What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Youre adorable, no stock in any led tech. Just decades of experience with hid and now half a decade with led so….Invent whatever you want in your mind though, its fun to hear haha. Its shocking that you dont understand why there isnt an active thread on hids and quality. I dunno MAYBE because its old as fuck technology and leds didnt exist in this fashion when they were commonplace? Maybe 🤔? And how hard did you try with leds? Did you just throw them up, make an attempt with bad results and bail? Im betting on that because if you had the results that are possible you would never go back. Its kind of surprising that you would just jump into this thread again to talk shit. What are you hoping to achieve here? Remind us all that you cant make it work with leds? Boohoo for you. Just a couple pages back there was a post about a study of cannabinoid content between a trial of hid vs led and leds were consistently higher. Theres a lot of science AND experience going on in this thread. But the way you carry yourself here shows that you just wont embrace it or try to figure this out. Youre just all…..Led no work for me so led bad me mad about it so i go cry to stranger on internet. Theres a thread comparing different lighting types, maybe go whimper there? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Led no work for anyone bud, no just me
Although led worked for me I had some crazy grows with it, but like CannaT said, it's never great bud, it's nice, nothing beyond.
Your led grows looks good no doubt there, I wasn't even talking about you but about the tech, but you and greyfader like to take ramblings about led personally, so much, I have no doubt you both are invested in this tech In this way or another, its so obvious.
So just to set the record straight, I don't care about u or greyfader or your bs science
that don't exist outside the drawing board.
You are like any led grower I've ever met, not one of them will admit their bud is shit, even though it is and they know it.
I'm not expecting you to admit what we and true science knows, not the science that push u to buy shit light systems for a lot of money just to end up with a shit sandy resin 30 min effect bud.
Like I said earlier, when you think science is on your side you take it and use it, and when it defies your findings you dismiss it, its apparent in all your posts.
And imma say it again cuz this is a quality under led subject, imo it sucks each time.
So for future growers who wanna hit every grow with ease don't go leds, it's a hoax, a scam, and if you fell for it I feel sorry for you, that's all.

420empire

Veteran
Hey Guys.
I Was wondering if any of u have heard bout massmedicals New venture in to the lightning scene.. btw i am not affiliated with him.
So i seems he running his plants on pure metal haldie through Bloom, quite nice.
I have only heard some old growers doing it. I am really Keen on this new Bulb. For now his page is only commercial hype stuff but I have heard other People praise MH. Just a lil fyi some of us live in really cold areas where the heat from the bulb is a win😁

Mass Metal Halide

A sun-like, full white light spectrum
Enjoy a thriving garden with optimized genetic expression and efficient nutrient uptake under a wide range of garden conditions.

High intensity output for professional yields​

Extremely bright, our lamp is competitive with the best in the world. Produces massive yields, mind-blowing quality, and superior plant health.​

Better flavors, potency, and medicine​

Our lamps can produce the highest quality indoor medicinal flower, with additional metabolites produced, as well as extend shelf life on properly cured flowers, raising the value of your harvest.​

Presented by a plant breeder, meet the Mass Metal Halide Bulb for Flowering and Full Cycle.
Improved Genetic Expression
The Mass Metal Halide promotes full genetic expressions (terpenes, cannabinoids, etc.) that are not produced in the same plants when flowered under LED, HPS, or CMH due to light spectrum differences. In our lab tests, many flavors and medicinal compounds were only present indoors when flowered under Metal Halide.

These same expressions can also be brought out by natural sunlight. We believe it to be the truest full expression of the plants. We want to help bring that indoors!

For example, our Star Pupil clone flowered under a Metal Halide (MH) lamp produces additional rare cannabinoids, CBL and CBC, and additional terpenes Geraniol, Guaiol, Cymene, and Eucalyptol, none of which were present at all when flowered with HPS, LED, or even CMH!

Many promises, we Will se 😊

greyfader

I can’t help it. I just love comments like this on an anonymous message board.
there are real consequences for those who troll a thread, which is exactly what Trifektaseeds is doing. in the early parts of this thread we had a character named Snakedope who repeatedly did the same thing.

he was warned by the mods to stop and he ignored them. he was banned from the site and he immediately came back as Dopesnake and started right in trolling again.

they then banned his IP address and we haven't seen or heard from him since.

i predict this is going to happen to Trifektaseeds if he doesn't stop.

whether he sees it or not this thread has made great progress understanding LEDs as a light source for plants.

he is here to attack, not help! Apparently, he has not been able to get quality from LEDs so he thinks no one can. he is wrong.

his problem is that he gets some kind of twisted, juvenile, satisfaction from trolling. it's a very immature thing to do.

even though you are anonymous on a site like Icmag you are still representing yourself. whether or not we know your name in real life is not important because we still see the quality of the person behind the statements.

he is representing himself as a troll;

In slang, a troll is a person who posts deliberately offensive or provocative messages online[1] (such as in social media, a newsgroup, a forum, a chat room, an online video game) or who performs similar behaviors in real life. The methods and motivations of trolls can range from benign to sadistic. These messages can be inflammatory, insincere, digressive,[2] extraneous, or off-topic, and may have the intent of provoking others into displaying emotional responses,[3] or manipulating others' perception, thus acting as a bully or a provocateur. The behavior is typically for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or purposefully causing confusion or harm to other people.[4]

Last edited:

Rocket Soul

Although led worked for me I had some crazy grows with it, but like CannaT said, it's never great bud, it's nice, nothing beyond.
Your led grows looks good no doubt there, I wasn't even talking about you but about the tech, but you and greyfader like to take ramblings about led personally, so much, I have no doubt you both are invested in this tech In this way or another, its so obvious.
So just to set the record straight, I don't care about u or greyfader or your bs science
You are like any led grower I've ever met, not one of them will admit their bud is shit, even though it is and they know it.
I'm not expecting you to admit what we and true science knows, not the science that push u to buy shit light systems for a lot of money just to end up with a shit sandy resin 30 min effect bud.
Like I said earlier, when you think science is on your side you take it and use it, and when it defies your findings you dismiss it, its apparent in all your posts.
And imma say it again cuz this is a quality under led subject, imo it sucks each time.
So for future growers who wanna hit every grow with ease don't go leds, it's a hoax, a scam, and if you fell for it I feel sorry for you, that's all.
More selfsnitching; cant grow good weed with led thats on you.
What science are you quoting for the hps>led quality? Is there a paper or just the opinion of two contrarians?

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
Good Day All I have little to add to this thread other than I read it and found it to be helpful with a lot

of good info

I moved outside spring of 2023 hating LEDs I had build 1900 watts of them for about 1 $ a watt

and was thinking of selling them for 50 cents a watt

grew outside over the season and forgot my hate of LEDs, until end of Jan 2024

at first I try to use LEDs like fluorescent lights which they are not :( after tried to run them

like I would my HIDs :( still no good

If I was not a lazy stoner I would have dug out my HIDs and kissed the LEDs good bye

so glad I did not after some research and reading about how to use LEDs to grow plants

I have come to really like LEDs and see how they are good to grow with inside

That being said I am an outside grower once again

A big Thank you to New York State it has only taken my lifetime for you to end the prohibition

but every spring I will be using LEDS

Thank you all who put information and knowledge

enjoy the day and grow well

Dequilo

Last edited:

Ca++

if that was true then the top of my plants would always taste better than the rest of the plant but that is not alwys the case in my experience.
There is a bit more going on than taste. The cannabinoids gradient from top to bottom is well proven, and should really be observable from a great distance. I like smoking things a little lower than the very top myself, but then I'm not a hash smoker, or particularly interested in extracts. I like them buds a bit out the light, that tend to be a lighter colour, but still perfectly formed. It doesn't mean they have more cannabinoids though.

Ca++

Im nearly certain your light is too intense for them. Without knowing temps, humidity and other stuff like your irrigation strategy, media etc im shooting in the dark here but you just described exactly what ive seed when i didnt have my lighting straightened out in veg. You cant just dim and wait 24 hours. Id dim down to 40% and give it a few days. I bet they green right up.
Perhaps not too intense for them, but rather too intense to replace florescents. He is moving from the lowest output lights, to the highest output lights. The loss of colour suggests the feed wasn't increased in line with the lighting. A lot of LED adopters thought they could just swap lights and do nothing else.

Starved plants try to flower, before it's too late. The puzzle pieces fit, but what we really don't know, is anything about how bright it is under either lighting. Something a light meter might not help with. So as you say, we need a lot more parameters before anything solid could be said.

CharlesU Farley

Hey Guys.
I Was wondering if any of u have heard bout massmedicals New venture in to the lightning scene.. btw i am not affiliated with him.
So i seems he running his plants on pure metal haldie through Bloom, quite nice.
I have only heard some old growers doing it. I am really Keen on this new Bulb. For now his page is only commercial hype stuff but I have heard other People praise MH. Just a lil fyi some of us live in really cold areas where the heat from the bulb is a win😁

Mass Metal Halide

Enjoy a thriving garden with optimized genetic expression and efficient nutrient uptake under a wide range of garden conditions.

Extremely bright, our lamp is competitive with the best in the world. Produces massive yields, mind-blowing quality, and superior plant health.​

Our lamps can produce the highest quality indoor medicinal flower, with additional metabolites produced, as well as extend shelf life on properly cured flowers, raising the value of your harvest.​

Presented by a plant breeder, meet the Mass Metal Halide Bulb for Flowering and Full Cycle.
The Mass Metal Halide promotes full genetic expressions (terpenes, cannabinoids, etc.) that are not produced in the same plants when flowered under LED, HPS, or CMH due to light spectrum differences. In our lab tests, many flavors and medicinal compounds were only present indoors when flowered under Metal Halide.

These same expressions can also be brought out by natural sunlight. We believe it to be the truest full expression of the plants. We want to help bring that indoors!

For example, our Star Pupil clone flowered under a Metal Halide (MH) lamp produces additional rare cannabinoids, CBL and CBC, and additional terpenes Geraniol, Guaiol, Cymene, and Eucalyptol, none of which were present at all when flowered with HPS, LED, or even CMH!

Back in the mid to late '90s, it wasn't LED versus HID, it was MH versus HPS. Almost everybody absolutely loved the HPS because, after all, that's what they used in the Netherlands, where all the good cannabis was coming from.

This should come as no surprise, but I was strongly in the MH camp. I was growing in a 2x5 closet, developing Type I/Sativa dominant hybrids from Jamaica, and a short internode was _mandatory_.

I caught unbelievable amounts of shit in the adpc cannabis newsgroup. Everyone knew that the far red was _so_ much better for flowering, and remember everybody in the Netherlands was using HPS, so why is dumbass Chuck using MH?

Because it worked!

Check out this relic from the '80s:

1000009436.jpg

Thats a Sunmaster Warm Deluxe bulb in there (a little extra red spectrum compared to the normal MH lights), that was 99 bucks for the longest time, so at least the price of the bulbs has come down. :cool:

I've been utilizing LED lighting for over 10 years now and have never looked back. Never been tempted to fire this thing up, even in the winter in the basement tents, where the temp frequently gets in the upper thirties F°.

Besides, I could never do this with HID lighting:

1000011444.jpg

There's no light burn because SouthEast Lights is used to close, intense, unrelenting light... without the _heat_ an HID bulb generates.

It ought to tell you younger growers something when an old fucking dinosaur like me has been committed to LEDs for so long, and would _never_ go back to standard HID. Because I know I've used them longer than y'all have.;)

And Harley just said, "...don't you dare tell those Millenials you've got _underwear_ older than they are. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

phunkeeboodah

i'm interested in the taste of the smoke mostly because by chance my only experience with awesome tasting weed was in the 90's. but even back then i realized no matter how dank the bud looked and smelled, a small percentage of that weed also tasted good when smoked

i am still looking for that weed that tastes like pure incense/bubblegum all the way down to the oily roach (which was usually a yellow colour when of really good quality)

does weed like this still exist and how can i get my hands on some lol

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
i am still looking for that weed that tastes like pure incense/bubblegum all the way down to the oily roach (which was usually a yellow colour when of really good quality)

does weed like this still exist and how can i get my hands on some lol
The 'EXHALE' of the last hit in the bowl of well grown cannabis is almost as tasty as the first hit. You should have almost zero 'burnt plant/nutrients/dust/beaver-hair' taste to it. ;)

This end result has nothing to do with the LED/HID debate.

Ca++

I only smoke the first half of a joint. It's unrealistic to expect a freshly lit one, to taste the same as a roach full of products formed through combustion. Each successive draw tastes different, from tip to roach, and their is no escaping it.

However, the occasional person tastes more by memory, than from the current experience.

This is a simple enough sketch
iu

A third of us are non-tasters. In a 6mm circle, they may have 5 receptors.
A third of us are supertasters. In that same space, they may have 60 receptors.
This is a factor of 12, though most people think we are all equal, having had no experience of tasting ability, other than our own.

In an established group of smokers, there is usually the one who ends up with all the roaches in their ashtray. The rejects of others, that they are happy to smoke. Perhaps to the cardboard at times. We all fall on a spectrum, that people rarely recognise. One it's difficult to place ourselves upon, as we have no benchmark to judge against. We are all above average, in our minds.

The strain bubble gum, does taste a lot like it. A cross known as tooty fruity, also got it nailed.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Guys.

Mass Metal Halide

I've been using CMH for a very long time. My best quality plants were grown under CMH. I love CMH. I'm currently using a mix of CMH/LED in flower today. CMH and MH are similar but CMH is superior IMO.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If any of this were true id be out of business 5 years ago. Nobody would have wanted the product after i converted. But again, you like to invent shit in your head and make it fact when its just your own hallucinations. How is it obvious what im personally invested in? Because i own leds and understand them? Anyway, this was fun, sorry you feel scammed by your own inabilities. Good luck with your goal of getting people to not use leds. Maybe you should try to get people to use horse drawn carriages instead of cars too! 😂

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I only smoke the first half of a joint. It's unrealistic to expect a freshly lit one, to taste the same as a roach full of products formed through combustion. Each successive draw tastes different, from tip to roach, and their is no escaping it.
Ahhh... you have such wonderful pleasures to look forward to. It's unrealistic to expect overfed, non-filtered air cannabis to taste the same as the roach end. Excepting the paper flavor (which you can definitely tell), your results (with properly fed cannabis) should be the exact same as a tightly packed bowl. White, fluffy, super-lightweight ash that blows away on a puff of air, and a final exhale so tasty you want to eat the taste and smell of it.

Cannabis is a dynamic accumulator, so almost ANY excess elements WILL get bound to new growth tissue where it will remain till harvest and beyond. (No, even mobile elements do not 'flush' out after being bound) Err on the side of underfeeding and you'll likely see what I mean. ;)

(Edit: I'm a super taster, and can almost smell/taste a gnat fart from 6 feet away. Use double fabric softener on your shirt and I can taste/feel the oils from it on my tongue at almost 20 feet. ;) )

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

there are real consequences for those who troll a thread, which is exactly what Trifektaseeds is doing. in the early parts of this thread we had a character named Snakedope who repeatedly did the same thing.

he was warned by the mods to stop and he ignored them. he was banned from the site and he immediately came back as Dopesnake and started right in trolling again.

they then banned his IP address and we haven't seen or heard from him since.

i predict this is going to happen to Trifektaseeds if he doesn't stop.

whether he sees it or not this thread has made great progress understanding LEDs as a light source for plants.

he is here to attack, not help! Apparently, he has not been able to get quality from LEDs so he thinks no one can. he is wrong.

his problem is that he gets some kind of twisted, juvenile, satisfaction from trolling. it's a very immature thing to do.

even though you are anonymous on a site like Icmag you are still representing yourself. whether or not we know your name in real life is not important because we still see the quality of the person behind the statements.

he is representing himself as a troll;

In slang, a troll is a person who posts deliberately offensive or provocative messages online[1] (such as in social media, a newsgroup, a forum, a chat room, an online video game) or who performs similar behaviors in real life. The methods and motivations of trolls can range from benign to sadistic. These messages can be inflammatory, insincere, digressive,[2] extraneous, or off-topic, and may have the intent of provoking others into displaying emotional responses,[3] or manipulating others' perception, thus acting as a bully or a provocateur. The behavior is typically for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or purposefully causing confusion or harm to other people.[4]
I live in America, there are no real consequences for protected speech. It’s just funny for me seeing people who don’t live that way.

But having an anonymous user name and ip banned aren’t a real consequence. They can immediately get a new username through a vpn and troll away.

The best way to get rid of trolls is to not feed them. Just put them on ignore.

greyfader

Back in the mid to late '90s, it wasn't LED versus HID, it was MH versus HPS. Almost everybody absolutely loved the HPS because, after all, that's what they used in the Netherlands, where all the good cannabis was coming from.

This should come as no surprise, but I was strongly in the MH camp. I was growing in a 2x5 closet, developing Type I/Sativa dominant hybrids from Jamaica, and a short internode was _mandatory_.

I caught unbelievable amounts of shit in the adpc cannabis newsgroup. Everyone knew that the far red was _so_ much better for flowering, and remember everybody in the Netherlands was using HPS, so why is dumbass Chuck using MH?

Because it worked!

Check out this relic from the '80s:

View attachment 18984786

Thats a Sunmaster Warm Deluxe bulb in there (a little extra red spectrum compared to the normal MH lights), that was 99 bucks for the longest time, so at least the price of the bulbs has come down. :cool:

I've been utilizing LED lighting for over 10 years now and have never looked back. Never been tempted to fire this thing up, even in the winter in the basement tents, where the temp frequently gets in the upper thirties F°.

Besides, I could never do this with HID lighting:

View attachment 18984787
There's no light burn because SouthEast Lights is used to close, intense, unrelenting light... without the _heat_ an HID bulb generates.

It ought to tell you younger growers something when an old fucking dinosaur like me has been committed to LEDs for so long, and would _never_ go back to standard HID. Because I know I've used them longer than y'all have.;)

And Harley just said, "...don't you dare tell those Millenials you've got _underwear_ older than they are. :ROFLMAO:
the reason most early growers went with HPS over MH had little to do with spectral quality. it was simply brute force. a 1k watt HPS produced 145,000 lumens and a 1k MH produced 110,000 lumens.

i was paranoid about buying "grow lights" so i bought "replacement" bulbs and ballast repair kits and built my own.

it wasn't too long before i heard about somebody using MH with Hps so i tried that and used combinations for a while until Hortilux and others began producing "horticultural" lights with a more balanced spectrum.

i once ran a 14 ft diameter Reflectix coated geodesic dome with 5 1k HPS around the sides and a single 1500 watt MH football stadium bulb in the center. 5 large plants vertically grown. you had to wear good sunglasses in that room. the light was everywhere. all facets of the dome reflected towards the center and the floor was snow-white epoxy.

at the time i was sure that i was producing greater trichome coverage and better potency but i had no way to prove it.

now, recent research shows that you can achieve higher potency and terpene expression with a blue-weighted spectrum but at the cost of gross yield.

one of the things i'm experimenting with right now is changing spectral weighting at specific points in the grow.

i think by doing this you can get both higher potency and keep the yield up.

we have a few completely tunable lights on the market that have warm white and daylight white light plus an assortment of monochromatic diodes. allowing you to change spectral quality.

so some manufacturers are aware of the benefits of changing spectrum during a grow to get a better overall product. the problem is that they are very expensive. $1800-2000.00.

the poor man's alternative is to manually change the spectrum by one means or another.

i'm using household screw-in bulbs with incandescent. 5000k in veg and up to the end of the third week of flower, then changing them all out to 2700k with incandescent. the last run i used the 2700k/incandescent until harvest but, the next one i will only run the 2700k/incandescent weeks 4-5-6-7-8 of a 10-week strain and then switch back to 5000k light for the last 2 weeks.

we have multiple folks on this thread running LED light as the main provider of light but supplementing with HPS. CMH, MH, and i think someone said CFL. using small amounts of supplemental light is making up for the lack of those wavelengths on less expensive LED fixtures.

i'm using cheap incandescent 25 watt appliance bulbs.

but we will never see a LED light manufacturer supplement LED white light with anything but monochromatic LEDs because that would skewer the hell out of the umols/joules ratio, which is a big selling point for them.

i can see this being a big deal when planning large commercial spaces but to the home grower not so much.

this is why i think supplementing LED white light with something other than more LEDs is cost-effective for small growers.

if you already have a small HPS or MH or CMH with ballasts that's a great thing to use. if you don't incandescents are much less expensive and work fine to supply a little more red, dark-red, and infrared in a smooth, continuous, unbroken curve.

for the new folks on this thread this is the result of my last grow and the spectrum used from the end of stretch on.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 1677949786348.jpeg
    1677949786348.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

greyfader

I live in America, there are no real consequences for protected speech. It’s just funny for me seeing people who don’t live that way.

But having an anonymous user name and ip banned aren’t a real consequence. They can immediately get a new username through a vpn and troll away.

The best way to get rid of trolls is to not feed them. Just put them on ignore.
i do believe in freedom of speech. but there are consequences associated with everything we say. i am exercising my freedom of speech when i ask Trifektaseeds to stop trolling.

this is a privately owned forum and they have rules about trolling. this allows people to have mutually beneficial conversations without intentional interference. this is not a street corner in public.

trolls are why we have moderators on private sites.

little-soldier

Hey Guys.

Mass Metal Halide

my experience with metal halide for flowering is that the plants take longer to respond when switching to flowering therefore it took an extra week or two for my plants to finish flowering. Although I did not notice the same slow flowering start with a solistek 10000k finishing bulb (maybe cause the plants had hps side lighting), i found my hortilux bulb to outperform the solistek in terms of yield. I didnt find the finishing bulb to improve in any kind of way for flowering so i now use it in veg.