What's new

Looking for feedback on this idea to pay for ICMAG to stay here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sunnyside said:
I would pay good money to get this place back to where it was a few years ago...the nonsense posts and off topic threads are out of control these days.

I say less tolerance for bs non mj related threads and posts. That would significantly reduce bandwidth.

then have a members only forum...it will give the serious folks and oasis and would help with the bills.

If you buy $whatever$ in product with seedbay you get free membership? Or if you want to just pay you could do that too...

Just some ideas.

ideas sound great,

but wouldn't charges increase since there will be a whole new addition to the site with a members only section?

honestly, i wouldnt mind the seed deal at all. But I also think my idea should seriously be considered.

NOKUY

Veteran
i didnt read the whole thread xcept for the first cpl posts.

i'll obviously have my own opinion regardless what anyone else says.

that said....the seed idea is great, but risky to me.

i'd be willing to pay a nominal yearly fee provided some "executive privliges" (like posting youtube links out of line)...hehe...im playin.

but serious if there was a way to safely help i'd like to....this site is almost the only reason that i have the internet.

thanks gypsy

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
less bs...more moderation...

I'm not talking moderation like you think of the moderation that we have here. I'm talking more about auditors that go through old meaningless threads and tag them for deletion. Admin could have final say in what is to be actually removed, but the auditors could do alot of the leg work. There are alot of trusted folks that would contribute to that cause. I sure as shit would. lol

if it's not mj related its deleted.

That solves alot of issues.

A paid members only area would be an oasis from the noise. There would still be the same number of members and posts, no increase in traffic or bandwidth really. Just a reorganization of sub forums.

Those that can't afford to pay can still have access to all of the information that is available now...

Those that can contribute by either buying 'x' amount of dollars worth of seeds through sb/sb or if you don't by seeds you have to send in a membership fee.

I'm all for that...

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
Gypsy Nirvana said:
Hello to all you home hobby horticulturalists out there!

....For those that love ICMAG.COM and want to see it continue to GROW as the BEST growers forums on this here internet....

This has been a free site since day one.....and I would kinda like to keep it that way for a while so that all can share and learn from the information here-in.

1. The Problem:.....This site has grown expotentially over the last 4 years so the server/bandwidth bills have increased accordingly......To attempt a good, interesting and forward moving on-going upgrading of the site it is going to cost an arm and a leg thru a trusted webmaster.....

2. Other concerns:......Advertising revenue from those interested to advertise is not an easy way of raising funds to pay the server bills because many of those that wish to advertise on this site have links that go to website servers that are not in countries that we feel comfortable about linking our membership to due to obvious security concerns.....

....Now I have an idea...hmmmm...and I would like some feedback on the pro's and con's of it from anyone that can understand the situation and can comment sensibly on this idea....

<<<<<.....Do you think that it would be OK if we ask YOU (the membership) to support this site by donating seeds that we could then auction off as a sort of voluntary subscription to help pay the server bills?.......>>>>>>

If you can see the sense in this idea, what would be the best way to market it?

If you think the idea has no merit......then let me know why.....

......I am sure that there will be many replies perhaps for and against this concept........please keep it civil......

you have my support G, anytime!! I already have a few mothers i could use :D and sunny side i agree with you on two counts A) what you said above, B) your avie..kokua is cool as a cucumber! with that said i still would support Gypsy by sending him some crosses as ive done and will continue to do hes taken very good care of me and itd be rude to not return the flavour

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
RudolfTheRed said:
Get some new mods... and I would pay otherwise no way.

RTR, First you set stipulations on remaining a member and now you say you wouldnt pay. Make-up your mind.

Last edited:

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
Get some new mods? hmm hold a grudge much?? dayum. and i dont think hes asking for money(altho if i had it id give it) hes asking for seeds which id be more than willing to send in!! yo GN that nycd is almost ready 4 days dry so far!!!

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sunnyside said:
A paid members only area would be an oasis from the noise. There would still be the same number of members and posts, no increase in traffic or bandwidth really. Just a reorganization of sub forums.

Those that can't afford to pay can still have access to all of the information that is available now...

Those that can contribute by either buying 'x' amount of dollars worth of seeds through sb/sb or if you don't by seeds you have to send in a membership fee.

I'm all for that...

(after a little more thought on this comment...)

what content would be in the members only section? I think alot of the useful stuff is already out there in the public forum that is in place now....

i can see members only content being sweet only if it contained unique material unviewable anywhere else on the net. but in all actuality, how possible is that?

i think there should be 3 different donation options available, all of which can be displayed below users name. Here is an example

A) $10 would make you a "Silver Member" - Perks: Custom User Title in .gif format. 5 seeds included with this donation.

B) $20 would make you a "Gold Member" - Perks: -Custom User Title in .gif format. 10 Pack of donated seeds included with this donation.

C) this option would allow members to send in seeds and avoid paying cash as a membership fee, and you are more less helping overgrow. for example, every 10 seeds sent in would credit their account by the beans sent in. instead of being a Gold or Silver member, these users will be titled "Seed donor" or something of the sort. Also there should be a total donated seed count which is displayed near members name.

just something to ponder i guess?

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
example 1

example 1

29590lw.jpg

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I'm taking all of your suggestions into account and I thank you all for your kind indulgence on this matter......the truth is, is that we are going to have to do something soon/fast to be able to keep ICMAG here.....keep it interesting for all, progressive and of-course able to pay its way.......into the future....

.......Because of the sort of security we have to maintain on a site such as this we cannot easily take just anyone on to help with any upgrades/changes here......after past experiences trust is not something that I can easily give to someone I have not known for a very long time and has not proven their trust to me.....the last thing I would want to do would be to jeapordize the confidentiality that we maintain for all of our members........

Taking into account all of your suggestions....right now we are putting our heads together (Mods and Admins) and hope to come up with a cunning plan to help save the site as it is growing rapidly from any financial worries.....

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
or if i was a seed donor, something like this:

or if i was a seed donor, something like this:

29590lwdonor.jpg

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Let's do a show to save our home,ICMag. We can rent a barn and put on a talent show and sell tickets. It always worked for Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland.

Actually, lets get this show on the road. Special seedbay auction. Give us an addy and we can send seeds in. Tell us how to do it in PM so we can get them past US customs. No problem in GB, but US is a bitch even about sending. I have seeds ready and I'm sure that others do as well.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A non-compulsory subscription with added bonus title or photo size allocation would be a good idea to me.

Free for people to use the site as a resource, with money coming in from those who are more serious hobbyists/kind souls who want to support the site and contribute to it (both with money, time, advice and photos).

Alot of people could send in seeds to support the site and then there would be even more genetics for everyone to choose from if they wished to purchase them. Along with the support for this site and the increased availability of genes, and the diversification of the plant, we are also helping to overgrow the land. If you don't have seeds just available, then you can always make a few. And Dutch Passion has been selling other peoples work so I don't think D. Passion should mind all the same. Crosses would be optimal though in that respect to the real breeders and their lines.

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Slickster said:
The original seeds idea is the simplest and most effective one yet, memberships aside. Alot of us can send in our seeds to support this site however it sees fit, then there will be more genetics for everyone to choose from. Along with the support for this site and the increased availability of genes, the diversification of this plant we call cannabis can expand and will skyrocket. It is a critical step towards legalization, and it is history in the making that we all should feel free to participate in. So lets get out to our local hardware store and get some yard sale corrugated plastic sheeting, and start sending in them b-day card envelopes with seed donations to the bay asap. A vacuum sealer helps assure safe travels, and the envelope is not with your name on it or anything like prints or the such, so there is nothing to worry about and we can send in as many as we like. This magazine has brought so much to us, let us find ways to bring something back for it now and always. Overgrow was not just a website people visited, and IC is not just a website either, it is a movement for cannabis which is the path to legalization for a greater cause than oneself. Our seeds can fuel the fiery path to legalization on this planet in this lifetime, seeds that ultimately came from here in the first place. From medicinal users to recreational brethren, let us send in our extra seeds at this time for each other. As for keeping them pesky wascaly wabbits away, a membership fee is not completely out of order, but understand about it not being easy to trust someone to make site modifications for donation options even though there are alot of good ideas floating around. It is a 2 way street, and it is our turn to give back now so this site can get itself higher than ever. Together we can be stronger as a whole for each other, because even with all the other smaller cannabis forums that are seperated into smaller pieces combined, they will never add up to the home this place has been.

What about the people who don't have/make seeds? What should they do if they wish to contribute too? What about microgrowers who can only grow a plant at a time?

And then is there going to be any animosity from breeders? Just to clarify, I've grown a lot of Dutch Passion recently, are they going to be annoyed if I was to create seeds from their line and then send them into seedbay?

Just a couple of thoughts. :wave:

RED145

Pops said:
Red, I had close to 15,000 seeds(I think) but I sent out a bunch of testers. I would send more ,but then I would have to count them. Good thing I threw away about 12-15,00 that were immature. I didn't bother counting them.
Damn Pop's.......I wasnt knockin ya,I just got a chuckle over how precise you were on the counting!! :wave:

RED145

Dont take this the wrong way fella's,but I dont want beans from any of ya's!!

I am pretty selective in what I want and every mo and jo just sending in bags of seed they accidentely made isnt for me!
There are about 6 people on this whole site that I would want beans from other than the commercial guys......all you other beaners can keep em.

Just ask for the money Gypsy...how much are ya short?what do ya need?
with a number,Me and everyone else would gladly helpout......now whadda ya need? :rasta:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Red, since you just insulted all of us closet hack pollen chuckers, I think you should pay the whole bill for Gypsy!

RED145

LOL.....I didnt mean to offend,you know what I mean!!Fuck,I'm gettin stuck with the bill too!!Well OK but it's someone elses turn next month!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would donate whatever membership money is needed ... but Im with Red ... who is to say they arent just hermie bagseed being donated. I certainly wouldnt want to spend my time growing untested "unknown" seeds. I think if you open the gates to the masses there would be alot of inferior seeds turned loose on the world . AKA bagseed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.