What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED GROW-OFF Part Deux: HG LED 205w vs. PS 180w

LEDGirl

Veteran

My GOD that's a lot of WEIGHT! :biglaugh: I was thinking, perhaps we could start a "Stem" foundation for those pothead buddies who are too poor to smoke lol. Since hardly any of us likely smoke stems, we could just donate them to people in need. Ya, I'm being sarcastic, but I do have a friend who used to grind up my stems and smoke em lol!

MeanBean

Hey Wizo, Conrats man, you got a nice load. Seems like we always find things we wish we had of done better at the final weigh in, but hey that's still an alright run. do you know if this is a higher or lower producing strain??

Now just as a speculation does the hgl bud appear denser or have more hairs on it? hehe it just seems like the hgl side buds are bolder ya know??

Glad to hear about your next grow, but man whats up with the 600 watter at the end?? you got all these led's man, through that thing away lol!!

Na just kidding but ehh I prolly would, to each his own!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ok, so doing some math here:

You flowered for 68 days total, right?

Cervantes' formula is to seek 1gpw every 60 days, so at 68 your goal is 1.13gpw.

The HydroGrow LED 205W created 144gr, or .70 gpw.

The Prosource LED 180W created 115.9 gr (after stem removal) for .64gpw.

Not as bad as I thought they'd be, but not really any different from any HID setup I've seen. The lower heat I guess is the only tangible advantage?

WizeWizo

Ok, so doing some math here:

You flowered for 68 days total, right?

Cervantes' formula is to seek 1gpw every 60 days, so at 68 your goal is 1.13gpw.

The HydroGrow LED 205W created 144gr, or .70 gpw.

The Prosource LED 180W created 115.9 gr (after stem removal) for .64gpw.

Not as bad as I thought they'd be, but not really any different from any HID setup I've seen. The lower heat I guess is the only tangible advantage?

Heat is definately one of these LED's biggest advantages over HID's and even run cooler than the t5's I have. But this was my first grow with both of these lights and feel that I could do much better with both lights in all honesty, where as I just recently harvested my 600w hps and did better than I had ever before comin in at I believe .67gpw. So I certainly believe that heat isnt that only factor in which makes these LED's more efficient.

Very Nice grow Wizo. I like how you tied the colas to the vents of the HydroGrow LED. Use what you have available!

I like the idea of LEDs. Less heat means no extra cooling (small grows). The light spectrum isn't glaring like a Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium. If you open a cabinet that uses one of those, any neighbors looking at your house will see your whole room light up. That just isn't natural or normal in a neighborhood. The LEDs just look like Party lights. Hang some regular leds around your room and no one will ever think twice about it. Just think your weird with an led fetish. Noise levels are very low with Leds too. No buzzing of ballasts and whoosh of high cfm fans. About the only think a small grower has to worry about is the smell. The glow sure does make the plant leaves look "off" though. Hopefully I'll post a grow in the next few weeks.