What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
god damn I wish I was in the PNW....seems to be that all the amazing resources are somewhere near where the columbia runs into the sea...$8 for a bucket of vermicompost!!! I'm paying $17 down here and I thought that was a decent deal. same feeling as looking at the price list for concentrates lol. :cuss:
And still there's 26 grow stores in and around PDX that are humping & jumping

Simply amazing......

V

vonforne

That would be him!

Awesome cootz, Thanks!

BTW I now have 10 lbs of neem from the Neem Resource you linked me to some time ago. Thanks again. Now I can use half as much as I was with the DTE Neem.........gotta get the toothpaste also. lol

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cann

Something like 85% of Ayurvedic concoctions contain Neem oil - that's how ingrained this tree was and is in Indian culture & medicine. It's also the main form of birth control in both India and China and the two compounds which are extracted to make this medicine. That's where the very slight differences between Neem & Karanja oils comes in - different forms of Nimbin.

The neem tree is one of the original "7 Holy Plants of the Ayurveda" which predates Hindu writings and even in the Sanskrit writings it's clear that the cultivation and harvesting was already established long before even this ancient text. The Hindus believe the tree to be a manifestation of Goddess Durga and in some Hindu branches they believe the tree to be the Goddess Neemari Devi

I've seen other references that the bow Lord Krishna carried into battle told in The Bhagavad Gita was made from neem tree branches.

Jai guru

CC
lol,its clearly none too good at that!

V

vonforne

Anyway, I am excited to see how my soil will do after sitting for 6 months with no use. When I removed one of the tops to the containers there were fresh worm tracks on the lid and sides. Funny how they are always facing south. Any one else notice this? I took it as a good sign that the soil is still alive even after being outside in a garage when it was cold. I have been applying ACT and tepid water to it in preparation to planting soon.

Now I can actually actively participate and not just talk about it......not that I talked about it much before. lol

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Von

I found a couple of farmers through a link at the Food Alliance website and made arrangements to have a bag dropped off at a feed store up towards Mt. Hood - quite a purchasing adventure!

koolkush

Veteran
Von

I found a couple of farmers through a link at the Food Alliance website and made arrangements to have a bag dropped off at a feed store up towards Mt. Hood - quite a purchasing adventure!

Coming up that way what's a good place to source all the good amendments for cheap

V

vonforne

Closet one to me is in Kit Carson Co. Damn midwest........sooooo far behind. Looks like I will have to become the local supplier here.

V

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
koolkush

There's only one place - Concentrates

Sphagnum peat moss, organic coir (Sri Lanka), every seed meal you want might and most are organic, fish meal, fish bone meal, blood meal, bone meal, Azomite (like $20.00 a bag - compare that with a grow store), Canadian Glacial rock dust, Basalt, K-MAG, Bentonite, Perlite, Pumice (2 or 3 sizes), Rice Hulls, endo and endo/ecto spores, kelp meal, powdered seaweed extract (ASL), some really marginal compost from Teufel Nurseries, (same product as Down-To-Earth), Oyster shell powder, limestone, calcite lime and of course my favorite - Dolomite Lime, Epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate) Sulfate of Potash (Sulfur & Potassium mineral compound), Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate).

No neem meal though......

Status
Not open for further replies.