What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cann

.....lol...they still call it that?

HA...apparently? not sure why...lol

where would one find oyster shell powder down here? called 5 nurseries and 4 hydro stores and nothing so far but confusion. am i more likely to find it at a feed store, nursery, or hydro store? some of the hydro stores down here carry organic items like kelp meal, crab meal, rock dust, etc. so I wouldn't put it past them...but no luck so far.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Cann

Agrowinn Minerals (Encinitas, CA)

They have retail stores which handle their products in Riverside, Corona and is probably the one that OC Farm carries.

Think of your cost this way perhaps - let's say that you use 4 cups per 1 c.f. so that's going to be around 2 lbs.

If you pay around $1.00 per lb. then you'll have a couple of bucks for each bag of soil. The question then becomes whether or not you'll get $2.00 of benefit and if you ask others that have implemented these rock dusts into their gardens I feel you'll get positive feedback.

And the rate of 4 cups may not be necessary. That is Gaia Green's recommendation. However, Cascade Minerals suggests using more (much more) - but keep in mind that this is not a fertilizer by any definition. If you plan to 'recycle your soil' (I just love that term!) then you will only need to amend every couple of years - not cycles - years. If that often.

HTH

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
HA...apparently? not sure why...lol

where would one find oyster shell powder down here? called 5 nurseries and 4 hydro stores and nothing so far but confusion. am i more likely to find it at a feed store, nursery, or hydro store? some of the hydro stores down here carry organic items like kelp meal, crab meal, rock dust, etc. so I wouldn't put it past them...but no luck so far.
Feed stores. Almost without exception everything that we use in gardens plays a much bigger role in livestock, poultry, swine and even for feeding Tony the Pony.

Oyster shell powder was first mined from San Francisco Bay in the early 1900's for chicken feed. Egg shells are Calcium Carbonate. Calcium is an element. Chickens can't manufacture Calcium in spite of some fishy opinions. You have to feed chickens some form of Calcium to insure strong shells for shipping - oyster shell powder is one form.

Kelp meal - far more kelp is used for livestock than ever hits a soil - maybe 3% as a soil amendment. Maybe.

Alfalfa meal - more like 1% hits a soil. Even Azomite is a feed supplement as well as other rock dusts.

Always hit feed stores first and you'll be way ahead of the deal. Especially in that area - there's still farms & ranches in and around America's Colon so you should be in good shape.

Bert & Squirt at Hydro Heaven still struggle with correctly pronouncing Molybdenum. Don't know what it is but by Gawd they've got sumpin' with it in its sulfate form - 'See - it's right here on the label! Is that like Magnesium?'

Almost Cupcake......

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
'recycle your soil' (I just love that term!)

HTH

CC

...what other types of plants ever had to have a soil medium 'thrown away' after only 3 months of supporting a living plant through flowering...

It's crazy that it ever came to needing a term like 'recycled soil'...wtf....there was never a recycled soil paradigm before High Times cannabis-culture.

Like 'cooked'...'flushed'...etc...

Cann

speaking of Ca++, i have written in my notes that neem meal has around 12% Ca++...is this correct? pretty sure it was somewhere in the 448 pages of madness that is this thread...

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you know i have yet to try oyster flour; i get the chicken specific & i actually like the idea that it may be a while before it is readily available

diversifying the 'lime amendments' really woke up coco and benefits a peat grow too

~tl organics {of course}

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
speaking of Ca++, i have written in my notes that neem meal has around 12% Ca++...is this correct? pretty sure it was somewhere in the 448 pages of madness that is this thread...
Correct

Now do this - hit Dr. Duke's Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases

Enter an element you're wanting information for and in this database are those plants which accumulate higher numbers of the one you entered.

Try Calcium and see how much concern you should have about these mysterious and mythical Calcium deficiencies. Run a few more elements.

Once you find a plant that you can use, click on the botanical name and a list the major compounds as well as elements will be listed.

LOL

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Seeds definitely seem to sprout faster using cloth vs. glass jars. That's been my limited experience anyway.

Fresher air around the seed?

BTW - I had something called Cherry Pie (Cherry something) from Seattle a couple of days ago. Is that a Seattle strain?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i found; using my coffe cup and paper towel method; that i had sprouts within the day

suitable for doing the rinse

still kinda wondering about the ferment process {hint; you guys are leaving me in the dark?}

Gascanastan

Veteran
Seeds definitely seem to sprout faster using cloth vs. glass jars. That's been my limited experience anyway.

Fresher air around the seed?

BTW - I had something called Cherry Pie (Cherry something) from Seattle a couple of days ago. Is that a Seattle strain?

More air...my anal-ysis as well.

Cherry Pie....definite trend up here...saw some in a bag..unimpressed. Don't worry,I'm polluting the local gene pool with your landrace genetics at an ever increasing rate.

Gascanastan

Veteran
As far as I understand it,correct me if I'm wrong Coot,

You soak the seeds for a # of hours and then rinse away the growth inhibiting enzymes that protect the seed from germinating in conditions not ideal to the sprout.

Next,we place them in a sprouting jar,or as I am trying,the burlap bag.

They sprout,I let them get about a 1/2 inch tail and then basically soak them in water once they have a decent sized tap root.

The sprouts soaking in the water for whatever amount of time seems fitting to room temps,release the enzymes we are after into that water...which we then use.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I did/do with the purple barley because that seed really kicks-in on the microbe deal - after a few hours you can have a lot of 'fungi fuzz' in and around the top of the water line in the soaking jar.

Someone with a microscope and the knowledge could have a field day looking at this one......

Status
Not open for further replies.