What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I did see Buffaloam. Their website ships two 8lb bags for $32. Peacful Valley sells 1 cu ft of Malibu Dynamic for $17. I dont know what is the better value, can you help me with that? I will be at the PV store soon.

I will work with KIS for neem and check them out for other amendments as well. Thank you for taking the time to help a maroon like me out.
Based on pricing alone, the Malibu Biodynamic is the best value.

RE: KIS Organics Neem Oil

Organic neem & karanja oil have 3x the levels of the compounds that function as bio-pesticide and bio-fungicide - 3x! And it costs less than the non-organic (i.e. conventional) versions.

It's a no-brainer......

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
You're right - I was thinking of the life/reproductive cycle of Spider Mites

My bad......

CC

Hey I'm as high as you...I space out and forget shit all the fucking time.
I forgot something so fucking simple and repetitive in the garden yesterday that I'm embarrassed to say...

I have not yet tried for spider mites...how effective is that..and that must be the plan of attack you are suggestion on the bastards.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Spinosad's only negative is the cost per application.

I have a minor mite problem so I hit them with Spinosad on Saturday. Tonight I'll hit them with neem oil and another neem oil on Friday followed up with that Cambodian Cilantro you smelled used as a tea.

Done.

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran

I have a minor mite problem so I hit them with Spinosad on Saturday. Tonight I'll hit them with neem oil and another neem oil on Friday followed up with that Cambodian Cilantro you smelled used as a tea.

Done.

CC
I was talking to a guy last night and we agree...change the attack formula throughout the several overlapping successive generations of mites.
3 times seems to be the magic #..

What makes 'em tough is that most eggs that hatch are female,and each female lays some insane # of eggs each day. As the generations overlap,they don't all get destroyed by incoming sprays when protected in the egg....or hiding out.

......and the ones that make it end up being resistant to the that 'formula',and in turn hatch generations of mites resistant to that particular formula.

Gascanastan

Veteran
YosemiteSam

My dog gets a 1x month flea medicine that is made with Spinosad. Friggin' works!

CC
...and it works on the ass mites that have my watering orangutan scratchin' at his ass when he should be watering....seriously though,it's bad news for most bad bugs.

picture.php

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Drove up into the forest today and harvested some very nice forest Duff.

I mostly found the top to have partially decomposed and slightly frozen aspen leaves and short pine needles.... once I scraped the top inch off I could see perfect dark brown luscious forest floor compost completely broken down and sexy looking.

I took the best of the top 3-5 inches around a few trees for some variety and I all in all I only took about 2 cubic feet.

I'm STOKED to add this to my mix tonight.

Here is a picture with some of the best parts of what I grabbed.... and some of the worst parts.... Smells great haha.

picture.php

B

BlueJayWay

If me, my monkey or my garden ever get mites, ass mites or the like - I'll be sure to do the spinosad, neem oil, cilantro tea combo as suggested here - being a hermit secluded high in the mountains seem to have its benefits in that department. Fungus gnats is the worst I've gotten at this location, goin on two years. In the valleys, dealing with mites and white flies seemed the norm...

Bringing in cuts from the dispenz is gonna be the test, they be crawling with mites yikes!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Gascanastan

RE: Diastatic Malt Powder

You can use 2 tablespoons of this powder per gallon without concern. Shake well as usual and there is no need to dilute this concentration.

CC

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Drove up into the forest today and harvested some very nice forest Duff.

I mostly found the top to have partially decomposed and slightly frozen aspen leaves and short pine needles.... once I scraped the top inch off I could see perfect dark brown luscious forest floor compost completely broken down and sexy looking.

I took the best of the top 3-5 inches around a few trees for some variety and I all in all I only took about 2 cubic feet.

I'm STOKED to add this to my mix tonight.

Here is a picture with some of the best parts of what I grabbed.... and some of the worst parts.... Smells great haha.

View Image

For cannabis you are probably better getting soil/compost from a wild grass or weed area. More liklihood of the correct mycorrhizal fungi, etc.

Please everybody don't make a habit of this unless you find an area scheduled for development. There is a reason why the forest does not need fertilizer.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got to get some Rove beetles going again. When I had them my thrips and mite problems virtually vanished.

Gascanastan

Veteran
Good point MM....There's no scheduled stop for deforestation,may as well use the soil before it's paved.

I 'borrow' material from multiple deciduous areas and fertile river valleys...and there are no shortages of material from many urban and sub-urban locations. I say "borrow" because I am mortal. When I am done w/it someone or myself will put it in a place where it will be used in a productive manner indefinitely.

Avoid pine duff for the most part....a little can't hurt. Do like M/High and take from many areas to avoid severe impact.....before you know it you'll have collected quite a bit of debris and humic material.... more diversity from multiple locations..

If everyone went up into the woods near MM's house and started stripping soil from pristine forested areas that would suck.....definitely please practice this gathering of material in an environmentally compatible way.

Yeah, Spinosad has always been the end all to Thrips for me period. Two applications and those weaklings are done. I never bothered using it on mites, but I will try this on the local European Red Mites and the two spotted we get here 24/7 to see if they react at all. I always tend to order beneficial for the real serious bugs like mites and aphids, but it is very expensive just love knowing the problem is 100% solved though.

I've got to get some Rove beetles going again. When I had them my thrips and mite problems virtually vanished.

Awesome tip I have never used them and will try them out now. A lot of people don't realize how awesome ants are for these things as well, heh. I have black ants constantly pouring in my grow from cracks in the walls etc. and to think I used to kill them many many years ago for fear of hurting my crop or stealing from my sugar jar :p now they have their own stash.

Gascanastan

Veteran
I mean that amount to use on your soil! LMAO

Only about 1/2 tsp. of the diastatic powder in a typical 3 lb. dough formula....

oh I remember the soil conversation.....just got the bread baking vibe running strong around here..... want to bake bread w/it too..it's the magic from what I understand,which is notta thing about bread other than yeast,water flour bake...eat...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts