What's new

Localhero's Outdoor cookout 2010

S

scarred4life

that hk looks sweet, localhero. A lot different from the crappy harborside hk that i've grown before, although the bluesky hkXsk#1 shows a lot of the hybrid vigor you've experienced.

localhero

that hk looks sweet, localhero. A lot different from the crappy harborside hk that i've grown before, although the bluesky hkXsk#1 shows a lot of the hybrid vigor you've experienced.

thanks bro

i was hessitant at first to grow out hk because it didnt have the omfgwtf tag on it. let me say i am really happy about getting those seeds. and she was very ressistant to pm while the rest of the herd fell. caterpillers did love to get nestled deep in her buds.

its hard to not get caught up in hype strains. im guilty of that. reading through seed descriptions is like ordering wine. no ones gonna tell you - hey some of these are gonna be lettuce and some of these are gonna be frosty bombness, good luck hope you have a good one. so far the best plants ive grown were not hype. in fact my favorite, the silver buddha was throw away free seed at a grow show. stuff ive thought were amazing in veg and flower then to go bankrupt after drying. my now lost forever killer gods gift plant was culled out of existence because of slow vegging clones. when the entire plant turned into bud in flower and came out of curing smelling and smoking like a rockstar. i shot myself in the foot for not even keeping atleast one little itsy bitsy clone around.

im learning what kenny once said is true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBCxcEkkXFo

knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep. cus every hands a winner, and every hands a loser.

P

planty

Hey LocalHero I added your thread to my subscribed threads list! Can't wait to see what you do this summer. Wish I could get you some of this grass fed beef...to die for.

Good start my man. Wish I had em out. Did you get your burlap roll from Home Depot? I need to wrap my smart pots..

P

planty

I love all your pics..but dude you're torturing your plant by holding it like that you should support the root mass all the time with your hand under the pot! Also that is a nice solid root ball. I have let them get much more packed with roots in smaller pots before :D You're just going to have a great start.

localhero

Right on Planty! good to have you around

they had a roll online hd that looked like what i had. the burlap to not get is the loose knit kind without the ends folded and sewn. there was a local fabric store going out of business and i got dragged in by the lady. came out with a 100yd roll of burlap for cheap. those root bound ladies are definitely stalled out somewhat. new growth though.

man id love to get some grass fed thick steaks down here.

cant wait to see that panda film side wall action.

D

DiiZZii3

Sick bro, im gunna be followin this one. Also just wonderin... what kinda dog is that in ur avatar, pit bull mix i wanna say???

localhero

welcome to the show

yep youd be right. pitbull crossed with french mastiff. got him way out in the dessert. dirt roads and cactus for miles. didnt realize it when i got him but found out theres a name for that mix called a swinford dog or bandogge.

this guy swinford wanted develop the perfect guard dog. pitbulls are muscly and have good stamina, but are too friendly towards strangers. mastiffs are imposing, great guard dogs but gas out too fast and have too many health issues - hip/displasia/bloat/short lifespan. so he combined the two and worked those lines to get what he wanted. a loyal, friendly to friends and fam, but ya know a knarly get the bastard never give up pitbull style property defender. highly recomended. i love this dog.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
wow man really nice write up and love the bit about making those pots! they're awesome! i'm hoping to get an outdoor guerilla set up going this coming spring and do a fair bit of breeding. mainly just wanting to breed up seeds of the strains i already have so then i can do some large numbers breeding in the future for specific lineages/strains before crossing etc. anyway can't wait to see more mate!

darwin

localhero

short update/catch-up

the soil mix im using was concocted by mixing several different recipes found on icmag.

the nute mix is Tom Hills along with his gypsum, although not as much gypsum as his. wish i used more but long story short the place that mixed up my ingredients didnt put in as much as i thought i had.

my indoor soil mix has always been LC's out of the organic forum and fed with teas also derived and based on burn1 's thread. so the LC mix for my outdoor is the loosely scripted base of the guts of my od soil mix.

the third influence on this mix comes from a once stickied thread championed by this guy named secondtry. his studies on taking his own mix to a new level influenced me greatly. hes a good guy but didnt like arguments that couldnt be backed up with science or studies so he bailed. it seemed alot of what he talked about was too new for alot of peeps. too bad cus he could have been a strong influence for cutting edge (to me anyway lots of people here probably wouldnt call it that) experimental soil design.

onwards.

i would have used Toms mix entirely had i had the dosh. i dont right now so i figured it was a good time to improvise on a sub for the black gold base of his design. I learned alot about aged pine bark fines in the secondtry thread and thought, wow something way better than peat and is a by product of the lumber industry, better for the environ right?

well, the problem with apbf is that in order for it to be better than peat it has to be screened down and above a certain size. below 2mm and you will suffocate your roots. above 3/8ths of an inch and you wont be retaining water. then theres the beast of a job sourcing it in that perfect size range. most nursury suppliers only have 3/8ths to zero. zero is bad and zero makes up the majority of that mix, ive screened samples. i found a place up on the border of oregon called shasta forrest products that did have a viable particle size of roughly 1/4" butttttttt they only deliver in 140 yard trucks. found a place online that had 1/4" particles used in the orchid industry called orchid bark, but damn that shits expensive. so here i am too small to be big and too big to be small where it would be viable to hand screen what i need. also, apbf needs to be presoaked in fish emulsion to help fix nitrogen and needs plenty of surfacant to keep it from being hydrophobic.

solution, dump the bark for the most part, theres some quality mixes using mostly peat and 15% bark so thats what i went with.

Ive been fairly unhappy with alot of worm castings commercially available. alot have added kelp and are mostly sand or bulshit. i am already adding kelp in my teas and in my soil so i dont need the added hassle of trying to accomodate and adjust. besides how illogical is it to bag up a bunch of sand and dirt looking stuff in with your worm castings? that makes it very hard for someone to really know how much pure worm shit is in there. i feel like one day ill get a good source of worm castings and ill od.

the lc mix i used was comprised of worm castings opposed to compost. because of this learned issue with using wormcasting solely and that it seemed to really really compact my soil (too much dirt). i decided to switch up to compost and only a very small amount of wormcastings. much props by the way to roots organic and their worm castings. ive recently switched to their product for this outdoor soil.

pumice. according to secondtry, who hated hated hated perlite, pumice was a much better substitute. hey i use perlite and perlite worked for me. only real issue i have with perlite is that it floats to the top eventually and if its up top then whats goin on below? with an all apbf base, you dont need either perlite or pumice to get yourself to an ideal air porosity. i didnt have that so i went with pumice.

compost. there are a ton of different types of compost out there. for this i went with whats called a humous compost which looks black. buyer beware when youre at these large nursery suppliers, they have expensive composts there and not all that glitters is gold. one place had this "elite" compost that wasnt being aerated, just sitting in a massive pile. i smelled it and it reeked of ammonia. im no expert but from what ive read that means alot of the nitrogen is locked up in a bad source, ammonia. meaning it isnt composted long enough or has gone off. maybe im wrong, correct me if i am.

horticultural bio char. used as a semi perlite sub and as a future home of micro life. lots of studies on terra preta, look it up good stuff.

the additions. azomite, micronutrients. zeolite. weird stuff zeolite. first off not all zeolite is created equally. you want the stuff used in the horticultural ind. i would think that if the zeolite you find is only used for filtering that there could be a possibility that it has too much sodium content, or something like that. im no expert here and if there is someone out there who can elaborate go for it. i saw the spec sheet of the mine i got mine from directly. supposedely the purest zeolite mine in the u.s. with 97 or something percent purity. some zeolite is sold as such with as low a content as 60%. from my understanding, zeolite traps water and nutrients making those nutrients available to the plant as it needs it. supposedely making it harder to burn or over fert your plants. i saw a study where when it was applied to fields that those fields used up one third of the ferts applied, grew as good if not better and made that same land useable 2 more times without having to reapple ferts. the amount of zeolite i used will not be included here until its tested and i can say hey - rad rock with it. if someone is interested in the mine i got it from, hit me up cus damn they are waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than trying to buy up 50lb bags.

i threw in a bunch of micorhizzae from peaceful valley where i got most of my other nutes along with a big bag of humates.

and thats the mix. roughly:

35% peat
15% bark
22% compost
3% wormcastings
5% bio char
20% pumice
calcidic lime
dolomitic lime
gypsum

im not reccomending anyone go and copy this mix. really its untested. i could screw it all up somewhere and im sure ill make adjustments after this season. in fact its a bitch to get the liming right. theres alot of crap goin into the mix all with varrying ph levels. the guideline is 3 to 10 lbs per yard. well thats a big big margin right. i can tell everyone right now that i over limed, atleast it looks that way on pour through tests. im goin to be phing my water to try and make up for that. hopefully the over liming will have made up for the lack of appropriate gypsum in the way of calcidic lime adding more calcium.

alright thats out of the way, back to trimming.

Big Foot

Your going to have a huge harvest come fall... I really like how well you have everything planned and organized. Good luck man.

nomaad

Veteran
Hey man... great thread. Not sure how I missed it.

You're off to a rockin start, brother. Glad to have you around. You are making a great contribution to ICM.

Now that I am subscribed, I'll be checking in regularly.

localhero

awesome Nomaad!

its great to have you checkin in. im just hoping i can keep up with you guys. what you were able to accomplish your first season was definitely inspiring.

nomaad

Veteran
It brings me joy to have inspired the kind of garden you are growing. A tight operation in a commonly available spot. Granted, my backyard is a bit bigger, but what you are going to accomplish in yours is going to be sick.

i know you have posted it here and elsewhere, but could you indulge my laziness and run down your spacing, pot size and strain list for me?

localhero

sure no problem,

those pots are 3 1/2' diameter and 20 " high. theyre filled up to around the 18" mark. that makes them aproximately 107 gallons. some are larger than 3 1/2' and some i dug down below from 6 inches to 10. so calculating that makes them range between 107 and 150 gallons. for pots that werent dug down, i pickaxed the topsoil and turned it.

the spacing ranges between 6' and 8' on center. areas that i know will get the most sun are on 8'.

quick note on strain selection. my new goal in what id like to line my corral with is based on: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. thats the new direction im gonna use as a goal. this is not easy in socal when you dont have connections. i avoid mass sold cuts like those oaksterdamn clones that were in like every damn club. i try (try) to get cuts that i have seen the finished product of. and i try to get cuts from clubs that are local and mom and pop.

im done experimenting with cuts that havent been flowered out. that effort has crapped all over me lol. there are some places in so cal that get seeds and then grow those seeds, sex them and clone the females without knowing ever what pheno theyll be or what. what was i thinking? its just hard to resist sometimes when u find a strain that is obscure/rare to leave it be.

the strains:

og, not og kush and not the sfv. this strain came from a club and i supposedely saw the flowers off it when i got it. if i could have tested it first i would have. its just so damn hard to get legit cuts out of the clubs down here and ive been searching for a long time to find legit og's.

Silver buddha. this is my girl. the legend. haha. i got 30 seeds from a grow show like 2 or so years ago. no one wanted their freebee thai x ssh seeds so i nabbed as many as i could. like wow a thai cross and no one got how cool that was. well out of all those seeds only 1 popped. lucked out that it was female. super frosty, trich loaded. looks almost land race. she really turned golden after a long cure from outdoor last year so i dunno what will happen this time trying to do this the right way. indoor looks awesome. love this smoke the best.

hindu kush. the sole keeper out of 10 seeds. proved herself to be very mold resistant while her sisters succumbed one by one to the harsh treatment i subjected them to last summer.

banana kush this came through from one of my favorite clubs. met the guy by chance when he was making a drop. seen the flowers. fast growing and fat leaved (when i dont accidentally bonsai them under hps veg)

bullrider og also from the same club as above. different grower. these came to me looking very ass. his veg room got overran and these were getting underlit. i never see this strain outside of sd and am excited to see what it does. this guy never ever lets his cuts go so i nabbed em up and hopefully can do him justice.

other cuts that wont see outdoor are: chem 91 (bullrider guy) og(bullrider guy) pineapple dogshit.

nomaad

Veteran
Thanks. I'm not familiar with anything you are growing... The Silver Buddha sounds really nice.

As I mentioned elsewhere, my biggest worry is winding up with one big hedge rather than fully rounded plants.

I am amazed that there is no place for you to go in socal that is known for verified cuts and general integrity. Sounds like a club with such inventory and rep could do very well.

localhero

ha i know right. when i tell my buddy up there what im growin hes always baffled. you can get bubbas and the more known strains here . but try and find a legit bubba lol.

i think it has to do with the difference in grow styles. out here its overran with hydro. my style of growing is treeeees. something that performs awesome in hydro, with short plants and hardly any veg isnt so ideal for me. i want shit that explodes in veg, is nearly unmanageable in how wild it grows.

theres alot to say about the importance of localized genetics. i think thats one of the reasons my seed starts out perform most of the clones ive gotten.

im sure there must be a completely legit spot i just havent found it. even some more legit spots here get duped. ask me how i went through 20 clones of "fire og". once was a stupid chance i took at a cl clone dealer, that was bogus. second time i was refunded and warned as soon as the club found out the fire og they had was really a crappy cut of trainwreck.

on the reverse side, i rarely see nor cal cuts like you guys are running down here in the clubs. either they dont all make it here or get renamed or both. ive heard stories that i wont even bring up. i can tell u its a bitch vending at spots in the valley and hollywood without an og attached to the name. billions of og titles everywhere man.

Seed55

Great thread localhero!

Very inspiring stuff...I'm particularly interested in your use of biochar with the soil mix. I know it's a relatively small percentage of your entire soil mix but I hope you will see some good results with it, if not from this harvest then from subsequent ones in the future. I'm starting grad school in the fall for soil science and my concentration will be on biochar and sustainable farming, but in my second life I'm on icmag everyday preparing for the day when I might be able to have my own outdoor grow. It's very encouraging to see people implementing biochar into cannabis cultivation! I hope that this practice becomes more common, seeing as studying the relationship between cannabis and biochar is not a realistic thesis lol.

localhero

Great thread localhero!

Very inspiring stuff...I'm particularly interested in your use of biochar with the soil mix. I know it's a relatively small percentage of your entire soil mix but I hope you will see some good results with it, if not from this harvest then from subsequent ones in the future. I'm starting grad school in the fall for soil science and my concentration will be on biochar and sustainable farming, but in my second life I'm on icmag everyday preparing for the day when I might be able to have my own outdoor grow. It's very encouraging to see people implementing biochar into cannabis cultivation! I hope that this practice becomes more common, seeing as studying the relationship between cannabis and biochar is not a realistic thesis lol.

thats great to have you on here and watching seed55. i love it when professional people pushing and utilizing sustainable methods get involved with mj. also whos to say it isnt a realistic thesis? its the largest cash crop in the states if im not correct. with many new states adopting med mj i think the importance of sustainability in a feild dominated by chemical ferts is epic. that would make a fantastic thesis.

localhero

Great news everyone! (professors voice from futurama)

I found out a nug of my first indoor batch of the silver buddha made it online. woohoo.

some pro photographer took this from one of the spots i vend at. i dont know where they got the laughing part from. and i dont know why it looks so white but hey im on a magazine online or something like that. cool.
picture.php