What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Living organic soil from start through recycling CONTINUED...

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys, let's stop mentioning the names of banned members before it turns into a TOU violation.
Those guys are gone and won't be back. Let's move on please.
Burn1

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is that your preferred temp across the board for 'infusions'? - whatever we are calling them.

sure, I say "around" because a little cooler/warmer won't make too much difference. I chose the word 'infusion' because one basically wants to infuse what they used to refer to as "the essence" of the plant in to their water

in some cases this may equal long chain compounds where you don't want fermentation to occur so, it's not an FPE ~same when you want the living micro-organisms but then you may want to bubble & feed molasses {like actively aerated compost tea right?}

we see the word "tea" in many instances & it means many things to different people

I make an AACT {~1 c vermicompost, ~4-6 TBS molasses ~4 gal water} bubbling 24 hours in my "bio-ractor" {a 5 gallon bucket with a PVC airlift and a disc airstone each driven by their own eco-plus comm 1}
alternately; I also brew a alfalfa/kelp meal nutrient "tea" in the same brewer

however; here I am talking about soaking something like lavender or mint for a foliar to do IPM or; as queried something like clover or alfalfa for a foliar or soil drench w/ microbiology intact {comfrey, yarrow or, chamomile, et al too FTM}

all this stuff happens in a range from ~65*F to not more than 85*F

the verbose response comes because there is a ton of advice pertinent to "teas" and compost tea & much of it seems ill-informed

Last edited:

W89

Veteran
For those who are wanting to plant these nutrient accumulator plants in large numbers, g out and find a nice quiet area somewhere, Ive found a nice little place down by a river where no body goes, I already found around 100 comfrey plants there and I had around 70 root cuttings I took which I also planted there, I also have pulled up a bunch of yarrow plants and planted those too which I hope will spread nicely over the next year, dandelions will be planted too and there is already an abundance of nettles there so should have all I need all in 1 spot.. horsetail aint too far own the road so I will just leave that where it is :)

Coba

Veteran
Hows it going Coba?

I'm doing well man living the dream I made a fertilizer tea with some stuff I found growing in my backyard the other day air potato vine and elephant ears I'm not sure, but I think it burned my leaf tips so I'm playing with the ratios of that stuff because I used a lot of the air potato

how are you...

JuiceDaLeaves

What up everyone

So I haven't opened up or stirred my FPE in like a good week and now I went to use some for my plants and there is a layer of some sorts floating on top....

The FPE actually smells better than it did last week but now I have this floating layer of chunky stuff that could possibly be mold? Not really sure...

My question is, will it be harmful to my plants? And any chance anyone has any insight into what this is and if its super beneficial or the opposite?

Thanks!

D

Downinthehollow

FYI if you ever cut yourself out in the field and yarrow is around, pick it, chew on it till its gets like a paste and then put it on the wound. It will stop the bleeding and will numb it a bit. Esp your mouth.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43314&pictureid=1124039&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

HEre is a pic of some of the plants I have wild crafted Yarrow on the left, some horsetail and my favorite comfrey. The comfrey is from a small plant I have in the back of my house I use this one for teas and my wife makes medicine and creams from it.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43314&pictureid=1123856&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
This is a 55 gal trash can filled with dried comfrey ready for the weed wacker to be turned into mulch. This is one of about 5 trash cans I have filled. Worms love it, and plants roots love it.

When I harvest the comfrey people must think "what is this asshole cutting down from the side of the road and filling up the bed of his truck with". Lucky wild crafting in my area is smiled upon.

One truck load wet comfrey = 55 gal dry = about 3 gals chopped.

The next picture is what roots do when exposed to a comfrey mulch
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43314&pictureid=1123851&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43314&pictureid=1092190&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Timbuktu

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol; yeah ~since nov 9 I've decided I'm not all that keen on nutrient teas

they work fine/it's the recycle thing that negates that tech & makes top-dressing preferable

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
A few shots to illustrate Living Organic Soil.....

IMG_20140103_144043.jpg

IMG_20140103_143730.jpg

IMG_20140103_143743.jpg

IMG_20140103_143738.jpg

You do not need the chemicals my friends.....

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
lol; yeah ~since nov 9 I've decided I'm not all that keen on nutrient teas

they work fine/it's the recycle thing that negates that tech & makes top-dressing preferable

Define please...

fermented plant extracts
or
botannical teas
or
both

I can see your point to a degree from a soil standpoint, however I like to foliar botannical teas... Mints and whatnot... but thats more of an IPM thing....

non

Veteran
soon as spring comes and stuff pops up, i'm gonna fiddle around a bit more with botanicals, quick soak of comfrey and yarrow actually smelled good enough to drink.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Define please...

fermented plant extracts
or
botannical teas
or
both

I can see your point to a degree from a soil standpoint, however I like to foliar botannical teas... Mints and whatnot... but thats more of an IPM thing....

a fermented plant extract is when you bottle up some plant matter in water {i.e. say a dandelion flower FPE} then let it ferment until it's done. In this fashion, you extract the elements & have a resource much like feeding bottled nutes {of known organic source though}

the problem being the loss of long chain compounds {for instance an alfalfa FPE loses the advantage of delivering triacontanol}

FPEs are much like using bottled soluble nutes

botanical teas OTOH are just bubbled for a short time & you can even add a little molasses to encourage the biology. In this fashion, you get the microbial benefits & the long chain compounds

you do want the botanical tea version for IPM as w/ say a botanical tea utilizing camphor for pest control is going to require the long chain compound "camphor" to be intact (that's your mint, lavender, eucalyptus et al}

i agree non sometimes botanicals do smell pretty good ~even an FPE can {some of them smell more like death}

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
not define which is which.... define which one you are unfond of LOL... or is it both... "nutrient teas" is kinda generic to the uninitiated....

Coba

Veteran
"{some of them smell more like death} "

alfalfa soaking in the bottom of a bucket for about a week or two, w/o an airstone... phew.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not define which is which.... define which one you are unfond of LOL... or is it both... "nutrient teas" is kinda generic to the uninitiated....

:shucks:

lol; i been leaning away from soluble nutes

I like botanical teas where the intent is getting long-chain compounds & biology

the IPM thing is totally within the scope of techs i embrace

I would like an FPE for getting a soil mix going maybe {compost seems more like the way to go}

Latest posts

Latest posts