What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bajangreen

I was wondering how you guys are on water usage, do you water till run off or do you just keep the soil damp?

Reason i asked is because the water runoff would most likely be taking away nutrients/other goodies with it that we worked hard to put there in the first place. Or is a slight soil purging a good thing?

I got some soil in an aquaponic system that has been watering with the same water for 2 years, only additional water is from rain, its doing OK. growing parsley not weed though.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
It is common practice to NOT spray flowers w/anything that burns the stigma past a week or two in the flowering cycle (type depending) for the reason stated.....roll on over and ask ol Chimera,or any other professional experienced grower if this works out for them.
Vortex buddy ol pal...
I'm glad living soil is working out for you,but the poor advice and your history of suggestions here are not. Stick with the soil eh....it seems it will teach you more than we can.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
The ravages of excess watering in the Willamette Valley - over 50" rain per year and you can see for yourself the devastation it incurs...

large_fisher%203.jpg

Gascanastan

Veteran
I was wondering how you guys are on water usage, do you water till run off or do you just keep the soil damp?

Reason i asked is because the water runoff would most likely be taking away nutrients/other goodies with it that we worked hard to put there in the first place. Or is a slight soil purging a good thing?

I got some soil in an aquaponic system that has been watering with the same water for 2 years, only additional water is from rain, its doing OK. growing parsley not weed though.

Hey look it's bajagreen with a normal post everyone....

I wouldn't keep cycling the same water,regardless of the cycling. I keep pots moist but make sure that I'm getting the appropriate amount of run off...which is my indicator that the container is being penetrated and water is being absorbed by the medium and the plant. Some pots/plants only need a bit of water...others need a good thourough saturation.

I like Von's description of watering correctly..

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Gascan

It only took 5 weeks to finally get here but the bamboo charcoal finally arrived for my new water filter set-up and a couple of other projects that I have in mind.

Its uniform size makes it easy to work with I'm thinking, i.e. no big chunks and virtually no dust at all to be concerned with.

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran
Gascan

It only took 5 weeks to finally get here but the bamboo charcoal finally arrived for my new water filter set-up and a couple of other projects that I have in mind.

Its uniform size makes it easy to work with I'm thinking, i.e. no big chunks and virtually no dust at all to be concerned with.

CC

Bamboo charcoal...refresh my memory...

.. this the highest quality charcoal available correct...as far as carbon and density???

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Correct - it's been used in Japan for decades to purify drinking water and for crops where water purity is critical - like wasabi, orchids, fresh-water aquariums, etc.

It's definitely 'different' than activated charcoal and some others. They also carry coconut charcoal which is also used in Asia for the same reasons.

Gascanastan

Veteran
Interesting...what water are you filtering...drinking,rain,well? Considering living in PDX,(of which I gave no clue of air quality in your location) it might make sense to use a charcoal filter in rain catches on certain days there eh?

I know there is a coal burning power plant some miles to the south of my location,and if the breeze is blowing from that direction I will not use the water in my catch from storms that pass over that area.

rrog

Veteran
The mesh size is important for proper adsorption. Many times people are using smaller carbon size meant for water filtration in their air filters. Similarly, too large a mesh size will reduce aqueous filtration efficiency. Size matters.

Interesting about bamboo being a quality carbon for this. Wood and coal carbon is a lower quality. Bamboo is such an interesting plant.

W89

Veteran
Ijust want to make a post about how much of a difference my silica product has made to my plants, the strength of the stems and branches is amazing... I would normally have a fan blowing on my plants but as I have such a small grow space I havent got one but the use of silica in every watering and foliar has totally wiped out the need for a fan...my 2 week old seedlings has got stems nearly as thick as a pencil just by using silica as I've never had stems to thick and strong as this before. given this is my first organic grow it could be a combination of lots of things but I think silica has played the biggest part

Gascanastan

Veteran
The mesh size is important for proper adsorption. Many times people are using smaller carbon size meant for water filtration in their air filters. Similarly, too large a mesh size will reduce aqueous filtration efficiency. Size matters.

Sounds like good information.....

Status
Not open for further replies.