What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landraces . Will we ever smoke what we once had? If no is there a Way back?

romanoweed

I have to add: The Legends about LAndraces beeing inbreed seems mostly to come from Foodplants. Before the time that People agreed we need more Landraces, they praised inbreeding alot more. And it could have been that some LAndraces like Tomatos were made of, but i could imagine People was praising some compromised Plants wich just offered the best Taste AND Harvest. People may also not have been too critical about Taste, as we Cannabis-smokers are, since we influence our Mind, not our Taste-sens. We may be more sensible.

Aswell People might experience some Landraces beeing inbreed when visiting Contries, of Origin, and this could be a Indice that they really are inbreed,shure, BUT then they should ask, is the resuling Seeds they produce at this moment the Top-Seeds of the 70s, the BEST ever Reported? OR is it not quiet so good. If the anwser is, its not the Mythical TRipweed, or whatever the Myth for the particullar Race is, then its maybe a Landrace at its Degeneration. If it is soo good like its Myths, (maybe the Seed-collector smoked the Legendary Weed, and knows what to expect) then it might be an Indiz for Inbreeding. So ,i aprecciate some of what Mr.Greengenes said, with a slight Refference (some Magazine), but might be the Storry of not quiet a Gemstone Tomato.

But again, there might be soooo much more Reasons what made Landraces strong. 1: Selection while initial Wildplant-collection
2: Accumulation of Wild Plants
3: Special croosing-Patterns with collected Wild Plants
4: Just say hunting of the one in a million Wild-Plants , call it Selecting. (Shure i meant selecting with Wild Plant collectiong mentioned before, but eventually works without, so only special Crossing-Patterns alone could do the Trick)

rolandomota

Veteran
So who is buying pure sativa seeds and growing them their are lots of strains out their that are like the old school smoke they ate unpolluted and their everywhere theirs no need for speculation just get them and grow them don't fear the flower time or let the low thc level discourage you

ahortator

Veteran
So who is buying pure sativa seeds and growing them their are lots of strains out their that are like the old school smoke they ate unpolluted and their everywhere theirs no need for speculation just get them and grow them don't fear the flower time or let the low thc level discourage you

Hi bro. Do you think is it still possible to get pure sativa seeds from Mexico?

I wood

So who is buying pure sativa seeds and growing them

I am.
Up to about 9 years ago I read with much envy about the landraces of the past. Never ran into any of them on the open market but was gifted a few choice buds from a kind deadhead lady i used to babysit for, once in 1988. I got good at growing and quit buying pot about that time as well.
Fast forward thirty years and things have changed so much.
Now im sitting on about 25 landraces and another 25 or so sativa only hybrids. This isnt even counting the dozens of seed lines ive made recently. Sativas are available to those who go looking.
I love the challenge of growing long flowering sativas, anything faster than 12 weeks seems quick these days.
khmer gold, durban and tom hill haze are my go to jars lately, life is good.

BabTaHerbless

well, just wondering about the time i will be able to get nuff relation that permit me to grew and preserve some Original stuff 'round the world in the place them always had grew like feral...

a free laughable though from a wasted dreamer, still romantic child despite my age ...

romanoweed

Probably we should ask him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uNpjqH-mQQ he breeds the strongest Peppers.. he breeds them like 5 Times stronger than the hottest known Race before him.
First he mentinoed interbreeding, then atleast 8 Generations of inbreeding For Stabilisation. But if i understand Interbreeding right he gets the Traits , the Potency out of interbreeding???? and inbreeding is only Stabilisation?? We should interview him. He seems to do that for Centuries with large Numbers .. Thats what we ned in Cannabis, right??
If someone has time contacting him and ask the Reciepe, please doo

romanoweed

How is that actually: when People speak of proper Breeding they often mean : Inbreeding, or stabylisation.
But when they perform a last Outcross (wich they often do at the End), isnt that unstabylizing the Strain? Im shure it gives a Variation between wanted Parent 1 and Parent 2 wich is acceptable, call it even a "nice" Variance.

Could i actually do that with 10 Outcrosses at the End of the Breeding-Project? All high Degree stabylized individual Lines , then 10 times outcrossed?

And What would be the Benefit over the opposite Way, first outcross 10 individual Lines, and then inbreed..?

beta

Veteran
Inbreeding reduces vigor big time. It works to fix traits, but now you've got those traits fixed in a shit plant that's prone to disease and doesn't grow well. That's what hybridization fixes while potentially adding new and novel traits.

Inbreeding, in general, is bad. Just like it is with dogs and people. If it's used carefully it can be helpful but it's not the final step for any breeding project.

PS: Most landraces are trash. The herb from the vast majority of landraces sucks. The only possible advantage of landraces is that they might have 1 or 2 traits that we've since accidentally lost.

How is that actually: when People speak of proper Breeding they often mean : Inbreeding, or stabylisation.
But when they perform a last Outcross (wich they often do at the End), isnt that unstabylizing the Strain? Im shure it gives a Variation between wanted Parent 1 and Parent 2 wich is acceptable, call it even a "nice" Variance.

Could i actually do that with 10 Outcrosses at the End of the Breeding-Project? All high Degree stabylized individual Lines , then 10 times outcrossed?

And What would be the Benefit over the opposite Way, first outcross 10 individual Lines, and then inbreed..?

meizzwang

PS: Most landraces are trash. The herb from the vast majority of landraces sucks. The only possible advantage of landraces is that they might have 1 or 2 traits that we've since accidentally lost.

Just like alcohol, people are going to want choices when they have the option to do so. They're going to eventually get tired of different flavors but similar highs. Breeders today are chasing looks, flavors and strength, tomorrow they will be chasing looks and flavors with quality, unique highs. Many are aware that modern cannabis has either skunk, northern lights, or dutch genes in them somewhere in their lineage. Name a single sought after modern day variety that doesn't.

Before legalization, you got whatever you could get, but with legalization, these landraces will be the connoisseur's choice, as many have very unique highs, flavors, and effects you can't get in modern day cannabis. Today, those weak "garbage" landrace buds that before only gave you nothing more than a headache can now be turned into rosin, which makes them more psychoactive and enjoyable. Small craft companies will spend the time and energy refining and producing them for a premium, much like you see in the alcohol industry.

Let's not forget about the CBD and hemp revolution happening right now, these industries might blow up bigger than the THC market simply because politics still favor non-THC products from Cannabis. CBD products are already showing up everywhere in supermarkets in the US. Both markets are heavily reliant upon landraces to progress. There's far more than 1-2 traits in landraces that will be sought after.

clearheaded

there is a certain guy who comes around this forum who has a boat load, however there is a reason breeders have typically not released " landraces". because soo much variation many poor traits ie small buds with no potency that hermi. and the "landraces" released are usually not "landraces" and have some selection so not really landrace (which is really what you want to grow).

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
do you mean the herb folks have grown from so called landraces ,
or the stuff that was grown in their original location ,
ie thai , colombian etc ...

because from what ive tried they certainly were not trash be any standards and are the basis for the successful varieties today ,
like haze etc ...

romanoweed

That is the Thing many Prople say, wich have smoked todays Landraces, and is actually spot on the Thematic of my Thread: will we ever smoke it again what we once had... Im googling These modern Thai-Races every day, and reject them mostly.

So, yeah if you call todays Thaiweed the same, beeing smokable again, then i wanna tell you that the majority of Smokereports from todays Weed, (let allone their bad Manicuringprocess) differs substencially from the highnumbered Tripreports from 70s Landraces , especially from Vietnam, Thailand and Surroundings.

So even i cant agree with your Choice of Words, i can imagine the todays Landraces are degraded considerably, based on what i hear..

I just dont wanna say 70s Gemstone-Landrace all the time, but thats what i mean in the Title : Will we ever smoke it again

So can we probably differ between modern Landraces and 70s Gemstone Landraces, it would clarify alot

Last edited:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I want as many shitty landrace as possible... Anytime you find some garbage landrace let me know beta... I'd love em...
It's all about knowing how to grow.. 90% of people will never do it right... indoor they dont have the quality of light, or they use chem nutes... outdoor the majority of civilized places are too far from equator. Very slim odds of people doing things properly.. Thankfully now we have great LEDs... look at how many amazing grows have popped up in the last 2 years because of led... High quality sativa\landrace grows finally becoming mass spread YAY.
I want to collect columbian, nigerian,ethiopian,malawi, viet,burmese,thai..

I have a little stash with a few landrace like mangobiche, kerala, kuamoni Nepal, vietblack, zamal... I still want to get punto rojo, columbian gold, ethiopian, malawian, nigerian, thai, Burmese, Mexicans, etc etc but I have my work cut out for me with what I have already. I believe a lot of people skip to another strain before they truly see out the 1st one.... I'd like to say I gave everything a true and fair shot.... I really hope to find and share many special things so they dont get lost and my efforts are not in vain.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I agree Doc.

I have a Swazi I grew here. It's impressive but I can't compare it to some thing in the mountains of Swaziland. Never been there.

I have been to Honduras and found my soul mate. I had a hell of a time getting it to grow here, but I got 2 to grow outdoor to harvest. I know exactly what I'm expecting so I'm anxious for a month or 2 to cure before I know if I was successful in replicating the jungle conditions.

romanoweed

Ok , the Kind of Growenviroment, is the secound Thing i ask People to differenciate aswell. Please tell if it was : full Spectrum, Led, Metalhalyde, or at wich degree Latitude, it would clarify alot too

I have read all to often you need very high Power Lamps , aswell as full Spectrum Light for true Expression

Last edited:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Well the main thing is... Before people had HID... with 1 light source... the corner of the footprint\lights reach was weak....
Now with LED there is light covering the entire above space of the grow... Bright from middle to corner. Making a dramatic improvement in quality of grows being done.
Also more manageable heat so no stressed plants, etc...

Latest posts

Latest posts