What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol dude....do you know how many humans probably died from eating toxic mushrooms? it was a trial and error process for thousands of years...it doesn't have to be that way anymore! why risk it...?

I would never tell a friend to just eat a mushroom if he didn't know what it was...you gotta be real careful about these things. have some more respect for the fungi....they are more powerful than you might think. can't just eat them at will...

i was kidding no doubt. but here is somebody on the forefront of self experimentation.

http://www.vice.com/Fringes/venom-superman

that guy is my cousin. he is basically the most bad-ass person attached to my blood line and he doesn't give a fuck if somebody tells him not to do something because it 'might be dangerous'.

“I was born a Snake Handler, and I’ll die a Snake Handler.”
- Moe Szyslak

DDG

D

Durdy

I had some LBM show up in one of my outdoor 100 gals about 2 years ago. Surprising considering the methods I was gardening with at the time.

They were not consumed

picture.php

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
It is becoming common to have several types of mushrooms fruiting from living soil that supports cannabis growth. I have had it happen a few times now. I would just consider these guys decomposers and let them cycle through. It would be interesting to introduce other types of spore that wouldn't compete with what we are trying to do here...which is grow cannabis. Like you know...some native type of active mushroom.
Gas

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Rain Forest Mushroom Co. is located about half-way between Corvallis and the Oregon Coast in the Coast Range. They offer organically grown Maitake mushrooms, Shiitake mushrooms, various kinds of Oyster mushrooms, Buttercap mushrooms, Scallop Mushrooms, Lion's Mane mushrooms fresh & some dried versions.

They have 3 gallon bags of culls (cosmetic issues) for a few dollars at a wholesale produce company in Portland. Is there any value as far as composting or is there some other way of using them besides eating?

Just curious...

CC

W89

Veteran
chuckles, most sarcastic thread on the site.

Sure is mate haha :p

i was kidding no doubt. but here is somebody on the forefront of self experimentation.

http://www.vice.com/Fringes/venom-superman

that guy is my cousin. he is basically the most bad-ass person attached to my blood line and he doesn't give a fuck if somebody tells him not to do something because it 'might be dangerous'.

“I was born a Snake Handler, and I’ll die a Snake Handler.”
- Moe Szyslak

DDG

I used to keep snakes, non poisonous but I was going to apply for my dangerous wild animal license to get a baby caiman, but my mum fell pregnant with my sister and she didnt want me to have a baby croc around lol

@Durdy, Cool pics mate! hope your cool man :)

D

Durdy

Thanks

It'd be interesting if one could use mushrooms as a living mulch

Even more interesting if one could then eat said mushrooms!

haha my stoner ass, always thinking about food.

W89

Veteran
I'd try em! but I have stuffed my body with all sorts of shit so a mushroom wouldnt bother me LOL

B

BlueJayWay

Blue Jay

Are you growing Comfrey?

Cootz, I haven't been able to use my own comfrey yet - under the snow I have two areas rooted with comfrey, eagerly awaiting spring which comes in June around here.

I've been doing my part in supporting mountain rose herbs though! I have big bags of comfrey, yarrow and nettle - lately I've been mulching with a handful of each and usually a layer of cannabis mulch on top of that - and a sprinkle of clover seed around the perimeter.

I did a plant last run with a thick layer of comfrey as mulch, and something wonderful happened to the topsoil by the end of that cycle - looking to increase the use of comfrey in that respect!

D

Durdy

I really need to get some comfrey in the mix. I just came across a big ol plant in a local community garden, time to take some root cuttings!

W89

Veteran
ive been collecting all the comfrey I can and drying it and storing as powder lot less space taken up then....

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I did a plant last run with a thick layer of comfrey as mulch, and something wonderful happened to the topsoil by the end of that cycle - looking to increase the use of comfrey in that respect!
Yeah - that one!

If you cut the leaves into ribbons then you could mix that with your other mulch materials to achieve a great benefit not the least of which is insect and disease suppression

Source: Comfrey: Past, Present & Future - Lawrence D. Hills who developed the Bocking Series

CC

B

BlueJayWay

Sweet, thanks coot! Thanks for confirming my observations as a good thing.

Lets see if they have a digital copy of that book.

I like how they let you download a sample of the book, and it keeps it in your library, an excellent reminder for me on books I'd like to get but not ready to read or fork over the cash yet.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Isn't it amazing how fast the leaves breakdown with no effort required on your part - a matter of a few days. Cover the leaves with a bit of compost and it's really quick!

W89

Veteran
#Im gonna be potting up some seedling tomorrow. will mix my cocoa shells with comfrey for mulch this time thanks for the idea :)

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Comfrey definitely lives up to the claims and its history as a soil builder. One of the richest sources of Potassium that you can use - almost 2.7x that of brown kelp meal

And then there's the Nitrogen levels...

W89

Veteran
in the chemist they have a bottle of comfrey gel next to the aloe... I think ts for skin or something like that has it got skin repairing properties?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
W89

Comfrey harvesting as a medical plant goes back several centuries. One of its names is knitbone for the properties to help bone knit and repair after a break.

Other uses include these:

Healing wounds (I can vouch for this one)
Skin conditions
Insect bites
Bedsores
Bunions
Nosebleeds
Sunburn
Rheumatism & Arthritis (I can vouch for this one)
Sprains, torn ligaments & bruises (I can vouch for this one)

General skin conditions which is probably the intended use for the product that you saw in the shop.

Stinging nettles first uses were primarily medicinal and then livestock fodder dating back to the Roman Empire. Comfrey was and still is an important feedstock for horses, cattle, poultry and hogs in many parts of Europe and Australia.

That's why the sterile Bocking 14 was so important because you can control where it grows vs. wild comfrey which is very invasive. Some countries ban the importing of seeds. It's a mess just like f*cking Borage - VOE

CC

V

vonforne

That's why the sterile Bocking 14 was so important because you can control where it grows vs. wild comfrey which is very invasive. Some countries ban the importing of seeds. It's a mess just like f*cking Borage - VOE

I have seeds from the evasive type this year Coot. Any suggestions on how to contain it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts