What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cann

"hair dryer?"

hmm...don't own a hair dryer...good idea though.

maybe i'll collect all the little "clay" balls and dry them, then powder them, then reapply.

damn unexpected visitors! throwing everything off...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
or otherwise try to remove the gluey rock dust layer with a bit of the soil and then try to mix that up properly and dry a bit, then mix it back into the bulk of the mix.

VG

Cann

3 or 4 cuft...not bad, but not great. whats the outlook here...? doesn't sound like your experience was too enjoyable lol

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Cann

I worked with it until I go annoyed which didn't take too long - LOL

It can't burn your plants, I mean it's not like having clumps of alfalfa meal or a true fertilizer. I messed with it until it made some sense (not much but some) and let it ride.

I'll give you the benefit of a couple of other products that I've screwed up in a similar situation:

Rice Hulls - get those wet and you'll go running back to Pumice in a New York minute. Big time.

Bran - any of them so if you're into doing the bokashi strut & shuffle using either rice bran, wheat bran or oat bran - they all suck. Get everything thoroughly mixed before adding any liquids

Flaxseed meal isn't far behind either...

But with rock dust I wouldn't get too worked up....

CC

Last edited:

Cann

lol okay thanks for putting it in perspective...good to know.

on sourcing more rock dust - i'm tired of paying $1 per lb at the hydro store...do you think the rock dust from these guys would be good? not too far away from me...

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Cann

What about OC Farm Supply?

You want 'dust' i.e. 200 mesh. The products from your link would be good for aeration but it wouldn't give you the reasons for using rock dust in the first place.

You could also send an email to Gaia Green for information on their Canadian glacial rock dust and Cascade Minerals for their Basalt rock dust. Since their basalt product is relatively new on the market that's probably your best route - fire off an email.

CC

bigshrimp

Veteran
Could anyone comment on granite/mixed rock dust sourced from landscape supply yard vs similar bought amendments?

Im just hesitant of being someone's rock custie.

on my local patrols of feed mills and garden centers, ive found it hard to find bentonite and basalt, even oyster shell flour has been hard to find, can find the crushed shells, but not the powder.

i did however find "ground lime stone" 1 oz per 5g soil
82.25% calcium carbonate
4.82% magnesium carbonate
87.98%calcium carbonate equivalence
Oregon lime score 94

any good?

Cann

exactly what I was thinking...thats why I was asking cootz lol...a trusted opinion.

cootz, I just called OC Farm supply and they do supply rock dust - but it's $45.50 for 50lbs...! crazy. i'll fire off some emails to gaia green and cascade minerals and see what they say.

also, i was under the impression that the place I linked supplied rockdust. on their "products" page it says rockdust somewhere in the mix. here

Cann

lol no rock dust..apparently their website it outdated. guy was very confused when I started asking amount mesh size...he didn't even know what rock dust was! (not that hard of a concept? lol)

oh, the inland empire......

http://www.hhydro.com/Sunleaves-Soil-Sweetener-20-lb.html
nope, 87.98 is what is says cootz.

i got my hands on glacial rock dust, crab shell and now this limestone. im hoping that will be good considering the compost is good and so is the aged cow poo and castings. will also top dress with forest duff and everything else as we go, since im trying the no-till. still wondering how long ill last watering every-everyother day.... may have to get blumats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts