OARDC
Wooster, OH

*Permanent address:
National Research Centre for Groundnut
Ivnagar Road, PB No. 5
Juangadh-362 001
Gujarat, India

Introduction

Plant diseases need to be controlled to maintain the quality and abundance of food, feed, and fiber produced by growers around the world. Different approaches may be used to prevent, mitigate or control plant diseases. Beyond good agronomic and horticultural practices, growers often rely heavily on chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Such inputs to agriculture have contributed significantly to the spectacular improvements in crop productivity and quality over the past 100 years. However, the environmental pollution caused by excessive use and misuse of agrochemicals, as well as fear-mongering by some opponents of pesticides, has led to considerable changes in people’s attitudes towards the use of pesticides in agriculture. Today, there are strict regulations on chemical pesticide use, and there is political pressure to remove the most hazardous chemicals from the market. Additionally, the spread of plant diseases in natural ecosystems may preclude successful application of chemicals, because of the scale to which such applications might have to be applied. Consequently, some pest management researchers have focused their efforts on developing alternative inputs to synthetic chemicals for controlling pests and diseases. Among these alternatives are those referred to as biological controls.

A variety of biological controls are available for use, but further development and effective adoption will require a greater understanding of the complex interactions among plants, people, and the environment. To that end, this article is presented as an advanced survey of the nature and practice of biological control as it is applied to the suppression of plant diseases. This survey will i) describe the various definitions and key mechanisms of biocontrol, ii) explore the relationships between microbial diversity and biological control, iii) describe the current status of research and application of biological controls, and iv) briefly outline future directions that might lead to the development of more diverse and effective biological controls for plant diseases.

Entire paper at link......

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
I had that blackberry bubba cut that was going around......seemed a lot of people really jumped for joy over that one. I found a varity of issues with it despite its nice flavor and decent effect. I crossed it with BMR and there's a guy around who may or may not do something with it. Did a LVPK cross to BMR too.....yawn.....

Gascanastan

Veteran
With the upcoming national election in November, what about a strain called Repuba-Bubba or something close?

I'd hit it.......

I can get some seeds out before November and popularize it....

..."yeah MAN,have you tried that Repuba-Bubba Kush...shit rocks the vote like it rocks my brain pan yo"

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
GC

This one would be my first choice if I had the inclination to 'name a strain' - Obon

The annual Buddhist festival to honor those who have made the passing - 'The Path of Self-Realization'

BTW - the annual Obon Festival at the Japanese Zen Buddhist Temple in Portland will be held on Saturday, August 4

Gascanastan

Veteran
Concerning the loss of vigor and health from cuttings....I have been growing and cropping long enough in this human form to know better.

I had the DJ/Sagarmatha Bubbleberry from Marc Emery's shop....drove up there and bought it myself in 1996 I beileive...$260 something for ten seeds. I cloned and cloned and cloned...and cloned some more for years on end from the keeper females cuts. I distributed cuts on the 'lot' well before anyone was doing that...hundreds. I cut from the cuts for years with nothing changing ever.....only thing that changed was the incredible amount of dirty rotten stinking $$$ I was making.

The plants were grown using the first commonly accepted organic methods at the time...the health and vigor never diminished.

After working with TO and BO I just can't be told that a cut/clone loses any health/vigor...not in the slightest.

If there is any truth to this 'myth',it may be that after several cycles of cloning in a garden that SUCKS,then it may be directly affecting the health of the plant...take it out of a shitty gardener's hands and if that may be true...I'm sure that the issues concerning health/vigor go away right away.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Concerning the loss of vigor and health from cuttings....I have bee growing and cropping long enough in this human form to know better.

I had the DJ/Sagarmatha Bubbleberry from Marc Emery's shop....drove up there and bought it myself in 1996 I beileive...$260 something for ten seeds. I cloned and cloned and cloned...and cloned some more for years on end from the keeper female. I distributed cuts on the 'lot' well before anyone was doing that...hundreds. I cut from the cuts for years with nothing changing ever.....only thing that changed was the incredible amount of dirty rotten stinking $$$ I was making.

The plants were grown using the first commonly accepted organic methods at the time...the health and vigor never diminished.

After working with TO and BO I just can't be told that a cut/clone loses any health/vigor...not in the slightest.

If there is any truth to this 'myth',it may be that after several cycles of cloning in a garden that SUCKS,then it may be directly affecting the health of the plant...take it out of a shitty gardener's hands and if that may be true...I'm sure that the issues concerning health/vigor go away right away

If friends in San Diego, Orange and Los Angeles Counties hadn't been treated like assholes when they offered 'old school genetics' simply because they didn't have 'the name' attached - some of these guys making claims about 'vigor' would have a chance to learn something.

Same deal in Oregon - I quit a couple of years ago trying to work with the 'clinics' in PDX - same deal: no name - no interest

WPF

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran
It's still very much Lame-O city in the dispensaries up here. The knowledge these schmucks have is infantile. The only thing concerning them is if it's purple and smells good....doesn't matter if it tastes like a burning tire,or what nearly lethal chemicals were utilized in it's 'production'....the shit sells....flies out the door.

I've never dealt with such an uneducated crowd really...bunch of cho-mo's and Mcdonalds fry cooks IMO....the johnny come lately's of the 40 year history of cannabis in the 'modern' era. Lameness on grand Babylonian scale

Y

YosemiteSam

You gots to bring the loud packs...geez, don't you guys know anything???

Gascanastan

Veteran
You gots to bring the loud packs...geez, don't you guys know anything???

...too old and missed the 'next wave' of kids and what they want....lost concern for poopy-pants.

Sticking to quality...so when the bottom falls out of the grey-area concerning legal BS and the genetically muddied types flop due to retarded growth issues...I'll still be doing the same dumbass organic breeding/growing thing.......and the ones that seek quality medicine will come crawling out of the desert begging for water.
:ying:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I'm bored so let's look at Advanced Nutrients Big Bud product. According to their filing here are the ingredients:

Magnesium Phosphate - 5 - 10% (so much for quality control, eh?
Magnesium Sulfate - 5 - 10%
Potassium Phosphate - 5 - 10%
Citric Acid - 5 - 10% (God only knows why this one is in there but there it is)

MSRP - $650.00 and the eBay price is $545.00 (plus S&H)

Huh - interesting deal there!

Real world prices:

Magnesium Sulfate - 50# is $35.95
Magnesium Phosphate - 50# is $68.00
Potassium Phosphate - 50# is $23.80
Citric Acid - 50# is $89.00 for food grade (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt)

So for around $225.00 you would have 200 lbs. of the chemical compounds in Big Bud

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran
Advanced pricing is more like it.....what a deal!!

The citric acid is proly used to either 'balance' the Ph in the concoction and/or act as a preservative for a long shelf life. Could be there to just fuck up things when you use it so you go scampering back down to the dro-store to buy the solution to the problem eh....I dunno simply because I've been over that BS for a quite a while now.

The whole thing is dishonest right off the starting line so who's to say except the chemistry educated vultures blending the shit,the scrubs that market it,and the people 'smart' enough to figure it out before making a decision to purchase the stuff or not.

Personally I buy things depending on how cool the package looks...does it have pit bulls,naked ladies,sharks,bears,spiders,flames and Harley Davidson's racing up the side of the bottle????

B

BlueJayWay

One day later & 10 pages of catchin' up to do! I'm really lovin' this thread and so much in line with what I've been trying to do more or less on my own by myself in my basement experimenting with a myriad of products/plants/soils/minerals/bacterias.

1. REUSE my soil indefinitely
2. AMEND with green compost/EWC, beneficial plant material, minerals/clays
3. COMPOST TEAS & "BOTANICAL" TEAS
4. Ultimately END using bottled ferts & more importantly break the mindset of needing to supplement with BOTTLED ferts/supps

BlueJayWay

Try this:

1/4 cup Barley seeds (not pearled barley from Safeway)

Sprout like you would any seed like Alfalfa, Mung beans, etc.

Once they're sprouted (about 2 days) add to 1 gallon of water and let that sit for 3 or 4 days and it will turn cloudy. Strain and mix 2 cups of this 'tea' to 14 cups of water = 1 gallon.

Spray your plants from top to bottom and hit the soil.

Let me know what you think. This works equally well using alfalfa, wheat, oat, etc. seeds.

"Enzymes"

CC

Nice, thanks man I will definitely try! I've done alfalfa teas & alfalfa/EWC teas and amazed at the results.

As a testament to "nature," since I've changed how I garden, I've gotten plants that consistently "pray." Makes a papa proud :D

What I'd like to do with "botanical teas" (if that's a proper term) is come up with somewhat of a routine/schedule/rotation of soil drench/foliars with different plants. ie. week 1 nettle week 2 comfrey week 3 alfalfa etc etc. And at the same time maybe there is no "better" routine and just alternating weekly/biweekly will give the garden the full range of various benefits offered from botanical teas.

In the meantime I'm going to be making one ingredient teas/soaks of the various plants i have on the list and record, the best i can, results of each and see if they fit more appropriately at a certain stage in the life of a cannabis plant.

Bogbubble / Blush / Sour Bubble :dance013:

Y

YosemiteSam

I'm bored so let's look at Advanced Nutrients Big Bud product. According to their filing here are the ingredients:

Magnesium Phosphate - 5 - 10% (so much for quality control, eh?
Magnesium Sulfate - 5 - 10%
Potassium Phosphate - 5 - 10%
Citric Acid - 5 - 10% (God only knows why this one is in there but there it is)

Huh - interesting deal there!

Real world prices:

Magnesium Sulfate - 50# is $35.95
Magnesium Phosphate - 50# is $68.00
Potassium Phosphate - 50# is $23.80
Citric Acid - 50# is $89.00 for food grade (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt)

So for around $225.00 you would have 200 lbs. of the chemical compounds in Big Bud

CC

This is exactly what I was talking about...you think they got enough Mg in there to totally fuck up your soil...and you wonder why bottle nute guys show their flush and you got all those fuckin burnt up leaves...they are straight up salted out.

I make me own chem nutes...the entire formula cost $0.07 per gallon (including shipping) and I would be happy to take the who's brix is higher challenge with any of them

And my brix does not match good organic...cause I checked.

Part of my theory is that these bottle nute suckers cannot keep a plant alive long enough to grow a proper sativa

At least give us Albrecht ratios if you are gonna rape us in the ass...is that too much to ask.

DARC MIND

Veteran
Seriously though coot, if you have not run out a Bubba Kush, give it a whirl. She is a terpene monster for sure, from an epicurean perspective, the taste alone makes it worth the 55 days she needs.
yes the flavor is what makes bubba great but the high is nothing compared to TOxBMR,a watered down TO from my understanding...

i can smoke bubba and most water down kushes all day,ther effect as a true indica is mediocre at best...very easy to build a tolerance but the flavor,aroma and bag appeal are were its at..
as a sat lover, pre 98 is the choice to keep the savory flavor of modern "kush" but preserve to a true landrace..
pre98 x pakistani in hope to lose the celling of high & ease of tolerance build up.
so far,first runs off spring taste of true pakistani, shall i say kush with very little of the bubba flavors i love...f3's are made,ultra purple but still on the hunt...:tiphat:

J

jerry111165

And this cost is for how much???

The sad part is that I used to buy this crap. Not that brand per se, but similar bottles.

I think I spend, well, enough to keep the lights burning? I don't spend much of anything anymore. It used to be a weekly trip to the Grow Store. Now my garden shed is so overloaded, my compost is heaped high and my worm bin is a-wrigglin' - I don't think I'll have to buy anything for years - literally.

:)

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts