What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LEO Article on Thermal Imaging

PDO

if you got a 3x3 or something along those lines and your not drawing attention to your self then your good. it is expensive equipment but if its needed they'll find a way to pay for it. when it comes to commercial grows its a totally different ball game, they'll spare no expense to get you, even using ir with out a warrant. they dont care if the case gets dismissed theyve siezed your equipment your gear you have to pay for an attourney ect. just be careful and if you have a commercial grow you shouldnt be on the boards talking about it just my 2 cents.

B

British_Bulldog

m@rg said:
UK ...WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Yeah, I'd say the UK has a problem with FLIR - I had this f*cker dog me for a month after successfully capturing a clean image of a large grow:

11015pigs2.jpg

Have your wits about you!

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
There are several products available that block thermal imaging and its not that expensive.

Hmmmm, I wonder what this anti-scanners device does.. [click]

.. oops.

Scanners.gif

ExEcutioner

British_Bulldog said:
Yeah, I'd say the UK has a problem with FLIR - I had this f*cker dog me for a month after successfully capturing a clean image of a large grow:

11015pigs2.jpg

Have your wits about you!

Yea ive been reading this thread for a long time and BB and Art know exactly what they are taking about.

Some people live in the middle of bumble fuck-as they would call it. and some live in the city- or a city where the ghetto bird flies all day and night.

The argument is stupid because people are arguing over differences because of where they live. Some people don't need to worry about choppers some do :bashhead: :joint:

green_tea

I will say this once and only once:

FLIR CAN ONLY MEASURE THE SURFACE TEMPERATURE OF STRUCTURES

That means if you correctly exhaust your vent system so that the air is going directly outside ant not being blown on siding, tree branches near by, the ground, etc etc... they cannot see it.

If you put your grow in a tent, or you build a room within a room for it, they cannot see any heat from that growroom, except any poorly exhausted ventilation.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
there was a link on the overgrow faq about exhausting into the sewer. granted, not the safest or easiest to do, but once done seems effective

U

ureapwhatusow

google polyshield

they have demos of product at the site

Last edited:

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
there was a product that was Czechoslovakian in origin. went by the name of c3 anti-detection film. that is the real deal shit. the usa bans its use tho since it too closely resembles what the military uses, therefore off-limits to public sector...

MattHatter

Bud Meister said:
There are several products available that block thermal imaging and its not that expensive.

Like what? You have any links of stuff that really works, or are you just wearing a spaghetti strainer on your head blocking FLIR and alien brain waves?

EasyBakeIndica said:
"The Oakland County Sheriff's Department released video footage of a helicopter flyover of a home in Hamburg Township. Authorities said they discovered a marijuana grow operation in the home.

The video shows the helicopter's infared zeroing in on vents in the home."

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2008/05/video_police_release_tape_of_f.html
When they flew around the tree they did not see through it (Heat Sig)or even in front of the house. Interesting...Nothing from the lights in the house.

:rasta:

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
that looked like a straight vent from hot exhaust. maybe if hot exhaust was dispersed or cooled with other air brought in (like hot exhaust and fresh air both merged with a y connector) then the heat would not be noticeable?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
EasyBakeIndica said:
"The Oakland County Sheriff's Department released video footage of a helicopter flyover of a home in Hamburg Township. Authorities said they discovered a marijuana grow operation in the home.

The video shows the helicopter's infared zeroing in on vents in the home."

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2008/05/video_police_release_tape_of_f.html
thats a sickass video its nice to get some reverse-recon done.
i already have temp masking ideas, NICE clip!!!

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
EasyBakeIndica said:
That's exactly the attitude I hoped growers would have after seeing this!

:rasta:

They don't call it a game for nothing.

hey man, it seams like none of us are trying to hurt anyone, just our way of getting by isnt so accepted, it seams only prudent to gather, collect, and share data on them they do it to US :dueling:

i happen to have an attic im using to dump heat into... im thinking that having 'attic fans' (heavy duity temp controlled fan on the vent port) will cool the attic down. not taking the ducting to the roof is also a decent idea, the heat spreads...

im guessing that house's vent wasnt a vent,

but rather the location the exhaust hit the roof on the inside[of the attic].

also i have an idea about running an 8" inside a 10" (or a 10" inside a 12")to allow for heat disapation of the exhaust heat, in the attic, before it reaches the exhaust hole/vent/side/wall. if the whole attic is more consistant in temp there wont be any 'white glowing dots'. :dueling:

im really worried about how they suspected it was a grow-op. arnt people allowed to use the oven? maybe it was the water-heater exhaust. dryer vent? ...... im sure someone was tiped on where to look. :asskick:

:rasta: DH

green_tea

dontstepongrass said:
that looked like a straight vent from hot exhaust. maybe if hot exhaust was dispersed or cooled with other air brought in (like hot exhaust and fresh air both merged with a y connector) then the heat would not be noticeable?

you are looking at the image wrong.

remember FLIR measures thermal radiation from surfaces. THATS IT. It CANNOT measure the temperature of AIR.

the reason that is so bright is because the guys exhaust is just attached to the roof, with nothing over it, or anything insulating it from the roof itself.

as the hot air gets pushed out, the roof around the hole starts getting warmer. if you are pushing out 100degree air for 12 hrs a day, the roof surrounding the exhaust is going to raise in temperature.

Also, keep in mind (can someone verify this for me, ive never tested it myself, but laws of physics wise its sound) metal on its own is very ineffective at holding temperature...

for example make a vent shaft out of aluminum foil. put that in the oven at 350 for like 10 minutes... take it out... you can practically touch that piece instantly, because it cooled down so fast and because it just never really absorbed much thermal energy to begin with.

Same with metal. the big problem A LOT of people do is that they put one of those dissipation hoods on their exhaust vent.

WRONG IDEA! that thing just makes the hot air exhaust down and around your roof, again adding more heat to it!

EDIT: I like the polyshield video. The one thing they forgot to cover was venting. if you do the polyshield thing, remember to make SURE your vent does NOT WHATSOEVER have the hot exhaust air venting out onto any object. (tree branch, your roof, dont put an exhaust vent in the ground around your garden, etc etc)

that stuff will keep your grow room thats like 10-50+ degrees warmer than the rest of your house (at night) off their cameras, but it still doesn't help you if you vent your hot air like a retard.

Last edited: