What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeaMaiden

I use my observations of the organism to determine how well it is or isn't doing. Purpling or reddening of petioles may indicate a problem is developing.

I also am concerned with bowel movements as a barometer of health. Plants don't have bowel movements, but fish and other living things do, and they're an important barometer of health and beauty.

Attachments

• turdtest.jpeg
    turdtest.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 22

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Reminds me of the story of the physician to the king of england who paid a lot of attention to his feces, but not to the color of his urine (blue!) which was due to a hereditary disease from severe inbreeding.

I think that the moral of the story is yeah, it can tell you a lot, but don't get so concentrated on it that you ignore other symptoms.

S

SeaMaiden

Ah! Poor King George, whatwhat!

The moral of the story is that each organism is a WHOLE. To suggest ignoring one symptom because it is only one symptom may disallow a better understanding of the whole.

Or is it that each organism is a HOLE...?

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
I think you misunderstood - the price just amazed me.

"So are you guys selling this stuff?"

"20 bottles yesterday!"

Yeah I saw the price...I'm not shocked much anymore...old age being fucked and bent over by marketing....I dunno.

I just read a thread where the malady is purple stems on the fan leaves - why is this a concern?

I've always claimed this as BS. I won't get into why just yet. IMO it just doesn't exist.

Well clearly there is a problem.. the purple is stuck in the stems on it's way to the buds.. Better flush it!
ahhh...now there's the solution. I haven't heard much about flushing as of late. People really do flush 'organic' soil ya know...no really....really.....yeah really.

Y

YosemiteSam

I just read a thread where the malady is purple stems on the fan leaves - why is this a concern?

That means a P deficiency...never mind every single bottle nute has at least 3 times what a plant needs. (in case you don't know me yet this is YS sarcasm)

Truthfully P deficient is the last thing anyone needs to worry about. Balance without lots of sites where stuff can be sequistered until it is needed is the only issue anyone every really runs into with bottled nutes.

Anyways...fed my alfalfa tea this morning. I ain't no genius but I have been around mj long enough to know when it is happy as Scooby Doo with one of those snacks...fuckin lovin it within an hour.

Do you guys feed anything different in flower? I tend to go heavy Ca in veg/stretch and then more K with less Ca in flower. Anything like that with the teas?

How often is enough with aloe?

Does anyone make a chicken shit tea?

bio teas :jump:

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I see itin gardens where PH is outta whack and also when theres an abundance of other elements

Also a problem went away with the addition of sul-po-mag and gypsum to my soil

Possibly something like I was reading yesterday

Gradually reactions occur in which the adsorbedphosphate and the easily dissolved compounds of phosphate form more insoluble compounds that cause the phosphate to be become fixed and unavailable. Over time this results in a decrease in soil test P. The mechanisms for the changes in phosphate are complex and involve a variety of compounds. In alkaline soils (soil pH greater than 7) Ca is the dominant cation (positive ion) that will react with phosphate. A general sequence of reactions in alkaline soils is the formation of dibasic calcium phosphate dihydrate, octocalcium phosphate, and hydroxyapatite. The formation of each product results in a decrease in solubility and availability of phosphate. In acidic soils (especially with soil pH less than 5.5) Al is the dominant ion that will react with phosphate. In these soils the first products formed would be amorphous Al and Fe phosphates, as well as some Ca phosphates. The amorphous Al and Fe phosphates gradually change into compounds that resemble crystalline variscite (an Al phosphate) and strengite (an Fe phosphate). Each of these reactions will result in very insoluble compounds of phosphate that are generally not available to plants. Reactions that reduce P availability occur in all ranges of soil pH but can be very pronounced in alkaline soils (pH > 7.3) and in acidic soils (pH < 5.5). Maintaining soil pH between 6 and 7 will generally result in the most efficient use of phosphate

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/cropsystems/dc6795.html

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Anyways...fed my alfalfa tea this morning. I ain't no genius but I have been around mj long enough to know when it is happy as Scooby Doo with one of those snacks...fuckin lovin it within an hour.

Do you guys feed anything different in flower? I tend to go heavy Ca in veg/stretch and then more K with less Ca in flower. Anything like that with the teas?

How often is enough with aloe?

Does anyone make a chicken shit tea?

bio teas :jump:
YosemiteSam

RE: Alfalfa tea - pretty amazing isn't it? Try it next time with some kelp meal added. Well worth the pennies this would involve

RE: NPK

I honestly have never considered NPK when selecting this or that material. I'm more about 'where is it from?' and 'who is packing his?' with a heavy emphasis on 'what is their track record with their regard to their filings with various agencies?'

Sounds weird I'm sure.

BUT - when you get Comfrey up and running, I pulled the USDA analysis on Comfrey and the list is too long on the Secondary Metabolites so I'll limit the numbers on what is usually considered important.

Having said that, I could use your help because all of these Elements are listed as 'ppm' so I don't know how that translates into percentages but regardless here goes.......

Calcium - 11,300
Magnesium - 1,700
Silicic-Acid - 40,000
Phosphorus - 2,111
Potassium 15,900

HTH

CC

havemyZippo.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Having said that, I could use your help because all of these Elements are listed as 'ppm' so I don't know how that translates into percentages but regardless here goes.......

Calcium - 1,13%
Magnesium - 0,17%
Silicic-Acid - 4,00%
Phosphorus - 0,21%
Potassium 1,59%

There, your percentages! Great info in the thread, thanks to all those of you that contributed!

^edited you quote and added the red text. :wave:

Made some mistakes at first, but now I edited and fixed them.

Last edited:
Y

YosemiteSam

I have been thinking about that. NPK is technically a % of N, P2O5 and K2O.

When you brew a tea it would depend on how long you let it go, how much movement, etc. Who knows how much is left in the discarded plant matter and did you get equal %s, etc...and more important, does it matter? (and I am just chunking the leftover material into the beginnings of a compost pile...mineralized compost has suddenly become a fantastic idea)

I tend to think one needs to look at those ppms as potential rather than actual and depend on the experience of you guys as to what is enough/too much, etc

In a long term soil with no "flushing" and enough negative sites and living critters my guess is it just does not really matter. It is almost like you build enough stuff in there and then rely on the plant/microbe/mineral/plant sugar deal to be smarter than us...and it is, it has had millions of yrs to figure it out without someone on the internet confusing us.

My outdoor plants are perky as can be until late in the afternnon.
Then they just flat lay down at night. I assume they are dumping a bunch of sugar into the soil asking for more microbe activity and more food for the next days massive UV onslaught.

At least that is what my high imagination is telling me. I actually feel myself letting go of a bunch of bullshit that was floating around in my head

but not quite everything...my aflalfa tea with my water finished at a pH of 6.5 :biggrin:

edit....and wow, that is a serious shot of Si. nicely, nicely

J

jerry111165

my aflalfa tea with my water finished at a pH of 6.5

And if it finished at 5 or 8 that would be just fine too. I'm surprised you even bothered to check it. I don't even have any pH testing stuff anymore - thank God.

J

Y

YosemiteSam

It was a joke...no way was I gonna adjust it. Just fookin about a little.

J

jerry111165

Good man Sam. :) I'm glad to hear its working out well for you.

Another great tea is neem meal - if you can stand the smell!

Comfrey syrup/extract has been my new toy lately - collecting as much of the concentrate as I can while the comfrey plants last - mebbe another month or two.

J

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Just a reminder...if anyone has not seen 'the botany of desire'...I HIGHLY suggest you do.

This would be a great reminder why we are all here on ICmag.....of course watch it with a grain of salt when the idiot doing the burned up hydro speaks....some poop falls out of his mouth a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts