What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry crooked8 and greyfader, I forget you have stocks in this tech so you get offended when someone says bud quality under LEDS is not all it's hyped to be by science guys.. shit I said it again sorry..
Oh well I indeed learn something from this thread, trust science when it's on my side, and dismiss it when it's not ;)
Youre adorable, no stock in any led tech. Just decades of experience with hid and now half a decade with led so….Invent whatever you want in your mind though, its fun to hear haha. Its shocking that you dont understand why there isnt an active thread on hids and quality. I dunno MAYBE because its old as fuck technology and leds didnt exist in this fashion when they were commonplace? Maybe 🤔? And how hard did you try with leds? Did you just throw them up, make an attempt with bad results and bail? Im betting on that because if you had the results that are possible you would never go back. Its kind of surprising that you would just jump into this thread again to talk shit. What are you hoping to achieve here? Remind us all that you cant make it work with leds? Boohoo for you. Just a couple pages back there was a post about a study of cannabinoid content between a trial of hid vs led and leds were consistently higher. Theres a lot of science AND experience going on in this thread. But the way you carry yourself here shows that you just wont embrace it or try to figure this out. Youre just all…..Led no work for me so led bad me mad about it so i go cry to stranger on internet. Theres a thread comparing different lighting types, maybe go whimper there? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We get a science denying loony one in here once in a while but please…..
1712543537919.gif

I Care

You’re really dialed in Crooked8. I don’t think it’s so easy for the home grower, I’m experiencing that it’s a little risky to use LED and might have to forfeit the largest single investment in my current grow. Are you programming your LEDs for a daylight spectrum, running daylight LEDs or are you using a full spectrum from seed to sensi?

Of course I got a light that nobody has worked with… so I really have nowhere to turn. VS XS2500Pro is the light I chose for my space and it really should be perfect if I knew safe practices for using the thing.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You’re really dialed in Crooked8. I don’t think it’s so easy for the home grower, I’m experiencing that it’s a little risky to use LED and might have to forfeit the largest single investment in my current grow. Are you programming your LEDs for a daylight spectrum, running daylight LEDs or are you using a full spectrum from seed to sensi?

Of course I got a light that nobody has worked with… so I really have nowhere to turn. VS XS2500Pro is the light I chose for my space and it really should be perfect if I knew safe practices for using the thing.
Well my friend, this is the place to turn if you would like support. The dialing takes time. But it can be done in a tent as easily as a spare room or commercial space. Admittedly budget is an issue for many, so unless you can get the necessary equipment to provide the environment its a matter of effort. The ones who persevered through the transition have the badass results. It doesnt happen first try most of the time. It sure didnt for me! I used to fuckin hate leds! Ill tell you for sure that the radiant heat from hids can provide ease of use for those who need it. But ill look up your light a bit and ask a few questions about your space if you have any interest in guidance?

I run 315w cmh and leds for veg. An led light over my cloner. So mostly led the entire run. I like 315s(3100k flower bulbs) because my slower plants stretch towards the light more and that bit of radiant heat. Mac 1 and some others really need to be under that light or an led thats red light oriented to keep up. As for spectrum in flower i run agrobar 720s that i dim and then bring up the intensity over 4-5 weeks gradually. But there are blue and red diodes and a more blue spectrum with agrobar than with many leds.

Last edited:

I Care

I actually have wondered if I just need an LED with more blue light. There are 5700k LEDs far more intense than the CFL or Flourescent tubes I have had success with so far. After the last couple days, I believe that using a full spectrum LED was causing the sexing and the uncontrollable degradation of my selected C2 of GMO I decided to give up on. So you’re really using your LED the same way you used to use your HIDs? Growing under different spectrums through the run, then ending off under the agrobar. Turning it up through the grow like I would do with a 1000w HID ballast increasing from 600 to max+ over the course of flower.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually have wondered if I just need an LED with more blue light. There are 5700k LEDs far more intense than the CFL or Flourescent tubes I have had success with so far. After the last couple days, I believe that using a full spectrum LED was causing the sexing and the uncontrollable degradation of my selected C2 of GMO I decided to give up on. So you’re really using your LED the same way you used to use your HIDs? Growing under different spectrums through the run, then ending off under the agrobar. Turning it up through the grow like I would do with a 1000w HID ballast increasing from 600 to max+ over the course of flower.
You think the spectrum was causing your plants to show sex and degrade? Im not so sure about that but i also have little knowledge of your grow. We need to know a lot more about the space. Do you have a light meter? Do you happen to know how intense your light is at the canopy? What your distance from the canopy? Ideally we would also know the ambient temp, rh and leaf surface temps so we can try to hone in on any potential issues.

I do not use my leds how i used hids. I used to go from t5s straight to 1000w DE not dimmed down. With leds, the light is more intense, so they need to adjust gradually to this. Thats part of the trickiness of leds. If you just go from veg level lighting 200-400umol to the highest intensity under led, youll fry them, ive done it lol.

Last edited:

I Care

I actually do, seemed that when I put away the fluorescents and started running the light with 5000, 3000, IR and FR chips the plants started pop pistils under 24h lighting and just went on showing preflower under 24h lighting. Happened as I was hanging the light under my one big GMO scrog plant last year too. Then happened to the clone when I put the tubes away, flowered the big one and had a selected mother under that same LED it popped calix and pistils too.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually do, seemed that when I put away the fluorescents and started running the light with 5000, 3000, IR and FR chips the plants started pop pistils under 24h lighting and just went on showing preflower under 24h lighting. Happened as I was hanging the light under my one big GMO scrog plant last year too. Then happened to the clone when I put the tubes away, flowered the big one and had a selected mother under that same LED it popped calix and pistils too.
Had it never done that before? Thats wild, i have had a few cuts that showed even during veg but never due to a light change. Im lost on that one.

I Care

I say that, with the understanding that I may have simply been incorrectly using the lights I was using. I really think that even the small count of FR and IR chips caused them to show sex. Where I didn’t see that under a flourescents, I will make an exception for interruptions, I turned a light off for 10 hours and got preflower before too. Has me interested in acquiring a daylight spectrum LED. I just bought these Vipar Spectre lights on eBay. A VS1000 100w is what I saw the preflowing occur under 24h with full spectrum LED. This new 250w light just seems to be making my seedlings really stressed out and just need to keep them under the Flourescent for my sanity.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I say that, with the understanding that I may have simply been incorrectly using the lights I was using. I really think that even the small count of FR and IR chips caused them to show sex. Where I didn’t see that under a flourescents, I will make an exception for interruptions, I turned a light off for 10 hours and got preflower before too. Has me interested in acquiring a daylight spectrum LED. I just bought these Vipar Spectre lights on eBay. A VS1000 100w is what I saw the preflowing occur under 24h with full spectrum LED. This new 250w light just seems to be making my seedlings really stressed out and just need to keep them under the Flourescent for my sanity.
Do you have the light dimmed? Can you provide any other parameter info? Temps rh etc?

I Care

I wish I could, I don’t have any of that good stuff right now. I gave it up with my 5x5 and HPS. I tried different dimmer settings 40-80% and they really weren’t having it either way. Turned light green, clawing, yellowing, red coming out in trunks and down where the veins run into the leaves, they have shown signs of recovery over the last day and I may have let it go like that a day longer than I should have.

I know it’s not at all a bud quality issue, I am a little worried these couple days of light stress could have lasting affects though. Going to give it time and maybe run into flower as soon as I can get some propagates under the gentle Flourescent tubes.

I really don’t think it’s another factor as everything seemed to be doing better under Flourescent lighting, even my pole beans, broccoli, and cucumber seedlings seemed to be lightening up from the stress too.

Maybe it’s really important to have a dark period with the LED?

I Care

Under flower I should get denser and greasier puffage than I would with any other source of lighting. Just need to get them big and healthy and propagate before I make that commitment.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish I could, I don’t have any of that good stuff right now. I gave it up with my 5x5 and HPS. I tried different dimmer settings 40-80% and they really weren’t having it either way. Turned light green, clawing, yellowing, red coming out in trunks and down where the veins run into the leaves, they have shown signs of recovery over the last day and I may have let it go like that a day longer than I should have.

I know it’s not at all a bud quality issue, I am a little worried these couple days of light stress could have lasting affects though. Going to give it time and maybe run into flower as soon as I can get some propagates under the gentle Flourescent tubes.

I really don’t think it’s another factor as everything seemed to be doing better under Flourescent lighting, even my pole beans, broccoli, and cucumber seedlings seemed to be lightening up from the stress too.

Maybe it’s really important to have a dark period with the LED?
Im nearly certain your light is too intense for them. Without knowing temps, humidity and other stuff like your irrigation strategy, media etc im shooting in the dark here but you just described exactly what ive seed when i didnt have my lighting straightened out in veg. You cant just dim and wait 24 hours. Id dim down to 40% and give it a few days. I bet they green right up.

I Care

Everything else is good, as it was before going under the full spectrum LED. Let it ride out a little longer than I should have after uppotting the larger seedling in a differnet blend. It just took a little longer for the smaller seedlings to show the same symptoms in different soil mix.

So when i put them back under the LED I’ll do 40% and see if they stay looking good with that. I have a BK, SD and GKMxDblOGChem that I really don’t wanna burn up before I m ready to run them out.

little-soldier

this is because cannabinoids and terpenes are stratified on an upright plant according to light intensity. the closer to the top the higher the concentrations.

so when we scrog, especially under LEDs, we get more top-quality flowers by keeping more of the plant in the high-light zone.
if that was true then the top of my plants would always taste better than the rest of the plant but that is not alwys the case in my experience.

Last edited:

little-soldier

Btw do you even know what science means ? You sure we are in the same league here ?
You listen to so called scientists that beside theories have nothing with weed and smoking weed, all their "science" won't add up in real life hence a almost 200 page debate on bud quality under the same shitty light that they advertise and preach for and the same shitty light that again science says can't produce essential oils from lavander and allicin from garlic and I'm sure if I search there's a whole lot more of those examples of this super duper bunk light tech that fooled the messes and it sure won't be pretty for led fan boys.
Even jordi said led weed just doesn't hit the mouth right... JeeZ you think ?
It doesn't hit anything right haha
But please don't mind the science here, it's clearly contradicting your science, just ignore it for heaven sake !
So brother, I saw your history here and it's impressive I agree but stick to it and leave the science alone... going to a course won't make you know what your talking about all of a sudden although how nice if it was true..
This thread is fun and and all to see how led fan boys go outta their ways talking back on you like you insulted their mother non the less, where did I saw that kind of zeal... Oh yeah...
i dont trust any science. I trust my experience and sometimes someone elses.
science is for the thieves who run this world with paypa! but thats another topic

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dont trust any science. I trust my experience and sometimes someone elses.
science is for the thieves who run this world with paypa! but thats another topic
better not hit the hospital when you fall ill then, just dont do it way too much science junk in there 😂

Last edited: