What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LET'S CLONE IN DIRT, WTF!

one Q

Quality
Veteran
you should look at DrGreenbud and his high density sog threads. He also has a mom/dad veg cab... talk about MICRO BONSAI MOMS... talking 4" pots and getting loads of clones... tiny ones tho

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
you should look at DrGreenbud and his high density sog threads. He also has a mom/dad veg cab... talk about MICRO BONSAI MOMS... talking 4" pots and getting loads of clones... tiny ones tho

I couldn't find any of his threads but his name has been mentioned by others. I believe he grew small SOG's using CFLS. I only use CFLS for cloning.

The idea of small bonsai mums is appealing. If done correctly a large amount of clones can be obtained from quite a small plant and a large number of mums are not required. The clones may be small but I have found they have a better chance of survival if kept small and well trimmed, just ask FreezerBoy.

My mums are currently in 8" pots and I will keep them in those. They may require root pruning at a later stage. As I tend to favour single cola SOG's I need a lot of clones, not just 1 or 2. I haven't done a SOG for a while and only really grow when the supplies are getting low. I don't sell the shit so one grow lasts quite some time.

If these dirt clones take off I might consider a SOG in dirt. I'll put 36 clones in pots resting on my 3x3 ebb/flow table. Probably have to hand water them and let the run off drain to the hydro res tank. Might be a bit messy. Under 1000W of course. We'll just have to wait and see.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
When I saw his methods it sort of shocked me. At the time, it went against everything I knew...

I mentioned his thread, not for you to mimic is grow style but just to show what is in the realm of possible. I find that when I see what's possible, i can tweek this to formulate what I need for my grows.

DrBuds Bonsai Mum Thread

High Country

Veteran
When I saw his methods it sort of shocked me. At the time, it went against everything I knew...

I mentioned his thread, not for you to mimic is grow style but just to show what is in the realm of possible. I find that when I see what's possible, i can tweek this to formulate what I need for my grows.

DrBuds Bonsai Mum Thread

Thanks for the link one Q, DrBuds mums and clones really are bonsai. My mums are probably to big to really be considered bonsai so if I have any spare clones I will try for a real bonsai mum. This will probably require aggressive topping and training, something I will have to do with my current mums.

Cheers.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
the way I see it is if he keeps his grow stocked with TINY moms n clones then Small mums can hold their own... they still put out 4" cuts even in a Quart sized pot. The only moms that get "big" pots, 1gal, are ones I want to get into "production mode." The plants that are required to give many 4" cuts at a time.

westg

ICMag Donor
KOG A GROWERS LOT...I re-read that book every year...any1 know him?...hope he is doing well

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Hey again High Country...

I used plain old dirt for a long time. My strike rate wasn't the greatest back then but most cuttings usually did take. I can think of several times when I tossed cups with cuttings that looked near dead and had em take off in my compost pile.

Ain't nothing wrong with good old mother earth for propagation. But I for 1 have far greater success using a wick, bubble or aero-cloner and they are all way faster.

Sending the best of luck to your new cuttings buddy.

High Country

Veteran
Hey again High Country...

I used plain old dirt for a long time. My strike rate wasn't the greatest back then but most cuttings usually did take. I can think of several times when I tossed cups with cuttings that looked near dead and had em take off in my compost pile.

Ain't nothing wrong with good old mother earth for propagation. But I for 1 have far greater success using a wick, bubble or aero-cloner and they are all way faster.

Sending the best of luck to your new cuttings buddy.

G'day Stress_test, thanks for dropping by. I normally clone with Clonex, bottom heat and an inert medium like rockwool, sphagnum moss, jiffy plugs or a coco/perlite mix, I've done aero too, all good methods. Pretty reliable methods and able to produce large numbers of clones for SOG's pretty quickly.

I just thought I would try something different and see what happens. So far they look pretty good, time will tell.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I guess I get a little bit anal about every aspect of growing.

Back in the day everybody who cloned done it in dirt ya know. We used Miracle Grow for nutes and whatever we could find for lighting, and nobody knew jack about Ph. Nobody knew much about pests, deficiencies or over feeding.

But over the years and generations of trial and error and growers sharing information the entire concept has evolved. Now we have "plastic" which has boosted technology in every aspect of our lives.

Cavemen threw down their clubs and stones when spears and the bow/arrow was invented and then the Indians tossed those aside when they got their hands on guns because they worked better, faster, and more reliably.

Now I'm not knocking old school in the slightest, and we all know it works. In fact back in the late 70's - early 80's I was "the guy" everybody went to for cloning and I only knew 2 other people who did. I'm just curious why an experienced and knowledgeable grower would toss aside generations of proven technology for a method that is slower, less reliable and more prone to problems.

Don't get me wrong either; I still clone in dirt sometimes when "old school" patients specifically request it. But it does create more work and time.

Cloning in dirt created a lot of ideas that many people still hold to today, like "always cut twice as many clones as you need" and the whole cutting half of the leaves off, and misting.

Now a days I might cut an extra clone or so to fill a cloner, but I can almost always depend on 99% and usually strike 100 using modern techniques and materials.

Cloning in dirt is easy... So easy that a caveman can do it. But why does an experienced grower digress to inferior materials and sacrifice results? I'm stoned but I just can't follow why you would take the long way home when you already know there are better materials and techniques?

High Country

Veteran
I guess I get a little bit anal about every aspect of growing.

Back in the day everybody who cloned done it in dirt ya know. We used Miracle Grow for nutes and whatever we could find for lighting, and nobody knew jack about Ph. Nobody knew much about pests, deficiencies or over feeding.

But over the years and generations of trial and error and growers sharing information the entire concept has evolved. Now we have "plastic" which has boosted technology in every aspect of our lives.

Cavemen threw down their clubs and stones when spears and the bow/arrow was invented and then the Indians tossed those aside when they got their hands on guns because they worked better, faster, and more reliably.

Now I'm not knocking old school in the slightest, and we all know it works. In fact back in the late 70's - early 80's I was "the guy" everybody went to for cloning and I only knew 2 other people who did. I'm just curious why an experienced and knowledgeable grower would toss aside generations of proven technology for a method that is slower, less reliable and more prone to problems.

Don't get me wrong either; I still clone in dirt sometimes when "old school" patients specifically request it. But it does create more work and time.

Cloning in dirt created a lot of ideas that many people still hold to today, like "always cut twice as many clones as you need" and the whole cutting half of the leaves off, and misting.

Now a days I might cut an extra clone or so to fill a cloner, but I can almost always depend on 99% and usually strike 100 using modern techniques and materials.

Cloning in dirt is easy... So easy that a caveman can do it. But why does an experienced grower digress to inferior materials and sacrifice results? I'm stoned but I just can't follow why you would take the long way home when you already know there are better materials and techniques?

I here you, but I love trying different ways of doing things, I can get shit loads of clones in my normal way. I love trying different methods, dirt or hydro. SOG, the best I reckon, colloidal silver...it works. Results are not an issue, it's the pleasure of growing.

sensient

hi guys...haha,old kog,yeah i hear he is doing well,and doing his thing,just got his 10th anivesary copy of his book not long ago.
I remember when i first read his book,was a great read and a great laugh,pitty his growing techniques wern,t a biot more refined,he held some amazing genetics in his old mother sativa
i have cloned in soil before many times,outdoors.i also have a mate who was doing it for years,but now he uses bonsai mix,the pre-packaged stuff,swears by it,and by his results,i am inclined to agree with him!
anyway,good luck with your endevours..sensient

High Country

Veteran
hi guys...haha,old kog,yeah i hear he is doing well,and doing his thing,just got his 10th anivesary copy of his book not long ago.
I remember when i first read his book,was a great read and a great laugh,pitty his growing techniques wern,t a biot more refined,he held some amazing genetics in his old mother sativa
i have cloned in soil before many times,outdoors.i also have a mate who was doing it for years,but now he uses bonsai mix,the pre-packaged stuff,swears by it,and by his results,i am inclined to agree with him!
anyway,good luck with your endevours..sensient

I reckon KOGS grow techniques look pretty sound to me, nice mix of water and nutrients and what appears to be a very solid and reliable indica/sativa cross. Pretty sure he has asian old school sativa in that mix, Thai? Nice. Trippy.

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
many people think that kog was one of the pioneers of OMS... I dont this it the case at all... although I do think that his cross was a very stable plant that produced some very nice colas... would have love to seen it grown indoors with everything just perfect :)

High Country

Veteran
many people think that kog was one of the pioneers of OMS... I dont this it the case at all... although I do think that his cross was a very stable plant that produced some very nice colas... would have love to seen it grown indoors with everything just perfect :)

Who knows what he's growimg but it looks like good shit, definately a high percentage of sativa. They appear to grow pretty big so looks like a good outdoor plant which he has proven. I love shit like this but I'm sticking to indica.....hashish.

Latest posts

Latest posts