What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk music.

G

The Who... Yardbirds... Blind Faith.. The Byrds... Buffalo Sprinfield... Van Morrison... The Doors... how about... Wishbone Ash... Santana... Vanilla Fudge...

Old school... going back if were got some John Lee Hooker... we better have some Robert Johnson too.

StayHigh149

This is awesome!! I haven't heard of alot of these groups b4 & that's the type of stuff that I wanna dig up. This is gonna be interesting.....

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
..."rebellious vietnam era"..music..

..."rebellious vietnam era"..music..

...Oh... why. didn't you say so...You want the soundtrack...from "Easy Rider"..

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
im sorry, but......

im sorry, but......

how could this have gone 4 pages
and im the only one who notes GD?

is it because they are a GIVEN? they influenced everyone from the beatles to sublime

the grateful dead invented the genre of acid rock and are the original jam band.

the grateful dead are all i need!!!!

do yourself a favor and check out em out :)
they even offer ALL the shows ever performed
(more than any other group in history, mind you)
for FREE. none of the others mentioned did it truly for the love.
GD and a few select others allowed for audience taping/trading at their shows

you can download any show from 1966-now free and legally on www.archive.org

i linked to gdradio earlier, and if you are new to GD, i suggest you turn that on!
the dude who runs the site/stream (john) is an awesome person, and knows his dead :rasta:

give the boys a chance :) smoke a fat doob of your best sativa,
and let uncle john take care of the playlist for ya :) www.gdradio.net

Last edited:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
:joint: ...want to hear a group..better..than Hendix?...Chambers Brothers...Time Has Come Today...but you have to be Stoned..or it might not work..it was a requirement..back then... :joint:

G

>>>Chambers Brothers...Time Has Come Today...<<<

One of many true classics!!

moose eater

Last edited:

geezeressa

Hey Ethereal, we should start a DeadHeadThread..I'm sure there are a lot of old Heads here. That's music that will make you feel better right away (a nice Sativa helps as well :smile:). I do miss Jerry though, nearly every day.

I listen to a lot of classical music..mostly early stuff from 14th-17th century, but I also love Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Mahler etc. In his book Phil Lesh (from the Dead) talks about the first time he got stoned...and was listening to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", which is an incredible piece of music.

I'm still on my kick of listening to primarily one group, The Band. One of, if not the most talented band ive heard. They could play 18 instruments between them and had three really good singers. If your interested in classic american music search out "music from big pink" or "Rock of ages".

*** couple more worth mentioning that i dont think i saw on here yet.

Cream and of course, bob dylan

Last edited:
V

vonforne

No one said Marshell Tucker, Alvin Lee, Richie Havens, Bauchman, Turner Overdrive but you did mention him in the Guess Who,

StayHigh149

Only song I've heard from Richie Havens was the one on the Woodstock soundtrack & it was powerful! Do u know any other songs of his?

G

Saw Marshall Tucker in the mid-70s, and again last year. Good folks. Good show and talent. Definitely supporters of 'the cause.'

Richie Havens did quite a number of Lp's, and did a whole lot of cover tunes on them. Dylan, Beatles, Joe Cocker and others all have tunes done by Richie Havens. Some very nice listening.

I was listening to some older Elton John tonight; pre- 'Good-bye Yellow Brick Road' stuff. The 'Madman Across the Water' Lp is someting that deserves metaphysical status, in my opinion.. Just heard 'Tiny Dancer' on the radio a bit ago too; an old stand-by, hitch-hiking musical theme.

Hendrix was on the box tonight as well; 'Hey Joe,' which is almost always best followed by 'The Wind Cries Mary,' 'Little Wing,' from 'Axis Bold As Love,' and 'Hey, Baby' off of the Rainbow Bridge Lp.

Ahhh... Nostalgia-ville.... :joint:

Rick Danko singing lead for The Band on 'It Makes No Difference' still wads my heart into a ball, and leaves me speechless. (Hard to imagine, huh?.... Me... Speechless....)

moose eater

Last edited:
hell yeah moose eater! Danko rules

I always look at these music threads and maybe see one other fan of The Band. Now I know i was just going into the wrong sub forums. Old stoners know the real music.

G

He and Levon Helm were/are two of the most personable and lovable members of The Band.

Levon Helm's still rockin', doing shows in his barn on a limited-tickets basis. Down home rock-a-billy and jamming in New York. Google it.

I believe that Rick Danko just died last year. :badday:

The day that Jerry Garcia died, and the date of 'The Last Waltz,' were, in their own ways, two of the saddest days in terms of an era closing the proverbial curtain.

Robbie Robertson, despite some of the ego-shit that went on, was incredible as well.

Garth Hudson; a tragic lovable fellow. What a sound when combining Jack Daniels with a Hammond B-3!!

Richard Manuel; a sad case of persons too gentle to continue onward. :badday:

Sitting at a bar in the Yukon Territory in '77-'78, just off the Alaska Hwy, and seeing someone with a bandolier of harmonicas, doing "Up On Cripple Creek' with accoustic guitar and piano accompaniment!! How timely in that setting. ;^>)

Long live The Band!!

moose eater

Last edited:
V

vonforne

Richie Blackmore....played with Deep Purple, Rainbow and no one mentioned him. One of the Greatest.
Slade...the first Glam band
MC5
New york Dolls

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hey guys, hi moose eater,

Excellent bands all around. I'm impressed. The Band rocks and sweet Danko is singing in my head right now. I love his bass playing as well.

Neil is the granddy of grunge fer sure. I saw him play with CSN recently and that was the angriest 60+year old guitar player I ever heard...made me weep, it was so good. Ol Blackie...mmmm good. Neil makes me proud to be alive.

May I offer up Frank Zappa for a veritable feast of crazy ass incredible music. His discography is definitely a big meal.:yummy:

I'd also like to suggest Widespread Panic for a truly excellent and groovin' band. Not exactly from the day, though...

Sounds like we need an IC radio music show here to listen to while we thread...members can put in requests.

Take care everyone and good tunz to all.

Latest posts

Latest posts