What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk music.

G

Hey Pete!!

I had two accoustic Neil Young tunes running non-stop through my head earlier.

1.) Tell Me Why ("Tell me whyyyyyy. Is it hard to make arrangements with your self.....")

-and a classic that he wrote in response to an old care-taker who was driving him around on his ranch several decades ago, when the old man asked him, "How'd you get to have all of this at your age?," or something to that affect.....

2.) Old Man ("Old man take a look at my life, I'm a lot liiiiike you. I need someone to love me the whole day through...")

Timeless and amazing stuff.

Tommy Bolin was mentioned by me earlier, and played with Deep Purple as well. Really talented guitarist, vocalist, and writer until his rather early death from a multiple-drug over-dose. 'Dreamer' and 'People, People' are incredible!

moose eater

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hi moose!

Nice! I love the banjo pickin in Old Man.

I like Deep Purple alot. Good hard drivin rock. Blackmore was great and I really like the Hammond organ they used.

Ouch...multiple drug overdose...go big or go home, i guess. I will definitely check out those tracks. Always looking to hear something I haven't before.

Take care.

hey moose eater

Yeah levon is the best. Ive actually gone to two of his ramble shows so far up in woodstock. The first had the best musicians ive heard in one place in a while, Levon sounded great. The second show was last new years eve. It was ok. Levon didnt sing as much and played a short set. Still great to see the room light up when he comes out to play. There was a trumpet and trombone player that played a sick version of shine on you crazy diamond.

Also i plan to go again soon. I just wish he would play more Band stuff. He usually just does Dont ya tell Henry and Evangeline.

Any fans of The Band should check out their box set. Its got a really cool dvd of old performances.

Last edited:
G

Heya, SK,

Yeah, from my understanding, the talent that he's bringing in is along the lines of old time greats; Emmy Lou may or may not have played there once or twice, and many others. Sometimes musicians that only the hard-core know of, and other times a recognizable name or two.

I recall hearing something about his health, and hope that isn't the reason for the shorter than normal set you referenced.

I've had the box set by The Band for a while now. Back when my previous truck only had cassette tape capability, I dubbed a choice selection from that set onto cassettes, and played a lot of that on the way back from a particular reunion that was emotionally charged and moderately difficult.... in a really good, (but raw), sort of way.

Get Up Jake, Dontcha' Tell henry, the version of The Weight with the Staple Singers (???), Unfaithful Servant, Acadian Driftwood, It Makes No Difference, and many others that filled the miles...

I picked up a Native Elder who was hitch-hiking that day, about 70 yrs old, and took him up the road a couple hundred miles. He could tell that something heavy was going on in my thoughts. He enjoyed the tunes as well. Another Band fan!! At least he was by the time that he got out of my truck!! ;^>)

Take care,

moose eater

Last edited:
what up

Whenever i listen to The Band while driving i always arrive my destination with a hoarse voice from singing along. My favorites from that box set are...

Aint no more cain on the brazos

We can talk

Chest fever (prolly my favorite song, almost bent my mind listening to this one wearing headphones and a head full of shrooms)

Slippin and slidin live (i like their voices in this one, makes me laugh)

Look out cleveland live

Dont do it (live rock of ages) sick vocals and drums with horns

Last edited:
G

>>>Aint no more cain on the brazos<<<

Definitely!!

And 'Daniel and the Sacred Harp.'

-'When I Paint My Masterpiece'

-Caledonia Mission'

Too many to have a favorite, though some still stop me in my tracks as I mentioned with 'It Makes No Difference'

'Acadian Driftwood' reminds me so much of searching for external sources of freedom and acceptance. Driving through N. Carolina or Wyoming, "Better keep movin' on...." ;^>) Acceptance of Post apocalyptic searching in order to simply be.

'Makes No Difference' reminds me of losses of places and people loved, and that it's all rear-view, that they'll never be the same. Can't go backwards in time. Terminalness of the 'then.' Acceptance of now, but with a bitter-sweetness. Getting over serious heart-break, whether loss of a dream/vision, a generation, a family, etc. Crying and screaming the blues in order to bounce back up.

Inspired stuff they did back then.

moose eater

Last edited:
V

vonforne

And another guy who recieved fame from playing with Deep Purple. David Coverdale.....later of whitesnake. Glenn Hughs played bass then and sang with David.

Before i became so obsessed with The Band, my favorite was lynyryd skynyryd. They have so many good songs out there for a band that didnt last all that long (original members that is). Some of my favorites

Comming home

Four walls of rayford (sick dobro playing)

T is for Texas

Trust

of course Freebird (live in atlanta)

yeah man, I may be from up north, but i got the soul of a good ole boy. Rock on

***theres a great version of caledonia mission on Rock of ages. Im sure you already know it M.E. but thats my fav version of that song

Last edited:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
ScorpiokinG said:
I'm still on my kick of listening to primarily one group, The Band. One of, if not the most talented band ive heard. They could play 18 instruments between them and had three really good singers. If your interested in classic american music search out "music from big pink" or "Rock of ages".

*** couple more worth mentioning that i dont think i saw on here yet.

Cream and of course, bob dylan

..."the night..they drove old dixie..down"....my favorite...

..next stop?...I recommend...QuickSilver Messenger Sevice..."what[you gonna do] about me?"

G

>>>QuickSilver Messenger Sevice<<<

!!!!!!

"oooooooooo, ... have a little hit...... of clean air...."

moose eater

Last edited:
G

Surely someone remembers 'Joy of Cooking'?

Folk boogie band. Good stuff too. Combination of electric and accoustic with gobs of audible piano stroking.

And what about Carol king and JT/James Taylor.

Steamroller Blues? Sweet Baby James? And his little-known album 'Flag' that was absolutely a bit of a different sound for him in many ways, with some serious nice electric additions... including the Beatle's 'Day Tripper.'

moose eater

Last edited:

mtnjohn

Veteran
vonforne said:
Richie Blackmore....played with Deep Purple, Rainbow and no one mentioned him. One of the Greatest.
Slade...the first Glam band
MC5
New york Dolls
always liked the rainbow "rising" lp back in the day..rjd singing , that little man
has one hell of a voice

G

John Sebastian and The Lovin' Spoonful

'What a Day for a Daydream'

'Rainbows and Butterflies All Over Your Blues'

'I Had a Dream Last Night'

Take care, all.

moose eater

Last edited:

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
ill say it again after seeing all these responses. Buffalo Springfield. early neil and steven stills stuff. possibly the best

the band rocks too. king harvest has surely come has got to be one of my favourite songs...
corn in the fields
listen to the rice as the wind blows acrosss the water
king harvest has surely come

Latest posts

Latest posts