What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks BlueJay. That is a great explanation.

I am wondering what happens if you just keep feeding...do they eventually reach senescence on their own, and is the quality really improved at that point.

Forgive me but I come from the dark side (salts) and am just starting to explore the possibilities that nature offers.

In my experience, senescence will occur even with weekly N feedings all the way thru bloom - the plant takes what it needs (presuming the soil is making it available) - in some instances my strains run a week or two longer than friends running the same cuts, but in every case, they yellow at an even natural pace as they enter their final days.

M

MrSterling

I'm not sold on senescence in cannabis. I'm not even sure it's the appropriate term. I've seen plants that yellow up and do seem to die back as flowers bloom, but I've seen plants fully green in healthy soil to harvest with no detriment in quality or yield. It appears that many growers assume it's a sign of full bud maturity, but it makes little evolutionary sense to me that a plant would evolve to die at a rather subjective human point like "smoking ripeness". I just haven't seen enough serious info on the matter and am on the fence. I see no reason to starve plants to induce senescence though.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
BTW...The visual effects of senescence are type related. Cannabis types behave quite differently from one another when it comes to the end of flowering depending on genetics. Some will be triggered by light changes and colder temps....and other combinations may have color changes regardless of temp or may never change at all. Indica dom's do generally carry more green and purple right up to the end...sativa dom's tend to yellow.

It just depends on what yer growing and where as to what type of senescence effect you witness.....and surely no doubt that if you have a soil pumped up with extra N that this too will effect the possible combinations of outcome.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
This Blue Mystic brings color on in the last couple weeks of flowering...without temp changes.

picture.php

This 'The Black' will dramatically change color in the first couple weeks of flowering by cooler temps alone. You can almost decide when to color them within some time frame like a 48 hr period where you can cool the room and put that color in literally overnight.

picture.php

OrganicOG

OrganicOG

You have 6 tablespoons PER GALLON of 'liming agents' - 42 tablespoons to each 1 cubic foot???????

That's 21 oz - over 1.4 lbs.

I'd pick-up a couple of color spots at Home Depot (marigolds, pansy, e.g.) and see how that flies for you before committing to using rooted cuttings or seeds.

6 tablespoons to 1 c.f. of potting soil would be my suggestion - total.

Garden Lime is Calcite Lime, i.e. pure Calcium Carbonate as is the Crab Meal. The Gypsum is elemental Calcium and Sulphur. Plus you have solid levels of elemental Calcium in the fish bone meal, alfalfa meal and neem meal.

HTH

CC
So maybe I should just toss it and start from scratch again?

So ditch the gl and use less of gypsum, any other recommendations before I start a new batch. I have other soil going that didn't have nearly as much lime - that was made in attempt to "fix" the calcium problem with coco...

Let me know :tumbleweed:

I'm not sold on senescence in cannabis. I'm not even sure it's the appropriate term. I've seen plants that yellow up and do seem to die back as flowers bloom, but I've seen plants fully green in healthy soil to harvest with no detriment in quality or yield. It appears that many growers assume it's a sign of full bud maturity, but it makes little evolutionary sense to me that a plant would evolve to die at a rather subjective human point like "smoking ripeness". I just haven't seen enough serious info on the matter and am on the fence. I see no reason to starve plants to induce senescence though.

I feel like this ones back to the question of determining peak smoking ripeness, too - if it's trich heads or calyx swell, it's very unlikely that leaf color has anything to do with either.

Side note - I'm running 3 of the same strain in bloom right now on a 2 week staggered perpetual. They all get fed the same thing at the same time, but the oldest has most of its fans starting to yellow, second has already dropped its fans, and the 3rd is closer to the 2nd than 1st - all started as clones cut from the same mom - yet the buds all look more or less identical.

Neo 420

Veteran
These pics are definitely not as impressive as Gas, CC's and everyone elses but its part of my organic goodness...

Used dry ice sift method on the pics below. The taste and aromas are solid with this method... Tried a 90, 120 and 160 micron size..... 90 reduces yield but oh the quality is so upped!!!

shmalphy

Veteran
Looking awesome! Where can I read up more on solventless oil?
there is not much info out there yet, it's really new... it is pretty much strain specific, whether it is a waxy, oily, or crumbly finished product... The basic idea is to just capture the trichome heads, and the art is in the cure...

there is not much info out there yet, it's really new... it is pretty much strain specific, whether it is a waxy, oily, or crumbly finished product... The basic idea is to just capture the trichome heads, and the art is in the cure...

Yup ^^^this - all I could add is that you want to maintain a cold temp (32-36 F), soak your starting material so it's not brittle, be gentle so as to minimize breaking your plant matter, dry & cure it well

EDIT: oh and wash the hash in each bag as you pull so that any smaller trichs which are 'caught' on bigger ones flow down.

M

MrSterling

Apparently they use greensand for commercial and home water-softening systems. Wondering if greensand could offer a simple solution to those of us with incredibly hard water. I'm going to do some reading tonight and some experiments.

B

BlueJayWay

I was going to try dry ice, had a convo at one of the shops and they're method seems too easy not to try it - I like to see instructions though LOL is there a thread on it here? I searched "dry ice" and nothin' comes up

Nice lookin' sift BTW :D

These pics are definitely not as impressive as Gas, CC's and everyone elses but its part of my organic goodness...

Used dry ice sift method on the pics below. The taste and aromas are solid with this method... Tried a 90, 120 and 160 micron size..... 90 reduces yield but oh the quality is so upped!!!

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=40140&pictureid=953157&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=40140&pictureid=953156&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Neo 420

Veteran
I was going to try dry ice, had a convo at one of the shops and they're method seems too easy not to try it - I like to see instructions though LOL is there a thread on it here? I searched "dry ice" and nothin' comes up

Nice lookin' sift BTW :D

Super easy.... I guess I could start a new thread on it. I am about to do some more in 30 min. Yep. That is what I will do... Time to find the camera...

Super easy.... I guess I could start a new thread on it. I am about to do some more in 30 min. Yep. That is what I will do... Time to find the camera...

Looking fwd to the vid! The one tip I can give from my limited experience is to break the dry ice into smaller pieces so as but to pulverize the trim with huge chunks.

D

Durdy

big ol mirror to sift over is nice too! or a glass table. and avoid overshaking trim gets brittle and breaks down very fast.

B

BlueJayWay

Seandawg - YouTube! I always forget about that too lol, they got everything on YouTube now!

Neo, that would be awesome, from the pictures I can tell yours is higher quality than at this shop - i look forward to the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts