What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
....incredibowl

I try to leave at least 3 to 4 inches below the top of the pot on the run previous to the no till run. That way it leaves room for what I call a 'topdress mix'...basically compost and EWC with some tiny amounts of fish and kelp meals.

Gascanastan

Veteran
Gas I would love seeds of any of those crosses!! Also, in that photo you posted a page ago, is there walkways that can't be seen, or do you move pots to get around in there?

The monkey slaves move the pots.. they are in rows by type...generally.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice chubby leaves Gas...Don't forget the installment on the last shipment of capuchins. I mean its over 45 days and you don't want Schwagg havin to get the pencil sharp....just a friendly reminder huh?

Gascanastan

Veteran
Shot caller ^^^......yeah man....got it.

I've yet to take pix of the no till...other than my compost in the topdress mix was a bit unfinished it's clear that the cuts responded faster in these no tills than the previous run where the soil was re-amended.

ClackamasCootz
BTW - using the correct amount of fulvic acid with chlorine-free water when geminating seeds is a good way to get higher percentages. I use fulvic acid with aloe vera extract for my soaking mixture - about 24 hours. If you're sprouting seeds to make a tea, adding a bit of fulvic acid to the original 24 hour soak water will also give you higher germination (sprouting) rates. Better than using Dioxin as recommended by the cannabis experts.

Sprouted alfalfa seeds and soaked to make a tea and then try adding legitimate fulvic acid - !!!. Well worth your time & effort perhaps.

Can you use this fulvic acid and aloe soak method to get higher germ rates if germing straight into Dixie cups with a sunshine type mix?

Gascanastan

Veteran
...someone suggested fulvic or humic acid to me for such a thing once.
I had some 20 year old seeds gifted to me out of a freezer by some old fart.....so it was decided they needed something to aid in the germination.

I ended up using about 2 drops of kelp extract per tablespoon of germination water.

Most seeds sprouted....many fine plants were found in the seeds.

Did you soak them in a cup of water with the kelp? I rather start seeds directly in peat based soil. I tried soaking seeds in water as a pre germination regimen and it didn't turn out so great.. This is why I'm asking if the fulvic mix cc posted would work in soil seed staring mix similar to sunshine mix..

Gascanastan

Veteran
Did you soak them in a cup of water with the kelp? I rather start seeds directly in peat based soil. I tried soaking seeds in water as a pre germination regimen and it didn't turn out so great.. This is why I'm asking if the fulvic mix cc posted would work in soil seed staring mix similar to sunshine mix..

I take little ziplock baggies and label them. Then I fill the bag with the water and kelp drops and pin it to the wall with a tack in a 78 degree room level with the eyes.

Then.....once they crack I sprout them in hormone free Oasis cubes in living soil after I cover the holes with peat. This eliminates hungry critters from making their way to the fresh tender little tap root before it gets a chance to grow it's roots in some living soil outside the safety of the cube.

But that's not to say that don't I plant seeds directly into pots of living soil and most sprout anyway...so...I guess it depends on how special the seed are maybe....or how much I care that day.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
...someone suggested fulvic or humic acid to me for such a thing once.
I had some 20 year old seeds gifted to me out of a freezer by some old fart.....so it was decided they needed something to aid in the germination.

I ended up using about 2 drops of kelp extract per tablespoon of germination water.

Most seeds sprouted....many fine plants were found in the seeds.
sorry,a little confused here....are you talking a presoak for pot seeds or is this to do with brewing sprout teas?

Gascanastan

Veteran
sorry,a little confused here....are you talking a presoak for pot seeds or is this to do with brewing sprout teas?
...pre-soak..for the devil's lettuce baby. Just soak 'em until they crack then plant...or do whatever your heart desires. Cannabis is a very easy seed to crack....compared to the nuts to crack around here.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
first off thanks to you guys for having such an informative,lively and entertaining thread.(triple threat! look out broadway!)

i have a bottle of ful-power fulvic acid,ever heard of it? (it was a shop freebie,strange thing,the reps always have boxes of free samples of nutes,but rarely ever any free bulbs and such.hmmmmm)

and sorry if i missed it,but how much would you use? ( i bet this would be the part where i would need to know the concentration of the product in question isnt it?)

B

BlueJayWay

^^^^ your on the right track with the fulpower, CC has been in contact with bioAg and has lots of info about it, try using it at suggested rates on the bottle for appropriate applications. I generally use between 10 to 20ml per gallon every or every other watering. 30ml per gallon in the aloe cloning solution.

Thanks for clearing that up cc I was confused I thought you said you were putting your seeds in water with the fulvic acid then transplanting seedlings into soil, I will try this with clones also..thanks guys

rrog

Veteran
Just a last Blumat thought. I use 1 Maxi carrot per 7 gallon Geopot. Three distributors per pot. I also have a tensiometer in each plant to accurately measure the root ball moisture level in realtime. Much fun. I have it dialed in so Blumats keep the kPa between 5 and 9, which at first made me shit. Seemed impossibly wet. But with our typically high aeration soil, that is indeed a sweet spot so far.

H

Heliopolis

I just wanted to pop in and say that this thread is beautiful to a neophyte like myself! I've enjoyed reading it, and I hope to put it to good use in the future. Many thanks to the contributors of this thread!

B

bajangreen

Just came across miracle grow organic bone meal, (MG bran is the only on available to me) i was wondering if to use it as directed or do i use it differently in living soil, i got some soil mixes to do tomorrow to let cook for next batch, but i also have plants in earth and in pots, in all different stages from seedlings to mid- flowering. is it best to top dress? or foliar or work in the top soil? npk 6-9-0 & 7% calcium.

Gascanastan

Veteran
I wouldn't use mammalian bone meal...never have. The common reasons others don't.
If you allow ample breakdown time 'cooking'...ha...it should be A-OK.....then again. I'm just a bloke who knows nuthin about soil cooking ovens...so you may want to check with Coot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts