What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Living organic soil from start through recycling CONTINUED...

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"{some of them smell more like death} "

alfalfa soaking in the bottom of a bucket for about a week or two, w/o an airstone... phew.

Hi Coba :wave:

noteworthy in regard to this is how last summer i was processing the charcoal from my BBQ smoker by soaking it w/ alfalfa in just enough water to cover

it wasn't "pleasant" exactly. But, the char goes a long way to reign in the evil

chappie

Veteran
Curious what type of containers are used for Aerated Compost Tea. I am considering setting up a 10-gallon brewing system and thinking I need a 13-15 gallon container (to hold the foaming up etc). This is going to be pretty heavy, so I believe a spigot would be in order. Is it sufficient to use the type of plastic screw-on fittings beer homebrewers use in a 5-gallon bucket, if I were to use a trash-can like container? The industrial "liquid storage tanks" are insanely expensive. So what do you all use?

Thanks

LBOrganic

How about this mix

How about this mix

So i Plan on using the following recipe to mix 9 cu ft of soil for my next grow it will cook for 8 weeks.

#1 The Cootz Mix:

Equal parts of Sphagnum peat moss, some aeration deal (pumice, rice hulls, lava rock - whatever is sitting in the garage) and finally some mix of humus - my compost, worm castings some black leaf mold I bought from the local 'worm guy'

To each 1 c.f. of this mix I add the following:

1/2 cup organic Neem meal
1/2 cup organic Kelp meal
1/2 cup Crab meal (or Crustacean meal when available - it has Shrimp meal with the Crab meal. It's a local product from the fisheries on the Oregon & Washington Coasts)

4 cups of some minerals - rock dust (See Below)

The Rock Dust Recipe
4x - Glacial Rock Dust - Canadian Glacial (Gaia Green label)
1x - Bentonite - from the pottery supply store
1x - Oyster Shell Powder - the standard product from San Francisco Bay
1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00)

No Dolomite Lime, Greensand or SRP was used. Or Azomite.

After the plant is in the final container I top-dress with my worm castings at 2" or so and then I hit it with Aloe vera juice and Comfrey extract. Or Borage. Or Stinging Nettle. Or Horsetail ferns. Whatever is ready.

That's it.

To recycle I've just been letting the root ball breakdown and I remove it. I dump the potting soil into an extra large SmartPot container (50 gallons) and add some new potting soil mix as above. I water it down with Kelp meal and Comfrey tea and let it sit until I need it.

Credited to Some Old Coot

I am gonna use these earthworm castings.http://www.rockymountainwormcompany.com/

Could somebody possibly give me some advice thats used this soil mix before ? Do it dont do it? Im excited to get started!:dance013:

Sir D

AACT

AACT

Hi guys! I understand sump pumps are ok for distributing AACT teas but what about inline pumps? Or any other pumps? Need a pump for a lot of tea!

LBO- if you used that recipe in a yard of soil could you basically multiply your amounts by three?

Curious what type of containers are used for Aerated Compost Tea. I am considering setting up a 10-gallon brewing system and thinking I need a 13-15 gallon container (to hold the foaming up etc). This is going to be pretty heavy, so I believe a spigot would be in order. Is it sufficient to use the type of plastic screw-on fittings beer homebrewers use in a 5-gallon bucket, if I were to use a trash-can like container? The industrial "liquid storage tanks" are insanely expensive. So what do you all use?

Thanks

15 gallon cone bottom tank

So i Plan on using the following recipe to mix 9 cu ft of soil for my next grow it will cook for 8 weeks.

#1 The Cootz Mix:

Equal parts of Sphagnum peat moss, some aeration deal (pumice, rice hulls, lava rock - whatever is sitting in the garage) and finally some mix of humus - my compost, worm castings some black leaf mold I bought from the local 'worm guy'

To each 1 c.f. of this mix I add the following:

1/2 cup organic Neem meal
1/2 cup organic Kelp meal
1/2 cup Crab meal (or Crustacean meal when available - it has Shrimp meal with the Crab meal. It's a local product from the fisheries on the Oregon & Washington Coasts)

4 cups of some minerals - rock dust (See Below)

The Rock Dust Recipe
4x - Glacial Rock Dust - Canadian Glacial (Gaia Green label)
1x - Bentonite - from the pottery supply store
1x - Oyster Shell Powder - the standard product from San Francisco Bay
1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00)

No Dolomite Lime, Greensand or SRP was used. Or Azomite.

After the plant is in the final container I top-dress with my worm castings at 2" or so and then I hit it with Aloe vera juice and Comfrey extract. Or Borage. Or Stinging Nettle. Or Horsetail ferns. Whatever is ready.

That's it.

To recycle I've just been letting the root ball breakdown and I remove it. I dump the potting soil into an extra large SmartPot container (50 gallons) and add some new potting soil mix as above. I water it down with Kelp meal and Comfrey tea and let it sit until I need it.

Credited to Some Old Coot

I am gonna use these earthworm castings.http://www.rockymountainwormcompany.com/

Could somebody possibly give me some advice thats used this soil mix before ? Do it dont do it? Im excited to get started!:dance013:

When using someones elses post put it in quote tags. As far as the mix goes use it. It is one of the best to build upon.

Neo 420

Veteran
Wow... This thread has been revived.....

What up all you psycho organic money saving growers? :)

Sir D

Ecoplus 5 69.00 from Amazon

Hey Jedi thanks for the help. That's actually the one I currently have to brew my tea but I I must not have been clear cause I nee a pump to feed with not for brewing . I need something that I can foliar with if necessary and to feed with using about 100ft hose. I bought a inline pump last year but thought it may have been counter productive as I did not see the results I was going for. I understand that sump pumps are cool to use for the beanies sake but was wondering about the pump I already have if it was ok or if it's a microbe slaughter?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-2-HP-High-Capacity-Sprinkler-Pump-FP5182/100150450

just grabbed two rootcutting of bocking 14 comfrey,one rooted and starting to grow leafs the other one didnt have anyshoots breaking out like the first cutting but it had roots any way to speed things up ive read on the other rols pages that this is pretty hard to kill

i have another question.it says i need.7 grams of aloe extract to make a gallon worth is that gallon worth a concentrate or is it ready to feed plants?

Coba

Veteran
7 grams of fresh aloe or the Lilly stuff? anyways that's like a teaspoon and a half ... that should be good to go. no diluting needed.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Hey Jedi thanks for the help. That's actually the one I currently have to brew my tea but I I must not have been clear cause I nee a pump to feed with not for brewing . I need something that I can foliar with if necessary and to feed with using about 100ft hose. I bought a inline pump last year but thought it may have been counter productive as I did not see the results I was going for. I understand that sump pumps are cool to use for the beanies sake but was wondering about the pump I already have if it was ok or if it's a microbe slaughter?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-2-HP-High-Capacity-Sprinkler-Pump-FP5182/100150450

A diaphragm pump under 60 psi will prevent destroying your microbes from cavitation. When I was into compost teas I used a
High Flo gold Series 2.1 gpm for foliar applications. You can see some of the details of the foliar setup in the Big Soil thread.
For the record Ive stopped brewing compost teas all together. Ive started inoculating with more microbes and using enzymes as well as foliar applications with fantastic results. I cant truly say all the brewing and spraying and great effort I put toward making compost teas ever paid off like using the right microbial products. Not saying plant teas arent good they certainly have their place. I just no longer mess with compost tea brewing etc.

Respectfully,

FE

FatherEarth

Veteran
Bocking 14 is a beast and yes its very hardy. I have see it come back time and time again without fail. You have to go out of your way to kill it and even then you may fail.

i mean the 200x dried so a tsp and a half of it? the other comfrey plan finally deiced to show it self and is looking good the bigger one is already in the ground they did pretty good in small pots

FatherEarth

Veteran
puraloe 200x is something like that.. 1.5 tsp is aprox 1 gram and around 225ml of water then use 1/4 cup per gallon...

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when i used 200x powder, i used something like a 1/2 tsp to a gallon of water. that's like using 2 cups or so of regular aloe to a gallon ~so, you could use less {even 1/4 tsp of the 200x is quite a lot}

goes to show you can use a lot of aloe w/o over-applying it

Latest posts

Latest posts