What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's see and hear about your sick plants!!

Spaventa

Veteran
I'm sure you're right. I'll deactivate 'panic mode' and trim the sickest leaves.

Theres only three possible issues with feeding that result in Nitrogen deficiency that I know of - 1. not giving them enough N, 2. giving to much of something else and locking N out and 3. Ph too low.

It definitely isn't that you never gave them enough, you told us you gave them high N and saw worsening.

Its definitely isn't 2. because your plants haven't been alive the time it takes to get to toxicity, lockout and into deficiency.

If you know your ph is in range now, I think your good.

NENugger

Panama: strong plant but leaves curling down and spotted

Panama: strong plant but leaves curling down and spotted

Using FFOF, some suggested nutrient burn. Not feeding. Just water and humic acid. Really want this baby to pull out of it.

All suggestions wanted

picture.php

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Temps?
Ph and ec of your water?

There are a couple things happening in that picture. Got a pic not under the LED?

NENugger

thanks bsgospel here are pics. Don't know about ec. ph around 6.2 last check . will take again soon. Temps 70 - 74 F
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

last pic Banghi Haze on rt and small Queen Mother bottom left. same environment water etc..

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Have this month and a half old Golden Tiger x Old Timer's Haze that needs some help.

Looks to me like I might be frying her and the pH may be out of wack.

My pH pen is old but I'm gonna order a new one today.

Thanks for looking at her..

Sun-Light

white stuff

white stuff

can you identify this white and a course of action? this is like dried white liquid, not fuzzy. but it does mostly, 80%, smear off with rubbing. it's not bird/insect waste, positive. it rained hard for 2 days, when wet it disappears to eye sight but when leaves dry can again be clearly seen. doesn't look like last year's powdery mildew. showed pics/sample leaf to 2 grow stores and one master gardener in a nursery, all say they don't think it's powdery milder or downy mildew. plants started indoors, 9 weeks, no problems except ca mq deficiency because i never fertilized indoor soil because thought the soil was good enough to support. so i had a bunch of brown spots and brown edges on leaves. i put the plants outdoors may 29, we had no rain, 70F to 83 day, 46F to 50 night. in high quality premium outdoor soil G&B. the white started to show up about june 5 and is increasing daily on all plants. indoors all plants were touching each other, outdoors separated. (master gardener says it looks like some fungus but has no idea. she told me to look for gray color on the leaf underside.) i water hosed middle image to see if it would wash away for good but didn't. i think that's why it looks more spotty than the others.

thank you for any advice!

Dirt Bag

W.T.F.? over:

W.T.F.? over:

DIRT BAG'S TWO ROOM GROW

ROOM #1: VEG
Sealed and Air-conditioned to 79°F 60% rH +/-
1 Oscillating fan

MOTHERS:
5 gallon buckets of soil / hand fed
under 8 x 4' T5 HO 6500K 24/7
  1. Bigbud
  2. Sour Diesel
  3. Blue Cheese
  4. White Widow XTRM
CLONES: 14 - 21 days
TWO 28-Site DIY Aeroponic cloners use *plain water @ 6.0pH
under 1 x 2' T12 Phillips® plant light 24/7

VEG STAGE
Hydrofarm Mega Garden® ebb&flow table
under One 250w CFL 6500K Grow Light 24/7
  • 16 - 5"x5"x7"h pots
  • Growstone and Hydroton mixed 3 to 1, respectively
  • 9 gallon reservoir (78°F)
  • Vertigro® nutrients which is 6-12-28 (base) and 15-0-0 (calcium nitrate) powder concentrates mixed according to the directions and used at 1 oz each per gallon of water (RO)
  • Superthive: 1 tsp/reservoir - AWESOME
  • DIY Clear Rez® 6ml/gal every 7 days
This equates to approximately 1100ppm. This seems high for freshly potted clones coming from *plain water, but they thrive like nothing I've seen. From 3-5 inch cutting to 12" robust girl with 8-10" fans in 2 weeks. (I think it's the Superthive)
Flooded every 3 hours for 10 minutes.

*Plain water = 7 parts RO water and 1 part tap water
(our tap water is 250ppm, 7.8pH, contains chloromines and buffers making pH nearly impossible to adjust. But without them would contain life threatening contaminates)

⬆️⬆️⬆️EVERYTHING ABOVE HERE IS PERFECT ⬆️⬆️⬆️

ROOM #2: FLOWERING
Sealed and Air-conditioned to 79°F(day)/70°F(night) with 45-50% rH (dehumidifier)
4 oscillating fans
Sentinel® PROPANE CO2 GENERATOR @ 1500ppm (day only)
All controlled by Sentinel® Atmospheric Controller.
WEEKS 1 - 2
2' x 4' Botanicare Ebb&flow table with 35 gallon reservoir (75°F) also 16" air diffuser ring fed by 650cfm pump and a chiller attached but hasn't been needed. AC seems to keep it just right.
under 1 Kind® 600 LED Grow Light
fed General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients @ 5ml/gallon each and 3ml/gallon Botanicare Calmag Plus® @ 5.8pH
Flooded every 3 hours for 10 minutes (day only)
HERE is where trouble begins:
First the beautiful roots that grow from the bottom of the pots in veg stage dry out when moved to here. There's more space between pots, and brighter light.
In the next few days they darken, then begin to twist or contort slightly. The petioles become purple and the leaf tissue between veins starts to lighten and decay.
20180612_093915.jpg
I attributed this to the increased light intensity and have begun to cover them with a cotton sheet, removing it a little later each day. This has definitely helped, but the problem persists once moved to the final table.
WEEKS 3 - HARVEST
4' x 8' Botanicare ebb&flow table with 100 gallon reservoir (74°F)
under THREE hooded and vented Eye Hortilux 1000w HIDs (2 HPS, 1 MH)
fed General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients in RO @
  • 5ml/gal MICRO
  • 2.5ml/gal GROW
  • 7.5ml/gal BLOOM
  • 3ml/gal LIQUID KOOL BLOOM
  • 3ml/gal CALMAG
  • 6ml/gal CLEAR REZ once a week
This ends up around 800ppm
Flooded every 3 hours for 15 minutes (day only)

Change solution every 2 weeks and run a full reservoir of RO with 5ml/gal Flora Kleen in between.
Yet this: 20180612_093859.jpg
And this: 20180612_093829.jpg
I have checked the light intensity with a digital meter and it is well within acceptable limits.
SO WHY ARE MY LEAVES DYING AROUND WEEK 4-6!? THIS SYSTEM IS ONE WHITE SMOCK AWAY FROM BEING A LABORATORY! I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF....

Things it might be:​
(please, feel free to add to or narrow down this list)​
  • Growstone accumulating salts that aren't being removed from flushing or washing between crops. Dunno. It's newish. Not a lot of quality information on it out there.
  • Pots are too small for the plant size. Doubtful. Have seen many 2' plants in 5 inch pots and roots seem healthy and full but not packed.
  • Too dry/cool/warm/ with the added co2? What's perfect? Is mine?
  • Light burn. 99.99% sure the HIDs aren't burning them @ almost 3 feet above the canopy but could it be long term, slow developing light/uv burn from the LED? Like cancer, forms long after exposure? In this case a couple of weeks.. This I am not sure. Would adding Hortilux power veg or some other uv light in veg remedy it?
  • Are General Hydroponics nutes too harsh at 800ppm? Hardly seems possible as they just came from 1100ppm and were thrilled. It's surely not too little nutes... Right? ��
  • The wrong ratio? Is there a best ratio? D'Amdephyno.
PLEASE HELP!​

UPDATE: to address the drying roots I have increased the number of flood cycles in the 2x4 table and though a different strain (White Widow XTRM from AMS), it was displaying the same symptoms described earlier, as in every other strain to varying degrees (all bad), has responded in the most positive way, lush healthy growth. Too much. This shit has way more than doubled in... what, 10 days!? The roots that hadn't shriveled and died in the initial few days are now alive again and healthy looking.
So.... The big question.... Is the problem I'm having that looks like light burn/nute burn just too few floods?! There's one sure way to find out!

Stay tuned for the results, coming up after a word from our sponsors.

Last edited:

Dirt Bag

Underwatering

Underwatering

I didn't believe it, but it's true. Underwatering is a thing. It mimics nearly every other problem. I'm not talking about Underwatering to the point of wilt. No, that's too obvious. The kind I'm referring to is slight underwatering... and it has devastating consequences. Mostly because it looks like nutrient burn, light burn, salt buildup, excessive heat, low humidity, and poor pH. Because in essence, it is these things.
Soil growing had me fearing overwatering. But now the growstone website has better information on its use and one fact that stands out above all others is that growstone cannot be over watered. With proper circulation for oxygenation growstone can be continuously flooded. It's unique properties allow it to retain ample oxygen at the root zone without any fear of rot or overwatering.
I increased the floods to every other hour. Problem solved, and it only took 3 years.

Bagseed68

Only affecting 1 strain...so far.

Only affecting 1 strain...so far.

Hey all you Cannabis MD's, I need a little assistance on identifying the cause of these brown splotches.
I am using LC's mix #1. (I chose this because Burn1 said it was simple, just add water and let it go and he seems to know his shit.) Every ingredient was measured out to the T except instead of Maxicrop I used RAW humic acid. I let sit for 10-12 days before transplanting from the clone tray to solo cups, cups to 1g pots, 1g, to 3g. Of the 4 strains I'm growing only 1(a CBD called Loganberry Whistlestop) is suffering. The rest of the girls love it. I water with a bat guano/EWC/Molasses tea every 3rd watering and tap water that has been bubbled for a min of 24 hrs. the rest. Temps are slightly high 78-83 day, 72-75 night and humidity is constantly between 38 and52%.
I noticed one or 2 little rust colored spots last night and this is what I found this morning. At this rate the plant will be dead in 2-3 days! (I also just noticed a couple spots on a new strain - Sherbet? - that my son procured from somewhere.)
Could anyone identify what may be causing this and point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20180628_130821.jpg
    20180628_130821.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180628_125557.jpg
    20180628_125557.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180628_125535.jpg
    20180628_125535.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 13

Dirt Bag

I really wish someone would chime in with some kind of definitive answer as to what causes this type of thing. It plagues me. It's the only issue I haven't been able to overcome. I'm still getting it on certain strains. I really don't think anyone really knows. Maybe it's genetic.

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Why do these leaves crinkle?
This is clone that came from a bag seed of some green bud with purple specks ( supposedly purple Kush, but who knows). When grown out, sometimes it has these crinkles, sometimes not. When it blooms the buds are completely purple, while only the leaves closest to buds are purple and they change to green if they grow big enough. Most of the time in bloom the leaves sorta spiral clockwise when looking straight down as a bird views.
picture.php

Dirt Bag

Why do these leaves crinkle?
This is clone that came from a bag seed of some green bud with purple specks ( supposedly purple Kush, but who knows). When grown out, sometimes it has these crinkles, sometimes not. When it blooms the buds are completely purple, while only the leaves closest to buds are purple and they change to green if they grow big enough. Most of the time in bloom the leaves sorta spiral clockwise when looking straight down as a bird views.
View Image

If it's happening from clone to clone in different medias it's most likely a genetic mutation and is how new strains (or even species) are born.

If it's happening from clone to clone in different medias it's most likely a genetic mutation and is how new strains (or even species) are born.

Yeah, i've noticed this with several clones. GG#4 is pretty infamous for having the "twisted leave feature" which is noticed in my cut of it. I'm assuming it doesn't do any harm to the plant and i noticed once they going good size, it mostly disappears.

ColaCalyx

Heat stress or?

Heat stress or?

This is just a mystery to me, I am not worried at all, I know the plant will finish and nicely too, I am just stumped and want to hear what it might be.
I am no stranger to heat stressed plants - I grow outdoors with summers that routinely reach 100+.
Early this month there was a heat wave with a max temperature of 114F. All the plants in my garden had some burnt leaves. My C99 got the worst of it. All the plants display 'taco leaves' when it gets very hot, but that readily disappears when the heat goes down or I water or spray them with water. Except the C99. Even when watered and sprayed down her leaves remain fixed in this position.
I thought it could be a possible magnesium deficiency, so I have been feeding sul-po-mag (I do anyway during transition and flower) regularly for 2 weeks topdressed as part of a dry mix and as part of a tea. I usually feed with topdresses or teas once a week and up it a bit during the stretch and flower. Nothing changes with the leaves. Is she sensitive to my fertilization (dry organic meals, fish hydrolysate, guano, all organic etc..)? She looks very healthy otherwise, and is laying down a ton of bud sites.

Attachments

• 20180730_120139.jpg
    20180730_120139.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180730_120019.jpg
    20180730_120019.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180730_120102.jpg
    20180730_120102.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180730_120023.jpg
    20180730_120023.jpg