What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueJayWay

Curious as to how much your water requirements increased when you started growing clover in your pots?

No direct affect noticed. Overall I water much less in no till containers with mulch and living mulch - and an established living soil mix that, for me, is two years in the making and getting better all the time.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the times i have transplanted a comfrey; i have just done it like rhubarb ~stick a shovel down into the crown and take away a portion {roots leaves etc} to immediately transplant elsewhere {back fill the void from taking it}

W89

Veteran
I just added a handfull of powdered comfrey to my enzyme tea will let if bubble for another couple of hours then use it.. a little boost in flower :)

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Comfrey is great around fruit trees too. A ring of stones for mulch and a ring of comfrey outside that will keep the grass at bay and allow the tree to flourish.

Same deal with fence lines. Nothing is worse (for me) than couch grass infested fences and tree roots! Some chickens also eat comfrey but not mine...

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the dumb thing is i m nursing a slip of it wondering whether it will make it {gonna have to buy some} trans'd that 1 spring before last, figured it would go good this last year -and it did do better than the 1st but by fall; not so sure ~dried up pretty good

still gonna coax it along but figure i better get more than this 1 weak ass root cutting going

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Comfrey is great around fruit trees too. A ring of stones for mulch and a ring of comfrey outside that will keep the grass at bay and allow the tree to flourish.

Same deal with fence lines. Nothing is worse (for me) than couch grass infested fences and tree roots! Some chickens also eat comfrey but not mine...
SS OG

That's the kind of uses that you find on English gardening boards where comfrey is widely used by gardeners and farmers.

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
the times i have transplanted a comfrey; i have just done it like rhubarb ~stick a shovel down into the crown and take away a portion {roots leaves etc} to immediately transplant elsewhere {back fill the void from taking it}
Exactly!

Try this one as well - cut about 12" of a branch with flowers on the end, stick that into the soil about 3" deep - that's it! New comfrey plant.

You can even bury the entire branch (horizontally) and you'll get 3 or 4 'starts' popping up in a straight line - pretty amazing plant.

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Smaller flower phenotype TO x BMR Bx1...still as frosty as all of them.

picture.php

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Gascan

Do you have any photos of BMR in flower?

Thanks! Nice photo as usual...

CC

The 'large' phenotype..more sativa dominant,more hay,long flowering time..this one went 80 days~

picture.php

picture.php

The smaller,shorter,faster finishing more indica phenotype,better flavor,effect,taste...

picture.php

picture.php

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Exactly!

Try this one as well - cut about 12" of a branch with flowers on the end, stick that into the soil about 3" deep - that's it! New comfrey plant.

You can even bury the entire branch (horizontally) and you'll get 3 or 4 'starts' popping up in a straight line - pretty amazing plant.

CC

Yes it likes to flop over and conquer new territory eh? But i didnt realise it rooted quite so easily. That is excellent! I have the stone rings around my trees but only a few have with the comfrey so far. Parsley also works well here and has lush growth before the comfrey starts back up in spring. :D

Today or tomorrow going to put rainbow chard seeds around the inside of the stone ring/fence and comfrey on the outside circle. The fence was to keep my pig off the trees but will work now against possums!

:smoweed:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Large white/Saddleback mum crossed with a black boar but i forget the breed.

That was her 6 months ago or so. Before the stone rings...she's a bit bigger now and some of my trees are a lot smaller... but not all.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah i need to move her soon. Shes the best tractor. She even makes mulch for me out of all the grass and weeds she digs up. :D

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Shes the best tractor

Hogs can really get your fields ready in short order - plant sugar beets or about any other root vegetable and let them loose for several weeks. Their hoofs take care of business very well!

O

Old_Headbanger

1 part peat
1part vermiculite
1 part composted manure

This was the standard around here when my grandparents had their hot houses up and running way back. I always remember that because it was written on the back of one of the greenhouse doors. Sounds like they weren't too far off, eh?

There was always a few different compost piles around, leaf piles etc...always knew the value of good compost. The greenhouses are all gone, but the compost piles and outdoor gardens are still going, all based on these simple gardening methods.

Thanks for a great thread and spreading these simplistic, yet highly effective gardening principles. IMHO, the way we're supposed to do it.

\m/ ohb

Scrappy4

Veteran
1 part peat
1part vermiculite
1 part composted manure

This was the standard around here when my grandparents had their hot houses up and running way back. I always remember that because it was written on the back of one of the greenhouse doors. Sounds like they weren't too far off, eh?

There was always a few different compost piles around, leaf piles etc...always knew the value of good compost. The greenhouses are all gone, but the compost piles and outdoor gardens are still going, all based on these simple gardening methods.

Thanks for a great thread and spreading these simplistic, yet highly effective gardening principles. IMHO, the way we're supposed to do it.

\m/ ohb

Very nice first post headbanger, and welcome!

Your post reminds me of one of my grandfathers. He kept worms for fishing in a cement box he made. He fed them scraps from the garden and a couple times a year he took out "extra dirt" from the worm box, and he put it in his garden. It's taken me many years to realize and appreciate what that has been right in front of me for many years. Maybe proof I'm a slow learner.....scrappy

Status
Not open for further replies.