What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
I've got a couple pounds of dehydrated water in my survival kit, I dehydrated a bunch of ice cubes, so I've got lots of little blocks of it.

T

Toes.

picture.php

this brandywine heirloom seedling from SoC seeds is my guinea pig for my new organic living soil recipe.

I was in my leaf litter compost the other day, getting some sifted material for mulch/top dressing. And, it looked so good, I didn't stop with the 1/2 gallon or so I needed for mulch... I sifted about 4 gallons of leaf litter compost. to that I added about 4 gallons of my worm bin material (worm castings in Canadian sphagnum), about 2 gallons of perlite, approx. 1 C per gallon of soft rock phosphate, jersey greensand, bonemeal, peruvian sbg, kelp meal, and some hand harvested ICW beach sand.

I purchased the green sand and rock phosphate in bulk two years ago and I'm still running through them until they are gone. I've got a lead on a source of granite dust though... the guy cuts granite head stones.

I'm going to wait and see how this tomato does for the next 75-90 days... we have plenty of time here before the first frost to get at least one tomato off this plant.

If all goes well I will start using my leaf litter compost instead of store bought composted bark for my soil mixes... and maybe replace the perlite with some lava rock too. It's a work in progress...:tiphat:

Am I missing anything?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
GS is working with me to get the water business off the ground. We're packing up 25 & 50 gallon units for the first rush of orders.

We'll supply the dried water and the end user just adds H2O!

Available at AcuteAngina.com - you bring the tooters.....

T

Toes.

looks yummy toes.

try crushed lava rock sometime. I'm really digging it in my soil (wordplay!).
TYVM sir.

lava rock stays in place pretty good huh? It hasn't caught my eye anywhere yet... as far as a retailer is concerned. really haven't given it my full court press yet either, since there's plenty of the other stuff still in my shed.

perlite is really getting to be a pita to work with... I don't know if it's always been like this, or if the power of suggestion has made me think ill of the stuff... it really does go everywhere. and it seems like I get less and less of the nice, usable chunks and more and moreduffy powder (that soon becomes airborne) as the bags dwindle. I'm ready for something more awesome no doubt.

?donde este Los Gasolina?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
toes- most towns have a stone and rock supply store. mostly for landscapers and contractors, i'd guess, but i walked in there and they were happy to sell me 7 bags of crushed lava rock.

they had red and black, and they had two sizes even! i got the black 3/8" version.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
i am using LECA as an alternative to perlite, crushed bits of hydroclay about the same grade as chunky perlite, it doesnt reduce from friction and can be reclaimed from your soil mix by floating it out. wont be be buying perlite again... if you interested i can dig up a link!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
i am using LECA as an alternative to perlite, crushed bits of hydroclay about the same grade as chunky perlite, it doesnt reduce from friction and can be reclaimed from your soil mix by floating it out. wont be be buying perlite again... if you interested i can dig up a link!
Moses

Post it up!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
seedling. i just couldn't help myself in late july :D
heady

Legitimate question: I had a cutting from a cross (TO x NL#5) and the structure was 'picture perfect' - heavy foliage, tight internodes, blah, blah, blah.....

By Day 35 I could not get any smell from rubbing the stalk or even rubbing immediately under the flower sets. This cutting was directly from the seed plant and it too was 'picture perfect' from the day that I received it.

On Day 36 this plant was taken down for composting.

Your thoughts?

CC

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
heady

Legitimate question: I had a cutting from a cross (TO x NL#5) and the structure was 'picture perfect' - heavy foliage, tight internodes, blah, blah, blah.....

By Day 35 I could not get any smell from rubbing the stalk or even rubbing immediately under the flower sets. This cutting was directly from the seed plant and it too was 'picture perfect' from the day that I received it.

Your thoughts?

CC

i've done the same thing myself coot.

this last round in my cabinet began with four healthy red ghani females, all structurally satisfactory with healthy growth and whatnot. two of the plants were providing really intriguing fragrances on the stem rub, while the other two were bland, boring, blah.

after a couple weeks of waiting to see if they'd do something to excite me, i decided to mulch them. i would rather give the space to the more promising plant.

i suppose if i wasn't so crunched for space, i could be more lenient, but seeing that i tend to hash all my buds that don't have an interesting effect on the palate, i'd rather grow herb i that i want to smoke.

BTW---the two red ghani's i took to harvest are delicious :joint:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
This is where i got the idea of using LECA instead of perlite:http://www.shroomery.org/48/Using-other-materials-instead-of-perlite-Hydroton-Geolite

there is so much info on it that a google search is a nightmare a case of too much information. basically you need to contact your hydro store and tell them you want Leca perlite replacement they should be able to organise it certainly in the states and europe. i will post pics of the stuff i use alongside perlite tomorrow.

DARC MIND

Veteran
interesting mr coot
personally
i dont put aromatic qualitites to high in importants of selection.id only kull a non fragrant specimens unless im specifically trying to harness those traits.
(blues,roadkill,cherry & so on,toucan sam it is )
in all honesty,most of the really super kick ass sats from my day smelt of hay,grass,wood,floral to very complex spices,musky & so on.

some strains,even pheno's flower alot later then others,early to late swelling of buds,resin,smell etc so for persevering sakes,i tend to fully observe "new" strains,im not familiar with from start to finish so i can get a better feel for common characteristics of desired traits(not all the smelly ones are the dankest of the lot!)...

Seandawg

heady

Your thoughts?

CC

Honestly smell is not always a big deal to me. But i have thrown plants into the compost bin for less of a reason lol

shmalphy

Veteran
FWIW, I have 4 strains going currently and the one that smells strongest in veg is my least favorite of all of them smell/taste wise in the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.