What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED GROW-OFF Part Deux: HG LED 205w vs. PS 180w

LEDGirl

Veteran
Our lights were created to promote strong vegetative growth, and robust flowering. They are not a bloom-specific light.

WizeWizo

Pictures from 3/3 DAY 17 VEG

Pictures from 3/3 DAY 17 VEG

Sorry everyone for the lack of an update, but my plate is exceptionally full right now. Here's just a few pics of the growth as of a few days ago. I will be takin some more pictures hopefully Sunday as things are beginning to settle down just a few more things to nail down and it'll be smooth sailing. But without further ado....

Side by Side taken on 3/3 (all pics shown are from 3/3) Day 17 Veg.

HGL

PS

HGL

PS

So yeah, things all and all look pretty good. It was recommended that the HGL light be ran at 6" for optimum growth ran it at 6" for a few days til I noticed some weird burning and was told that it was from the IR LED's. So backed it back up to 9" and all new growth looks happy. The PS plants are about 2" taller than the HGL plants but the HGL plants appear to have more developed root structures so I am planning on going ahead and flipping them to bloom perhaps tomorrow, which would be a full 3 weeks in veg. But yeah, very happy with both lights thus far and both have done very well in the vegitative stage.

WizeWizo

Just incase anyone check this out here is interested in whats been keepin me so busy here's a lil'sneak peak. I will be starting another journal for this grow here very shortly.

No, no thats not the world biggest coffee grinder...

It's A Spinner!!!

pinstripe

Your plants look great, man! Best of luck to you!

I was wondering why you keep the round LED light about twice as far away as the other one. If both lights were equal, the plants under the round lamp would get 75% lower light intensity according to the inverse square law.

Anyhow, great show! I'll be watching.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well after a shitload of hard work finally got it all up and goin, the girls are in their final home. So the 5 gal buckets are gone and 2x4 aero trays moved in, obviously not using the entire tray for the grow.
The Set-up

PS side

HGL Side

Sorry for the lack of pictures y'all, but I need to go smoke me a few bowls.....

This is very interesting. HGL roots are fuller, and have significantly more fishbones- a very good sign of healthy plants to come.

I recommend that you replace your misters with lower flow rate <1gph, even if you are not using a high pressure pump. One thing for sure, very soon you will be out of real estate for the roots to hang properly. Hint if you are growing a 2 foot plant, you need at least 2 ft for roots to hang, otherwise they will matt up on the bottom. This often leads to root rot, nute deficiences, pH issues, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry everyone for the lack of an update, but my plate is exceptionally full right now. Here's just a few pics of the growth as of a few days ago. I will be takin some more pictures hopefully Sunday as things are beginning to settle down just a few more things to nail down and it'll be smooth sailing. But without further ado....

Side by Side taken on 3/3 (all pics shown are from 3/3) Day 17 Veg.

HGL

PS

HGL

PS

So yeah, things all and all look pretty good. It was recommended that the HGL light be ran at 6" for optimum growth ran it at 6" for a few days til I noticed some weird burning and was told that it was from the IR LED's. So backed it back up to 9" and all new growth looks happy. The PS plants are about 2" taller than the HGL plants but the HGL plants appear to have more developed root structures so I am planning on going ahead and flipping them to bloom perhaps tomorrow, which would be a full 3 weeks in veg. But yeah, very happy with both lights thus far and both have done very well in the vegitative stage.

Most likely the PS side is taller because they were stretching toward the light whereas the HGL side could focus on bushing and root development. My experience with LEDs is the roots come first, followed by an explosion of growth- not necessarily height

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Forgot to mention. I think you should double or even triple up on the red cups. The singles seem to be letting light in

WizeWizo

Your plants look great, man! Best of luck to you!

I was wondering why you keep the round LED light about twice as far away as the other one. If both lights were equal, the plants under the round lamp would get 75% lower light intensity according to the inverse square law.

Anyhow, great show! I'll be watching.

The round LED (jumbo 180w) is kept at 16" atm, this is the manufacturers recommendation and where they are asking me to keep it, so I am obliging. The HGL light is at 8-9", I did drop it down to a recommended 6" but they started to show signs of IR burn, so backed it off a few inches.

Everything thus far has been ran to specs of the manufacturer that produces each light. With the exception of temps being 82-85 instead of 85-88 (runnin hydro with no res chiller so dont want to get water temps too high)

WizeWizo

This is very interesting. HGL roots are fuller, and have more significantly more fishbones- a very good sign of healthy plants to come.

I recommend that you replace your misters with hers, even if you are not using a high pressure pump. One thing for sure , very soon you will be out of real estate for the roots to hang properly. Hint if you are growing a 2 foot plant, you need at least 2 ft for roots to hang, otherwise they will matt up on the bottom. This often leads to root rot, nute deficiences, pH issues, etc.

Replace the misters with hers? Do you mean the ones that spin 360? I use those for cloning purposes only, I have used them in aero set ups before and found the 360 misters that ez cloners use work better imo.

I hear ya on the root space, but 9" is decent. Most aero systems on the market only provide 7". Shit the aeroflo from GH only allows for 5" and I saw amazing results off that system. So yes, a deeper chamber may be better, but I believe you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a 2 foot deep chamber for your roots, 5 gal buckets come to mind as being the closest and cheapest.

WizeWizo

Forgot to mention. I think you should double or even triple up on the red cups. The singles seem to be letting light in

Good call here, I went back and looked at the pic of the roots and you could def see a lil bit of light. Threw in 3 more cups in each for 4 total and its pitch, umm, red now....

LEDGirl

Veteran
The Raindrip 360 degree sprinklers from C.A.P. with the Red markings work awesome throughout the whole process. I've found they clog a lot less frequently than other Raindrip sprinklers, and especially less vs the style you're using. They're really cheap too which makes it nice. Anyhow, thought I'd throw in my two cents on that one ;) As for me though, we're TAG now that it's finally working properly!

WizeWizo

Sorry for not updating with pics on Sunday, but I'll try to get around to that tomorrow sometime. Both sets of plants went into flowering on Sunday 3/7. Let the fun stuff begin....

These pics were taken on March 3rd, 17 days into veg. So both sides were veg'd for another 5 days before going to bloom on the 7th.

Day 1 to 17 under the HG LED 205w

Day 1 to 17 under the Jumbo 180w

WizeWizo

Pictures from 3/9: 2 Days into Bloom

Pictures from 3/9: 2 Days into Bloom

All of these pictures were taken on 3/9, 2 days after getting flipped 12/12.

Side by Side

HGL Side

PS Side

MeanBean

Nice update and setup!. Man we all got a new little setup for these voodoo LED's. Can't wait to post about mine but it's still not quite done... Girls are vegging fine though and I am about to fim them for the F of it.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Replace the misters with hers? Do you mean the ones that spin 360? I use those for cloning purposes only, I have used them in aero set ups before and found the 360 misters that ez cloners use work better imo.

I hear ya on the root space, but 9" is decent. Most aero systems on the market only provide 7". Shit the aeroflo from GH only allows for 5" and I saw amazing results off that system. So yes, a deeper chamber may be better, but I believe you'll be pretty hard pressed to find a 2 foot deep chamber for your roots, 5 gal buckets come to mind as being the closest and cheapest.

The misters I was/am referring to can be seen on Reptile Basics website, or LEDGirls. They are designed for high pressure (>50psi)

WizeWizo

The misters I was/am referring to can be seen on Reptile Basics website, or LEDGirls. They are designed for high pressure (>50psi)

Perhaps as a side project I might check it out. But after seeing all the troubles that you and a few others have had with tag, i'll stay right where I'm at with my ghetto systems.

One of my biggest problems that I can see with those tag misters is clogs. How is it that those misters wont clog with all the nutrients and shit running through them. Especially someone growing with organic nutes. Not saying that it would happen over a few weeks but perhaps over the course 2 months I could most certainly see some clogage goin on. I didnt get too far in your journal (as I thought you were very arrogant) so unsure even if you have had problems with clogging, but that was my main concern when checkin out those pump and misters.

LEDGirl

Veteran
Perhaps as a side project I might check it out. But after seeing all the troubles that you and a few others have had with tag, i'll stay right where I'm at with my ghetto systems.

One of my biggest problems that I can see with those tag misters is clogs. How is it that those misters wont clog with all the nutrients and shit running through them. Especially someone growing with organic nutes.

I'm still testing out TAG, and so far the process has been anything but rewarding. While I can certainly see it's benefits (less water us, less nutrient use, less power consumption, etc...), I don't see a huge difference in root growth nor plant development. Perhaps it is still too early to see, as I lost literally every plant but the last 4 I put in due to the ridiculous CAP timer (switched to Sentinel). I'll give these plants a full run through, but if I don't notice a sizable enough difference between them and my aero systems, I'll simply use my aero systems which never had a problem before ever.

On the contrary though, my 360 degree sprinklers in my aero units clog much more frequently than these high pressure misters. There is a 200 micron screen on the water feed line going to the high pressure pump, so that no debris (whether organic or not) is able to pass through and clog your misters. In over a month, I haven't had a single clog running Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice (organic).

LEDGirl

Veteran
These two pictures made me sit back and say "Wow, now I really see what you were saying about the node development". I had no idea our plants were so much more compact, although this was our goal in creating the 2nd generation spectral output. If you remember back to Irish's test, the PS plants stayed shorter while ours stretched under our 1st gen light. This test shows via an independent grower, that our goal behind changing our spectral output for the 2nd generation models was accomplished: less stretch, more nodes. Amazing what a slight "tweak" to your design can do huh? During our first grow against PS our plants were way taller, and this time around they're shorter and more compact. Just the way I like it :)

Comparison.jpg

nextbestthing

Nice looking plants Wiz

That bloom box is really amazing.

If anyone has not watched 60 min clip I highly recommend it.

My question is what happens when the government stops subsiding the green energy products?

I hope not until we have a breakthrough in better power production. Bloom box might be close.

I also can't believe we are still using space heaters and other crazy huge power wasters. 1500 Watts to warm my feet? Costs 15 cents an hour.

Latest posts

Latest posts