What's new

Landraces . Will we ever smoke what we once had? If no is there a Way back?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
871eb730b378f2b5ca982b6cafafa830--vintage-advertisements-vintage-ads.jpg

White Beard

Thanks, Mengsk - I enjoyed both of those links.

I consider cannabis to be integral to my own religious path and self-realization; I imagine that’s not uncommon. I liken it to Castaneda’s sense of plant allies. Cannabis has been a true ally and teacher to me, ever since I got out of the stoner-comedy phase.

I can say confidently that I’m a better, more grounded, more creative man than I would have been had I not gone this way. I’ve absolutely been a better father than had I followed in my father’s footsteps (my father and my child agree). I have had amazing friendships with amazing people that have lasted generations and have been enriched in so many ways that I never saw my dad get to experience, and had I let them slot me into the machine I would be much poorer, if more wealthy, and I’d hate myself pretty awful by now, because none of that would have happened. Other things would have, it’s true, but I’m glad I came the way I did.

romanoweed

So yes White beard

I think your Project with random landraces open polluting Close related Landraces might lead to something.. I just rather would Isolate them, and jut cross every Strain with every Strain one after another!
I thougt further over CREATIO of Traits.. I found similarities if you think over Aromas/Effects: You cant really CREATE Aromas/Effects, no you only mix them together and maybe improove them a bit.
Yes there are some samples, i xperienced myselve. I can mix coconut with coffe and orange and get pinapple taste! But This is NOT the norm! Mostly it is inpossible to CREATE all the Flavours .
So, in comparison to Cannabis. I think you could Experiment with OONLY inbreeding, and may receate the INITIAL AROMAS! Try gooing inwards to create some pure.

BUT i still see the opposite: Outcrossing to A CERTAIN Degree might result in rather strong Breeds! I see evidence for that too. It s a BASIC discovery in reputable Breeding science.

Ao put it into one : try crossing in, and out seperatly, AND doo it TROUGH crossing every Plant with every other one by one. And look every time, if you was reaching out for a moore puure Result in the Inbreeding Project, andvice versa, if you gained more Outcrossing vigour in the Outcrossing Project.

romanoweed

So, Take per example all Southafricans, you can find, and try to purify them in the Inbreeding Project. Probably, you can bring out more of an initail Plant, a more pure one, one that has more of the unique Qualities of africans..

Go so broad in Inbreeding as NESSESARY... Probabaly you Need to even go as far as southwest and southeast Africa, to create a southAfrican.. Experiment ho far to go for TO create the Initial Effects

Additionally put an Eye on bad side effects, like per example, if you go to broad with West and Eastplants in the incrossing Project, you may loose the Stability of very pure Landraces..

So if that hapens, you shoult not go to far West and South, and probably take more plants of the middle of southafrica, and probably do much MORE inbreeding Generations witht them

AFTER you generated this MORE pure Landraces, you coult go on to the outcrossing Project, and use These Plants for it.

That means. you probably ended up with multiple good PURIFIED Southafrican Plants in the Inbreedingproject. You probably have some diffrent PURE traits, not just one, wich progresivly became visible , and split them up: namely per Ex. you might found some very woody smelling Plants, and purified woodiness, but also found Yellowlook, and purified it, whatever, but you just thought that this might been the most Initial purified Traits.

ANd this diffrent End-Plants maybe good for outcrossing rapidely

Basicacally i just would cross in separatly from crossing out!

Look if you can CREATE the Initial AROMAS/EFFECT, wich you only can assume, or maybe you ask an old Hippie, that is the first Goal i would aim for, and at the same time have an eye on not loosing stability.

romanoweed

I mean you seeme to have the same idea , but other than you im not shure if open pollination can bring Progress. There also is open pollinate in Nature, but then i dont call it open Pol. in therms of open... no, there it is much mor diverse Breeding-laws gooing.

So manmade open pollination is not the same

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Thanks, Mengsk - I enjoyed both of those links.

I consider cannabis to be integral to my own religious path and self-realization; I imagine that’s not uncommon. I liken it to Castaneda’s sense of plant allies. Cannabis has been a true ally and teacher to me, ever since I got out of the stoner-comedy phase.

I can say confidently that I’m a better, more grounded, more creative man than I would have been had I not gone this way. I’ve absolutely been a better father than had I followed in my father’s footsteps (father and child agree). I have had amazing friendships with amazing people that have lasted generations and have been enriched in so many ways that I never saw my dad get to experience, and had I let them slot me into the machine I would be much poorer, if more wealthy, and I’d hate myself pretty awful by now, because none of that would have happened. Other things would have, it’s true, but I’m glad I came the way I did.

G `day WB

Sorry to break it to you bro Castaneda was a hoaxer .
The plants and animals he described don`t live and grow in the region he said he studied in .

Also who the fck smokes mushrooms ? They smoke toad venom ...

Thanks for sharin

EB

grayeyes

And while we are on the subject of hoaxers, citing Kevin Jodrey, who is the foremost panderer on youtube, trying to find a corporate sponsor. If you watch any of his carefully crafted videos with a discerning eye you will discover they are not for you. They are ALL tailored at finding a corporate daddy. Every single one. And they are not to impart knowledge, they are a sales pitch for corporate sponsorship.

As for another hoaxer, take a look at the 'strain hunter' who is actually a greedy dutchman who 'discovers' beautiful landraces and trades his feminized seeds to farmers for their seeds, THEREBY killing the landrace. Isn't that true public service?

The hoax is that he is 'preserving' the landraces. Yes, look at his menu of strains. See all the landraces there? Oh, you don't? Hmm, that could be because he hoards those and only releases hybrids. And to make "preserving' even better, he only releases FEMINIZED SEED so you can grow and harvest THEN BUY THEN REPEAT. All into his pocket.

Congrats to all who buy this crap. I am going to continue growing heirlooms and landraces. When your 'doonesburyx donkeyearsx skunk isn't cutting it then you can look in the mirror and thank yourself for funding the extinction.

romanoweed

Its just that Problem here:
I dont know what to do:
1: Breeding Science doesent anwser me Questions, if we might be able to select better strains out of some remains of the Landraces.. Atleast my excursion into Breedingscience didnt made me wanna read further into it.
2. People who once was there when Ganja was quiet good (Smokers, Plant Researchers) have no overview how this actually happend, was it human breeding-selection, or was it Natures work.
3. Researcher nowdays doesent get ahold of good materiel nomore, atleast in halfe of the regions where landraces remain, nor do they often make exact comarisons with ganja of the good old times (70s) , describe,compare it.

That leads to following unsolved yet Situations:
1: Cause of no Report of how it came that we once had strong Landraces, we dont know if we can start it again. Probably it was just selection of the best, like often assumed, but never studied.. We may do it again from ground up, but we dont know

2: Again, would anyone have an insight, a Story surviving, about how this happend, if it happend ( cause if it was nature, then there might be no Story)

3: Would we know how Landraces today differ in Apperance, look, we could go on a hunt and look out, even the current new Hunters wich wouldnt have known the old strong Landraces of the 70s, but i have no idea what to look for.

This 3 Things could Help, but i dont find any of These Solutions, so the Thing i choose is phylosofing about Breeding, even i have not much knowledge. Thats the only Thing that remains for me. I may find something out.. But the Option of going for a hunt isnt really attractive, also cause like told already nobody can describe me what to look for.. It would make me muuch more willing to do so. Cause then i could atleast visualize this races, and when there, i could just use this Info to select offers on the street, reject 90 procent already. But without that it seems i would have to smoke 90 procent more, and with that be in 90 procent bigger Trouble, not so fun in these often harsch laws .. I basically would have to dig in hay, risking my freedom.. Im not complaing, just dooing something. I conclude, cause i didnt find so much substential info. Yeah again, we might also do this from ground up with science, but i have yet to find a study about landraces, also of Food-Plants. There is still a way, especially with science there might be an way to an endless source of strong landraces..

And i dont speak for columbian weed wich might remain in better Condition, i speak of all Landrace, like the legendary Thai weed, the insane Vietnamese, the wonderful mexican, the hawaian, you Name it

And shure something is still left.. Some older lines inbreed... Thats cool, but this also might find an end in Inbreeding-Mutation on the Long run.. How many do you Need to official preserve a single strain forever in open poll. ? 20000 plants... hahaha, ok with small plants multiplicated to a square field, its not thaaat much

Last edited:

romanoweed

This thread should help People to do their Part in bringin back the Landraces ,
and i will try not to tell my phylosophic ideas not so Extended Long.. hahaha Peace

White Beard

G `day WB

Sorry to break it to you bro Castaneda was a hoaxer .
The plants and animals he described don`t live and grow in the region he said he studied in .

Also who the fck smokes mushrooms ? They smoke toad venom ...

Thanks for sharin

EB
Quite true, Elmer, and fair enough: however, I have found the notion of the plant ally to be functionally accurate for me where cannabis is concerned, and I imagine that some may feel the same about ayahuasca. Even a fraud can say something real....

Its just that Problem here:
I dont know what to do:
1: Breeding Science doesent anwser me Questions, if we might be able to select better strains out of some remains of the Landraces.. Atleast my excursion into Breedingscience didnt made me wanna read further into it.
2. People who once was there when Ganja was quiet good (Smokers, Plant Researchers) have no overview how this actually happend, was it human breeding-selection, or was it Natures work.
3. Researcher nowdays doesent get ahold of good materiel nomore, atleast in halfe of the regions where landraces remain, nor do they often make exact comarisons with ganja of the good old times (70s) , describe,compare it.

That leads to following unsolved yet Situations:
1: Cause of no Report of how it came that we once had strong Landraces, we dont know if we can start it again. Probably it was just selection of the best, like often assumed, but never studied.. We may do it again from ground up, but we dont know

2: Again, would anyone have an insight, a Story surviving, about how this happend, if it happend ( cause if it was nature, then there might be no Story)

3: Would we know how Landraces today differ in Apperance, look, we could go on a hunt and look out, even the current new Hunters wich wouldnt have known the old strong Landraces of the 70s, but i have no idea what to look for.

This 3 Things could Help, but i dont find any of These Solutions, so the Thing i choose is phylosofing about Breeding, even i have not much knowledge. Thats the only Thing that remains for me. I may find something out.. But the Option of going for a hunt isnt really attractive, also cause like told already nobody can describe me what to look for.. It would make me muuch more willing to do so. Cause then i could atleast visualize this races, and when there, i could just use this Info to select offers on the street, reject 90 procent already. But without that it seems i would have to smoke 90 procent more, and with that be in 90 procent bigger Trouble, not so fun in these often harsch laws .. I basically would have to dig in hay, risking my freedom.. Im not complaing, just dooing something. I conclude, cause i didnt find so much substential info. Yeah again, we might also do this from ground up with science, but i have yet to find a study about landraces, also of Food-Plants. There is still a way, especially with science there might be an way to an endless source of strong landraces..

And i dont speak for columbian weed wich might remain in better Condition, i speak of all Landrace, like the legendary Thai weed, the insane Vietnamese, the wonderful mexican, the hawaian, you Name it

And shure something is still left.. Some older lines inbreed... Thats cool, but this also might find an end in Inbreeding-Mutation on the Long run.. How many do you Need to official preserve a single strain forever in open poll. ? 20000 plants... hahaha, ok with small plants multiplicated to a square field, its not thaaat much

My problem with the idea of isolating landrace cultivars is that landraces didn’t evolve as isolated plants...cannabis is open-pollinated in its natural habitat, and I truly believe that the renaissance of any landrace depends on repetitive *unguided* breeding among successive generations in a single population.

It’s been shown repeatedly that “hemp” will, through selection / interbreeding, attain a satisfactory potency. This strongly suggests that the full range of a race’s genetic potential manifests spontaneously (I predict this will end up being a big problem of “hemp” farmers whose produce is tested for the required minimum of THC).

A given race may be high or low in the things that we’ve decided to measure, but if we wish to ‘improve’ it, introducing a genetic strand into the pollination is the only “natural” way to do it.

I am only a breeder in spirit and intent; all this is speculation based on a lifetime of study and reflection, and taking in the excellent conversation of those who do breed and have bred. The day will come, though, when rubber meets road; when that happens, I will use what germs from my ancient bagseed, and I will test out my conclusions as best I possibly can.

I do agree with the idea that proliferation of feminized / clone-only genetics cause them to be greatly over-represented in the gene pool as its currently being worked (to judge by the threads I read here and elsewhere. Whether it’s an actual bottleneck or not still awaits the judgment of cannabis USERS down the line.

romanoweed

i know White beard you believe landraces are product of only nature. Atleast some example i might have. The strain black forest from kingdom organic. It was a wild viet crossed to some hawaixhaze. It was reported quiet strong. I think it eventually was the vietnamese, wich was the strong part. But then it might been just a breakout plant of nearby farmers too. I heard also other People saying Landr. are mans work, and science then i stopped my believe in nature only. Yes exactly probably our manmade Breeds can gain only CERTAIN traits, like vegetable becoming big, but unhealthy, flavour-poor on the downside. So Nature provides still the best QUALITY acording to this theory.
But i would never call this amount of indices evidence.. I stay with non believe

I heard of (remember right) Sam Skunkm. telling he believes strong landrace gems are simply manmade, cause the strains he gained in asia was often symbols of families wealth..

Hey and the preservation of a strain with 20000 plants was not the instruction how to gain gems. It was the instructio acording others to preserve gems of a strain (a single strain, or landrace??).. OR that was the shortcut of it. not describing if there needs to be inbreeding selection again before final product.
Just some shortcut how to get ahold of something(strain or landrace) (breeding-line, or final product). Wich is interesting on its own

I also found out the inpact of external genetics might be not as bad as thought. These Genes coul well die out fast.. I found out eventually, that snails per example eat only bad modern hybrids the most likely.. If you plant healthy landraces, they tend to not eat them as much.. still, but not as extreme like our modern vegtables. I would have to wach this further for a conclusion. Also indicas should budrott out soo fast in equator.. Hahaha

White Beard

IIRC what I originally said is that long-term observation of cannabis stands developing in situ has not happened, and it should. Despite the research to date, there is still a great deal we don’t know about the plant - and which we *won’t* know until we learn to watch what it does when we don’t fuck around with it.

Given the sheer range and number of products it’s capable of producing, it could well qualify as the first truly genetically modified plant (or maybe just the oldest). However, we’ve reached a point where we are more prone to making assumptions and jumping to conclusions than we are to make deductions and sound inferences based on true study.

I’m not saying you or anyone else is wrong, but non-belief is as much of an opinion as is belief.

And just to be clear, I said observation of “habitat” cannabis would teach us a lot - not that “all is nature”

romanoweed

Actually it doesent matter, but i didnt want to tell with/trough my non-believe in nature beeing doing the work, to believe that humans beeing doing the work.. i wanted to say that i stay with non-believe nature beeing dooing the work. hahah

Last edited:

romanoweed

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5296298/
Cool Link , about definition of landraces.. I found the people who constantly changed the definition of it very interesting as a Link. They should know much abou it.
Klick on these Persons names, and you get to some nice References. Thats all.
Quiet a good link.
One link followed brought me to here:
https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/journals/hortsci/47/6/article-p801.xml (American Society for Horticultural Science) (google scholar provides it?)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
What is a landrace of Cannabis?
If you refer to landrace varieties in Afghanistan or Thailand you are refering to varieties selected and maintained by man.
Cannabis that is truly wild has low THC. Countries like Kazakstan do have landraces that are not maintained by man, maybe they did escape from man originally? Without man the THC levels drop quickly.
Man selects for potentcy, Yield, flower to leaf ratio, resin, tastes and smells, no intersex, as well as the type of effects and the ability to perform well in the local area. They save the seeds of the plants that fit their goals and use only those seeds the next year to plant. Be it for drug ganja or Hashish or seed yield or fiber yield or quality.

In the West the numbers used can not maintain a landrace, to preserve a landrace without major gene loss requires at least 2000 open pollinated plants, 1,000 male and 1,000 females or genes will be lost every reproduction cycle and the genepool will be quite different in a decade. In the West no breeder uses 2000 open pollinated plants from seed half males and half females to preserve any landrace, they grow some seeds and select out a few to maintain as clones and reproduce their slice of the original landrace.

Cannabis is a Heterozygous, Dioecious, Obligate Outcrosser and requires large numbers to keep a landrace maintained, and man helps with that management by eliminating poor yielding, low potency, low resin, intersex, or other traits that the farmers do not desire.

Traditional Cannabis producing areas have centuries of experience that allowed them to produce sinsemilla like in Thailand or massive resin yields like in Afghanistan, they have different methods for different goals, they only grow seeded Cannabis for resin in Afghganistan and that has changed the resin over the years so it is half THC and half CBD as they do not smoke the individual plants with the most resin that they save the seeds of, they smoke resin from a whole field of plants, where Ganja producers in Thailand can and do smoke and try and save the seeds of their best individual plants for the next years crop. If they grow sinsi only they need to get their seeds from a farmer specialist that does grow seeded plants and knows what they are doing. That knowledge is being lost.

And WLD varieties are being introduced to many areas like Mexico, Jamaica, and elsewhere like Morocco, you can't find any original landraces in Morocco they are all hybids today, as in Morocco all the Cannabis grown is seeded wanted or not, same with Sinse growers in Mexico and Jamaica, just a bit slower for the landraces to be all hybrids, and the same with any traditional Cannabis producing areas that have many western tourists traveling to that area, they the tourists are thinking they are helping the local farmers but at what cost to the local landrace genepool?

-SamS

Last edited:

romanoweed

Thanx sam

I Also saw in the Strainhunters series that there were some Farmers in Africa wich actually said they do Selection.. They didnt say how, or it was the wise mans wich did it , not the young ones wich told about it. But they said they do something and its not just open pollination atleast there. What Episode was it Strainhuntes in malawi if remember right.
I Heard to, that the Gems wich are strong are made by man. I dont doubt nor do i just belive, atleast as there are not so many people telling the same or that there is a certain indice for that.
Did you actually assume that the Cbd content in Afghani cannabis, wich you said comes trough Selection of rather fields than individual plants is the Sign for a certain Wild Trait left over? Its the common view wild plants containing mostly cbd.
But in the end i want a report of your Ideas, wich surely seems hard to get. The only ones wich could provide that indice are the wise man in local Villages telling and giving Indices, like per example they grow remotely and there was no interferance with wild Pollen. Or modern tecnique like Genetic analysis coupled with mapping of old material could provide Indices, or is that possible with dead material..?

I want Indices. So long i keep phylosophing.
Is still a bit funny to think its only man (not launghable but strange to turn out to be man). Atleast the Gems seem to accure only local, not on a global trade by Hybisizing (in my view, i like tripweed). It may be the last solution to outcross, yes, but not the perfect.. Also i have strong indices that the Tripweed sample i smoked was a vietnamese Hemp plant , or a wild one. One or the other, it was just labeled Hemp from the collector and not found in human Garden , more by walking by. Could be a Escapist still, could also be wild natures work science in vietnam there is many wild cannabis. Also the halfway vietnamese Strain Black Forest from Kindong organic is said to be wild plant found in Jungle. Bouth have goooood strong reports.
That makes me still wonder if Nature can do the same.
It would actually be a easier task. But is it mans work, then we would need to do 2 things, not one: first let Nature perform a Renaturalisation to purify Plants again, and secound we need to select them like they once did to get the Gems.
Otherwise we only would need the Denatuarlisation. Sience my own Experience pointed thowards some wild breeds, i still tend to this theory. But probably these wild samples are rather the closesst Representatives of the old Manselections, cause they may be escapists, open pollinating..

I want more indices, evenn just pics wich show plants in a scenerie. Could help to determine what caused it (The Scenerie would do that helping). Coupled with short Smokedescriprtion would help

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
THC/CBD

THC/CBD

x
Thanx sam

I Also saw in the Strainhunters series that there were some Farmers in Africa wich actually said they do Selection.. They didnt say how, or it was the wise mans wich did it , not the young ones wich told about it. But they said they do something and its not just open pollination atleast there. What Episode was it Strainhuntes in malawi if remember right.
I Heard to, that the Gems wich are strong are made by man. I dont doubt nor do i just belive, atleast as there are not so many people telling the same or that there is a certain indice for that.
Did you actually assume that the Cbd content in Afghani cannabis, wich you said comes trough Selection of rather fields than individual plants is the Sign for a certain Wild Trait left over? Its the common view wild plants containing mostly cbd.

IN AFGHANISTAN THEY SAVE THE SEEDS OF ANY PLANT WITH LOTS OF RESIN BUT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT SMOKE INDIVIDUAL PLANTS THEY HAVE NO IDEA IF THE RESIN IS THC OR CBD THEY JUST HAVE LOTS OF RESIN. AFTER YEARS OF DOING THIS THEY GET A THC/CBD PROFILE, IF YOU TEST GROW IMPORTED CANNABIS SEEDS FROM AFGHANISTAN YOU FIND 25% HIGH IN THC, 25% HIGH IN CBD, AND 50% HIGH IN THC/CBD. I HAVE IMPORTED MANY SEED POPULATIONS FROM AFGHANISTAN AND THAT IS WHAT I FIND WHEN I GROW AND TEST THEM.
-SamS

But in the end i want a report of your Ideas, wich surely seems hard to get. The only ones wich could provide that indice are the wise man in local Villages telling and giving Indices, like per example they grow remotely and there was no interferance with wild Pollen. Or modern tecnique like Genetic analysis coupled with mapping of old material could provide Indices, or is that possible with dead material..?

I want Indices. So long i keep phylosophing.
Is still a bit funny to think its only man (not launghable but strange to turn out to be man). Atleast the Gems seem to accure only local, not on a global trade by Hybisizing (in my view, i like tripweed). It may be the last solution to outcross, yes, but not the perfect.. Also i have strong indices that the Tripweed sample i smoked was a vietnamese Hemp plant , or a wild one. One or the other, it was just labeled Hemp from the collector and not found in human Garden , more by walking by. Could be a Escapist still, could also be wild natures work science in vietnam there is many wild cannabis. Also the halfway vietnamese Strain Black Forest from Kindong organic is said to be wild plant found in Jungle. Bouth have goooood strong reports.
That makes me still wonder if Nature can do the same.
It would actually be a easier task. But is it mans work, then we would need to do 2 things, not one: first let Nature perform a Renaturalisation to purify Plants again, and secound we need to select them like they once did to get the Gems.
Otherwise we only would need the Denatuarlisation. Sience my own Experience pointed thowards some wild breeds, i still tend to this theory. But probably these wild samples are rather the closesst Representatives of the old Manselections, cause they may be escapists, open pollinating..

I want more indices, evenn just pics wich show plants in a scenerie. Could help to determine what caused it (The Scenerie would do that helping). Coupled with short Smokedescriprtion would help

Latest posts

Latest posts