What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrSterling

I was dumping my sprouted barley into the worm bins after their final soak, the bins devoured most of them quickly but this morning I found a barley seed in the middle of the bin with this huge sprout coming out. Poor thing had tried desperately to reach the surface.

W89

Veteran
I have been doing the same as you MS! with the dregs from everything actually... some of the sprouts have shot out roots but I just break them when they get big so they die and decompose

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
i have a question, i want to build a large worm bin to supply my ewc, can i just load my worm bin with my soil to be recycled, or do i need a compost pile and a vermicompost pile too? thank you

rrog

Veteran
You can start with old soil. Would be good to also have some compost to start. Really great that you're raising worms. Really great.

B

BlueJayWay

cann.

I don't get to spend much time down there lookin around for places - whole foods @ 2$ each for organic young coconuts is the best I could find - oddly enough Clark's has nonorganic coconuts, sometimes :/

I wanted to buy bulk from Florida coconuts dot com but they have not returned any emails

I scrapped the alibaba lifetime supply 50,000 coconuts.....

....haven't found any good Asian or mexi markets - the Vallarta I went to didn't have any young coconuts or even aloe fillets.... Damn good buffet and juice bar and tamales and pupusos and tortas damn I'm hungry

smoooth

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Quick question about the lime mix

Lime
1/2 cup Gypsum
1/2 cup Crab Meal

Is this the rate per cubic foot?
And also the oyster shell flour can be used as part of the mix, correct?

rrog

Veteran
Gas edited the lime / Ca components on page 1. This is for approximately 2 cu ft of base soil:

1/2 cup this 3 part lime mix based off Steve Soloman's 3 -way lime mix..adjusted by Coot a few years ago.....for the peat moss..and a continued supply of mag,cal,and sulfur as you recycle.

Since the start of this thread we have since determined that dolomite is not necessary,but this lime mix still works for the peat moss ph regardless.

1 part powdered dolomite lime
1 part agricultural gypsum
2 parts powdered oyster shell

I hope I'm understanding this correctly

Scrappy4

Veteran
Quick question about the lime mix

Lime
1/2 cup Gypsum
1/2 cup Crab Meal

Is this the rate per cubic foot?
And also the oyster shell flour can be used as part of the mix, correct?

I'm not sure what mix your referring to, but I'll throw my 2 cents in, i like to use about 1.5-2 cups for a 3.8 cf bale of a pre limed medium like pro mix. For a straight peat that has no lime at all, I would double that. If you bought the medium the bag should tell you if it has been limed.

Personally I don't think of crab meal as a liming agent although it probably is, it's just that it disappears so fast. I add gypsum and oyster shell flower on mixing but not for reusing the mix, but I also have a lot of other calcium containing things in my mix, including my compost. Plus I feed with botanical teas that also have calcium, magnesium and tons more of minor elements and compounds.....scrappy

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haha yes sir. Or any of you TOP contributers to this thread.

I'm sorry. I had been addressing Yosemite, when the IC system went wonky.

YS: What exactly were you asking? and were you asking me?

Color: I'm not much when it comes to soil mix ratios.

I just throw in equal (approx) parts of soil, peatmoss,
[vermi]compost and a bunch of drainage material until it looks/feels right. Then I go with the other stuff, according to what I have.

Cann

on the subject of sprouts - I am constantly sprouting alfalfa, clover, broccoli, radish, mung beans, etc. for personal consumption. at the same time I am sprouting seeds for my plants - barley and alfalfa are the usual suspects. With the sprouts for consumption, I find myself pouring out a lot of rinse water (maybe a gallon a day)...should I be saving this and using it on the plants? it only makes sense to me....

i guess my question would be - in a 5 second rinse of alfalfa sprouts, does the h2o pick up the enzymes, hormones, metabolites, etc. that we are looking for? or is it the 24+ hrs of bubbling that releases these goodies into the h2o? just wondering if it is worth my time to save the water from these sprout rinses and use it on my ladies. i assume the dilution would be significantly different...or maybe even use it undiluted? the water doesn't turn cloudy in 5 seconds..if that means anything.

also, i think i recall cootz saying that the triacontanol in alfalfa is highly concentrated in the root tip, does this mean that an alfalfa sprouted tea would be unadvised past week 3 in flower? don't want to confuse my ladies...

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Even if it is good stuff you would play hell picking a reliable supplier out of that bunch...I am guessing quite a variety of quality control processes in there. How would you sort that out?
YosemiteSam

I hate to do this to you but you asked - LOL

Soil Humic Substances

Northeastern University - Humic Acid Research Group

International Humic Substances Society

If you run your terms, authors, etc. through SCIRUS.com, JSTOR.org you'll have far more success than using regular search engines - even using Google Scholar can be a step in the right direction though a lot of the changes at Google are not a step in the right direction.

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
What about using corn seed sprout tea instead of Coconut?
rrog

What coconut water gives you are Gibberellins - specifically G1 thru G8, Indole-acetic-acid (IAA), enzymes and Cytokinins

What corn malt gives you is a very rich source of Cytokinins as well and the one that has been researched extensively, Zeatin, was named for the genus Zea - maize or corn

Zeatin promotes growth of the lateral buds and stimulates cell division to produce bushier plants when sprayed on the apical meristem

Last edited:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
i guess my question would be - in a 5 second rinse of alfalfa sprouts, does the h2o pick up the enzymes, hormones, metabolites, etc. that we are looking for? or is it the 24+ hrs of bubbling that releases these goodies into the h2o? just wondering if it is worth my time to save the water from these sprout rinses and use it on my ladies. i assume the dilution would be significantly different...or maybe even use it undiluted? the water doesn't turn cloudy in 5 seconds..if that means anything
Cann

I use it - it's not waste at all. I don't dilute it - just toss it into my trusty sprayer and hit the girls before lights' out!

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts