What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LET'S CLONE IN DIRT, WTF!

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most excellent!

After trying quite a few methods i am happiest with LC's#1 coco mix that is my usual indoor mix. I do use gel with a little aspirin or willow soak plus seasol.

Nature knows what to do :smoke:

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Most excellent!

After trying quite a few methods i am happiest with LC's#1 coco mix that is my usual indoor mix. I do use gel with a little aspirin or willow soak plus seasol.

Nature knows what to do :smoke:

I've read that willow has properties that encourage roots to form, not sure what the active ingredient is though. It probably explains why willows are such a pest on our waterways. Willow has the ability to layer itself very easily. A branch touching dirt will quickly form roots and a new plant is born. See my pic on page 1 of this thread.

I also use Seasol seaweed extract. I usually water my clones with it after 7 days and it promotes strong root growth. I'm on track to getting a 100% strike rate in 14 days with no clonex, no bottom heat, no special propogating medium, no secrets....just a stable environment.

High Country

Veteran
11 DAYS, THE CLONES ARE GROWING

11 DAYS, THE CLONES ARE GROWING

11 days since taking the clones and they have all begun growing.

FAN LEAVES SPREADING OUT, RAPID GROWTH STARTING

picture.php

Multiple roots now appearing at the base of the Hiko tray. I expect to see roots coming out of the base of every cell in a few days.

40 HEALTHY LITTLE CLONES

picture.php

These Hiko trays are excellent to use for seed or clones. They can stay in here for a couple more weeks and get nice and strong. If I wanted to I could put the tray in a small backpack, head out into the bush, dig 40 holes, push the clones out and into the holes they go. Minimal transplant shock and they're up and running..

Let's clone in dirt.

High Country

Veteran
THE MUMS, POST CLONE MASSACRE

THE MUMS, POST CLONE MASSACRE

Nearly 2 weeks since the mums were hacked to bits. So what are the little indica girls looking like now.

SHORT AND FAT, LOT'S OF NEW CLONE SITES

picture.php

VERY DENSE GROWTH, TYPICAL OF THIS STRAIN

picture.php

Give the clones a couple more days and they're done. 40 rooted clones in 14 days in dirt.

High Country

Veteran
14 DAYS, 40 ROOTED CLONES IN DIRT

14 DAYS, 40 ROOTED CLONES IN DIRT

That's right. 100% strike rate. 40 out of 40 clones have roots.

HEALTHY WHITE ROOTS

picture.php

STANDING STRAIGHT AND READY FOR ACTION

picture.php

40 HEALTHY CLONES

picture.php

So there you go, cloning doesn't get much more basic than this. No clonex, no bottom heat, simple potting mix and a STABLE AIR TEMP OF ABOUT 24C OR 75F.

Who needs complicated cloning systems, you don't.

Now, what can I do with this lot?

Let's clone in dirt!

High Country

Veteran
top job HC :)

the strain that just keeps on giving ;)

Good on ya shroomy, yes it is a very reliable strain and that may help. But I still can't understand why some people have problems with producing healthy clones. I can do the same with just about any plant. I have mainly built my own outdoor garden from plants I have cloned, it's certainly cheaper.

Cloning is not rocket science. No need to complicate the process. It's been going on for thousands of years without aero cloners or clonex.

Keep the environment stable and 14 days later you'll have roots, in this species anyway.

Cheers.

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
Love your work HC, and some people doubted yoiur style.
I personally love it, nature knows best i guess to an extent :D.

Peace.

High Country

Veteran
Love your work HC, and some people doubted yoiur style.
I personally love it, nature knows best i guess to an extent :D.

Peace.

There will always be doubters Afro, why? - cos they haven't tried it? Or for some reason refuse to accept it.

If you don't have a go, you'll never know.

That's why I like to see people try different things on this site, some work, some don't.

Who cares, it's good to see imagination and experimentation at work.

High Country

Veteran
16 DAYS, ALL CLONES RE-POTTED

16 DAYS, ALL CLONES RE-POTTED

I decided to re-pot these clones before things got out of control.

THIS IS HOW THEY COME OUT OF THE HIKO TRAY

picture.php

RE-POTTED AND 40 CLONES ARE ON THE GO

picture.php

Not sure what I'm going to do with this mob of indica girls, time will tell.

Last edited:

devilgoob

Veteran
No clones lost. No rooting hormones. No perlite. No heating. Not just a few hairs, a full root system.

Your system takes advantage of what I think it tap-rooting. The water drains toward the bottom and the plant grows down, strikes and then does lateral rooting!

High Country

Veteran
No clones lost. No rooting hormones. No perlite. No heating. Not just a few hairs, a full root system.

Your system takes advantage of what I think it tap-rooting. The water drains toward the bottom and the plant grows down, strikes and then does lateral rooting!

I watered the clones after they were put into the dirt, just once to settle the dirt around the stems.

The key thing is a stable air temp, 22C-24C or abiout 75F.

These clones forrmed roots just as quick as any other method using clonex, heat mats and the like.

Every single one put out roots, 100% strike rate.

Pretty simple isn't it.

Thanks for your observations.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi everybody

High Country, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

I use a very similar method for clonning fig trees very successfully. But as I am very shabby and stingy I use transparent plastic bags in order to keep high humidity.

I will try with my Sumatran Tuk-Tuk female that I am trying to clone now just in plain water.

Thank you.

Best Regards.

Latest posts

Latest posts