What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, quick question about the sprouted teas. This is my first time exploring them thanks to CC, and was wondering about the odor when finished. There is no visible mold, just a little bubbly foam on top....but it smells like vomit/stomach bile. I was going to give it a taste to get more information that I could provide you all, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Just to add to my question above, the sprouts I'm using are a mix between an organic 4 rice blend and a wild whole birdseed blend (don't have barley or alfalfa seeds yet). Sprouted to an inch or so long then soaked 40ish hours.

W89

Veteran
I Mixed a handfull of kelp into a liter of water and its been bubbling for 2 days now its gone really dark and concentrated... If I now strain this and bottle it how long will it keep for? do the goodies breakdown like the good acids and manitol all that stuff?

The same with Alfalfa does the triancontanol break down if I prepare it the same as what Ive done with the kelp?

Also the seed enzyme teas If I make a big batch can I keep it and just dilute when I need it or does it go bad?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
this page has been not available to me all afternoon it was stuck on a post i made hours ago...

Cootz did you see my post about the alfalfa I got? do i just soak it and the triacontinol will just be available in the liquid? also My seeds I got are they any good? the mung bean? i know alfalfa and broccoli is good.. Ive just added a tea spoon of alfalfa seeds to some water I will drain the liquid when i get up in the morning so they would have been soaking 12-18 hours... then im gonna just add them to 1ltr of water... as I dont need 1 gal to spray 6 seedling so making it with 2 table spoons would just be a waste.. I got the cocoa shells and im now adding them to my mix ... and will add 1 cup of alfalfa and im hoping my crab will be here tomorrow and il add 1 cup of that... the mix will be 2cuft now... with 2 cup kelp, 1 neem, 1 alfalfa, 1 crab and 1 poultry manure. does that sound good to you?
I also got a good handfull of dandilion leaves and cut them up into tiny bits will dry it out and use late
W89

A friend in California uses legumes and Mung Beans are on his list. He's been sending me photos every week and his plants are screaming - he's an organic terrorist in every way.

You have to sprout the seeds before soaking in water for a couple of days. You have to soak them first like you are doing, drain them, let them sprout. Let the tap root grow out about 1" or so and then soak them for 2 days.

On the amounts of your amendments, how much soil are you adding these materials to?

The Alfalfa pellets you posted are not something that I've seen in the states. Here's a photo that I grabbed to show you what this product looks like 'ovah here'

6e6acf8c-9ae1-4201-ac7b-dea397e91c35.jpg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I Mixed a handfull of kelp into a liter of water and its been bubbling for 2 days now its gone really dark and concentrated... If I now strain this and bottle it how long will it keep for? do the goodies breakdown like the good acids and manitol all that stuff?

The same with Alfalfa does the triancontanol break down if I prepare it the same as what Ive done with the kelp?

Also the seed enzyme teas If I make a big batch can I keep it and just dilute when I need it or does it go bad?
1. Don't try to store it

2. 1 liter - only use 2 tablespoons of kelp meal. Dilute the tea you are making now 1:3 with water

High-dosing with these materials will cause you much, much grief and real problems. Particularly kelp meal and Alfalfa.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Hi all, quick question about the sprouted teas. This is my first time exploring them thanks to CC, and was wondering about the odor when finished. There is no visible mold, just a little bubbly foam on top....but it smells like vomit/stomach bile. I was going to give it a taste to get more information that I could provide you all, but couldn't bring myself to do it.
Pick-up a cheap, cheap air pump at PetSmart (around $10.00) and a small airstone (around $2.00)

After the seeds have sprouted and you begin the soaking period, stick the airstone into the water and let it bubble. That will preclude the smells.

Please get 'fermented' out of your lexicon on this one. Fermenting is not a goal in any way. And if some jamoke comes along and tells you to add EM-1 or whatever lactobacillus bacteria concoction - ask them to take a flying leap at a rolling pastry - i.e. go screw a doughnut!

LOL

CC

W89

Veteran
Is that a no on storeing the Kelp and Alfalfa? if so I will just use them in my mums garden tomorrow when i go round... as 100ml will feed my plants atm..

W89

Veteran
I top dressed last week with some kelp so this time i just chucked it in the worm bin... the alfalfa is brewing now and will prob add that to the worms too as I just added a mulch of cocoa shells and CBA to take it off to add the alfalfa as i'm only using tiny pots of about half-1 ltr it's fiddly I will be watering tomorrow and will add 100ml of the kelp and 100ml of the alfalfa to 600ml of water and water them with it..

Pick-up a cheap, cheap air pump at PetSmart (around $10.00) and a small airstone (around $2.00)

After the seeds have sprouted and you begin the soaking period, stick the airstone into the water and let it bubble. That will preclude the smells.

Please get 'fermented' out of your lexicon on this one. Fermenting is not a goal in any way. And if some jamoke comes along and tells you to add EM-1 or whatever lactobacillus bacteria concoction - ask them to take a flying leap at a rolling pastry - i.e. go screw a doughnut!

LOL

CC

Ya thanks CC, I didn't realize folks were bubbling these sprout teas...guess I never realized they would ferment so quickly as well!
Odd smell though, not like anything fermented I have ever smelled. Honestly, mild stomach bile is the only thing that could come close in comparison...

And I would never wish the dirty nether regions of a douchebag upon a quality pastry...lol

LL

W89

Veteran
It's says on the bag from the uk... I wasnt gonna add any anyway but what could happen?

I just picked up a bag of mycorrhizal fungi it's a product called root grow says on the back Arbuscular mycorrhizal and ecto mycorrhizal... I know ecto aren't any good but what about the Arbuscular? Doesn't say which species it is. is sponcered by royal horticultural society

I also got a product called root grow by Thompson and Morgan but doesn't say anything about what mycorrhizal fungi is init

I've used the first product in coco and when I looked at the roots I did see a lot of jelly like substances and I read somewhere they exude that stuff but not 100% if it was the fungi

Weyenot

Hey thanks!

Well your guess is a lot better than mine as to its origin - it doesn't give a specific state. I got it from a cosmetics website that sells raw ingredients to make your own lotions, soaps, and other beauty 'essentials' lol. It is spray dried organic though, so I think I'm in good hands. Whether it's pharmaceutical grade beats me.

On another note, I never thought that researching plant needs would ever lead me to change my own nutritional habits. I now also take a healthy serving of Aloe and I plan on chowing on some home grown wheatgrass in the near future! Growing organically has made me more aware of what goes into my food as well. My plants are like that nagging mother who told us to eat our veggies when we were kids, only worse - now I need to know what goes into my veggies!

Hello think_fast,
Its totally awesome that you are making some changes for your health!! Its cool that you came to your conclusions by watching your plants; Id like to think they arent too different from us:)
Im curious as to how you plan on taking your wheatgrass in, you mentioned chowing down so to me that means eating; is that what you mean? I do a raw/plant based diet so I have had a little experience with that wonderful stuff;) Its wonderful for cleaning junk out of the body in addition to having alot of nutritional value as well!
All the best to you and your plants:)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MM, Gas, Cootz or whoever...
so i looked at my soil mix today after applying an ACT two days ago and there appears to be a whitish grey fuzz or something growing on it, very fine and hard to see... could this be hyphae? i turned the soil to make sure it was evenly moist throughout, should i have left that stuff undisturbed and is the fuzz good or bad? soil smells nice and earthy and it is a fluffy moist texture, not muddy or compacted and it's been sitting for about a week now. and if my soil is growing this fuzz and it's in my basement do you think this can cause health risks?
DDG

DDG:

Since none of the soil 'cooking' dudes have replied, I'll just say, I'm not one who advocates the soil mix cooking or composting process. If you look through my posts, the closest I come is saying that if you include material in your mix which could heat, then you do need to wait to plant.

Now, I'm also not one who has suggested treating a soil mix with ACT prior to planting. IMO ACT is better applied once there are living plants so that nutrients will be cycled. I have treated non-planted soil with EM fermentations.

I don't know what you have included in your mix and do not know what type of fungi you have. However when I see fuzzy fungus, I usually keep turning it under. What you would be better seeing is thread-like mycelia. [BTW hyphae is microscopic).

So, I would suggest that you keep turning the fuzz under and don't apply too much moisture. It may help to know what you put in your mix. There are some fuzzy molds which can be a little unhealthy, like aspergillus fumigatus.

Weyenot

Ya thanks CC, I didn't realize folks were bubbling these sprout teas...guess I never realized they would ferment so quickly as well!
Odd smell though, not like anything fermented I have ever smelled. Honestly, mild stomach bile is the only thing that could come close in comparison...

And I would never wish the dirty nether regions of a douchebag upon a quality pastry...lol

LL

Thank you for asking about bubbling those sprouts LL and to you CC for your answer! I completely forgot about that little detail and I came under the impression that we were aiming for a slight fermentation, thank you for clearing that up. I have been getting along seemingly fine without the aeration but I think the process would definitely improve with some bubbling; the aeration should help extend the soaking time by slowing the fermentation, thus allowing more enzyme to be extracted, thats what Im thinking at least.... I noticed a slight film on the top after the first day every single time I have soaked, it didnt seem to affect anything but perhaps some of the enzymes are being degraded by the fermentation? I didnt get any kind of unpleasant smells like your bile aroma LL, maybe that had to do with the kinds of seeds being used? I wonder because the only ones I have used so far are barley and wheat, so I havent had a chance to sniff those; mine have always had a slightly sweet/nutty smell about them.
Having said I will definitely be getting a small air pump and an airstone or two.
Thanks again guys!

Weyenot

Thank you for asking about bubbling those sprouts LL and to you CC for your answer! I completely forgot about that little detail and I came under the impression that we were aiming for a slight fermentation, thank you for clearing that up. I have been getting along seemingly fine without the aeration but I think the process would definitely improve with some bubbling; the aeration should help extend the soaking time by slowing the fermentation, thus allowing more enzyme to be extracted, thats what Im thinking at least.... I noticed a slight film on the top after the first day every single time I have soaked, it didnt seem to affect anything but perhaps some of the enzymes are being degraded by the fermentation? I didnt get any kind of unpleasant smells like your bile aroma LL, maybe that had to do with the kinds of seeds being used? I wonder because the only ones I have used so far are barley and wheat, so I havent had a chance to sniff those; mine have always had a slightly sweet/nutty smell about them.
Having said I will definitely be getting a small air pump and an airstone or two.
Thanks again guys!

LL, do you cover your container with a lid or something when you
soak your sprouts? I have always left my jar open to the air so I wouldnt completely cut off the oxygen; in addition to the film on top there were air bubbles too. My timeframe has been close to the two day mark as well, a little less than 48hrs id say

think_fast

Hello think_fast,
Its totally awesome that you are making some changes for your health!! Its cool that you came to your conclusions by watching your plants; Id like to think they arent too different from us:)
Im curious as to how you plan on taking your wheatgrass in, you mentioned chowing down so to me that means eating; is that what you mean? I do a raw/plant based diet so I have had a little experience with that wonderful stuff;) Its wonderful for cleaning junk out of the body in addition to having alot of nutritional value as well!
All the best to you and your plants:)

You are correct in assuming I will be eating the wheatgrass. Without vearing the thread too far off topic (too late?) I don't yet have a definite game plan as to the method of consumption. Except if you count "whatever goes down easy" as a game plan lol. I've heard it does not go down easy, so some juice might assist here. If you know of delicious ways to mask the taste then I'd love to know!

Very quickly, and risking diverting the thread momentarily, if you (or CC!) know of any other elixers using other ingredients I'd love to hear them!

B

BlueJayWay

That was an eye opener for me, really, the universal similarities are astounding and my diet has changed and become better since I dove head first down this path.

Daily doses of aloe, coconut, sprouts mainly. My next bioAg order will include wu Jin San, finally!

I love measuring out somethin for the plants and then takin a swig myself - couldn't do that with the earth juice or the biocanna or the fuckin aptus that's for sure - urea yum!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
BlueJayWay

Don't be hatin' on Aptus! I'm going to order some LED and CFL rigs and switch over to coco and supplement the Aptus with daily doses of molasses! I'll probably toss in some Fizzies 'cause you can never have too much CO2, right?

Maybe some urine?

I'm back in the saddle again!
Out where the Indian's your friend
Where the air is clean and everything is green
So you can piss right into a stream
Oh, I'm back in the saddle again
I want my dank!

You are correct in assuming I will be eating the wheatgrass. Without vearing the thread too far off topic (too late?) I don't yet have a definite game plan as to the method of consumption. Except if you count "whatever goes down easy" as a game plan lol. I've heard it does not go down easy, so some juice might assist here. If you know of delicious ways to mask the taste then I'd love to know!!

Mung Bean Sprouts are fantastic on sandwiches. That'd be win/win and easy to eat ~

Status
Not open for further replies.