Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

W89

Veteran
you said 0.25 gram per gal right cootz?

that works out at 0.06 gram per liter

0.25 devided by 3.75 = 0.06

im glad I bought the powder stuff now instead of the gel gos a long way 1 liter i enough for my 8 seedlings to water in these little pots will re-pot at the weekend into 6ltr fabric pots then flower them out a week later

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
i threw some aloe juice, coconut water and silicates in my ez cloner with tap water(hard where i live), took some cuttings and they look great. not sure if I should be worried about the sugars from the aloe/coconut in a closed reservoir for extended periods of time but the water is getting turned over pretty well so I'm gonna roll with it. The cut tissue on the stems looks to be callousing up nicely out the gate so I'm hopeful
Mia

You'll do well with that set-up. Not only the rate that they root but the actual number of root sites along the shaft. That's the amazing part when using Aloe vera and coconut water.

CC

W89

Veteran
How does the Potsil and Pro-TeKt compare as far as the price per application?

POTSIL Bottle 0.5 ltr cost me £7.50 inc del

dilutions 3.5ml per 10 liters for soil treatment and foliar

The Protekt was a free sample Dyna gro sent me from USA with Neem oil.. the small bottles... it cost them $24.95 to send them lol price was on the parcel

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
you said 0.25 gram per gal right cootz?

that works out at 0.06 gram per liter

0.25 devided by 3.75 = 0.06

im glad I bought the powder stuff now instead of the gel gos a long way 1 liter i enough for my 8 seedlings to water in these little pots will re-pot at the weekend into 6ltr fabric pots then flower them out a week later
Only mix what you need because once you hydrate this powder you're back to square one as if you were using fresh aloe vera leaves - Benzoic acid begins to ferment which is why preservatives (fungicides) are added to the liquid products - usually salt = giving you Sodium Benzoate.

Don't try and store the aloe vera liquid - it will get you into trouble and quickly.

CC

Last edited:
Y

YosemiteSam

Neo 420

Now you understand the results you see when you clone a cutting with coconut water (in particular) because it also brings massive levels of Indole-3-acetic-acid (IAA) as well as 22+ enzymes that facilitate cell division = root development.

Without degradation of the cutting itself. No yellow leaves and the usual set-backs. This carries over when you transplant that cutting - using a kelp meal tea in conjunction with a cytokinin source you will not have 'transplant shock' but rather the cutting will begin to grow in a day or two. Very little lag-time if any.

Find that one in a bottle......

You have obviously forgotten Super Thrive :woohoo:

W89

Veteran
I just weighed the Aloe powder and I got 10.43 grams so just under half a gram extra that's another 7 liters of mix I got for free lol

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
And Vitamin B-1!

That canard is still passed around gardening boards - just amazing
The many studies done on this subject are dumbfounding...I've read so much conflicting information and seen little actual proof from using any Vitamin B product....

Fuck yea...that is a special looking plant...it made me eyes high just looking at it.

She smoked very nice...ended up being a loose flower...not larfy,just more a smokers flower.

W89

Veteran
Hows it going VG mate?

My mum has some bamboos in the garden, should use this when I make some bio char then?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tbh this was the only biochar i could find when i looked. not sure why bamboo is so special for char...

ickyweed

Learning alot... I have read to page 47 of this thread so far and I have questions. The reason I have not started a worm bin yet is because I have not had the time to get supplies and put them together. I do however have a colony of Blaptica Dubia that I have raised for over 3 years for my reptiles since roaches are far superior in nutrition. I usualy cleanit out every 6 mo or so an usualy just throw it in the trash.

My first question: I tried to look up info on insect frass (solid waste from insects) and soil amendments, and found only a couple of hydro store videos. Wondering if anyone intelligent has used frass at all and if it is any good?

My second question is if it's not bad can I just start my worm bin in the same container? Its in a 100 q. sterilite container and the roaches get fed only fresh fruits and veggies. Can I add a couple inches of peat/native soil then add my worms?

My thinking is that worms will eat animal manure and rotting scraps; both are supplied by my colony since they can not eat everything i give them. The thinking in my head is that you want a diverse and complete soil and maybe frass has something worms dont. I know the main reason for worm casting is not the nutrition but microbes and I'm thinking frass is the same??? I will send in some of my frass to get it analyzed at CSU first anyways before i topdress the girls.

Let me know whatcha you think...

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Insect frass..

Probably high in chitin,nitrogen,phosphorus,minerals. I'd consider it after a bit of research with actual botanical applications....if any are to be found.

Last edited:

W89

Veteran
I wouldnt have the worms and roaches together in the same container.. but thats just me

W89

Veteran
I just foliar fed the aloe/silica to my veg plants sprayed till drooping... my flowering plants I sprayed everything under the canopy, so the bottoms of the leaves and the leaves and stems under the top few inches... I took off every branch that came from the nodes that where under the canopy Ijust kept the top 3 or 4 from the top so to focus all energy to the top buds which will get all the light, I kept all fan leaves on just took the shoots I will let the plant decide whether or not it wants them, even tho they wont get much light they still have a use and untill they dont she will keep them..

I used 0.06 grams of aloe and 0.35ml of potsil to a liter... great thing about growing organic and sourcing proper ingredients things become so much cheaper! I would hate to think how much money I have spent on chemical nutrients

i know they sell insect frass for absolute rapery prices. if you got it for free then use it and let us know what how it works.
i wouldn't pay for it though. the stuff that is available where i am is called Better World Plant Food by primenutrients.ca

i think their frass is from beetles...but roaches are probably good at making shit too. i wouldn't chuck it out without experimenting with it.

DDG

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i can say i use{d} insect frass ~we kept crickets {for a couple geckos} and used the cleanout from the crickets in the compost {along w cleanout from the geckos}

nothing to really quantify but no problems

right now there are a couple dead praying mantids carcass in one of my aloe planters ~i make no effort to avoid insect carcass/manure & will make some effort to get it tossed into compost or a soil mix {but it tends to be a very minimal input}

ickyweed

Since my colony produces maybe an inch every 6 mo im thinking of trying it as a tea so i can use it several times.

Also I just took a couple puffers of some Triangle and just remembered.......

Last summer I removed a colony of Blatta lateralis because for the life of me I could not keep these climbers in their tub. Hence the reason I only have Dubia's now. So I left the open tub outside because I was too lazy to clean it out and the tub filled about half way up with rain water (live in a desert, little rain). I forgot about if for a month and when I found it, swimming throughout it, thousands upon thousands of what looked like some kind of swamp larvae activly moving ( wish I had a video of it and microscope so i knew just what it was out of curiosity), I dumped it not knowing if it was mosquito larvae since we have W. Nile virus . If my frass and some rain water can spawn that vigorous of insect life it should do great as a microbe tea, right?

i can say i use{d} insect frass ~we kept crickets {for a couple geckos} and used the cleanout from the crickets in the compost {along w cleanout from the geckos}

nothing to really quantify but no problems

right now there are a couple dead praying mantids carcass in one of my aloe planters ~i make no effort to avoid insect carcass/manure & will make some effort to get it tossed into compost or a soil mix {but it tends to be a very minimal input}

you don't do this with your mantis corpses? these were pets of mine. i set them up in battle scenes...

Status
Not open for further replies.