What's new

LED Lab 2009

Nice Weeze! Hope you crack the streeeeeetch code!
Meanwhile...
Over @ the Hubble 420...
I am doing no veg approach, keeping em small, and packing them tight. Seems to work, little stretching, heres a venti bud-ka-bob for ya, with thick, tight, trich covered 21st century dank!
Warm whites are adding more bio-mass than neutrals did, thicker more compact buds. This one has a week of flushing left.

Oldmac

Note that the fr source is in a reflector made by "Acme"
I figure, if it's good enough for Wile E Coyote, what could possible go wrong?:D
Wee Zard

Hello Weezard,

Can you talk to "Acme" and see if they can make some hi-power diodes....I think that just might be the answer to this LED deal.
Oh, by the way.....LEDs don't work. LOL

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
E como mai! O. M.

E como mai! O. M.

Hello Weezard,

Can you talk to "Acme" and see if they can make some hi-power diodes....I think that just might be the answer to this LED deal.
Oh, by the way.....LEDs don't work. LOL

Great to see you here!
:woohoo:Ol' Mac is in da house!

Well! That's a fine kettle-o-fish!
Now ya tell me.

I was doing great when I though they DID work.

Drat! now that I know they don't, I'm screwed, yah?

<sigh> Watchin' dem fat juicy buds shrink and pissadear's enough to make a grown man weep.:badday:

Thanks fo' da head's up, 'fore I wasted anymore time on it.:deadhorse

Hey folks, meet Old Mac.

Good man to know.
If ya plan to grow.

High regards,
Weezard

Some micro sog, no veg, bud-ka-bobs, drbudgreengenes style I am doing 25 of these under 160 watts of leds.
I will dry weigh them but I guess they are 5-7 gr each x 25 = 175 grams. Should be slightly over 1gr per watt, which seems to be the new standard with led.

I actually think that the next batch with the red/blue/warm white CREE BIN Q will be much bigger, possibly 10-12gr per plant. These were under the neutral whites...
If the warms perform as expected, I will replace them with yellow and red-orange to see if the green and far red of the warm whites have any major effect on bud density, my guess is they do, and the yellow and orange will possibly be less efficient than warm white.
LEDS SUCK!

:moon:

Hey matches here

im intrested in leds as a new way to grow... but there's not a whole lot of good information around as to the applications of leds to growing... if anyone has any links that describe how leds work... how theyre rated... how they are put together... or good informative posts/grows i would love to read through them...or videos/guide's reffering to construction

ive searched around alittle and most of the basic information isnt very helpfull.... im now looking into PAR, radiant flux, mcd and what exactly all that bs means in english :) ...but mostly peoples opinions of leds are really biased... one way or the other... people saying how leds are useless pos ... and on the other side the advertising companys which take fact and streach it to suit there purpose's...

if you dont mind i would like some opinions on the ufos(new old) im seeing them from so many diffrent companys at diffrent cost in like 5 generations, the reviews range from amazing to overpriced nightlight...

im still looking into this and im not trying to be lazy im just trying to get myself pointed in the right dirrection just need someone to point

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Close cover before striking.

Close cover before striking.

Hey matches here

im intrested in leds as a new way to grow... but there's not a whole lot of good information around as to the applications of leds to growing... if anyone has any links that describe how leds work... how theyre rated... how they are put together... or good informative posts/grows i would love to read through them...or videos/guide's reffering to construction

ive searched around alittle and most of the basic information isnt very helpfull.... im now looking into PAR, radiant flux, mcd and what exactly all that bs means in english :) ...but mostly peoples opinions of leds are really biased... one way or the other... people saying how leds are useless pos ... and on the other side the advertising companys which take fact and streach it to suit there purpose's...

Actually, it's at least tri-polar.:D
I started in the skeptics camp, but did the research anyway.
Now I still get people that pink-up when you mention leds and rant about how they don't work and are a scam...

I just smile, don't even tell them where the bud we are smoking came from.:joint:
I'm a lazy guy and prying minds open is hard and thankless. So I just smile.
I don't mind people who have never tried it, yet are positive that it does not work.
Long as they stay out of the way while other folks actually do it.:wink:

Snstealth, aka Whiskey Tango, posted a led grow on cdot, that opened my mind about it.
Been experimenting with leds for a couple years now.
I think we just about have it dialed-in.

if you dont mind i would like some opinions on the ufos(new old) im seeing them from so many diffrent companys at diffrent cost in like 5 generations, the reviews range from amazing to overpriced nightlight...

That is accurate.
That's the range of the UFO knock-off out there.
I got lucky and snatched one for $220 USD that is great for vegging.
Best growth I've had from ANY light source!
Your milage may vary, there's some real crap getting sold to the unwary.

im still looking into this and im not trying to be lazy im just trying to get myself pointed in the right dirrection just need someone to point

You took the important step. You ARE looking into it.

We'll be happy to share what we've learned by putzing around.

So, lemme point.

Small leds are a waste of time.
Tightly focussed high output 10mm leds are the minimum that I would bother with.
10. or more 5 Watt emitters, with reasonable efficiency will veg, and bloom well enough.
The Procyon uses 2 W. emitters, I think.
Most of the decent UFO clones use 1 Watt Bridgelux leds

But, when I started using 15 Watt emitters, at 660 nm.
Well, so far, I'm impressed.
unfortunately, there aren't any commercial units using high power leds that I could find, so it required some DIY.

I'm keeping an eye on Old Mac's 300 Watt T.I. array grow.
to see how it compares with my newest light.

Most of the good led info was at cdot.
But, it's down, yet again!
And the fed-up led-heads are turning up here.
This thread is about to heat-up
So, buckle-up, it might be a bumpy ride, yah.

Aloha,
WeeZard

Oldmac

I'm keeping an eye on Old Mac's 300 Watt T.I. array grow.
to see how it compares with my newest light.
WeeZard

Hey Weez,

Don't have a pic of one TI pro bloom, how about TWO.

660watts of LED, covering 4'x4' VS. some big old bad 1000watters.(They really use 1150watts!) So almost a 500watt savings, producing Better bud. YUP just like I've been saying they don't work. LOL

Attachments

• grow-op 020.jpg
    grow-op 020.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 17
  • grow-op 012.jpg
    grow-op 012.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 14

Oldmac

Hello matches,

I think that a few people around here are going to be able to help you out.
All depends on how technical you want to get, heck you listed all of those things like par and radiant flux, you didn't even get to micromoles of photon energy! hehe

I've done some DIY lights, going back a couple of years including outdated 5mm diodes, but even those still work. In one of my grows I have a hybred light of T5 + Red LEDs.
I have also bought lights, I had two Procyon 100s that I used for abt 6 months in my mom room and are now in a sytem I sold to someone that uses a 2'x2' grow tray in a Jardin garden. It can grow from cuttings to finish with the Procyons. Also have now 2 TI ProBlooms that work very well, and I'm experimenting now with adding 4- 4' T5 VHO to a pair to light a 4'x4' area. And that is abt 1000watts of hybred, more then enough to grow.

Just ask, I know I or others can help you, with something.

giblets

Indica type bagseed shows flowers at 5 days under leds

Indica type bagseed shows flowers at 5 days under leds

Here's some good news on the new light.
Can't say whether it's the raw power, or the 730 nm nightcap.
but the last 2 flips showed flower in 5 days flat.

I flipped this lady from 24/0 under t-8's to 12/12 Friday morning, May 8. (My girls sleep during the day.) After her fifth night cycle, (today) she showed me these. There's quite a few of 'em, scattered all over the plant.

She's under my homebrew 6 red + 2 blue (15 w. Ledengin) flathead light--I'm running it pretty cool, probably right about 100 watts. (Had it dialed in at 107W but I backed the blues down a tad.)

No supplemental IR yet.

I guess these leds aren't workin' for me either!:D

PIC005.jpg

PIC008.jpg

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Sweet young girls in record time!

Sweet young girls in record time!

I flipped this lady from 24/0 under t-8's to 12/12 Friday morning, May 8. (My girls sleep during the day.) After her fifth night cycle, (today) she showed me these. There's quite a few of 'em, scattered all over the plant.

She's under my homebrew 6 red + 2 blue (15 w. Ledengin) flathead light--I'm running it pretty cool, probably right about 100 watts. (Had it dialed in at 107W but I backed the blues down a tad.)

No supplemental IR yet.

I guess these leds aren't workin' for me either!:D

Well, then, you'll prolly be annoyed at how fat the buds get under the 660

View attachment 9638

View attachment 9639

Looks like it's not the 730 then.
'course 24 to 12 get's noticed too.
I've been vegging at 18/6 .

Looked at that "sunbow" a while back.
sunbow_img_6.jpg
307 umols per M2!
They had me right up to the last line.
"at 1, (one), centimeter.":frown:
sunbow_img_9.jpg
We will need a metric shitload of $750 lights, brah:D.

Congrats on da girls!

Got viable seed from my WW clone.
My very expensive mystery seeds came up 3 males in a row.
The first male smelled so skunky dank, that I collected pollen and had it's way with one of the widow's nether limbs.
Just snipped the first bud 3 days ago and dropped the first seed in water. Popped in 48 hours!
I'll collect the rest when the buds are dry.
Much easier.
Got a full boat right now. Friend gave me a couple Diesel clones. Their starts just rooted so I'll flip the mommas and start my wee clone army sog. Once those are rolling, we'll start some of these star-crossed seeds.

At least that's the present plan.:joint:

Best
Weeze.

:listen2: Told ya cdot was about to sink again.

Thanks oldmac,
i dont have any specific questions i was just looking for information sources that i could go through

and opinions on the current leds (mainly ufos) all over the place

Oldmac

Hey matches,

UFOs and thier knock offs' are Weez's deal, like he said above. I haven't even seen one in person.

When I bought the procyon 100s I used them for vegging my moms, and did not even consider flowering with them. Then I saw a grow log by SnSstealth and 1/2 that entity is WhiskeyTango420 here (check out his area 51 pics). He/they proved that they could flower, and quite well. The most remarkable part of them, very little heat given off. In a 2'x2' Jardin enclosure two of them raise the temperture about 4 degrees over ambient. When the room it is located in is at 72degrees F, the grow tent is at 76F. No need to cool an HPS light, and cool enough to run the exhausr fan on a cycle timer and not a thermostat; great for a little CO2.

Good luck looking for the right LED for you, just be carefull, there's a lot of junk out there.

L

LolaGal

Told ya cdot was about to sink again.

You were right. I just loaded some pics there...I think it was me what crashed it again..lol

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
up n down like crazy monkeys onna hotplate

up n down like crazy monkeys onna hotplate

They are back! And running very well with only 2 or 3 folks on-line.

FBR has opened a twitter account for the next outage.
'course now twitter is having issues with their login page.
<sigh> so it goes...

Weeze

thanks weez too didnt even see your post, im actully mostly considering a diy assuming i go with leds... dont wanna gamble trying to get a good/cheaper led unit.... and dont have 600-1.5k for one i know works well .... im looking at alot of Knna's posts through the forum he has alot of good info and does diy leds... like you said he use's the bigger ones... not random 1w ones ill keep up with this thread as i reserch more... trying to get my head around the basics

edit: what ive got so far.... as far as leds go... for growing im looking for a greater angle... not a beam... im looking for the intensity of the light...not sure how thats measured(par)... but the lumen measurement = useless for growing? because its only rated for humans eyes?......also im looking for specific colors used for photosynthisis, and mabe uv? leds do come in uv? not sure....also ive seen you can use something that shutsoff/turnson the leds rapidly because plants only use lights one photon at a time suggesting that you save energy/make your light more efficient by tuneing that into how fast the plant can reset whatever absorbs the light also this alows you to overdrive the leds without overheating them due to the off time

could use some links on plants-> leds if anyone has them most of the stuff i find is related to human use

i am really excited to find this thread.i have not made it through all the posts yet, but i will.
i recently decided that i wanted my light source to be led and purchased a 90 watt ufo for a very decent price. i am an inexperienced grower and grow for personal and looking to run an efficient micro grow op. there is a lot of great information here.
peace.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Curious.

Curious.

i am really excited to find this thread.i have not made it through all the posts yet, but i will.
i recently decided that i wanted my light source to be led and purchased a 90 watt ufo for a very decent price. i am an inexperienced grower and grow for personal and looking to run an efficient micro grow op. there is a lot of great information here.
peace.

Aloha and e como mai, S. C.

Gotta wonder why you are scrogging males.
I get harvesting pollen, but why scrog it?
That would seem to make it harder.

Hope you got one of the good UFO knock offs.

Weeze.

Oldmac

could use some links on plants-> leds if anyone has them most of the stuff i find is related to human use

Yeah Matches,

Here's an older paper dealing with LEDs and various wavelenghts.
I like it 'cause it confirms that abt 660 is very plant important, plus they used actual LEDs to conduct thier experiments on plants (5mm, but still) and not filters.

Oh, and it goes into "pulsed diodes" like you asked about. Hope you boned up on your physics' and don't let the micromoles bite you.

Attachments

• Tennessen%20Bula%20and%20Sharkey%20Pulsed%20light%201995.pdf
    345.9 KB · Views: 42

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Top down, presently.

Top down, presently.

Directly above and within 6".

And I have 2 lights that overlap with a 730 nm. source in between them.
14. 660nm. red emitters and 3. 460 nm blue emitters.
Ea. consumes an average of 13.5 Watts.
Angle is about 120 degrees average. (got some in a cake pan reflector)

Had some led sidelighting for a while. Didn't seem to matter
Had a cfl in for one cycle in case the girls were pining for other than red and blue.
The girls didn't seem to respond, so I removed the sidelighting and the cfl and just upped the power of the deep reds, changed the R:B, added a burst of 730 nm. at bedtime and that lot made a big difference.
They are showing sex in 5 days and flowering up a storm.
It's looking like they will finish as fast, or faster than HPS girls. Time will tell.

About 230 Watts. not counting power supply losses and fans.
Probably 300 Watts Total if I include airpumps.
The vegary eats another 140Watts.

Whether 3X the power will equal 3X the bud remains to be seen. I sincerely doubt it. Not really what I'm lookin' for here anyway.
My medical needs are handled.
Now I'm just pokin' around for love of learning.

So far, I'm pleased with the new array.

Aloha,
WeeZard

Latest posts

Latest posts