What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

large-ish scale outdoor---building living soil

oct

Joe could you give me some examples of what you son uses when he makes his own teas? Like ratio of mix to water and products he uses, the kind of brewer or what he uses to brew. I'm gonna probably check out AEA microbe products still but tea brewing is interesting and I could set a nice one up.

I was thinking about maybe rotating between ewc, oly, malibu and maybe a local compost.

Other experienced tea guys please jump in. This may sound funny but in 6 years of growing, I have never brewed anything. I just always put stuff straight into my dirt.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Haha...who knows is the real answer.

For your aerobic teas follow Microbeman's advice. Do yourself a favor and get a vortex brewer of some kind. You could do these things weekly with no problem

A fairly regular thing my son does is spray the plants with kombucha he makes. That would be tough to do on a large scale. You would have to set up a really large scale brewing system.

He also uses this afalfa tea recipe from Graeme Sait http://blog.nutri-tech.com.au/lucerne-tea/. He uses a pinch of pepzyme in there also (I don't think he ever measures anything). And you want to brew it until it just starts to bubble on its own...you know it is alive for sure that way.

Plus this thing...although he skips milk I think. I will ask him about it tomorrow. http://blog.nutri-tech.com.au/diy-microbe-inoculum/

Plus no telling what else. He goes entirely by visual clues to decide how he is going to amend or foliar.

oct

New GH wrapped up and filled today

New GH wrapped up and filled today

I quit giving supplemental 1.5 weeks ago and let them slip into bloom. I'll start blacking out in a few days.

Main garden prep will begin Monday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 10

milkyjoe

Veteran
So, I have learned more about Nutri Live. For foliar:

A...the macros...3 ounces per 1000 square feet of garden
Part B...the micros....2 ounces per 1000 sq ft
Micro 5000/ PZ1000 (alternated weekly)...1/4 teaspoon
Pepzyme...2 ml

If you need them, and you do:
Mn (salute or rebound depending on if it matters that all your stuff is OMRI)....0.75 ounces
Mo....0.1 ounces
You may also need Zn but we need to see it first.

There are 29.57 ml in an ounce if you wanna make it easier.

Also, do not soak your leaves. All you need is a light mist. If you are using more than 1 gallon of water per 1000 ft then use these quantities but just dilute with water.

When the plants are small use less. I would guess let them get 3 ft tall before you go full blast.

oct

Thanks a lot milky. I'm getting final garden prep done right now. I'm pumped on my foliar regimen this year. I decided to wait until 6/1 to plant instead of going in early with lights.

My dep is chugging along nicely. Its a hodge-podge of different strains. A friend of mine had a bunch of mite and pm riden plants he pretty much let die while on vacation. He was gonna toss them when he came home so I swooped em up and nursed em back. 2nd run will be strictly jager. Can't wait to see how fat and chunky that jag finishes with prime sun. My GH gets 12 hours of direct light.

Not sure what strains in the pic but it smells delicious

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 11

St. Phatty

Joe could you give me some examples of what you son uses when he makes his own teas? Like ratio of mix to water and products he uses, the kind of brewer or what he uses to brew. I'm gonna probably check out AEA microbe products still but tea brewing is interesting and I could set a nice one up.

I was thinking about maybe rotating between ewc, oly, malibu and maybe a local compost.

Other experienced tea guys please jump in. This may sound funny but in 6 years of growing, I have never brewed anything. I just always put stuff straight into my dirt.

One example of teas is, using the run-off from a flowering crop that's been given FF Ocean Forest. That water that runs off can be a little rich.

I use it on other garden plants that are still treasured, e.g. some small coffee trees.

I have some soil (dirt, whatever) that is basically a hydroponic medium - there's nothing in it. It drains well, in some places.

I was thinking about putting one Cannabis plant there, in a pot with good soil. The roots grow into the basically sand below, and their nutes are the run-off from the top part of the root mass, the part that's in the pot.

That is sort of a compost tea. If the plant likes it, I'll be happy.

I find that if I 'grow casual' (no pH meter), maybe 1 in 10 seedlings will find the nutes to be Too Hot.

oct

A few more weeks for this one. Theres about 10 like it and they are all root-bound as hell in 5 gal containers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
wow that's some outdoor you got there! did you excavate below the planters or is all your special soil above ground level?

good luck!

oct

Thanks fellas. The native below the boxes is really nice now from growing in the same spot year after year. I might eventually do something in ground over a raised bed. The outskirts of the picture is what my grow area used to look like. I was looking at some old pics the other day from when I first bought my land and it was a trip. I'm fortunate to own a nice piece of equipment and also have a contractor as a best friend. He did a lot of the work out here.

oct

Jager

Jager

I don't know why but from my iphone I can't post more than one picture at a time in a single post. Anyway. Jager below and pineapple chunk in the second.

Got all my alfalfa laid and first cages set. The Christians I bought hay from were bordeline crazy. They should let people know that they don't sell stuff to anybody that doesn't accept Jesus christ as their lord and savior BEFORE people drive an hour to their house out in the sticks.

Irrigation starts gettind laid tmrw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Latest posts