bud in flower right now. They all have some pine but also have that citrus along with it. The '79 X Mas bud, to me, has smaller buds though I didn't put a lot of love into this grow so hard to say if its genetics. One plant is 2X as tall as the others which are both squat and slow growers. I'll post a pic in a minute.

I crossed Romulan with Skywalker and have 100's of seeds that can be grown out to look for more pure pine offspring. I am willing to share those beans if anyone on this thread is interested in testing them. They were both nice plants on their own so even if not pure pine its great smoke regardless.

I will re-read everyone's suggestions in this thread to see if I can locate more candidates. I almost feel like a pine heavy Sativa dominant strain could be worth exploring and also worth crossing with a well structured plant to shorten the flowering time and increase yield.

goingrey

I was looking into them. Not sure I have the headroom or best setup to take that on just yet. Mostly temperature regulation as I have a small tent at the moment and my basement is chilly in the winter.
They say it has good ("Average-High") cold resistance and there are many ways around the headroom issue. But the modest THC content (6%-12%) along with the long flowering time (13-14 weeks) might make it more interesting as a breeding tool, or I dunno. Has both alpha and beta pinene.